God tested Abraham - Abram of UR - To sacrifice his Son

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Link Directive - All considerable information for the benefit of skeptics, believers, or unbelievers. Keep growing and maturing, look at the scriptures and seek truth, and may the spirit guide.

Abram of Ur, was found to be a righteous man. He lived among Chaldeans.

Genesis 11:
27 This is the account of Terah’s family line.

Terah became the father of Abram, Nahor and Haran. And Haran became the father of Lot. 28 While his father Terah was still alive, Haran died in Ur of the Chaldeans, in the land of his birth. 29 Abram and Nahor both married. The name of Abram’s wife was Sarai, and the name of Nahor’s wife was Milkah; she was the daughter of Haran, the father of both Milkah and Iskah. 30 Now Sarai was childless because she was not able to conceive.

31 Terah took his son Abram, his grandson Lot son of Haran, and his daughter-in-law Sarai, the wife of his son Abram, and together they set out from Ur of the Chaldeans to go to Canaan. But when they came to Harran, they settled there.

32 Terah lived 205 years, and he died in Harran.

Abram is called by Yahava, and told to go from his country (his former life - the old life); and to go to a country, which he would end up getting land, he would leave his people, and his own fathers household. Yahava, promised to make him into a great nation, and bless him, and that he would be a blessing. He promised blessing and curses, and all people of the land would be blessed through Him because why? He was a man of faith. While living in his prior home, he was surrounded by those who would worship idols and things of that nature, and Yahava, found him to be a righteous man who did not bow to those things.

Genesis 12: 1 Yahava had said to Abram, “Go from your country, your people and your father’s household to the land I will show you.

2 “I will make you into a great nation,
and I will bless you;
I will make your name great,
and you will be a blessing.[a]
3 I will bless those who bless you,
and whoever curses you I will curse;
and all peoples on earth
will be blessed through you.”[b]
4 So Abram went, as the Lord had told him; and Lot went with him. Abram was seventy-five years old when he set out from Harran. 5 He took his wife Sarai, his nephew Lot, all the possessions they had accumulated and the people they had acquired in Harran, and they set out for the land of Canaan, and they arrived there.
Abram, left his former lifestyle surrounded by the Chaldeans and Lot decided to go with him, and he also took his wife Sarah.

God changed the name of Abram to Abraham, and also changes Sarai to Sarah - Sarah though it would be a good idea for Abraham to take on a wife considering Yahava, did not yet give them a child and Ishmael was born but he was not the child of promised, but Abraham asked the Lord, to give a blessing to Ishamel a blessing and Yahava promises to make him a great nation. However Gods covenant would be when Isaac had come, which after he was done speaking he went up from Abraham.
Genesis 17: 15 God also said to Abraham, “As for Sarai your wife, you are no longer to call her Sarai; her name will be Sarah. 16 I will bless her and will surely give you a son by her. I will bless her so that she will be the mother of nations; kings of peoples will come from her.”

17 Abraham fell facedown; he laughed and said to himself, “Will a son be born to a man a hundred years old? Will Sarah bear a child at the age of ninety?” 18 And Abraham said to God, “If only Ishmael might live under your blessing!”

19 Then God said, “Yes, but your wife Sarah will bear you a son, and you will call him Isaac.[d] I will establish my covenant with him as an everlasting covenant for his descendants after him. 20 And as for Ishmael, I have heard you: I will surely bless him; I will make him fruitful and will greatly increase his numbers. He will be the father of twelve rulers, and I will make him into a great nation. 21 But my covenant I will establish with Isaac, whom Sarah will bear to you by this time next year.” 22 When he had finished speaking with Abraham, God went up from him.
After the birth of Isacc, - God brought a woman womb who was 99 years old back to life, and also used Abarhams old body to bring forth a son which was promised. Abraham due to this amazing doing of God, Sarah gave birth to Isacc as promised, while they were both ancient and in a sense dead.

God comes to test, Abraham, to see if he would willingly sacrifice his Son. Before Abraham goes up to mount Moriah for sacrifice he says that him and his lad (maybe 17-18) at the time that they would be back. Perhaps on the way there Abraham had thought well if God can bring my son back from the dead if I was to kill him, considering God gave him to me I will give him back, and maybe he will bring him back to life. Maybe he will give me something else to sacrifice instead of my son who was to bring forth the promise of a blessing to many peoples. And upon the "ACT", God stopped him, and there was a ram which God provided instead.

