Grace is NOT unmerited favor!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What definition of grace to you live by?

• Unmerited favor that covers up sin so God can't see it.

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • The power of God to partake of the divine nature?

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • Other

Votes: 10 47.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I grew up in the Church; however I wasn't saved for 30 years! And I did a lot of good, but in my own power.

I can relate to that in this way. I did good out of the good nature that God gave me. But I was so ignorant of our call to be "witnesses." I actually thought everybody was a Christian when I was a kid! ;) I feel terrible that for nearly 17 years I was raised without any sense that we should witness to a lost world. I didn't even recognize that it was lost. But then again, I was a child for most of those years, and began to realize how bad the world was, and how bad I was, when I got into adolescence!

Reactions: CharismaticLady

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay, so if a Christian say, stubs their toe and a curse word comes out...veniel? Also, if a person denies doing really horrid stuff to you, and is avoiding you...can't forgive them face to face, nor can we forgive them if they do not own up to what they have done...I'm speaking of "christians".
Yeah, we can forgive without them being present and I have but, I want nothing to do with these people ever again and I sure hope that is not sin!

If I remember correctly from being raised Catholic...mortal sins are like, murder, blasphemy, and other violence towards another person. Are there other examples of Mortal sins?

The difference between sins, trans. tress. is what (IMO) need to be explained better.
Oh yes, what about those flitting thoughts that are not always "good" ones and you don't know where they come from cause you would never do or say anything like that thought ?

I'm really trying to understand it all because, I do NOT WANT to sin, ever.
Thank you for the insight, I do understand better where you are coming from.
God Bless
God isn't keeping score. He want's us to give him our hearts, and it looks like you already have.

Reactions: Nancy

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can relate to that in this way. I did good out of the good nature that God gave me. But I was so ignorant of our call to be "witnesses." I actually thought everybody was a Christian when I was a kid! ;) I feel terrible that for nearly 17 years I was raised without any sense that we should witness to a lost world. I didn't even recognize that it was lost. But then again, I was a child for most of those years, and began to realize how bad the world was, and how bad I was, when I got into adolescence!
I wish I could witness to the lost. It's so hard.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay, so if a Christian say, stubs their toe and a curse word comes out...veniel? Also, if a person denies doing really horrid stuff to you, and is avoiding you...can't forgive them face to face, nor can we forgive them if they do not own up to what they have done...I'm speaking of "christians".
Yeah, we can forgive without them being present and I have but, I want nothing to do with these people ever again and I sure hope that is not sin!

Yes, those are trespasses. Just forgive them and you are free. Imagine them just being afraid to tell the truth, and not that they don't know the truth. And I've been in the same situation in a Bible study among Christians that believed their past, present and future sins are automatically forgiven as long as they believed in Jesus. I'm a teacher so I didn't keep my mouth shut and tried to share the difference between sins unto death, and sins not unto death, and in front of everyone, the leader yelled at me, that they didn't want to hear what I had to say anymore, that I had said enough. He thought I was condemning them, as many do on here, and teaching a form of sinlessness that was unattainable. What hurt the most was not one person there stopped him to tell him what I really meant. I didn't say a word, but I never went back. You can forgive someone for their ignorance, but it doesn't mean you have to stay around and get punched. Jesus said to brush the dust off your feet and go on your way.

What I teach is not anything I learned in someone else's teaching. I believe it was the original teaching of the apostles, but when the outpouring of the Spirit seemed to dry up during the long dry summer, leaving behind the early rain of the Spirit, and the church became worldly, thinking in more human reasoning, the reasoning of past, present and future sins being forgiven, put the Church into teaching defeatism, instead of victory - we will always sin, so just believe and they are covered so the Father doesn't see them. Anyway, one of the old ladies at the Bible study called me and told me she was getting booklets from a Church in Texas and he taught the same thing I did! She said she didn't understand his teaching any better than she understood mine. LOL Anyway, I sent for them, and sure enough we are alike. He also knew that he was only to teach what the Father taught him no matter how new it seemed to his congregation. He wasn't to teach anything He hadn't taught him directly. We are the same in that command as well. It is called Calvary Outreach Ministries. cochurch.org. All their books are free, or you can order an e-book. I always get the paper booklet, because I read in bed, not in my office. I sure wish I could talk to LeRoy or Keith Surface (brothers) because we could learn from each other. I've learned from them, and I know some things God has taught me that they haven't gotten yet. It was a lonely ride for me until I learned about them.

