God tested Abraham - Abram of UR - To sacrifice his Son

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, that recalls my mind on something that perhaps is true too.

God allows people of faith who believe on the Son of God to do whatever they want to choose to do.

Some will choose to go by the flesh, and in Christ, God allows it. However that always comes at a cost.

One cost is quenching the spirit to damper it down. One cost is the loss of the flesh.

“Let him who is taught the word share in all good things with him who teaches. Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap. For he who sows to his flesh will of the flesh reap corruption, but he who sows to the Spirit will of the Spirit reap everlasting life. And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all, especially to those who are of the household of faith.”
‭‭Galatians‬ ‭6‬:‭6‬-‭10‬ ‭NKJV‬‬
There is rewards that will given out rightly, throughly, and justly to all people from unbelievers to believers.

And its all on responsibility to one what they will do. Will they choose to share the word and allow Christ in them to produce the fruit of the spirit and place spirtiual treasures in heaven where moth, rust and dust doesnt effect it?

Or will the flesh be more important?

Being 32 years old now i see the spiritual side as the most important thing one can go for while in this life even though you must work to make ends meet; or you can choose to walk around in this life without working; its a total choice ; but Jesus said the poor you will always hVe with you and can do good at any time to them.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sadly many reject that love and rather embrace a love that wont save them . GOD IS LOVE
there is NO DOUBT about that . I mean i was one of the worst myself and yet GRACE was sent .
But i do tell us the truth that many are under the spell of wordly love , a love that cometh of the world and not of GOD .
It wont point to the DIRE NEED to BELEIVE ON CHRIST . GOD WHO IS LOVE TESTIED OF JESUS CHRIST .
WE who love OUGHT TO DO the same . Never give one false hope . GOD never gave false hope .
The prophets never gave false hope . False hope is any hope that gives the idea that one does not need to believe on CHRIST JESUS .
That somehow this other love path , WHICH AINT the LOVE That COMETH OF GOD , will save them . IT wont matthew .
Only the devil would convince the world there is no need to BELEIVE ON JESUS . cause well , HE DONT LOVE now does he .

All the best amigo. Love you as a brother in Christ. Everyone must be guided by the spirit and that doesnt mean people have to be harped on; everything in due time and season in kindness in love and in respect. That is what I believe when the time to share is there do so. If someone really wants to listen and read and study the word with you, go the extra mile and make sure you teach them rightly by rightly dividing the word of God.

The you is just a you in general (for all) not specifically you yourself.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I don't know what you are saying @Jay Ross, you just came up and shared randomly, for whatever reason you wanted to, friend. Me and you tend to see things differently anyway, remember? Therefore if you feel like sharing and teaching, you can always be welcomed to make your own threads.

I didn't even read what you posted, I will be honest with you, only just glanced.

And this will my first warning on goading with your comment "you need to sit down and mediate on the scriptures."

Thank you for understanding sir.

If anyone is goading Matthew, it is you.

All I have done is provide the scriptures based on the Hebrew Text's context that are contrary to what you have posted.

I then suggested that you needed to spend more time in meditating on the scriptures before you teach.

If that is goading, then so be it, but your response was looking for a fighting response which I am not giving in this response.

Have a good day sir.

Goodbye

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Goodbye Jay, all the best to you and yours. Thank you for sharing also with me about Abrham, not seeing the land promised.

He was promised land, so i take it as he had hope to see it one day, but he didnt, however the decendants after him did. Those of faith longed to be at home with God and not just hear on this earth it seems to me, admitting they where strangers on earth. ( atleast that is what i believe and i could be wrong )

It reminds me of how Jesus said this his kingdom was not of this world.

Last edited:

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Link Directive - All considerable information for the benefit of skeptics, believers, or unbelievers. Keep growing and maturing, look at the scriptures and seek truth, and may the spirit guide.

Abram of Ur, was found to be a righteous man. He lived among Chaldeans.

Genesis 11:
27 This is the account of Terah’s family line.

Terah became the father of Abram, Nahor and Haran. And Haran became the father of Lot. 28 While his father Terah was still alive, Haran died in Ur of the Chaldeans, in the land of his birth. 29 Abram and Nahor both married. The name of Abram’s wife was Sarai, and the name of Nahor’s wife was Milkah; she was the daughter of Haran, the father of both Milkah and Iskah. 30 Now Sarai was childless because she was not able to conceive.

31 Terah took his son Abram, his grandson Lot son of Haran, and his daughter-in-law Sarai, the wife of his son Abram, and together they set out from Ur of the Chaldeans to go to Canaan. But when they came to Harran, they settled there.

