• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would like to share a sermon about Grace, taught by my former Pastor, Dr. Zac Nazarian. I've learned much over a period of twelve years from his teachings.
I still consider him my Pastor even though I live out of state.

Hope Chapel

Last edited:

Happy Trails

Feb 6, 2022
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This response exposes a few things.

1. You have utterly no idea what I think faith is. Faith is not mental acknowledgement, It is deeper than this, If you would read my posts. You would see this. But for whatever reason, You think you are all knowing. Thus you know what I believe/

I never said a word about "what you think faith is." I can read for myself, and experience for myself, what the mainstream Christian narrative is about faith. I've been listening to mainstream Christian sermons for 40 years. I did not claim to read your mind. Modern, mainstream Christian theological perspective was the subject of my comments. I literally said that, specifically. I do know that faith without works is dead.

2. In saying this
You prove my point that your focus is on works. No matter how you deny it. You claim you have faith in God. But your faith is in your works. You claim you can not be saved by works, Yet you claim if you do not work hard enough to not do whatever it is you think would cause you to lose salvation. That you will in effect lose eternal life (which means it was never eternal to begin with.

The NT is replete with instructions about works, including "good works versus dead works." I pointed out that there are HUNDREDS of verses on the topic. If we eliminate verses about "works" and "obedience," there will be very little NT left to read.

You say, "you claim you have faith in God. But, your faith is in your works."

My response: "You have utterly no idea what I put my faith in."

EVERY NT writer talks about obeying YHVH. Some people want to distill that down to "obeying Jesus." OK. Jesus said to obey the Law. He NEVER put a time limit on it. He never said it was going to expire. Jesus said, "as long as heaven and earth remain, not one consonant or one diacritical mark will pass from the Law until it is ALL fulfilled."

Heaven and earth are still here, and much of the Law is yet to be fulfilled. So, it has not passed away. It is still the Law.

I NEVER said "if I don't work hard enough I will lose my salvation." That is a complete distortion of what I said. At the very least, it is a dishonest characterization. I did not expect that from you.

I can, however, choose to reject the goodness of YHVH and return to the world. 2 Peter 2 is an entire chapter regarding that very thing. I specifically said, "...unless I did something extraordinary and foolish." Rejecting YHVH and abandoning the faith, just as Peter describes, would be that.

3. You claim the carnal mind can not please God. I agree.. Yet the lost has no basis for having a non carnal mind, everything they do, whether it be a good deed. Or sin, comes from a carnal mind, Its why they can do no good. Because it is who they are. Scripture says we love because God first loved us, You have no capacity to love unless you are saved. Because you have self love fleshly love, Not spiritual love which comes from God.

What the lost have, or don't have, is moot. 1 Corinthians 3 is an entire chapter addressed to a bunch of Christians whom Paul calls "carnal." They are carnal because they are "babes in Christ." They don't know enough to let go of the world they knew before their conversion. They have yet to get past the initiation stage. They have no depth of knowledge. The eighth chapter of Romans is written as a warning to Roman believers. They, too, are hanging on to their past. They have yet to understand that the Law is prophetic evidence for the Messiah. The things they observed in the past honored other gods. Now, they should submit to the Law of YHVH. They can't do that while continuing to honor the gods they once embraced. The feasts of the Torah are all about Jesus. (John 5:46) The carnal Christians have trouble letting go of their traditions. The carnal mind has nothing to do with "the lost." It is about hanging on to paganism while claiming to belong to Jesus.

You ask why people can drown if they are shown Grace. Its easy. Grace was offered to them, They rejected it. They did not believe the one sent to rescue could or would save them. Their pride kept them from trusting, or they trusted self. They either acted like the pharisee, who praised how good he was. Or act like th earthiest, who says their is no God. Or make up their own God (romans 1)

When was grace offered? All I see is that YHVH saw the wickedness of mankind and decided to destroy them. The Bible does NOT say grace was offered and rejected. They did not find favor with YHVH because of their actions. Noah DID find grace because of HIS actions. In BOTH cases, the grace was NOT "unmerited." It was COMPLETELY merited! Those that drowned acted one way, Noah acted another. Those that drowned would have gotten unmerited favor if they had survived. Otherwise, they got what their choices merited.

None of these people are saved. A religious person can look saved, Act saved, Do all these great christian works. Yet in the end, As jesus said, On that day many will come and say did I not do all these great works in your name

Jesus will say, depart. For I never knew you.

Matthew 7:23 "you workers of iniquity." The Greek renders it as "ergezomenoi ten anomian." That literally means "workers without the Law." All the religious people Jesus does not know are the ones who do not obey the Law. They are the carnal Christians. They are the babes in Christ. They may have been a Christian for 30 years. They may have a world-wide ministry. But, they have not moved past the initiation. They are still hanging on to the world and its religious system. For some, they make too much money in the God business. Obeying YHVH would threaten their livelihood.

