God's Trust in Us

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christ4Me

Jan 6, 2022
Pennsylvania / Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you are wondering how much God places His trust in us, scripture does tell us;

John 2:23 Now when he was in Jerusalem at the passover, in the feast day, many believed in his name, when they saw the miracles which he did. 24 But Jesus did not commit himself unto them, because he knew all men, 25 And needed not that any should testify of man: for he knew what was in man.

That means God has zero trust in men.

Romans 3:10 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one: 11 There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God. 12 They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one. 13 Their throat is an open sepulchre; with their tongues they have used deceit; the poison of asps is under their lips: 14 Whose mouth is full of cursing and bitterness: 15 Their feet are swift to shed blood: 16 Destruction and misery are in their ways: 17 And the way of peace have they not known: 18 There is no fear of God before their eyes.

That is why He came to save us from our sins and keep us from them and not just give us eternal life.

What about God's expectations on us after we are saved? Next post.

Christ4Me

Jan 6, 2022
Pennsylvania / Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Does God trust in us after we are saved? No. Not even then. He began the good work in us so we are to rest in Him to finish it to His glory.

2 Corinthians 3:4 And such trust have we through Christ to God-ward: 5 Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God; 6 Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

2 Corinthians 4:5 For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord; and ourselves your servants for Jesus' sake. 6 For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 7 But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us.

Galatians 3:1O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you? 2 This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? 3 Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh? 4 Have ye suffered so many things in vain? if it be yet in vain.

Galatians 5:1Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.... 5 For we through the Spirit wait for the hope of righteousness by faith.

That means no believer should be living that reconciled relationship with God by keeping their commitments to follow him or make Him Lord over your lives or making any promises from the Promise Keepers' program to be good husbands and good fathers or any extra vows of love added to the marriage covenant, or any man made bondage of men to God.

Instead, we are to deny ourselves as able to follow Him by our religious flesh & will power, by the deeds of the law and rest in Jesus Christ by faith that we are saved and continue to rest in Him and His New Covenant to us that He will do it; He will finish His work in us, helping us to follow Him as the Good Shepherd & Friend that He is.

Luke 9:23 And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.

Galatians 2:18 For if I build again the things which I destroyed, I make myself a transgressor. 19 For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God. 20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. 21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

Philippians 1:6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ: 7 Even as it is meet for me to think this of you all, because I have you in my heart; inasmuch as both in my bonds, and in the defence and confirmation of the gospel, ye all are partakers of my grace. 8 For God is my record, how greatly I long after you all in the bowels of Jesus Christ. 9 And this I pray, that your love may abound yet more and more in knowledge and in all judgment; 10 That ye may approve things that are excellent; that ye may be sincere and without offence till the day of Christ. 11 Being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of God.

What is the hope for habitual sinners and Christians seemingly dominated by sin's power? Next post.

Christ4Me

Jan 6, 2022
Pennsylvania / Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So put all your hope in Him to save you from your sins & even to keep you from them daily.

John 8:30 As he spake these words, many believed on him. 31 Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed; 32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free. 33 They answered him, We be Abraham's seed, and were never in bondage to any man: how sayest thou, Ye shall be made free? 34 Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin. 35 And the servant abideth not in the house for ever: but the Son abideth ever. 36 If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.

Romans 13:12 The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light. 13 Let us walk honestly, as in the day; not in rioting and drunkenness, not in chambering and wantonness, not in strife and envying. 14 But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof.

1 Corinthians 10:12 Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall. 13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

1 John 3:3 And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure... 8 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

Hebrews 12:1Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, 2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2 Timothy 4:18 And the Lord shall deliver me from every evil work, and will preserve me unto his heavenly kingdom: to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

Jude 1:24 Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy, 25 To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen.

Christ4Me

Jan 6, 2022
Pennsylvania / Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When you do not have confidence in yourself to follow Him, trust Him to do this in helping you to follow Him.

Proverbs 16:9 A man's heart deviseth his way: but the Lord directeth his steps.

Hope in Him to even direct your thoughts, in helping you cast down wicked imaginations/evil thoughts by thinking on good things.

Psalm 19:12 Who can understand his errors? cleanse thou me from secret faults. 13 Keep back thy servant also from presumptuous sins; let them not have dominion over me: then shall I be upright, and I shall be innocent from the great transgression. 14 Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord, my strength, and my redeemer.

Colossians 3:1If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. 2 Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.