If I remember correctly from being raised Catholic...mortal sins are like, murder, blasphemy, and other violence towards another person. Are there other examples of Mortal sins?

Yes, they are the moral laws: murder, stealing, perjury, adultery and other sexual sins (homosexuality, bestiality, pedophilia, fornication)

The difference between sins, trans. tress. is what (IMO) need to be explained better.
Oh yes, what about those flitting thoughts that are not always "good" ones and you don't know where they come from cause you would never do or say anything like that thought ?

Those thought are from demons - like all temptation. They are not yours, so don't own them. And don't allow yourself to dwell on them to take action on them and let them become sin. James 1:14-15. James also said to resist the devil and he will flee before you. When I was married and being abused, and I saw a nice man treating his wife with respect, I wouldn't ponder on it, I would shake my head physically real hard - rattle my brains - and walk away and the image would be gone.

Leviticus 5:15 “If a person commits a trespass, and sins unintentionally..."

That is one form of trespass. Number 15:22 is the beginning verse of a sacrifice for unintentional sins. But down at verse 36 was the end of a passage where someone broke one of the Ten commandments. There was NO sacrifice for it, they killed him. They are examples of sins not unto death, and sins unto death of 1 John 5:16-17.

A trespass/venial sin can also been done intentionally, it is not just unknown to you. But as long as you keep up your forgiving others, they are cleansed. Never allow unforgiveness to form a root of bitterness, or you're in real trouble. That is hate, akin to murder! You'll have to repent and ask Jesus to renew a right spirit within you. Isa. 51:10. That chapter is what I prayed the night I was filled with the Spirit. Wow, what a night! (Isn't that a song???)

Trespasses are also called debts. That doesn't just mean money, though Jesus made analogies using money.

Matthew 5:
21 “You have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not murder, and whoever murders will be in danger of the judgment.’ 22 But I say to you that whoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment. And whoever says to his brother, ‘Raca!’ shall be in danger of the council. But whoever says, ‘You fool!’ shall be in danger of hell fire. 23 Therefore if you bring your gift to the altar, and there remember that your brother has something against you, 24 leave your gift there before the altar, and go your way. First be reconciled to your brother, and then come and offer your gift. 25 Agree with your adversary quickly, while you are on the way with him, lest your adversary deliver you to the judge, the judge hand you over to the officer, and you be thrown into prison. 26 Assuredly, I say to you, you will by no means get out of there till you have paid the last penny.

I take that to mean, if you know you've hurt someone's feelings, go to them and make it right. And if they've hurt you, forgive them. God's ultimate goal is reconciliation, but if that isn't possible, forgive from afar.

I'm really trying to understand it all because, I do NOT WANT to sin, ever.
Thank you for the insight, I do understand better where you are coming from.
God Bless

Good, you're a first!!! I'm like you. I stay away from sin too.

Last edited:

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, I agree. The attitude you describe is twisted. The fact that a doctrine can be misunderstood and misapplied, however, does not mean the doctrine is false.

It happens that if God, by his grace, is saving someone, God will grace that individual with a desire to avoid sin and mourn sinfulness. I would say the person you describe has NOT been graced by God.

I would agree, they haven't. But the Bible does talk about doctrines of demons, and those with itching ears choose those doctrines.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Even what we can do with the new nature is not capable of earning salvation for us.

I agree.

We actually acquire the new nature when we receive Christ by faith (Galatians 3:14).

I agree.

Good works don't play any role in our salvation except that they are the result of real salvation.

