God's Gift of Tongues Not for Private Use

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have no objection to people praying in tongues "in the assembly" or anywhere else for that matter. I am a fairly private person. When I pray in tongues I consider that to be between me and God. If others want to pray in tongues publicly that is their decision.

Oh, that's what "the church" officially believes (whatever that means). To me, that's irrelevant. One or two do not speak for the church. You are rational enough to know that. (your words)

I was talking to Christ4me. nothing of what I said was directed at you. I was talking about what he was quoting and our church, not your church.
Look at who I quoted in that post. Just because my answer comes after yours does not mean it was directed at you.

You went off on me the other day for a post I made because of Bible verses. i don't mind talking to people here, but you don't have to be a snotz

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
From Pastor Ted Wilson:

What does the church teach on speaking in tongues? – Pastor Ted Wilson

'Adventists don’t speak in tongues because modern glossolalia (ecstatic “speaking in tongues”) practiced in Pentecostal churches is not the gift of tongues mentioned in the New Testament. The New Testament gift of tongues refers to real languages that God gave the new Christian Church for the purpose of evangelizing the nations."

If the Adventists don't speak in tongues who cares? I speak in a language that's known only to me and God. If you think that The New Testament gift of tongues refers to real languages that God gave the new Christian Church for the purpose of evangelizing the nations, that's your opinion. But I disagree with it.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was talking to Christ4me. nothing of what I said was directed at you. I was talking about what he was quoting and our church, not your church.
Look at who I quoted in that post. Just because my answer comes after yours does not mean it was directed at you.

You went off on me the other day for a post I made because of Bible verses. i don't mind talking to people here, but you don't have to be a snotz

What on Earth is "a snotz"? BTW, I am entitled to my opinion regardless of what you have to say about it. Can you spell "forum"?

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
When believers defend tongues for private use, they are ignoring Paul's teaching on gifts are not for private use
You are not going to change their belief about "prayer language". So the best thing to do is let them do as they wish.

Reactions: Jim B

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, Seventh Day Adventist do not employ tongues!!!!!!!! Our church teaches that tongues are a real language, not what is expressed today. It was given to the apostles to preach the Word, so people could hear the Good News in their own language. Not really needed today.

From google: " Seventh-day Adventists believe that the spiritual gifts such as "speaking in tongues" are used to communicate the truth to other people from differing languages, and are skeptical of tongues as practiced by charismatic and Pentecostal Christians today."

I'd bet Jehovah's witnesses don't speak in tongues either, and maybe not Mormons @Robert Gwin , and @Jane_Doe22 , what do you say?
I agree with your assessment of tongues as used in the book of acts at the first pentacost, but you should also realize that the original event represented the reverse of the scattering of the nations at the tower of Babel, the gathering together of the saints in Christ Jesus. It could be continuing for the same reason, but as a symbolic or prophetic sign, one occurrence was sufficient.

I can easily fabricate glosilalia and even do so with spiritual intent and expression, but it remains meaningless to me.

I've only received a phrase "in mind" once in another language, and that was in Hebrew while I'd been watching a recent movie release, the film independence day, and considering the apocalyptic imagery of humanity's judgment. To this day I'm still unsure of the origin of the phrase or its interpretation. I don't know Hebrew, but only possess a Strong's Concordance and those people I'd asked for an interpretation said that it was dependent upon context. When I explained the peculiar context, I never received a response. The phrase phonetically sounded like "hake boo root sheh (or shet), hake hag E I adonai."
With just the resource of my Concordance, I believe the translation would be something like " how do you make a beginning.? You make ( it) by the festival of the Lord". I only know of one festival associated with the judgment of the world and it has to do with the final conflict and the feast of all the scavengers upon the corpses of the dead. This was neither edifying or encouraging so I suspect it was given by an "evil messenger" and certainly not Christ. Not every spirit is of God and its important that we test the spirits when encountered with the supernatural.

Reactions: Cassandra

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What on Earth is "a snotz"? BTW, I am entitled to my opinion regardless of what you have to say about it. Can you spell "forum"?

A snotz is a snotty person.
Of course you are entitled to your opinion. Who said you weren't? I would defend your right to have an opinion!!! But I said you were referencing a post to christ4me and thinking it was about you. You know now that I was quoting someone else.
Speak in tongues all you want. We all have the right to worship as we please. If if your church is charismatic, that's fine too. I was just saying that my church isn't.