32 Terah lived 205 years, and he died in Harran.

Abram is called by Yahava, and told to go from his country (his former life - the old life); and to go to a country, which he would end up getting land, he would leave his people, and his own fathers household. Yahava, promised to make him into a great nation, and bless him, and that he would be a blessing. He promised blessing and curses, and all people of the land would be blessed through Him because why? He was a man of faith. While living in his prior home, he was surrounded by those who would worship idols and things of that nature, and Yahava, found him to be a righteous man who did not bow to those things.

Genesis 12: 1 Yahava had said to Abram, “Go from your country, your people and your father’s household to the land I will show you.

2 “I will make you into a great nation,
and I will bless you;
I will make your name great,
and you will be a blessing.[a]
3 I will bless those who bless you,
and whoever curses you I will curse;
and all peoples on earth
will be blessed through you.”[b]
4 So Abram went, as the Lord had told him; and Lot went with him. Abram was seventy-five years old when he set out from Harran. 5 He took his wife Sarai, his nephew Lot, all the possessions they had accumulated and the people they had acquired in Harran, and they set out for the land of Canaan, and they arrived there.
Abram, left his former lifestyle surrounded by the Chaldeans and Lot decided to go with him, and he also took his wife Sarah.

God changed the name of Abram to Abraham, and also changes Sarai to Sarah - Sarah though it would be a good idea for Abraham to take on a wife considering Yahava, did not yet give them a child and Ishmael was born but he was not the child of promised, but Abraham asked the Lord, to give a blessing to Ishamel a blessing and Yahava promises to make him a great nation. However Gods covenant would be when Isaac had come, which after he was done speaking he went up from Abraham.
Genesis 17: 15 God also said to Abraham, “As for Sarai your wife, you are no longer to call her Sarai; her name will be Sarah. 16 I will bless her and will surely give you a son by her. I will bless her so that she will be the mother of nations; kings of peoples will come from her.”

17 Abraham fell facedown; he laughed and said to himself, “Will a son be born to a man a hundred years old? Will Sarah bear a child at the age of ninety?” 18 And Abraham said to God, “If only Ishmael might live under your blessing!”

19 Then God said, “Yes, but your wife Sarah will bear you a son, and you will call him Isaac.[d] I will establish my covenant with him as an everlasting covenant for his descendants after him. 20 And as for Ishmael, I have heard you: I will surely bless him; I will make him fruitful and will greatly increase his numbers. He will be the father of twelve rulers, and I will make him into a great nation. 21 But my covenant I will establish with Isaac, whom Sarah will bear to you by this time next year.” 22 When he had finished speaking with Abraham, God went up from him.
After the birth of Isacc, - God brought a woman womb who was 99 years old back to life, and also used Abarhams old body to bring forth a son which was promised. Abraham due to this amazing doing of God, Sarah gave birth to Isacc as promised, while they were both ancient and in a sense dead.

God comes to test, Abraham, to see if he would willingly sacrifice his Son. Before Abraham goes up to mount Moriah for sacrifice he says that him and his lad (maybe 17-18) at the time that they would be back. Perhaps on the way there Abraham had thought well if God can bring my son back from the dead if I was to kill him, considering God gave him to me I will give him back, and maybe he will bring him back to life. Maybe he will give me something else to sacrifice instead of my son who was to bring forth the promise of a blessing to many peoples. And upon the "ACT", God stopped him, and there was a ram which God provided instead.

All of this was a vision of when the Lord Jesus Christ would end up being the sacrifice, where Isacc would carry on the promise being part of the Covenant which God had offered unto Abraham for being obedient, and believing in him.

Now it came to pass after these things that God tested Abraham, and said to him, “Abraham!”

And he said, “Here I am.”

2 Then He said, “Take now your son, your only son Isaac, whom you love, and go to the land of Moriah, and offer him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains of which I shall tell you.”

3 So Abraham rose early in the morning and saddled his donkey, and took two of his young men with him, and Isaac his son; and he split the wood for the burnt offering, and arose and went to the place of which God had told him. 4 Then on the third day Abraham lifted his eyes and saw the place afar off. 5 And Abraham said to his young men, “Stay here with the donkey; the [a]lad and I will go yonder and worship, and we will come back to you.”

6 So Abraham took the wood of the burnt offering and laid it on Isaac his son; and he took the fire in his hand, and a knife, and the two of them went together. 7 But Isaac spoke to Abraham his father and said, “My father!”
Abraham did not doubt God and his promise. He willingly was going to give his Son because God had gave him the son in the first place.