As I said, your whole problem with this is that you took the word I used--"merit"--out of context. And I do recognize that this can be misconstrued, although it was *not* my intention to mislead you. I used "merit" not in the sense of self-justification, but rather, as in meeting the qualification in order to get something.

We meet the qualification for Salvation when we make the choice to embrace Jesus as the exclusive source of our salvation. It is our *choice* that qualifies us for the gift of Jesus in saving us! That is the "good work" that we do to get saved, and yes, it is indeed a "good choice."

John 6.29 Jesus answered, “The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent.”

1 John 3.23 And this is his command: to believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and to love one another as he commanded us.

I, for one, do not choose to use words that would miscommunicate and thereby cause a language divide. I abide by the form of sound words (2 Timothy 1:13 (kjv)) so that there is no miscommunication that would create a divide such as that. So then, if you decide that you want to communicate properly in such as fashion as to not miscommunicate, I think that there will be no miscommunication.

It isn't that simple. For example, I married an English woman. I thought that because we speak the same language the communication would go well, once I got past the accent. But I discovered that there are many words that are different, which caused miscommunication on many occasions. You're over-valuing yourself and your ability to communicate. I don't believe you *always* choose the right words, and *always* succeed in communicating! And I think you're judging me as if I willfully choose to mislead people by choosing controversial words. I may not always choose my words wisely, but then again, I don't claim to be perfect like you! ;)

They can...but whatever good they do is tainted by selfishness and pride.

Isa 64:6, But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.

The believer, on the other hand, has a righteousness that is fine linen, clean and white.

Rev 19:8, And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints.

Isa 64.6 is often misinterpreted, in my view. It is talking about the *tainting* of our righteousness by turning from that righteousness into sin! It is *not* saying that the saints have no righteousness, nor that unbelievers have no good works! ;)

Eze 3.20 “Again, when a righteous person turns from their righteousness and does evil, and I put a stumbling block before them, they will die.... The righteous things that person did will not be remembered, and I will hold you accountable for their blood."

What happens is that the Holy Spirit quickens the man so that he is able to make a decision for Christ. This is not becoming born again, but it is being partially woken up so that the person has a decision to make; either to rise out of sleep completely or to go back to sleep. And I am referring to sleep here as spiritual death.

That's true of all men on the face of the earth! God speaks into the conscience of every man! When God's word permeates and infiltrates the souls of men, they are certainly able, by the help of God's Spirit, to do what God is telling them to do!

Men do not even have to *know God* to have a conscience, and to have God speak into their soul! They were made in the image of God so that they *can* obey God, whether they know Him or not, whether they know Christ or not.

The big thing is that men know salvation comes through a new nature, and not just by doing the right thing. We have to embrace the life of Christ, and not just some of the works of Christ.

No one can come to Christ except the heavenly Father draws him (John 6:44, John 6:65).

That goes without saying.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Randy Kluth,

I would say to you that salvation has nothing to do with works, except that works are the result of being truly born again.

But they have nothing to do with the thing that actually saves us; which is faith alone in Jesus Christ alone.

Please consult my other posts. The good works we can do, if we are unbelievers, is respond to God's word in our conscience, and choose to believe in the Son of God--in his life and in his works both.

When we receive the new nature Christ has to give us then we will do the works of Christ all the time, which is Salvation.

If you don't believe that faith is exercised by the unbeliever, how then can they be saved by faith? But if the unbeliever can indeed exercise faith, then they can indeed do a "good work."

This good work is the choice to embrace Christ as the source of their Salvation. This is the role "good works" may play a role in our Salvation. It does not earn us Salvation, but it "merits" us Salvation in the sense that it *qualifies us for Salvation.*

You do not qualify for Salvation as an unbeliever unless you meet the conditions for receiving it. And you must *choose* to receive it, exchanging your life for Christ's life. This is indeed called a "work" in the Scriptures. And undoubtedly it *is* a "good work."

So take your concerns up with Jesus, who said it!