Last edited:

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No doubt. You should also pray normally that Jesus Christ will open your eyes in case you are wrong about this issue. Trust Him as your Good Shepherd & Friend to reveal that for you just in case you are missing something about this tongue for why He would prefer you to pray normally.
I think prayer should be normally in our own tongue and with understanding. We are , after all, attempting to align our desire with God's will in prayer. However, as the Apostle said, we don't always know how we should pray and in this instance, the spirit prays for us and in inexpressible ways.

Now in the same way the Spirit also helps our weakness; for we do not know what to pray for as we should, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words; Romans 8:26

If we're confident in our relationship to Him, I don't see why we should limit His expression to our understanding.

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If the Adventists don't speak in tongues who cares? I speak in a language that's known only to me and God. If you think that The New Testament gift of tongues refers to real languages that God gave the new Christian Church for the purpose of evangelizing the nations, that's your opinion. But I disagree with it.

Once again, I was just telling Christ4me that Adventist church doesn't speak in tongues, because he quoted someone that said it did. that's okay if you disagree. Gee Whiz!

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When believers defend tongues for private use, they are ignoring Paul's teaching on gifts are not for private use & more importantly, none of those gifts are gained by having another drink of the One Spirit that we are all supposed to share in that same testimony as baptized into one body by.

1 Corinthians 12:7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal:

11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will. 12 For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ. 13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit. 14 For the body is not one member, but many.

19 And if they were all one member, where were the body? 20 But now are they many members, yet but one body. 21 And the eye cannot say unto the hand, I have no need of thee: nor again the head to the feet, I have no need of you.

Then Paul began using hyperboles in explaining why love is better than anything else for why tongues are not of angels since he is not like sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal

1 Corinthians 13:1Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. 2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing. 3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.

Paul has certainly not sold everything and given to the poor and gave his body up for burning either les he has become a ghost writer. Hyperbole. Just as referring to tongues of angels is a hyperbole, an exaggerated sense of tongues which is not being done in reality.

Then those who speak in tongues try to claim that tongues are for private use by inserting their meaning in complete disregard for why Paul is exhorting the gift of prophesy over all spiritual gifts in verse 1 ad then explained why by comparing tongues against prophesy for why prophesy is the better gift to seek after in the whole message of that chapter because tongues is not a stand alone gift for it needs interpretation for the tongue speaker to truly benefit when he understood what that tongue is saying as manifested by the Holy Ghost.

1 Corinthians 14:1Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy. 2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries. 3 But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort. 4 He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church. 5 I would that ye all spake with tongues but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.

Discern with Him now.

2 Corinthians 13:1 This is the third time I am coming to you. In the mouth of two or three witnesses shall every word be established.

Paul cannot claim he speak more in tongues than them all unless he had witnesses to that truth therefore not for private use as this was done in the assembly as witnessed before all.

Paul is not saying the tongue speaker is speaking to God because he is in the assembly where no man understands him but God does, as the tongue speaker speaks in mysteries to those around him but God understands that tongue. That does not mean he is speaking TO God because there are no mysteries to God for why he is not speaking TO God. Paul is meaning God understands what us being said as manifested by the Holy Ghost. God's gift of tongues can be self edifying but only when interpreted for Paul to benefit from that tongue.

12 Even so ye, forasmuch as ye are zealous of spiritual gifts, seek that ye may excel to the edifying of the church. 13 Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret. 14 For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful. 15 What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also. 16 Else when thou shalt bless with the spirit, how shall he that occupieth the room of the unlearned say Amen at thy giving of thanks, seeing he understandeth not what thou sayest?

Tongue speakers ignore verse 13 and point to verse 14 as if Paul is praying in tongues when he is really praying someone will interpret that tongue. everything Paul has said about tongues is being done in the assembly and not for private use. tongue speakers for private use are inserting their tongues in there when Paul is explaining why prophesy is better than tongues because it is not for private use.

17 For thou verily givest thanks well, but the other is not edified. 18 I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all: 19 Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.

The only way Paul can say that if tongues were done in the assembly where there are more than 3 witnesses to that truth. He cannot testify of tongues for private use when there are no witnesses.

20 Brethren, be not children in understanding: howbeit in malice be ye children, but in understanding be men. 21 In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord.

Verses 20-21 is Paul giving the bottom line on what God's gift of tongues are for, being of other men's lips to speak unto the people.

22 Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.