Matthew 6:21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also. 22 The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light. 23 But if thine eye be evil, thy whole body shall be full of darkness. If therefore the light that is in thee be darkness, how great is that darkness!

Hebrews 12:1Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, 2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2 Corinthians 10:4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;) 5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ; 6 And having in a readiness to revenge all disobedience, when your obedience is fulfilled.

Philippians 4:6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. 8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. 9 Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you.

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for starting this thread, it’s too personal to share everything but I was in a bit of a battle last night regarding something The Lord has been taking me through …..you said

Instead, we are to deny ourselves as able to follow Him by our religious flesh & will power, by the deeds of the law and rest in Jesus Christ by faith that we are saved and continue to rest in Him and His New Covenant to us that He will do it; He will finish His work in us, helping us to follow Him as the Good Shepherd & Friend that He is.

I have been reading a book about the 23rd psalm ( a shepherd looks at the 23rd psalm ) while also reading through the Old Testament account of transition from Egypt to the promised land, but from the prospective of it reflecting the spiritual journey from redemption to security in Christ. I had reached the part yesterday, in Joshua, where the people recommitted their lives to God, made a new promise to follow him. That’s where it gets personal ……….

Rita

Christ4Me

Jan 6, 2022
Pennsylvania / Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for starting this thread, it’s too personal to share everything but I was in a bit of a battle last night regarding something The Lord has been taking me through …..you said

I have been reading a book about the 23rd psalm ( a shepherd looks at the 23rd psalm ) while also reading through the Old Testament account of transition from Egypt to the promised land, but from the prospective of it reflecting the spiritual journey from redemption to security in Christ. I had reached the part yesterday, in Joshua, where the people recommitted their lives to God, made a new promise to follow him. That’s where it gets personal ……….

Rita

It is personal when they look to themselves to do the best they can in following Him to obtain their salvation under the Old Covenant in being His people.

Failing that, it is God's turn under the New Covenant and all He asks from us is to believe Him.

John 6:28 Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God? 29 Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.

There are accounts of believers quitting Christianity because it is too hard when trying to keep that commitment to follow Him. One believer said God will help us keep our commitment but that is not what His word says. His words says if we make a vow, we have do it. He cannot help us do it when it is our vow or promise or commitment. What we make by bond to God is telling God we are going to do it all.

Numbers 30:2 If a man vow a vow unto the Lord, or swear an oath to bind his soul with a bond; he shall not break his word, he shall do according to all that proceedeth out of his mouth.

Our vow means it is the work of our hands for why God cannot help us and this is why He warned believers not to be hasty in making vows.

Ecclesiastes 5:4 When thou vowest a vow unto God, defer not to pay it; for he hath no pleasure in fools: pay that which thou hast vowed. 5 Better is it that thou shouldest not vow, than that thou shouldest vow and not pay. 6 Suffer not thy mouth to cause thy flesh to sin; neither say thou before the angel, that it was an error: wherefore should God be angry at thy voice, and destroy the work of thine hands? 7 For in the multitude of dreams and many words there are also divers vanities: but fear thou God.

Circumcision is the smallest letter of the law that if believers did that for justification, they are required to do the whole law. So making a vow, promise, or a commitment to God is the biggest letter of the law, because we are telling God we are going to do it by keeping that commitment.

But it is God's turn now under the New Covenant that He will do it and all He asks from us is to believe Him to do His work in us & to finish it for we are the work of His hands.

Matthew 5:33 Again, ye have heard that it hath been said by them of old time, Thou shalt not forswear thyself, but shalt perform unto the Lord thine oaths: 34 But I say unto you, Swear not at all; neither by heaven; for it is God's throne: 35 Nor by the earth; for it is his footstool: neither by Jerusalem; for it is the city of the great King. 36 Neither shalt thou swear by thy head, because thou canst not make one hair white or black. 37 But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil.

Saying yes to God in believing Him to do it all under the New Covenant is what pleases God, not just for salvation t rest in Him as saved, but for following Him since He is our Good Shepherd & fried to help us to follow Him all the way Home to the Marriage supper above in Heaven to his glory.

Believers under that commitment should wonder how they can apply these verses below in their walk with Him if they really believe it is okay.

Galatians 5:1Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.... 5 For we through the Spirit wait for the hope of righteousness by faith.

Thank you for sharing.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America

Rita
@Rita I love how Psalm 23 ties in with John chapter 10, about the Good Shepherd...

Reactions: Christ4Me

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I will check that out Farouk ,off hand I wouldn’t have a clue what John 10 says !!! Lol