You want to talk about sanctification and christian growth, We can talk about it. But until we talk about how one will be raised from God on the last day, as apposed to delivered to him for judgment, Then all talk of personal sanctification is meaningless

Again, you return to the "are you saved" theme that reigns supreme. "Saved" is the initiation. It's the first grade. Hebrews 6 tells us it is time to get past the fundamentals and move on to perfection. Of course, he can only write this letter to Hebrews. Only THEY have the background to understand what he is saying. They don't have a phobia about not being saved. That's a modern Christian phenomenon.

How would one move on to perfection? He might look for some instructions. 2 Timothy 3:15-17 tells us that the Scriptures Timothy had from his youth are the instructions in righteousness that will make us perfect. Timothy did not have the NT from his youth. He had the Law and the Prophets.

I don't doubt that you are saved. So, let's move on to sanctification. Sanctification is separation from the world's system of religion. Sanctification is separation from Babylon. Babylon is the system that rejects YHVH's prophetic shadows regarding the Messiah in favor of renamed pagan rituals. Babylon changes YHVH's times and laws.
Daniel 7:25

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1. You have utterly no idea what I think faith is. Faith is not mental acknowledgement, It is deeper than this, If you would read my posts. You would see this. But for whatever reason, You think you are all knowing. Thus you know what I believe/

I never said a word about "what you think faith is." I can read for myself, and experience for myself, what the mainstream Christian narrative is about faith. I've been listening to mainstream Christian sermons for 40 years. I did not claim to read your mind. Modern, mainstream Christian theological perspective was the subject of my comments. I literally said that, specifically. I do know that faith without works is dead.

2. In saying this
You prove my point that your focus is on works. No matter how you deny it. You claim you have faith in God. But your faith is in your works. You claim you can not be saved by works, Yet you claim if you do not work hard enough to not do whatever it is you think would cause you to lose salvation. That you will in effect lose eternal life (which means it was never eternal to begin with.

The NT is replete with instructions about works, including "good works versus dead works." I pointed out that there are HUNDREDS of verses on the topic. If we eliminate verses about "works" and "obedience," there will be very little NT left to read.

You say, "you claim you have faith in God. But, your faith is in your works."

My response: "You have utterly no idea what I put my faith in."

EVERY NT writer talks about obeying YHVH. Some people want to distill that down to "obeying Jesus." OK. Jesus said to obey the Law. He NEVER put a time limit on it. He never said it was going to expire. Jesus said, "as long as heaven and earth remain, not one consonant or one diacritical mark will pass from the Law until it is ALL fulfilled."

Heaven and earth are still here, and much of the Law is yet to be fulfilled. So, it has not passed away. It is still the Law.

I NEVER said "if I don't work hard enough I will lose my salvation." That is a complete distortion of what I said. At the very least, it is a dishonest characterization. I did not expect that from you.

I can, however, choose to reject the goodness of YHVH and return to the world. 2 Peter 2 is an entire chapter regarding that very thing. I specifically said, "...unless I did something extraordinary and foolish." Rejecting YHVH and abandoning the faith, just as Peter describes, would be that.

3. You claim the carnal mind can not please God. I agree.. Yet the lost has no basis for having a non carnal mind, everything they do, whether it be a good deed. Or sin, comes from a carnal mind, Its why they can do no good. Because it is who they are. Scripture says we love because God first loved us, You have no capacity to love unless you are saved. Because you have self love fleshly love, Not spiritual love which comes from God.

What the lost have, or don't have, is moot. 1 Corinthians 3 is an entire chapter addressed to a bunch of Christians whom Paul calls "carnal." They are carnal because they are "babes in Christ." They don't know enough to let go of the world they knew before their conversion. They have yet to get past the initiation stage. They have no depth of knowledge. The eighth chapter of Romans is written as a warning to Roman believers. They, too, are hanging on to their past. They have yet to understand that the Law is prophetic evidence for the Messiah. The things they observed in the past honored other gods. Now, they should submit to the Law of YHVH. They can't do that while continuing to honor the gods they once embraced. The feasts of the Torah are all about Jesus. (John 5:46) The carnal Christians have trouble letting go of their traditions. The carnal mind has nothing to do with "the lost." It is about hanging on to paganism while claiming to belong to Jesus.

You ask why people can drown if they are shown Grace. Its easy. Grace was offered to them, They rejected it. They did not believe the one sent to rescue could or would save them. Their pride kept them from trusting, or they trusted self. They either acted like the pharisee, who praised how good he was. Or act like th earthiest, who says their is no God. Or make up their own God (romans 1)

When was grace offered? All I see is that YHVH saw the wickedness of mankind and decided to destroy them. The Bible does NOT say grace was offered and rejected. They did not find favor with YHVH because of their actions. Noah DID find grace because of HIS actions. In BOTH cases, the grace was NOT "unmerited." It was COMPLETELY merited! Those that drowned acted one way, Noah acted another. Those that drowned would have gotten unmerited favor if they had survived. Otherwise, they got what their choices merited.