All of this was a vision of when the Lord Jesus Christ would end up being the sacrifice, where Isacc would carry on the promise being part of the Covenant which God had offered unto Abraham for being obedient, and believing in him.

Now it came to pass after these things that God tested Abraham, and said to him, “Abraham!”

And he said, “Here I am.”

2 Then He said, “Take now your son, your only son Isaac, whom you love, and go to the land of Moriah, and offer him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains of which I shall tell you.”

3 So Abraham rose early in the morning and saddled his donkey, and took two of his young men with him, and Isaac his son; and he split the wood for the burnt offering, and arose and went to the place of which God had told him. 4 Then on the third day Abraham lifted his eyes and saw the place afar off. 5 And Abraham said to his young men, “Stay here with the donkey; the [a]lad and I will go yonder and worship, and we will come back to you.”

6 So Abraham took the wood of the burnt offering and laid it on Isaac his son; and he took the fire in his hand, and a knife, and the two of them went together. 7 But Isaac spoke to Abraham his father and said, “My father!”
Abraham did not doubt God and his promise. He willingly was going to give his Son because God had gave him the son in the first place.

Hebrews were very different than us today - and some people out there will consider this a highly sacrilegious act.

Last edited:

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If anyone has any thoughts on what happened between Abraham and God, and this covenant. Anything at all please feel free to share any information you would like to provide. This is one of the greatest stories in history because it is what God would end up doing, in sending his Word, whom who become his beloved, and then only begotten son after resurrection.

Yeshua, was willingly to give up his life, and it seems issac was too, but Abraham though his faith believed God would do his part, and he did. He provided a ram at that time, but would provide a lamb later on far, far, far into the future.

Abraham saw way into the future in that day he would - in my opinion. Provide a way to for all people to be blessed, all because of Abrahams faith.

Amazing things founded in the old testament narrative, though there are many people that doubt it, or don't look into it, or investigate, may you be encouraged to do your own investigating.

On more mention here of this narrative is the fact of Abraham and his 'works of faith', he trusted God thus he acted... Faith without works is dead. May the Holy Spirit guide you, or the Spirit of Christ within you, guide you to love just as the Lord Jesus Christ had commanded, believe and love.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Testing of Faith. Abraham knew God would provide a way, and he continued to do and obey as the LORD said, only to be stopped in the nick of time.

What a good God we do serve.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Abram is called by Yahava, and told to go from his country (his former life - the old life); and to go to a country, which he would end up getting land, he would leave his people, and his own fathers household. Yahava, promised to make him into a great nation, and bless him, and that he would be a blessing. He promised blessing and curses, and all people of the land would be blessed through Him because why? He was a man of faith. While living in his prior home, he was surrounded by those who would worship idols and things of that nature, and Yahava, found him to be a righteous man who did not bow to those things.

This is what the scriptures state in Genesis 12:1-3

Promises to Abram
(Acts 7:2-5)

12:1 Now the Lord had said[1] to Abram:[2]
"Get out of your country,
From your family
And from your father's house,
To a land/an earth that I will show you.
2 I will make you a great nation;
I will bless you
And make your name great;
And you shall be a blessing.
3 I will bless those who bless you,
And I will curse him who curses you;
And in/through you all the families of the earth/ground/land [3] shall be blessed."​

You then make the claim that Abraham was given land in the Land of Canaan which Stephen in Acts 7 plainly said that Abraham did not get any land on which he could rest his feet upon.

This is what we are told in Genesis 13 about God giving land to Abraham's descendants:-

14 And the Lord said to Abram, after Lot had separated from him: "Lift your eyes now and look from the place where you are — northward, southward, eastward, and westward; 15 for all the land/earth which you see I give to you and/, {that (entity)}, I will give to your descendants forever/for a long period of time whose ending, which is beyond man’s comprehension, is at the vanishing point, {of this particular time period}, in the future.[4] 16 And I will make your descendants as the dust of the earth; so that if a man could number the dust of the earth, then your descendants also could be numbered. 17 Arise, walk in the land/ my earth through its length and its width, for I give it to you/this I will give. "​

In Genesis 15, God clarifies the land that Abraham had seen in his journeys up and until this time when Lot separated from him, by giving a description of the land that He would give as a sign covenant, that eventually He, God, would give after the end of the seventh age of mankind the whole earth as a possession. Danien 7 clarifies this in verse 27.