John 6.29 Jesus answered, “The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent.”

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is nonsense. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

No Person comes to Christ thinking about how to be a disciple. They come to Christ needing to be saved, Randy.

So, you put the cart ahead of the horse, which is the issue with what you are saying.

Since you chose not to quote me, then I can't note what you're even referring to? So perhaps you were misrepresenting something I said?

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You do witness to the lost, Cady. When I recommitted my life to Christ, and finally understood what a "full commitment" was, I got frustrated. It was in the midst of the Jesus People movement--early 70s. Friends around me were witnessing left and right, and people were getting saved with great enthusiasm and excitement.

But everytime I tried to witness to someone, a friend got in between me and the person I was witnessing to, and took over. It happened every time.

I eventually realized that we have different kinds of calls to witness. A major way I've witnessed in my life is simply by taking a strong stand, turning completely away from sin and from corruption of all kinds. I thought it wasn't an effective way of bringing people to Christ.

But many years later I realized that people really had taken notice. They knew I'd changed way back when, and it impacted their lives. I think it may have made them better people. Even if they didn't find Christ themselves, I think they may have become better people. And I think some people eventually did become Christians.

We just have different callings. You obviously show your calling in your videos--it may not be the full extent of your ministry, but it clearly shows how you witness to the truth. And it is the truth that lodges itself into people's hearts, such that they can't remove it.

This truth becomes a heavy burden in people that they will have to deal with sooner or later. It will lead to judgment for some, to rid the world of abuses. Or, it will lead some to Christ, who will contribute to God's plan for the world.

You witness simply by your choice to live in Christ every day. If you want to be an evangelist, you may miss your calling to be a witness in the way God made you to be!

Reactions: CadyandZoe

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I quoted you the first time, and have responded already, 2x.
Thx.
<B><

Okay, I see that now. Thanks for going the extra mile.

I said, ""So *in effect* we are choosing to do good works all the time in order to qualify for Salvation.!"

I did *not* say unbelievers are here contemplating discipleship--that's a little confusing to me. Let's start over and say that unbelievers are here contemplating giving up their sinful lifestyle for a Christian life. That is a choice for the *good works* of Christ, and for the actual *lifestyle of Christ.* It is, as such, a choice for not just "good works," but also for a *life* of "good works!"

This is not to be confused with choosing to do good works alone, or thinking that choosing to do good works is sufficient for Salvation! Rather, it is choosing good works that will ensure our life is changed into a life that does good works. It is choosing a life of good works that will confirm our Salvation. When we choose a *life* of good works, we are choosing new nature. And it is our choice for a new nature from Christ that saves us.

Last edited:

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
I did *not* say unbelievers are here contemplating discipleship--that's a little confusing to me. Let's start over and say that unbelievers are here contemplating giving up their sinful lifestyle for a Christian life. That is a choice for the *good works* of Christ, and for the actual *lifestyle of Christ.* It is, as such, a choice for not just "good works," but also for a *life* of "good works!"

A lost person, does not go to the Cross contemplating how they will behave later.
So, as i said, this is the 3rd time i tell you that your idea of "well, after im saved i'll ......" is not what a person is thinking about when they are being convicted of sin by the Holy Spirit and are about to receive Christ as Savior.
After they are saved? Sure, people start to engage the subsequent walk, but they are not thinking about the walk on the way TO the Cross.
As i said.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A lost person, does not go to the Cross contemplating how they will behave later.
So, as i said, this is the 3rd time i tell you that your idea of "well, after im saved i'll ......" is not what a person is thinking about when they are being convicted of sin by the Holy Spirit and are about to receive Christ as Savior.
After they are saved? Sure, people start to engage the subsequent walk, but they are not thinking about the walk on the way TO the Cross.
As i said.

I haven't been exactly there myself, but we're all pretty much the same, having a carnal nature. Even when we're born again, we're still saddled with the "sin nature." So I can easily contemplate the sinner considering becoming a Christian. Obviously, many do. I have therefore no clue what you're trying to prove?

