God's Expectation Of Proactivity

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
I have never liked when someone's idea of a new thread is to throw out a random thought or opinion and then say, "Discuss" so I am giving additional input.

I was part of a discussion recently about what Christians are expected to do by God.
It seems that many feel that once they are saved, they can just sit back and wait until Christ returns.
They feel that as long as they do not actively commit sin and seek forgiveness after moments of weakness, they are doing all that is required of them.

What was discussed is the fact that Christ does have an expectation of proactivity from His children.

Matt 6:2 -- "When you give to the needy..."
Notice it says 'when' and not 'if.' It is expected that you actually minister to those in need as Christ did.
In Matt 25: 31-46 he talks about the sheep and the goats. The goats did not feed when they saw the hungry, clothe them when they saw the naked, visit them when they knew they were imprisoned, etc.
Jesus will say, "Depart from me you cursed ones, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels."
This shows that these people will be punished for what they DIDN'T do.

Matt 6:5 -- "When you pray..."
Again, not "if" but "when"...
God expects you to commune with him. How else would you know what He expects of you?
Prayer keeps you in tune with the Holy Spirit, helps you to resist sin, and keeps your moral compass true.
Those who don't commune with God regulary are easily swayed by the world and begin to judge right and wrong by what the world says.

Matt 6:16 -- "When you fast..."
Once more, not "if" but "when"...
Jesus himself fasted 40 days before He began his ministry. So did David and other kings, often calling on the people to fast, as well.
This allows God to move mightily.
There are different levels and lengths of fasts and when accompanied with prayer and time in the Word - otherwise it is just dieting - it is an absolute blessing.

If Christians today are not doing all of these things, they are not fulfilling what God expects of them.

fivesense

Mar 7, 2010
WI
I have never liked when someone's idea of a new thread is to throw out a random thought or opinion and then say, "Discuss" so I am giving additional input.

I was part of a discussion recently about what Christians are expected to do by God.
It seems that many feel that once they are saved, they can just sit back and wait until Christ returns.
They feel that as long as they do not actively commit sin and seek forgiveness after moments of weakness, they are doing all that is required of them.

What was discussed is the fact that Christ does have an expectation of proactivity from His children.

Matt 6:2 -- "When you give to the needy..."
Notice it says 'when' and not 'if.' It is expected that you actually minister to those in need as Christ did.
In Matt 25: 31-46 he talks about the sheep and the goats. The goats did not feed when they saw the hungry, clothe them when they saw the naked, visit them when they knew they were imprisoned, etc.
Jesus will say, "Depart from me you cursed ones, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels."
This shows that these people will be punished for what they DIDN'T do.

Matt 6:5 -- "When you pray..."
Again, not "if" but "when"...
God expects you to commune with him. How else would you know what He expects of you?
Prayer keeps you in tune with the Holy Spirit, helps you to resist sin, and keeps your moral compass true.
Those who don't commune with God regulary are easily swayed by the world and begin to judge right and wrong by what the world says.

Matt 6:16 -- "When you fast..."
Once more, not "if" but "when"...
Jesus himself fasted 40 days before He began his ministry. So did David and other kings, often calling on the people to fast, as well.
This allows God to move mightily.
There are different levels and lengths of fasts and when accompanied with prayer and time in the Word - otherwise it is just dieting - it is an absolute blessing.

If Christians today are not doing all of these things, they are not fulfilling what God expects of them.

I haven't known too many "Christians" who have been able to just "sit back" and enjoy a saved life. They all exhibit being in the fire of judgment somehow. Personal, family, civic, all arenas become God's arena to deal with that persons sins and outfitting.
I would like to remind you that Jesus' mission from His Father did not include us, the Gentiles, and He had to return to earth from His glorified state to Paul the Jew in order to alter the plan. Without Paul's prophetic and Holy Spirit revelations given to us, we would have nothing at all to base out faith upon. Using the Gospel accounts for doctrine and teaching, without referring to Paul the Apostle for screening, is an error. The effect of discounting Paul's doctrine and teaching is confusion and misunderstanding the plan of God.
fivesense

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
'Interesting' post.

Now would like to actually address the specifics of what I posted?

You know...scripture.

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
Hi, I'm kinda new here, i'd like to make a comment on this post, just for your consideration...
I believe strongly that yes, a christian, once saved should work diligently out of love and gratitude for the gift of grace they have received...but sometimes things are not so clear cut.
I have a chronic illness, have had for 16 years. I have two small children and live in an isolated spot. You may imagine that being actively involved in...well, anything is almost impossible. It weighs on me greatly, especially since I long to be able to serve, be able to help others, just do...
I have not yet come to a happy understanding of what My Lord wants of me, but I keep praying...
Please keep in mind that just because you can't see a person living an active life for Jesus, doesnt mean they don't have a strong faith.
thanks! Nice post!
Rach :)

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
Please keep in mind that just because you can't see a person living an active life for Jesus, doesnt mean they don't have a strong faith.
thanks! Nice post!
Rach
smile.gif

-- Absolutely true.
We are not the ones to judge -- Jesus is.
Jesus said to do these things in secret and that those who do it in public to be noticed "have already received their reward in full." That goes for praying, giving, or fasting.

If you are not helping the poor or needy because of your situation, it certainly isn't another person's, let alone a fellow Christian's place to criticize you. It is between you and God.

If you are not fasting on occasion, again that is between you and God -- no one else. If you have physical issues that prevent it or make it too difficult, who other than God would you need to answer to? And since God is well aware of your current situation, you aren't going to have any explaining to do to Him, either.

Prayer is the key. None of us here or anywhere are in a position to tell you how much you need to pray. Your prayer life with God is a matter between you and God. No one else.

For those who wish to judge, God reminds us in Matthew:
"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye." -- Matt 7: 1-5

The entire point of my initial post was that after speaking with a large number of Christians I have found that several don't even realize these are called to do these things.

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
Hey Foreigner! Thanks for the reply, it was very encouraging. Yes! Prayer is something I CAN do!!
Although, can you give me some more info on the fasting?
The churches I have grown up in have never said anything about it. At all, ever? I have heard of it, of course, but when none of the Christians you know and admire do it, you do end up wondering if its just another gimmick. Im not bagging it, Im honestly interested in what its about!
Thanks
Rach

JarBreaker

Apr 6, 2010
Jesus' mission from His Father did not include us, the Gentiles, and He had to return to earth from His glorified state to Paul the Jew in order to alter the plan.

Matt. 15:24
He answered, "I was sent only to the lost sheep of Israel."

Lost sheep of Israel here is referring to the Northern kingdom ... the LOST 10 tribes.

As for the 2nd part, His plan has been perfect from creation and no part was ever altered ... we see only in part, and our mind's eye cant grasp how to perceive things in an eternal perspective.

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
Rach,
I suggest you check Amazon.com or Google for a book called "Fasting" by a pastor named Jentezen Franklin.
I came across it not long after the pastor at my church spoke on the multiple ways a person can fast.

That book changed my life. I highly recommend it.