Hebrews were very different than us today - and some people out there will consider this a highly sacrilegious act.

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, that recalls my mind on something that perhaps is true too.

God allows people of faith who believe on the Son of God to do whatever they want to choose to do.

Some will choose to go by the flesh, and in Christ, God allows it. However that always comes at a cost.

One cost is quenching the spirit to damper it down. One cost is the loss of the flesh.

“Let him who is taught the word share in all good things with him who teaches. Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap. For he who sows to his flesh will of the flesh reap corruption, but he who sows to the Spirit will of the Spirit reap everlasting life. And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all, especially to those who are of the household of faith.”
‭‭Galatians‬ ‭6‬:‭6‬-‭10‬ ‭NKJV‬‬
And God does make the sinful pay a price. Even those who God seems worthy of his wrath.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
22 By faith Joseph, when he was dying, made mention of the exodus of the sons of Israel, and gave orders concerning his bones.

11:8 "Abraham. . .obeyed" In some ways these cameos are idealized representations of these men's lives. The OT is unique in ancient literature in that it records both the positive and negative about its characters. Abraham was a strange mixture of fear and faith

1. Fear

a. God said leave your family; he took his father and Lot

b. God promised a child; he tried to produce a child through Sarah's servant and later tried to give Sarah away to both an Egyptian and a Philistine king in order to save his own life

2. Faith

a. He did leave Ur

b. He did believe God would give him descendants

c. He was willing to offer Isaac (cf. Gen. 22)

God is not looking for "super-saints," but for flawed humans who will respond to Him in repentance and faith and live for Him regardless of the circumstances.

11:9 "he lived as an alien in the land of promise" This is the term "sojourned," which means he did not have rights as a citizen (cf. Heb. 11:13).

11:10 "he was looking" This is an imperfect middle (deponent) indicative. He kept looking!

"the city"

This is a common biblical metaphor (cf. Heb. 11:16; 12:22; 13:14; John 14:2; Gal. 4:26; Rev. 3:12; 21:2), which refers to the place of God's dwelling with humans again, as in Eden.

Abraham lived his life by faith looking not at current reality, but promised reality. Faith says "this world is not my home"; faith says "God's promises are sure"; faith says "reality is not what I see, but what God says"!

11:11 "Sarah" Some ancient Greek manuscripts (P46, D) add "barren." It is significant that none of the patriarch's wives (except Leah) could conceive without the help of God. Also, none of the first born children were the heirs of promise. God acted to show that He was in charge!

Sarah, like Abraham, was a mixture of fear and faith. She gave Abraham her servant; she also laughed at God's promise (cf. Gen. 18:12).

11:12 "as the stars of heaven in number and innumerable as the sand which is by the seashore" This was part of God's promise to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob (cf. Gen. 15:5; 22:17; 32:12). Remember all of their wives (except Leah) were barren.

"she considered Him faithful who had promised"

She acted based on God's promise, not current reality. This phrase is similar to Heb. 10:23 (cf. Heb. 6:17-18). The readers are also to act in this way.

NASB (UPDATED) TEXT: HEBREWS 11:13-16
13All these died in faith, without receiving the promises, but having seen them and having welcomed them from a distance, and having confessed that they were strangers and exiles on the earth. 14For those who say such things make it clear that they are seeking a country of their own. 15And indeed if they had been thinking of that country from which they went out, they would have had opportunity to return. 16But as it is, they desire a better country, that is, a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God; for He has prepared a city for them.

11:13 "All these died in faith, without receiving the promises" This is the heart of the comparison of the OT people of faith in chapter 11 to the believing Jewish recipients who were on the verge of "shrinking back" (cf. Heb. 10:38; also 2 Pet. 2:20-22).

"but having. . .and having. . .and having" Note the three descriptive, parallel phrases!

"they were strangers and exiles on the earth"

Literally, alien residents who had no rights as citizens (cf. LXX Gen. 23:4; Ps. 39:12; Phil. 3:20; 1 Pet. 2:11). Physical reality is not the true, eternal reality. This world was not their home.

11:15 "if" This is a second class conditional sentence called "contrary to fact." They did go out and they did not go back!

11:16 The true reality is spiritual, as seen in the metaphor of a heavenly city whose builder and maker is God (cf. Heb. 11:10). God responds to trust and faith (cf. Heb. 2:11; 11:2,39; 13:14). "Country" and "city" (Heb. 11:10) are theologically parallel as places prepared by God for His faith children!

