Gossip

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How is that different from lying? Anybody know?

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One who gossips, right or wrong, about the person they are gossiping about are attacking their character. Slander, really! And if lying while they are gossiping, then it's bearing false witness/lying and gossiping so...triple whammy there :eek: Gossipers are usually two faced as well so, that is lying as, I'm pretty sure they would not own up to what they say behind their back.
So then, there seems to be a few differences. :)

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
gossip is the unconstrained conversation or reports about other people (mostly negative). It usually involves the inability to discern when information received is to be kept to oneself as opposed to information able to be shared.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gossip isn't always a lie. Gossip is about telling others intimate or personal details about another person, especially when its bad stuff.

Did you hear that Bob and Jane had a fight? Well, right after that, I saw Bob at the bar and he was flirting with the pretty bartender!

All that might be true. But it leads to an assumption that Bob is having an affair or hooked up with the bartender after having a fight with his girlfriend. That may not be true at all.

Gossip? Its pretty much not minding your business in order to look like a bigshot.

Yan

Jun 15, 2020
City of David
the-land-of-hope.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Indonesia
Gossip and Rumour sometimes used to sold someone's life as a human trafficking object.
This is why artists, celebrities, actors or actress life had been sold as an entertainment news in mainstream media such as tv.
The world is ruled by the Evil One, and their food is the sins of the people, they will intimidate or create a false allegation only to put those people fell into sins and that was the purpose of Evil One so that those people who were in object of their observation will be recruit as Evil One worshiper.
The Evil One came from the Alamut of the Last Crusade, they're the real Anti Christ as their ideology came from Persia where all Babylonian used it, as the beast of Manticore (Karibu/Cherubim) were came from it where Daniel was thrown into the cave of lions; if Persian Manticore was from India, so the source of the First Book of Adam & Eve (Chapter XVIII verse 9) where the serpent was thrown onto India sea shore was correct. Nazi ideology of One World Gov (NWO) was inspired by Nizari Ismaili State blue print from Philistine scholar Amin Al-Husseini. They'd used Anti Christ propaganda while themself is the real Anti Christ.

Gossip or Rumour is one of Human Trafficking tools
Human Trafficking and Social Media

Hosea 4:8
The sin of my people is like food to them; and their desire is for their wrongdoing.

Last edited:
Reactions: April_Rose

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Contrary to the opinions of some, gossip is not confined to women. One of the worst gossips I ever knew was a man, a man who was once my friend. I learned to never open my mouth to him about anything that I did not want the rest of the world to know. He would tell family, friends and strangers... really anyone who would listen and he was a talker.

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Contrary to the opinions of some, gossip is not confined to women. One of the worst gossips I ever knew was a man, a man who was once my friend. I learned to never open my mouth to him about anything that I did not want the rest of the world to know. He would tell family, friends and strangers... really anyone who would listen and he was a talker.

I think that people like that aren't always aware of what they're doing. As I know somebody like that who's a really nice person and a friend of mine so I don't wish to speak negatively about him, but I honestly believe he doesn't know how to mind his own business and I don't mean that in a mean way,.. I mean it in a he doesn't understand what he does way.

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think that people like that aren't always aware of what they're doing. As I know somebody like that who's a really nice person and a friend of mine so I don't wish to speak negatively about him, but I honestly believe he doesn't know how to mind his own business and I don't mean that in a mean way,.. I mean it in a he doesn't understand what he does way.
Precisely what I saw in my friend. He would give assurances about keeping secrets or being careful not to repeat a thing to just anyone. He would not repeat it to just anyone... only to anyone who would listen.

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Precisely what I saw in my friend. He would give assurances about keeping secrets or being careful not to repeat a thing to just anyone. He would not repeat it to just anyone... only to anyone who would listen.

LOL are you sure we aren't/weren't friends with the same person? :D

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
LOL are you sure we aren't/weren't friends with the same person? :D
Unfortunately there is more than one like that walking around. In any case mine died so at least his mouth is finally closed in that respect. No more gossiping!

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Unfortunately there is more than one like that walking around. In any case mine died so at least his mouth is finally closed in that respect. No more gossiping!

Ah okay well mine's still alive and I feel highly uncomfortable talking about him like this behind his back. :( We have a lot of the fun going out to eat and to the movies and stuff and we all have our flaws anyways. That won't stop me from liking him,.. I get into moods where I just won't shut up even though it's not gossiping LOL :D Doesn't make him like me any less. :)

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

John, I've known many men who just love to gossip when their bored...worked on a missile site for several years in the A.F. and, they were even hooked on soaps! I had to wake a few when their "show" was on :D
In general, when someone I know or do not know talks on and on...I sense lies or, contradictions. Gossip in the church is rampant! Granted, some Christians have done this their whole life and find it as a 'sin that so bests them' and they (hopefully) fight it and pray to STOP.

Reactions: amadeus and TLHKAJ

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How is that different from lying? Anybody know?

One who gossips, right or wrong, about the person they are gossiping about are attacking their character.

Or revealing their character.

Gossip may be just revealing things the object of gossip would not necessarily want revealed. In that respect, my own mother gossiped about me. (She was proud of her son) Slander is only things are are untrue said in public. Usually, gossip is associated with not merely sharing private information but also passing judgement on it, favorable or unfavorable.

One example is a coworker going on and on about the record of candidate Trump. Her tone of voice indicated condemnation. The more she tried to convince me that he was a scoundrel the more I took her gossip as a badge of honor for the man I admired.

Of course, lying is straight up deception. And here is the frequent connection. Most people who gossip about you act like your friend, when they may not be. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Nancy

Yan

Jun 15, 2020
City of David
the-land-of-hope.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Indonesia
Sometimes when people are being the target of community, there is no secret will be able to kept as secret where the man in the mountain is vulnerable (Matthew 5:14), if he/she don't talk any of those "secret things" to public to make it straight many people will use it as a rumour and gossip and they even bend the truth become negative.
Gossip or Rumour sometimes opposite with the real facts when the facts is positive, but when the facts are negative they will use it plainly. That is why rumour or gossip is violating the 10 commandments (don't bear a false witness), if the world use gossip & rumour as an entertainment news so the whole world is trully a full of sinners and a dead man spiritualy (all people is zombie). As the gossip & rumour is kind of character assassination.

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Or revealing their character.

Gossip may be just revealing things the object of gossip would not necessarily want revealed. In that respect, my own mother gossiped about me. (She was proud of her son) Slander is only things are are untrue said in public. Usually, gossip is associated with not merely sharing private information but also passing judgement on it, favorable or unfavorable.

One example is a coworker going on and on about the record of candidate Trump. Her tone of voice indicated condemnation. The more she tried to convince me that he was a scoundrel the more I took her gossip as a badge of honor for the man I admired.

Of course, lying is straight up deception. And here is the frequent connection. Most people who gossip about you act like your friend, when they may not be. Hope this helps.

Also, Libel (written) I think would be lying in public to hurt someone's character, possibly lose their job, hurt their family relationships...etc. That would be worse I think.
Slander (oral) is defaming someone's character...both are bad and both IMHO is "gossip"... shouldn't matter I would think whether it is exposing the truth about someone or not, still gossip and, God looks at our actions individually. Of course, if the "libel" were to expose a wrong being done to others then, I see that as using it rightly.
JMO :)