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You do witness to the lost, Cady. When I recommitted my life to Christ, and finally understood what a "full commitment" was, I got frustrated. It was in the midst of the Jesus People movement--early 70s. Friends around me were witnessing left and right, and people were getting saved with great enthusiasm and excitement.

But everytime I tried to witness to someone, a friend got in between me and the person I was witnessing to, and took over. It happened every time.

I eventually realized that we have different kinds of calls to witness. A major way I've witnessed in my life is simply by taking a strong stand, turning completely away from sin and from corruption of all kinds. I thought it wasn't an effective way of bringing people to Christ.

But many years later I realized that people really had taken notice. They knew I'd changed way back when, and it impacted their lives. I think it may have made them better people. Even if they didn't find Christ themselves, I think they may have become better people. And I think some people eventually did become Christians.

We just have different callings. You obviously show your calling in your videos--it may not be the full extent of your ministry, but it clearly shows how you witness to the truth. And it is the truth that lodges itself into people's hearts, such that they can't remove it.

This truth becomes a heavy burden in people that they will have to deal with sooner or later. It will lead to judgment for some, to rid the world of abuses. Or, it will lead some to Christ, who will contribute to God's plan for the world.

You witness simply by your choice to live in Christ every day. If you want to be an evangelist, you may miss your calling to be a witness in the way God made you to be!
I pray that you are correct. I pray everyday that someone will watch one of my videos and repent and change. Or that someone might see a particular passage in a new light, giving them a better understanding.
Thanks for the encouragement and I am praying that the Lord will bless you and your wife today.

Reactions: Randy Kluth

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would agree, they haven't. But the Bible does talk about doctrines of demons, and those with itching ears choose those doctrines.
Unfortunately you are correct. And I have seen it myself. May the Lord bless you today. May he continue to give you insight as you continue in your studies.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I pray that you are correct. I pray everyday that someone will watch one of my videos and repent and change. Or that someone might see a particular passage in a new light, giving them a better understanding.
Thanks for the encouragement and I am praying that the Lord will bless you and your wife today.

Cady, I think you have a powerful witness to the truth of Christ's Salvation. Salvation itself is the domain of God. Only He can get inside a person's heart, and convict their conscience of the truth. But you *know* when you're communicating to someone. It just seems to be working.

Your videos do work. I love them! If I love them, I know others do, as well. Even if people disagree, your style communicates Christ to me. You won't be perfect, but you don't have to be.

You're sincerity shows. You don't have to work at it. It just follows you as you walk in Christ.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, those are trespasses. Just forgive them and you are free. Imagine them just being afraid to tell the truth, and not that they don't know the truth. And I've been in the same situation in a Bible study among Christians that believed their past, present and future sins are automatically forgiven as long as they believed in Jesus. I'm a teacher so I didn't keep my mouth shut and tried to share the difference between sins unto death, and sins not unto death, and in front of everyone, the leader yelled at me, that they didn't want to hear what I had to say anymore, that I had said enough. He thought I was condemning them, as many do on here, and teaching a form of sinlessness that was unattainable. What hurt the most was not one person there stopped him to tell him what I really meant. I didn't say a word, but I never went back. You can forgive someone for their ignorance, but it doesn't mean you have to stay around and get punched. Jesus said to brush the dust off your feet and go on your way.

What I teach is not anything I learned in someone else's teaching. I believe it was the original teaching of the apostles, but when the outpouring of the Spirit seemed to dry up during the long dry summer, leaving behind the early rain of the Spirit, and the church became worldly, thinking in more human reasoning, the reasoning of past, present and future sins being forgiven, put the Church into teaching defeatism, instead of victory - we will always sin, so just believe and they are covered so the Father doesn't see them. Anyway, one of the old ladies at the Bible study called me and told me she was getting booklets from a Church in Texas and he taught the same thing I did! She said she didn't understand his teaching any better than she understood mine. LOL Anyway, I sent for them, and sure enough we are alike. He also knew that he was only to teach what the Father taught him no matter how new it seemed to his congregation. He wasn't to teach anything He hadn't taught him directly. We are the same in that command as well. It is called Calvary Outreach Ministries. cochurch.org. All their books are free, or you can order an e-book. I always get the paper booklet, because I read in bed, not in my office. I sure wish I could talk to LeRoy or Keith Surface (brothers) because we could learn from each other. I've learned from them, and I know some things God has taught me that they haven't gotten yet. It was a lonely ride for me until I learned about them.