And yet believers are using tongues as a sign or proof of salvation or proof f Gd calling them into the ministries or as the early Catholic Church claimed, proof that they are keeping the doctrines within. I cannot find that latter info again, but it is so. I would not be surprise that believers that fornicate use tongues as a sign that everything is still okay between Him & them. Is everything okay between Him & the catholic Charismatic Church? I think not. Therefore tongues are not supposed to serve as a sign nor proof to the believers about anything but to the believers.

And yet they preach another baptism with the Holy Ghost with evidence of tongues ( used to be heralded as "by that sign of tongues" ). Red flag. That is why that tongue is not coming with interpretation as it is a voice of stranger's they follow for climbing up another way John 10:1-5

Then getting back to Paul on tongues; I remind you abut verse 2 in how a tongue speaker speaks unto God but not to God but He understands what is being said as we read this below.

26 How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying. 27 If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret. 28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.

How can Paul instruct someone to be silent IF that tongue was manifested by the Holy Ghost just because there was no interpretation? And yet at the end of the chapter he has written not to forbid speaking in tongues in the assembly but order and decency must be maintained?

Reread the 3 verses of 26-28. When you have 2 or 3 speak in tongues, one by one, and another interpret, when you have a practice like that in the assembly, a foreign visitor could very well stand up and speak out of turn. That is why he is to keep silence because he speaks to himself, meaning he understands what he is saying as God does too, not that he is a crazy person speaking to himself and to God.

There can be no speaking in tongues quietly to oneself when even whispering bothers people around them trying to listen to the sermon or in this case, when 2 or 3 speak in tongues for that one to interpret it.

Just another example of how tongue speakers for private use today try to insert that tongue for private use into scripture when that is not what Paul is saying. Indeed, they make Paul look like an idiot for exhorting prophesy over tongues as they are today hyping believers to seek another baptism with the Holy Ghost with evidence of tongues and not prophesy when there is no other baptism with the Holy Ghost to seek after salvation.

That is why I do not believe God's gift of tongues were ever meant for private use.

Well you are free to believe whatever you wish, but do not say it is the Bible for I showed you it wasn't.

If you want to believe there is no private praying in tongues that is fine! Many don't. But to not so subtly condemn believers and/or accuse them of dabbling in the occult is sin.

Reactions: Jim B

Christ4Me

Jan 6, 2022
Pennsylvania / Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Officially, the church does not believe that tongues is any more that a foreign language given to someone to preach the Gospel.

So it has been known to happen. That does not mean that the church is charismatic. I'll bet every protestant religion has a few with in it that do.

That is true. Even a Baptist church has it. A Baptist forum tolerates Baptist members that speak in tongues. I could not believe it. And they all seem to be different in one form or fashion as not to be speaking the same thing nor holding to the same judgment. One may wonder if there is any original Baptist church left!

With that in Seventh Day Adventist churches, will it grow and make you wonder if that will happen to your local church soon? Maybe you ought to alert your leaders about that church I had posted and have them go after them to correct them before it spreads any further like it did in Baptist's denomination where they seem to be tolerating it, in spite of ther teachings.

That is a blanket statement. what you quoted makes it appear as if Adventist are charismatic, and it is not true.

I suppose that source was making a generalization that it can be found among those it listed. Just like not all Pentecostals/Charismatics speaks in tongues.

That is pretty crappy sourcing, IMO. One or two do not speak for the church.

Well you did say that no Seventh Day Adventist church does that and you had to amend your statement. I know what the official teaching of your church is that they are not supposed to do that but I am just saying even though they have been warned not to do this, come churches do.

You are rational enough to know that. And what proves to me, since you had to add some asides, that you don't do your homework.

Rational or not, giving a precise report or just reporting that it has been found among them, some of the Seventh Day Adventist churches have gone astray and do speak in tongues and you cannot say no Seventh Day Adventist churches does that when there are some that do.

What is the fruit of the false prophet? Gathering grapes of thorns and figs of thistles. Matthew 7:15-16 Signs of the times. Ignoring it, will not make it go away. Your own church has to remind believers not to be led astray by the wicked as there may be some Seventh Day Adventist that have gone astray. They need to be on guard against their own members for how this phenomenon and that tongue for private use comes into the assembly. Signs of the times.

2 Peter 3:4 Wherefore, beloved, seeing that ye look for such things, be diligent that ye may be found of him in peace, without spot, and blameless. 15 And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you; 16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction. 17 Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know these things before, beware lest ye also, being led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your own stedfastness. 18 But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen.