None of these people are saved. A religious person can look saved, Act saved, Do all these great christian works. Yet in the end, As jesus said, On that day many will come and say did I not do all these great works in your name

Jesus will say, depart. For I never knew you.

Matthew 7:23 "you workers of iniquity." The Greek renders it as "ergezomenoi ten anomian." That literally means "workers without the Law." All the religious people Jesus does not know are the ones who do not obey the Law. They are the carnal Christians. They are the babes in Christ. They may have been a Christian for 30 years. They may have a world-wide ministry. But, they have not moved past the initiation. They are still hanging on to the world and its religious system. For some, they make too much money in the God business. Obeying YHVH would threaten their livelihood.

You want to talk about sanctification and christian growth, We can talk about it. But until we talk about how one will be raised from God on the last day, as apposed to delivered to him for judgment, Then all talk of personal sanctification is meaningless

Again, you return to the "are you saved" theme that reigns supreme. "Saved" is the initiation. It's the first grade. Hebrews 6 tells us it is time to get past the fundamentals and move on to perfection. Of course, he can only write this letter to Hebrews. Only THEY have the background to understand what he is saying. They don't have a phobia about not being saved. That's a modern Christian phenomenon.

How would one move on to perfection? He might look for some instructions. 2 Timothy 3:15-17 tells us that the Scriptures Timothy had from his youth are the instructions in righteousness that will make us perfect. Timothy did not have the NT from his youth. He had the Law and the Prophets.

I don't doubt that you are saved. So, let's move on to sanctification. Sanctification is separation from the world's system of religion. Sanctification is separation from Babylon. Babylon is the system that rejects YHVH's prophetic shadows regarding the Messiah in favor of renamed pagan rituals. Babylon changes YHVH's times and laws.
Daniel 7:25
Like a previous poster said, There is no need to continue this conversation. It is useless.

good day sir. I have neither time of the patience trying to explain something to you you will never understand.

Happy Trails

Feb 6, 2022
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ha ha ha ha ha ha......!!!!!!!!!!!

That's a classic.

"Every point I made has been shown to be flawed, so you are no longer worth my time!"

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are speaking about one word in the Bible sir. It means what it means, and as I stated it is best translated kindness in today's English. Like you mentioned there are many more titles and words that describe things and persons in the Bible, that is why it is so beneficial to take the Bible as a whole.
Jesus loves you Robert, He is the manifestation of GRACE given to mankind. Can I get an Amen?

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ha ha ha ha ha ha......!!!!!!!!!!!

That's a classic.

"Every point I made has been shown to be flawed, so you are no longer worth my time!"

Of this we agree. Every point you made was shown to be flawed..

You should not be so proud. When you get puffed up thinking you have wan something (that you have not won) this is what happens. You get so excited you make a mistake..

Although this time, You did not make a mistake, What you wrote was true. But we know that is not what you meant to write.

Happy Trails

Feb 6, 2022
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Of this we agree. Every point you made was shown to be flawed..

You should not be so proud. When you get puffed up thinking you have wan something (that you have not won) this is what happens. You get so excited you make a mistake..

Although this time, You did not make a mistake, What you wrote was true. But we know that is not what you meant to write.

I made a quote paraphrasing your statement.

I never said you weren't worth MY time. YOU said I was not worth YOUR time. YOUR points were readily dismantled, so YOU decided that I am not worth YOUR time. It's much easier than actually addressing the issues.

Feel free to address anything, like the fact that the "carnal mind" statements by Paul were addressing Christians, not the lost. Your entire argument is that it is the lost that are carnally minded. Paul says it was Christians.

Feel free to address the fact that Matthew 7:23 says that it is the people who do their works without the Law are the ones He does not know.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I made a quote paraphrasing your statement.

I never said you weren't worth MY time. YOU said I was not worth YOUR time. YOUR points were readily dismantled, so YOU decided that I am not worth YOUR time. It's much easier than actually addressing the issues.

Feel free to address anything, like the fact that the "carnal mind" statements by Paul were addressing Christians, not the lost. Your entire argument is that it is the lost that are carnally minded. Paul says it was Christians.

Feel free to address the fact that Matthew 7:23 says that it is the people who do their works without the Law are the ones He does not know.
I never said YOU were not worth my time. I said trying to EXPLAIN something to you that you will never even consider is not worth my time

Yet another slanderous remark from someone who can not take being told they are wrong.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus loves you Robert, He is the manifestation of GRACE given to mankind. Can I get an Amen?