Yes, they are the moral laws: murder, stealing, perjury, adultery and other sexual sins (homosexuality, bestiality, pedophilia, fornication)

Those thought are from demons - like all temptation. They are not yours, so don't own them. And don't allow yourself to dwell on them to take action on them and let them become sin. James 1:14-15. James also said to resist the devil and he will flee before you. When I was married and being abused, and I saw a nice man treating his wife with respect, I wouldn't ponder on it, I would shake my head physically real hard - rattle my brains - and walk away and the image would be gone.

Leviticus 5:15 “If a person commits a trespass, and sins unintentionally..."

That is one form of trespass. Number 15:22 is the beginning verse of a sacrifice for unintentional sins. But down at verse 36 was the end of a passage where someone broke one of the Ten commandments. There was NO sacrifice for it, they killed him. They are examples of sins not unto death, and sins unto death of 1 John 5:16-17.

A trespass/venial sin can also been done intentionally, it is not just unknown to you. But as long as you keep up your forgiving others, they are cleansed. Never allow unforgiveness to form a root of bitterness, or you're in real trouble. That is hate, akin to murder! You'll have to repent and ask Jesus to renew a right spirit within you. Isa. 51:10. That chapter is what I prayed the night I was filled with the Spirit. Wow, what a night! (Isn't that a song???)

Trespasses are also called debts. That doesn't just mean money, though Jesus made analogies using money.

Matthew 5:
21 “You have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not murder, and whoever murders will be in danger of the judgment.’ 22 But I say to you that whoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment. And whoever says to his brother, ‘Raca!’ shall be in danger of the council. But whoever says, ‘You fool!’ shall be in danger of hell fire. 23 Therefore if you bring your gift to the altar, and there remember that your brother has something against you, 24 leave your gift there before the altar, and go your way. First be reconciled to your brother, and then come and offer your gift. 25 Agree with your adversary quickly, while you are on the way with him, lest your adversary deliver you to the judge, the judge hand you over to the officer, and you be thrown into prison. 26 Assuredly, I say to you, you will by no means get out of there till you have paid the last penny.

I take that to mean, if you know you've hurt someone's feelings, go to them and make it right. And if they've hurt you, forgive them. God's ultimate goal is reconciliation, but if that isn't possible, forgive from afar.

Good, you're a first!!! I'm like you. I stay away from sin too.

Jesus sure did raise the bar on that mount, didn't He? So, the bible study shut you down, and no brother or sister to stand up for your right to speak. Yes, shake the dust off.
It's pretty relieving to know those thoughts that can flit are not mine...I did wonder if Satan was the culprit but wasn't sure. And...I DO slam them down instantly but, hate the feeling left behind.

When I go onto the site you mentioned, this is what I get:

"This server could not prove that it is cochurch.org.; its security certificate is from *.hawkhost.com. This may be caused by a misconfiguration or an attacker
intercepting your connection."

I'd like to check out their books...I'll go on Amazon and see what they have, any suggestions? :)

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Hi CadyandZoe,
It is very hard to approach the lost, and can turn them even further away. I used to hand out tracks but, that is a total waste as they end up littering the ground. Here's a saying of St. Francis of Assisi, and no...not Catholic.
"Preach Jesus, and if necessary use words." Witness for Christ each day, and if necessary use words."
I love this saying!

Then we have: "But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts, and always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear;"
1 Peter 3:15

When re-reading the popular above verse, I never noticed the part where the verse says to give a reason to those who ASK us for the reason for our hope. So, I guess it is simply how we live and respond to life :)

Do you belong to a Church that does the track thing?

