God's Word is Truth, specifically a thread for EG and J77

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Nimrod died long before Esau and Jacob were born.

That is an opinion you are espousing. If what you are saying is true, then please provide the facts that support your opinion.

The Book of Jasher suggests otherwise.

Shalom

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is my understanding that Esau was a hunter of game in the field, and travelled into the countryside to find wild game to kill and eat. He also gave Isaac, His father, some of the game that he had killed to eat as well, and Isaac regarded/loved Esau more than he regarded/loved Jacob.

These verses, which I had previously posted above tell us this: -

Genesis 25:27-28: - 27 So the boys grew. And Esau was a skillful hunter, a man of the field; but Jacob was a mild man, dwelling in tents. 28 And Isaac loved Esau because he ate of his game, but Rebekah loved Jacob.​

The Book of Jasher, chapter 27, gives us an account of Esau selling his birthright to Jacob when he had come into the tent of Jacob.

In this account we are told that Esau had killed Nimrod and taken his clothes of office which his father had given him, the very skins that God had given Adam to cover him.

Now whether or not we accept this version as to why Esau sold his birthright is immaterial, the Bible is silent as to what Esau was doing before he entered Jacob's tent and asked for some of what Jacob was preparing to eat.

Genesis 25:29-34: - Esau Sells His Birthright
(Heb 12:16)

29 Now Jacob cooked a stew; and Esau came in from the field, and he was weary. 30 And Esau said to Jacob, "Please feed me with that same red stew, for I am weary." Therefore his name was called Edom.

31 But Jacob said, "Sell me your birthright as of this day."

32 And Esau said, "Look, I am about to die; so what is this birthright to me?"

33 Then Jacob said, "Swear to me as of this day."

So he swore to him, and sold his birthright to Jacob. 34 And Jacob gave Esau bread and stew of lentils; then he ate and drank, arose, and went his way. Thus Esau despised his birthright.​

Why did Esau say to Jacob, "Look, I am about to die; so what is this birthright to me?" The passage is silent as to why Esau would think that he was about to die.

The passage is also silent as to what it meant when it states, "Now Jacob cooked a stew; and Esau came in from the field, and he was weary."

The Bible is silent as to the age of the twin brothers in this passage and also as to what it means when it tells us that Esau had come in from the field. You have placed your interpretation on the passage as to what Esau had been doing and where he had been before entering Jacob tent and asking for some food.

The problem is the interpretation and subsequent understanding that you have placed on the above passage.

The information in Chapter 27 of the Book of Jasher, does not, as you claim, contradict the above passage, but it does call into question your interpretation and understanding from the silence of the passage with regards to what the background story might have been.

The passage from the Book of Jasher suggests that Esau tried to take, by force, God's purposes for his life whereas, Jacob quietly was waiting for God's Blessing to be given to him.

Shalom
The book of Jasher?

theophilus

Nov 13, 2012
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is an opinion you are espousing. If what you are saying is true, then please provide the facts that support your opinion.

The Book of Jasher suggests otherwise.

Shalom
The sons of Ham: Cush, Egypt, Put, and Canaan. The sons of Cush: Seba, Havilah, Sabtah, Raamah, and Sabteca. The sons of Raamah: Sheba and Dedan. Cush fathered Nimrod; he was the first on earth to be a mighty man. He was a mighty hunter before the LORD. Therefore it is said, “Like Nimrod a mighty hunter before the LORD.”
Genesis 10:6-9 ESV

Nimrod was the great grandson of Noah. He died long before Esau was born. It is clear that the Book of Jasher is not inspired by God and should not be used as a source of information about him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eternally Grateful

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The sons of Ham: Cush, Egypt, Put, and Canaan. The sons of Cush: Seba, Havilah, Sabtah, Raamah, and Sabteca. The sons of Raamah: Sheba and Dedan. Cush fathered Nimrod; he was the first on earth to be a mighty man. He was a mighty hunter before the LORD. Therefore it is said, “Like Nimrod a mighty hunter before the LORD.”
Genesis 10:6-9 ESV

Nimrod was the great grandson of Noah. He died long before Esau was born. It is clear that the Book of Jasher is not inspired by God and should not be used as a source of information about him.

Where is your argument found in the passage that you quoted. The passage is silent on how long Nimrod lived. You are simply expessing your opinion and have nothing to back it up as to when Nimrod died.

Let us use scripture to paint a very different picture.

Genesis 10:8-12: - 8 Cush begot Nimrod; he began to be a mighty one on the earth. 9 He was a mighty hunter before the Lord; therefore it is said, "Like Nimrod the mighty hunter before the Lord." 10 And the beginning of his kingdom was Babel, Erech, Accad, and Calneh, in the land of Shinar. 11 From that land he went to Assyria and built Nineveh, Rehoboth Ir, Calah, 12 and Resen between Nineveh and Calah (that is the principal city).

Genesis 11:1-9: - The Tower of Babel

11:1 Now the whole earth had one language and one speech. 2 And it came to pass, as they journeyed from the east, that they found a plain in the land of Shinar, and they dwelt there. 3 Then they said to one another, "Come, let us make bricks and bake them thoroughly." They had brick for stone, and they had asphalt for mortar. 4 And they said, "Come, let us build ourselves a city, and a tower whose top is in the heavens; let us make a name for ourselves, lest we be scattered abroad over the face of the whole earth."

5 But the Lord came down to see the city and the tower which the sons of men had built. 6 And the Lord said, "Indeed the people are one and they all have one language, and this is what they begin to do; now nothing that they propose to do will be withheld from them. 7 Come, let Us go down and there confuse their language, that they may not understand one another's speech." 8 So the Lord scattered them abroad from there over the face of all the earth, and they ceased building the city. 9 Therefore its name is called Babel, because there the Lord confused the language of all the earth; and from there the Lord scattered them abroad over the face of all the earth.

and

1 Chron 1:19: - 19 To Eber were born two sons: the name of one was Peleg, for in his days the earth was divided; and his brother's name was Joktan.​

The diagram below sets out the lives of the patriarchs and the Tower of Babel event to show when God Scattered the nations all over the earth.

upload_2020-5-22_9-16-1.png

In the diagram we can see that Shelar was still alive when Jacob and Esau were born, and Nimrod was of the same vintage as Shelar, and if Stelar was still alive after the birth of Esau, then it is possible that Nimrod was still alive and that Esau killed him to get the skins from him. Possible when he was around 16 years of age.

There is also a belief that Nimrod was one of the four kings mentioned in this passage from the scriptures but he had rebadged himself because the Tower of Babel and the city was never finished.

Genesis 14:8-9: - 8 And the king of Sodom, the king of Gomorrah, the king of Admah, the king of Zeboiim, and the king of Bela (that is, Zoar) went out and joined together in battle in the Valley of Siddim 9 against Chedorlaomer king of Elam, Tidal king of nations, Amraphel king of Shinar, and Arioch king of Ellasar — four kings against five.

Shimar was where the Tower of babel was built.

Can I suggest that you consider the above dot points and join them together.

Shalom