I do agree with that Ron, Jesus himself said no man has greater love than this, that he give his life in behalf of others, he gave the greatest sacrifice a human can give, his life. I would like to think I would do that, but depending on the circumstances, I am not so sure.

The reason I say that is because I had a friend die recently with Kidney failure, inside I wanted to offer him a kidney, which wouldn't even constitute a loss of life even, I even intended to speak to my doctor and then him about it, but the truth is, I never did. It still weighs on my conscience, because of the possibility of being able to save his life, but unwilling to inconvenience mine.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do agree with that Ron, Jesus himself said no man has greater love than this, that he give his life in behalf of others, he gave the greatest sacrifice a human can give, his life. I would like to think I would do that, but depending on the circumstances, I am not so sure.

The reason I say that is because I had a friend die recently with Kidney failure, inside I wanted to offer him a kidney, which wouldn't even constitute a loss of life even, I even intended to speak to my doctor and then him about it, but the truth is, I never did. It still weighs on my conscience, because of the possibility of being able to save his life, but unwilling to inconvenience mine.

I offered my kidney to my Dad and he said no, everyone around me said no too, that he was too old (80). He had other problems too and it might not have taken. He died a few years later.
Many have given their lives for family and country willingly. I think the only way you can is if you believe that your eternal life is secure. Otherwise, why would anybody sacrifice their life if there was nothing beyond ir they were uncertain.
We (most of Christianity) believe that when we die, we go directly to be with the Lord in Heaven. So it is a plus, not a loss - if you are presented with that opportunity. Then again, one could reason to just let a person die (if they have lived out their years) in order that he can escape his pain, suffering and this world to be at peace in Heaven.
The resolve is God gives life and takes it away, so whenever He decides your number is up we should accept it unless of course we are being tested to respond and we always are - decisions.
Forrest Gump was my favorite movie. I like the message in the scene when his Mom, Sally Fields, was dying. He arrives, she sees him and greets him with a smile. "What's wrong Momma?" With a calmness, at peace, she tries to comfort Forrest and says,
"I'm dying Forrest".
"Why?" "
"It's my time ... it's just my time." Don't be afraid sweetheart. Death is just a part of life, something we are all destined to do. I was destined to be your Momma and I did the best I could. You have to do the best with what God gave you."
"You did good Momma."
Then she goes on about having to "make your own destiny" and "life is like a box of chocolates, you never knowing what you are going to get."

Reactions: marks

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I offered my kidney to my Dad and he said no, everyone around me said no too, that he was too old (80). He had other problems too and it might not have taken. He died a few years later.
Many have given their lives for family and country willingly. I think the only way you can is if you believe that your eternal life is secure. Otherwise, why would anybody sacrifice their life if there was nothing beyond ir they were uncertain.
We (most of Christianity) believe that when we die, we go directly to be with the Lord in Heaven. So it is a plus, not a loss - if you are presented with that opportunity. Then again, one could reason to just let a person die (if they have lived out their years) in order that he can escape his pain, suffering and this world to be at peace in Heaven.
The resolve is God gives life and takes it away, so whenever He decides your number is up we should accept it unless of course we are being tested to respond and we always are - decisions.
Forrest Gump was my favorite movie. I like the message in the scene when his Mom, Sally Fields, was dying. He arrives, she sees him and greets him with a smile. "What's wrong Momma?" With a calmness, at peace, she tries to comfort Forrest and says,
"I'm dying Forrest".
"Why?" "
"It's my time ... it's just my time." Don't be afraid sweetheart. Death is just a part of life, something we are all destined to do. I was destined to be your Momma and I did the best I could. You have to do the best with what God gave you."
"You did good Momma."
Then she goes on about having to "make your own destiny" and "life is like a box of chocolates, you never knowing what you are going to get."

Yes Ron, I hope I can approach death as did Forest's mother and be as graceful. The Bible teaches that the day of one's death is better than the day of their birth Ecc 7:1 and I certainly believe that is true. At this time if one is born again, they will be instantly resurrected to heaven upon death, whereas if they are not, they will have to await the Kingdom's coming to be resurrected. The great thing about that is since they are not conscious of anything Ecc 5:9, no matter how long they are in the grave, their resurrection will seem instantaneous, and they will come into a much better world, where inherited death is no more.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Grace is unmerited no matter what it is.

The fact we walk this earth is of grace.

the fact we have the offer to be saved eternally is by grace

the fact we have the ability to be gods child is by grace.

Its not a covering, It is a status.

We are saved by grace.. Its a gift. that gift can not be earned, since it can not be earned, it can not be lost.

Hi EG.
Good to see you here. This is least/ gardenias!

Reactions: Eternally Grateful

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
GRACE ... is more than unmerited favor!
oky, who gets to draw the first straw?