By the way, I am not defending any church, not my former Presbyterian church nor any denomination, because you & I are not supposed to be representing a church when the church is to decrease in representing Jesus Christ. That is what it means to be a disciples of Jesus Christ, representing Him as the Good news to man in seeking His glory and not just pointing sinners to come to Him for eternal life by believing in Him.

Christ4Me

Jan 6, 2022
Pennsylvania / Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have no objection to people praying in tongues "in the assembly" or anywhere else for that matter. I am a fairly private person. When I pray in tongues I consider that to be between me and God. If others want to pray in tongues publicly that is their decision.

Seems kind of cold saying that. Paul did not let that slide when there is supposed to be decency and order in the assembly.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Seems kind of cold saying that. Paul did not let that slide when there is supposed to be decency and order in the assembly.

What is your real issue?

You are making such a big deal about tongues when Paul never posed such condmenations as you do. I am sure he knew of pagan glossolalia. He was simply giving instructions on the proper how to for tongues! Corinth was a hot bed of paganism and debauchery.

Christ4Me

Jan 6, 2022
Pennsylvania / Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well you are free to believe whatever you wish, but do not say it is the Bible for I showed you it wasn't.

If you want to believe there is no private praying in tongues that is fine! Many don't. But to not so subtly condemn believers and/or accuse them of dabbling in the occult is sin.

I am saying you are not rightly dividing the word of truth because Paul set the precedent for what tongues are for in 1 Corinthians 12th chapter and it cannot be for private use as you all seem to think in between the lines in chapter 14..

1 Corinthians 12:7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal:

The gifts are to profit the assembly, not individual.

11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will. 12 For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ. 13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit. 14 For the body is not one member, but many.

There is only one drink of the One Spirit that we all have been baptized by for why no other baptism with the Holy Ghost is needed to get any gift of the Spirit, let alone tongues.

19 And if they were all one member, where were the body? 20 But now are they many members, yet but one body. 21 And the eye cannot say unto the hand, I have no need of thee: nor again the head to the feet, I have no need of you.

To say tongues are for private use is a believer telling all the members of the body that you do not need them as you can use tongues for private use for so many benefits that it needs no interpretation & yet Paul prayed that someone would interpret that tongue in the assembly so he would understand it to actually benefit from that tongue.

But if you do not want to believe that, but believe that tongue and that phenomenon by how you got that tongue to be of God, I'll just pray for you.

Christ4Me

Jan 6, 2022
Pennsylvania / Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is your real issue?

You are making such a big deal about tongues when Paul never posed such condmenations as you do. I am sure he knew of pagan glossolalia. He was simply giving instructions on the proper how to for tongues! Corinth was a hot bed of paganism and debauchery.

Tongues for private use has bene gained by another calling and thus another gospel when saved believers seek after another baptism with the "holy Ghost" with evidence of tongues or by that sign of tongues as that calling used to be known by.

This is apostasy; this is the falling away from the faith prophesied; 2 Corinthians 11:3-4 & 2 Corinthians 13:5 & 1 Timothy 4:1 & Isaiah 8:19

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Perception is relative to the observer and not a sound basis for judgment. We're doing pretty well so far in this thread, so let peace dwell and love rule. Okay brother?

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'd bet Jehovah's witnesses don't speak in tongues either, and maybe not Mormons @Robert Gwin , and @Jane_Doe22 , what do you say?
The LDS Christian interpretation of the gift of tongues it is the ability to speak in a person’s native language so that they may hear the gospel. It’s not a show of somebody talking in a unknown language.

Reactions: Cassandra

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know who "we" is, but if you believe the gifts of the spirit ended with the death of the apostles and the completing of the Bible, you're wrong. I was healed by a female pastor praying to Jesus for that purpose and received my personal prayer language -- "tongues" -- immediately thereafter. If you disagree, that's okay, but I know and experienced what actually happened to me.
Those who argue that the gifts of the Holy Spirit died out with the the first apostles are completely wrong and it's obvious they have never looked for the gifts for themselves. What sort of church would teach that?

Christ4Me

Jan 6, 2022
Pennsylvania / Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are not going to change their belief about "prayer language". So the best thing to do is let them do as they wish.

Same thing for those who believe they are being self edified, but it is on God to cause the increase in recovering them from the snare of the devil were they prefer tongues and not the written scripture for edification; hence the route the Gnostics had taken.

2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. 16 But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness. 17 And their word will eat as doth a canker: of whom is Hymenaeus and Philetus;

24 And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, 25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 26 And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.