Gods laws

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

slipstream

Feb 12, 2008
(Exo 21:3) If he came in by himself, he shall go out by himself. If he was married, then his wife shall go out with him.Exo 21:4 If his master has given him a wife, and she has borne him sons or daughters, the wife and her children shall be her master's, and he shall go out by himself. Interesting reading.Why do you think God was giving the ok to own slave's. Also to be able to out laws that are good and laws today that would be bad.

zail

Feb 14, 2008
(slipstream;39400)
Why do you think God was giving the ok to own slave's. Also to be able to out laws that are good and laws today that would be bad.
I imagine slavery as something much different than how we know it today. I guess the world is so much more civilized now, that being a slave just doesn't do anything good in comparison for both the slave and the master. Today slavery is either abuse or a desperate last resort for someone to sell themselves into. On the other hand, in an ancient world, I bet it'd be hard to survive and raise much of a thriving family without clinging to a wealthy master, who would provide food and homes for his servents. It may have been tremendeously difficult to fend for yourself back then. It would have been a good idea to be a slave. I'd guess it was a good deal for both sides; more like how we see jobs (only the boss had authority encompassing of the whole life, not just 8 hours of the day). That's just my idea though. I haven't studied slavery much in the Bible.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
I would kind of have to agree zail Although today in history we have such terrable examples of slavery and have come to understand that No man has the right to own another. For God not to have condemed it out right it had to have served a civil purpose.God remined us that we are all equally his children So in the begining it seems it may have been a form of what today we might call Job security. But admittidly this just my opinion