Reactions: CadyandZoe

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul isn't talking about sin here. He is talking about being "in the flesh", which is a technical term he uses to indicate our humanity. In this context, he is talking about his life as a Jewish man, attempting to please God through devotion and diligent adherence to his religion. He makes a distinction between his former religious life and his new life in Christ, using the law about marriage as an analogy. He was "married" to the law as a means to find justification with God, but when the law died (as the means to justification), he was free to marry another, (faith in Jesus Christ as the means to justification.)

Paul is saying in Romans 7:5 that the motions of sins, which were by the law, in the past, worked in his members to bring forth fruit unto death.

This is all in past tense, the motions of sins worked in him before, but not at the time that he is writing this epistle.

Now that he is no longer married to the law, the motions of sins don't any longer work in him to bring forth fruit unto death.

Romans 7:8 (kjv) shows us how the law brings about all manner of concupiscence. Without the law, the element of sin is rendered dead (same verse).

This translates into victory over practical sin in the believer's life; who has been set free from the law.

Rom 7:8, But sin, taking occasion by the commandment, wrought in me all manner of concupiscence. For without the law sin was dead.

We can't become a different creature

See 2 Corinthians 5:17 (kjv).

2Co 5:17, Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

We can stop being sinners by practice but we can't stop being sinners by nature.

I would tend to agree to a certain extent. However, I would also encourage you to look at and think about what it says in Ephesians 2:3 (kjv).

Eph 2:3, Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.

You are witnessing to the lost right here on these boards. Don't think that you have to go out on the streets and preach in order to be ministering to the lost, my friend.

That's true of all men on the face of the earth! God speaks into the conscience of every man! When God's word permeates and infiltrates the souls of men, they are certainly able, by the help of God's Spirit, to do what God is telling them to do!

That goes without saying.

What this means is that we are not regenerated by a decision that is made by the old man.

(you may have to click on the top right hand corner of the quotes to find the history of what I am responding to).

When we receive the new nature Christ has to give us then we will do the works of Christ all the time, which is Salvation.

However, receiving Christ means obtaining the love of the Lord (Romans 5:5); and it is by this love that we begin to do the works of Christ. It is not that we are saved by the good works that we will be doing or even saved by the decision to begin walking in them. We are forgiven through faith in the blood of Jesus and by that alone.

We begin to do works of righteousness out of thankfulness for the salvation that He has given us; but we don't receive that salvation by doing those works of righteousness; neither by making a commitment to do them. It is by faith in Christ and His Cross alone that we are saved.

If you don't believe that faith is exercised by the unbeliever, how then can they be saved by faith?

The heavenly Father draws them, giving them a measure of faith that they can lay hold of (see Romans 10:17) in order to make a decision for Christ; after which they will be given a full measure of faith that will save them.

This good work is the choice to embrace Christ as the source of their Salvation. This is the role "good works" may play a role in our Salvation. It does not earn us Salvation, but it "merits" us Salvation in the sense that it *qualifies us for Salvation.*

Salvation is not of works, lest any man should boast (Ephesians 2:8-9, Titus 3:5, Romans 4:5-6).

You do not qualify for Salvation as an unbeliever unless you meet the conditions for receiving it. And you must *choose* to receive it, exchanging your life for Christ's life. This is indeed called a "work" in the Scriptures. And undoubtedly it *is* a "good work."

So take your concerns up with Jesus, who said it!

This scripture is to say that, if you are going to insist that salvation is by works, the only "work" that will save you is simple faith in Jesus Christ. But that salvation is not of works is clear from such passages as Ephesians 2:8-9, Titus 3:4-7, and Romans 4:1-8.

That's nice that they became better people...however if they didn't actually get saved I would say that there is no eternal dividends...and no reward in heaven for you. Your witnessing, if all it did was make better people out of your converts, was nothing but wood, hay, and stubble.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.