Matthew, you need to meditate on the scriptures and study them more closely before you begin to teach on them. Particularly when what you teach in part is flawed and not in keeping with the Word of God.

Shalom

[1] The Lord called Abram while he was in Ur (see Gen 15:7; Acts 7:2); but the sequence here makes it look like it was after the family left to migrate to Canaan (11:31-32). Genesis records the call of Abram at this place in the narrative because it is the formal beginning of the account of Abram. The record of Terah was brought to its end before the narrative of Abraham begins.
[2] The call of Abram begins with an imperative לֶךְ־ לְךָ֛ (lekh-l®kha, "go out") followed by three cohortatives (v. 2 a) indicating purpose or consequence ("that I may" or "then I will"). If Abram leaves, then God will do these three things. The second imperative (v. 2 b, literally "and be a blessing") is subordinated to the preceding cohortatives and indicates God's ultimate purpose in calling and blessing Abram. On the syntactical structure of vv. 1-2 see R. B. Chisholm, "Evidence from Genesis," A Case for Premillennialism, 37. For a similar sequence of volitive forms see Gen 45:18.
It would be hard to overestimate the value of this call and this divine plan for the theology of the Bible. Here begins God's plan to bring redemption to the world. The promises to Abram will be turned into a covenant in Gen 15 and 22 (here it is a call with conditional promises) and will then lead through the Bible to the work of the Messiah.
[3] The Hebrew Root of הָאֲדָמָֽה, H:0127, has the meaning of soil, and is akin to a fertile field/face of the land/world.
Genesis 2:7: –– 7 And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being.
One could argue that what is being said here is that all of the peoples of the world that occupy God’s fertile field/ground will be blessed. The flip side of this covenant is that all of the people who do not occupy God’s fertile field/ground will be cursed.
[4] Another way of saying this verse might be: - “15 for all the earth which you see, that entity, I will give to your descendants for a long period of time where the end point of that time period, will be beyond your descendants capacity to comprehend when the possession of the described land will end.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for sharing, @Jay Ross.

I remember when Joshua, gave out land to all the descendants of Abraham.

I believe that promise came through Jacob?

I will make your descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and will give them all these lands, and through your offspring all nations on earth will be blessed, Genesis 26:4

There are many times where God promised something and people did not see what was promised but they had hope for it, living in faith. Seeing them only from a far distance.

Hebrews 11:13 All these people were still living by faith when they died. They did not receive the things promised; they only saw them and welcomed them from a distance, admitting that they were foreigners and strangers on earth.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Thank you for sharing, @Jay Ross.

I remember when Joshua, gave out land to all the descendants of Abraham.

I believe that promise came through Jacob?

There are many times where God promised something and people did not see what was promised but they had hope for it, living in faith. Seeing them only from a far distance.
Ah! Matthew, you are missing what I have said. I said the possession of the prescribed land was a sign that God would give His people the whole earth at a future time. This land was given for a period of time and the nation of Israel lost their possession of that land because of their continual idolatrous worship.

Israel still needs to be scattered throughout the nation of the earth so that they can be a blessing to all of the people that they will rub shoulders with while they are still scattered.

You need to sit down and meditate on the scriptures a lot more and not just regurgitate what the traditions of our past "teachers" have taught.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't know what you are saying @Jay Ross, you just came up and shared randomly, for whatever reason you wanted to, friend. Me and you tend to see things differently anyway, remember? Therefore if you feel like sharing and teaching, you can always be welcomed to make your own threads.

I didn't even read what you posted, I will be honest with you, only just glanced.

And this will my first warning on goading with your comment "you need to sit down and mediate on the scriptures."

Thank you for understanding sir.

Last edited:

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You then make the claim that Abraham was given land in the Land of Canaan which Stephen in Acts 7 plainly said that Abraham did not get any land on which he could rest his feet upon.

Perhaps that is why people look for a heavenly kingdom: Jay.

Hebrews 11:13 All these people were still living by faith when they died. They did not receive the things promised; they only saw them and welcomed them from a distance, admitting that they were foreigners and strangers on earth.

Jesus said that his kingdom is not of this world.

“Jesus said, 'My kingdom is not from this world. If my kingdom were from this world, my servants would be fighting to keep me from being handed over to the Jews. But, as it is, my kingdom is not from here'” (John 18:36).