NASB (UPDATED) TEXT: HEBREWS 11:17-22
17By faith Abraham, when he was tested, offered up Isaac, and he who had received the promises was offering up his only begotten son; 18it was he to whom it was said, "In Isaac your descendants shall be called." 19He considered that God is able to raise men even from the dead, from which he also received him back as a type. 20By faith Isaac blessed Jacob and Esau, even regarding things to come. 21By faith Jacob, as he was dying, blessed each of the sons of Joseph, and worshiped, leaning on the top of his staff. 22By faith Joseph, when he was dying, made mention of the exodus of the sons of Israel, and gave orders concerning his bones.

11:17 "he was tested" When one compares Gen. 22:1 with Matt. 6:13 and James 1:13-14, there is a seeming contradiction. However, there are two words in Greek for "test" with different connotations. One is to test toward destruction (peiraz ō) and the other is to test with a view to approval and strengthening (dokimazō). See Special Topic at Heb. 2:18.

God provides opportunities for His children to demonstrate and grow their faith (cf. Gen. 22:1; Exod.15:25; 16:4; 20:20; Deut. 8:2,16; 13:3; Jdgs. 2:22; 2 Chr. 32:31). Tests become either a stumbling block or a stepping stone.

"was offering up his only begotten son"

The level of Abraham's faith is seen in his willingness to give back to God the child of promise he had waited for for thirteen years (cf. James 2:21).

The use of monogenēs ("only begotten") in relation to Isaac cannot mean "only begotten" since Abraham had other children. It surely means "the child of promise," "the unique child." This is also the meaning of John 3:16.

11:18 This is a quote from Gen. 21:12, which came before the test!

11:19 "raise men from the dead" Abraham expected Isaac to return with him (cf. Gen. 22:5). The text does not state how this would happen. Hebrews asserts that he may have expected a resuscitation.

Abraham-and hermeneutics

Last edited:

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
And God does make the sinful pay a price. Even those who God seems worthy of his wrath.
Your signature-

Num 23:19 notH3808 Adv-NegPrt lō לֹ֣א [is] a man,H376 N-ms ’îš אִ֥ישׁ GodH410 N-ms ’êl אֵל֙ that He should lie;H3576 H8762 Conj-w+V-Piel-ConjImperf-3ms wî·ḵaz·zêḇ וִֽיכַזֵּ֔ב nor a sonH1121 Conj-w+N-msc ū·ḇen- וּבֶן־ of man,H120 N-ms ’ā·ḏām אָדָ֖ם that He should repent;H5162 H8691 Conj-w+V-Hitpael-ConjImperf-3ms wə·yiṯ·ne·ḥām וְיִתְנֶחָ֑ם Has HeH1931 Art+Pro-3ms ha·hū הַה֤וּא said,H559 H8804 V-Qal-Perf-3ms ’ā·mar אָמַר֙ and notH3808 Conj-w+Adv-NegPrt wə·lō וְלֹ֣א will He doH6213 H8799 V-Qal-Imperf-3ms ya·‘ă·śeh יַעֲשֶׂ֔ה Or has He spoken,H1696 H8765 Conj-w+V-Piel-ConjPerf-3ms wə·ḏib·ber וְדִבֶּ֖ר and notH3808 Conj-w+Adv-NegPrt wə·lō וְלֹ֥א will He make it good?H6965 H8686 V-Hifil-Imperf-3ms+3fse yə·qî·men·nāh יְקִימֶֽנָּה׃

'ish [is] not a man אֵל֙ 'el God וִֽ·יכַזֵּ֔ב vi·chaz·Zev, that he should lie וּ·בֶן־

El is not an ish, that He should lie; neither a ben adam, that He should change His mind; hath He said, and shall He not do it? Or hath He spoken, and shall He not carry it out?

N-ms (BSB Morphology)
Noun - masculine singular
Lemma: אִישׁ
Word: אִ֥ישׁ
Transliteration: ’îš
English: [is] a man,
H376 (Mickelson's Enhanced Strong's Dictionaries of the Greek and Hebrew Testaments)
H376 אִישׁ 'iysh (eesh) n-m.
אִישִׁים 'iysh (eesh) [plural]
a man as an individual or a male person.
{often used as an adjunct to a more definite term (and in such cases frequently not expressed in translation).}
[contracted for H582 (or perhaps rather from an unused root meaning to be extant)]
KJV: also, another, any (man), a certain, + champion, consent, each, every (one), fellow, (foot-, husband-)man, (good-, great, mighty) man, he, high (degree), him (that is), husband, man(-kind), + none, one, people, person, + steward, what (man) soever, whoso(-ever), worthy.
Root(s): H582
Compare: H802