I will not put up with any goading, on these made threads.

You are welcome to post, but remember if you are gonna goad, please think before you post.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
More from the writer of hebrews on this subject.

Hebrews 11:

8 By faith Abraham, when he was called, obeyed [i]by going out to a place which he was to receive for an inheritance; and he went out, not knowing where he was going.

9 By faith he lived as an alien in the land of promise, as in a foreign land, dwelling in tents with Isaac and Jacob, fellow heirs of the same promise;

10 for he was looking for the city which has foundations, whose architect and builder is God.

11 By faith even Sarah herself received [j]ability to conceive, even beyond the proper time of life, since she considered Him faithful who had promised.

12 Therefore there was born even of one man, and him as good as dead [k]at that, as many descendants as the stars of heaven in number, and innumerable as the sand which is by the seashore.

13 All these died in faith, without receiving the promises, but having seen them and having welcomed them from a distance, and having confessed that they were strangers and exiles on the earth.

14 For those who say such things make it clear that they are seeking a country of their own.

15 And indeed if they had been [l]thinking of that country from which they went out, they would have had opportunity to return.

16 But as it is, they desire a better country, that is, a heavenly one. Therefore God is not [m]ashamed to be called their God; for He has prepared a city for them.

17 By faith Abraham, when he was tested, offered up Isaac, and he who had received the promises was offering up his only begotten son;

18 it was he to whom it was said, “In Isaac your [n]descendants shall be called.”

19 [o]He considered that God is able to raise people even from the dead, from which he also received him back [p]as a type.

20 By faith Isaac blessed Jacob and Esau, even regarding things to come.

21 By faith Jacob, as he was dying, blessed each of the sons of Joseph, and worshiped, leaning on the top of his staff.

22 By faith Joseph, when he was dying, made mention of the exodus of the sons of Israel, and gave orders concerning his bones.

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No resistance on Abrahams part. Seems like human sacrifice wasn't unknown.

There's a theory that the OT was sanitized to omit the practice of human sacrifices for sins.
Because animals incapable of sin cannot cover in their blood the sin atonement of human sin.

Which is why Jesus was sacrificed as the last human to die for the sins of the whole world. And as a sign God as Jesus shed his blood to seal a new covenant with man.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God said abraham believed . abraham obeyed . abraham had faith IN GOD .
I have a quick question mathew .
How come People dont beleive WHAT JESUS says . I mean this did not do abraham . GOD said , abraham believed .
So how come folks dont beleive What JESUS says about those who hear and beleive not .
Why do they try and omit damnation . IF JESUS says , we ought to simply believe and also teach and do such things .
Just a real friendly reminder to all . Because IF JESUS SAID IT , GOD SAID IT . Be encouraged everyone . THE LORD is our hope
and our salvation . AND HE HAS PROMISED ETERNAL LIFE unto all who do beleive . Let us be hearers and doers of THE WORD .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And so shall the lambs be tested . My advice is this , no matter what we hear a person say
YOU LET GOD BE TRUE but every man a liar . IN other words if anything anyone teaches contradicts GOD , CHRIST
My advice is HEED IT NOT , BELIEVE IT NOT .
Believe GOD , believe CHRIST .

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because people willfuly choose what they want to hear, and what they want to see, would be my answer to your question Amigo. Its best to stay near to the source and read that bible and learn whats there.

Reactions: amigo de christo

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OH , one more quick reminder . ITS LORD PRAISING and THANKING time in the building and round the world .
SO LIFT those hands up and praise the glorious LORD .

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No resistance on Abrahams part. Seems like human sacrifice wasn't unknown.

There's a theory that the OT was sanitized to omit the practice of human sacrifices for sins.
Because animals incapable of sin cannot cover in their blood the sin atonement of human sin.

Which is why Jesus was sacrificed as the last human to die for the sins of the whole world. And as a sign God as Jesus shed his blood to seal a new covenant with man.

You might be right. Eventually even the israelites made a false god named Molech they sacrficed babies on; it reminds me also of when Jesus came Herod partook in ordering for all the two year olds to be killed; and brings me back to when the Pharoh ordered for all the hebrew boys to be slaughtered, which moses mom makes a little boat and sends him down the river and the Pharoahs daughter finds him?

When it comes to those animal sacrficies, i believe that might have been learned from Adam and Eve when they got clothes from God he must have killed an animal to do such a thing.

Youre right about the Lord Jesus, he took on the sins of the world as he was being beaten, spit on, crowned with thorns and lead away to take up his cross, to his death, which he willingly went through in order to complete the covnent of the old and reinstate the new which God did use his Sons blood as the eternal everlasting covenant deal breaker - paying the price one and for all.

A lot of people have issue with it, jesus did it willingly and wasnt a puppet; he could have changed his mind at anytime; but he prayed and told the Father may his will be done…

Thank and Praise Yahava for sending his Word; within the flesh of Christ kept him from sinning and left when he finally gave up the spirit and died for the sins of the world justified by being brough back to life by the holy spirit of God.

It was all so the whole world could be brought in and have new spiritual life, there has to be something more than this life here while we traverse there is a hope in faith to going on and being with Yahweh/Yahava.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All who do BELIEVE mathew . For if one believeth not then there is no TRUTH in them .
Lets always remember that . Hold that firm . For he who denies the SON denies the FATHER .

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What great Love Abraham showed with belief that his son would be coming back with him, and what Love Yahava showed by send his Son, and what great Love that Jesus showed to his Father and to all the world!

Reactions: amigo de christo

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You might be right. Eventually even the israelites made a false god named Molech they sacrficed babies on; it reminds me also of when Jesus came Herod partook in ordering for all the two year olds to be killed; and brings me back to when the Pharoh ordered for all the hebrew boys to be slaughtered, which moses mom makes a little boat and sends him down the river and the Pharoahs daughter finds him?

When it comes to those animal sacrficies, i believe that might have been learned from Adam and Eve when they got clothes from God he must have killed an animal to do such a thing.

Youre right about the Lord Jesus, he took on the sins of the world as he was being beaten, spit on, crowned with thorns and lead away to take up his cross, to his death, which he willingly went through in order to complete the covnent of the old and reinstate the new which God did use his Sons blood as the eternal everlasting covenant deal breaker - paying the price one and for all.

A lot of people have issue with it, jesus did it willingly and wasnt a puppet; he could have changed his mind at anytime; but he prayed and told the Father may his will be done…

Thank and Praise Yahava for sending his Word; within the flesh of Christ kept him from sinning and left when he finally gave up the spirit and died for the sins of the world justified by being brough back to life by the holy spirit of God.

It was all so the whole world could be brought in and have new spiritual life, there has to be something more than this life here while we traverse there is a hope in faith to going on and being with Yahweh/Yahava.
Remember too the slaughter of the first born of Egypt.
And the loss of life depending on the sin, according to God's law.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What great Love Abraham showed with belief that his son would be coming back with him, and what Love Yahava showed by send his Son, and what great Love that Jesus showed to his Father and to all the world!
Sadly many reject that love and rather embrace a love that wont save them . GOD IS LOVE
there is NO DOUBT about that . I mean i was one of the worst myself and yet GRACE was sent .
But i do tell us the truth that many are under the spell of wordly love , a love that cometh of the world and not of GOD .
It wont point to the DIRE NEED to BELEIVE ON CHRIST . GOD WHO IS LOVE TESTIED OF JESUS CHRIST .
WE who love OUGHT TO DO the same . Never give one false hope . GOD never gave false hope .
The prophets never gave false hope . False hope is any hope that gives the idea that one does not need to believe on CHRIST JESUS .
That somehow this other love path , WHICH AINT the LOVE That COMETH OF GOD , will save them . IT wont matthew .
Only the devil would convince the world there is no need to BELEIVE ON JESUS . cause well , HE DONT LOVE now does he .

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Remember too the slaughter of the first born of Egypt.
And the loss of life depending on the sin, according to God's law.
Yes, that recalls my mind on something that perhaps is true too.

God allows people of faith who believe on the Son of God to do whatever they want to choose to do.

Some will choose to go by the flesh, and in Christ, God allows it. However that always comes at a cost.

One cost is quenching the spirit to damper it down. One cost is the loss of the flesh.

“Let him who is taught the word share in all good things with him who teaches. Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap. For he who sows to his flesh will of the flesh reap corruption, but he who sows to the Spirit will of the Spirit reap everlasting life. And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all, especially to those who are of the household of faith.”
‭‭Galatians‬ ‭6‬:‭6‬-‭10‬ ‭NKJV‬‬