Grace what is it.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

lawrance

Mar 30, 2011
One on the forum keeps rattling on about a period of grace that starts then finishes. and to me this is total hog wash.
I see that some have a different points of view of what they think Grace is.
One point i have seen said is that grace is a undeserved favour and all you do is joyfully receive it and believe Jesus died for you. and that's it you are saved end of story. And some i have talked to say from then on you can just run around and do what ever you want and you are saved.
One on the forum claims to of once been a Catholic but to me and i am not a RC but i find his perceptions as of being having a very poor Catholic understanding.

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
One on the forum keeps rattling on about a period of grace that starts then finishes. and to me this is total hog wash.
I see that some have a different points of view of what they think Grace is.
One point i have seen said is that grace is a undeserved favour and all you do is joyfully receive it and believe Jesus died for you. and that's it you are saved end of story. And some i have talked to say from then on you can just run around and do what ever you want and you are saved.
One on the forum claims to of once been a Catholic but to me and i am not a RC but i find his perceptions as of being having a very poor Catholic understanding.

Grace, an free gift to those undeserving...more, ill deserving, people. Anyone who receives this gift and then does not try to live up to it, is really just disrespecting that gift. I do not believe salvation can be lost...that would imply a weakness on Christ's part...that He would let us fall away from Him. But anyone who has had their heart regenerated can do nothing other that to strive to live a Christ would have them.
That's what I reckon!!

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
So then, some of you are saying that we can murder, rape, blaspheme, lie, commit adultery, etc. and still be saved. Nah! That's doctrines of demons.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The catholic idea is that all relationships require the participation of at least two people, Marriage is a good example of this - if one person quits, the whole relationship folds whether the people stay married or not. The same is true with our relationship with Christ.....we have to be actively practicing our sanctification by picking up our cross and loving others. If we stop practicing, our fruit withers on the vine.....Christ will give us all we need to transform our hearts, but if we do not practice the skills He provides, we will stop participating in the relationship. Instead of living through our redeemed True Selves, we will fall back into old habits and begin relying once more on our false selves - our egos. If we die living in our false selves, Christ will not recognize us because He knows our True Selves.

Christ provides everything for our salvation, all we have to do is practice it.

Living through our true selves is what Catholics call being in God's grace. I think the word grace is a lot bigger than that narrow definition. Luke gives a great definition of Grace:

Acts 17:28
‘For in him we live and move and have our being.’ As some of your own poets have said, ‘We are his offspring.’

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
So then, some of you are saying that we can murder, rape, blaspheme, lie, commit adultery, etc. and still be saved. Nah! That's doctrines of demons.

:blink:
Okay...when have we (at least me) EVER said that those behaviours were acceptable???
If anyone who claims to be a Christian commits any of these behaviours, then their claim is false...they are not truly born again.
My point is, even being justified, we are not perfect. We shall be one day, when Christ returns, but not until then. But until that day our regenerated hearts must insist upon living a life aimed at bringing us closer to Christ.

You know Ducky, I can't help but get the feeling that since I disagreed with you over a few things (secondary issues at that) that you have taken a disliking to me. In the last day, you jumped on twice after something I've posted and claimed the 'idea' to be demoniacally inspired. You managed to completely miss my point both times, just assuming my meaning. Please don't do that...if you think what I'm saying is so bad, how about confirming my so called heresy before you label me damned? I'm not, you know, damned. The very fact that I have the Holy Spirit guiding me and helping me grow every day is proof enough of that. I don't claim to be perfect, my understanding of scripture is always growing and being refined by study and prayer, by the Spirit's guiding. I truly don't understand why you would feel the need to pull down and accuse someone who believes and loves Jesus as Lord and Saviour. I'm not letting your apparent animosity hurt me, I'm safe enough in Christ's love, but it does make me wonder several things about you....

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010

-- Ducky you need to switch to Decaf. Rach never even implied such a thing.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
:blink:
Okay...when have we (at least me) EVER said that those behaviours were acceptable???
Actually I wasn't referring to you. Surely you have noticed some here who think a sinful life is normal for 'Christians'?
If anyone who claims to be a Christian commits any of these behaviours, then their claim is false...they are not truly born again.
I realize that a Christian can sin, but not live a sinful life. I guess we agree?
You know Ducky, I can't help but get the feeling that since I disagreed with you over a few things (secondary issues at that) that you have taken a disliking to me. In the last day, you jumped on twice after something I've posted and claimed the 'idea' to be demoniacally inspired. You managed to completely miss my point both times, just assuming my meaning. Please don't do that...if you think what I'm saying is so bad, how about confirming my so called heresy before you label me damned? I'm not, you know, damned. The very fact that I have the Holy Spirit guiding me and helping me grow every day is proof enough of that. I don't claim to be perfect, my understanding of scripture is always growing and being refined by study and prayer, by the Spirit's guiding. I truly don't understand why you would feel the need to pull down and accuse someone who believes and loves Jesus as Lord and Saviour. I'm not letting your apparent animosity hurt me, I'm safe enough in Christ's love, but it does make me wonder several things about you....
I don't recall what you are saying. A few quotes of what I said would be helpful. But you are wrong in saying I don't like you. Churches are filled with true Christians who are not aware of God's MANY promises to bless and protect. Satan has stolen God's blessings from them. That doesn't mean they aren't Christians. God's promises of forgiveness and salvation are no truer than God's promises of blessing and protection for those who believe them. God doesn't make false promises.

-- Ducky you need to switch to Decaf. Rach never even implied such a thing.
Guess you missed his comment:

"I do not believe salvation can be lost...that would imply a weakness on Christ's part...that He would let us fall away from Him."

If such is the case then we can do ANYTHING and not be lost. But such is not the case.

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
lol Do you REALLY think Rach was saying that those who gave their lives to Christ and then Murder or Rape and do not repent are still saved?

Forget the Decaf. Give up coffee altogether.

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia

Actually I wasn't referring to you. Surely you have noticed some here who think a sinful life is normal for 'Christians'?

I realize that a Christian can sin, but not live a sinful life. I guess we agree?

Well, yes, there is always a quota of oddballs on every forum. As a general rule I think it's just bad communication. I think you'd find that most Christians here believe that repentance is necessary for salvation. The confusion seems to come in things like "intentional sin" and "unintentional sin", what is or is not permitted etc etc. It's pretty darn easy for a Christian to say that they won't sin...as in murder or rape etc...those are huge things and easy for a Christian to avoid. And most Christians admit to the 'unintentional' thoughts that pop into their head and heart...they come from a sin nature, and while we work against them, we all have them. The muddy ground, I think, comes from the things that we perhaps know are sin, but still justify anyway....like knowing we should reach out to a neighbour, but not really wanting to, so we tell ourselves that the neighbour just wants to be left alone, or something. There are a million 'middle ground' issues like this....and I think that's where all the confusion on this board comes from. In a large part, it comes down to every individual, and what God is or is not calling them to do. So I may say the thing with the neighbour was indeed a sin for me, but for you, God may have been telling you that the neighbour would react negatively to your interaction, and to give it a while. You see? I don't think everything can apply to everyone. Does that make sense? If I had accused you of the same sin as me, I may have been completely wrong.

I don't recall what you are saying. A few quotes of what I said would be helpful. But you are wrong in saying I don't like you. Churches are filled with true Christians who are not aware of God's MANY promises to bless and protect. Satan has stolen God's blessings from them. That doesn't mean they aren't Christians. God's promises of forgiveness and salvation are no truer than God's promises of blessing and protection for those who believe them. God doesn't make false promises.

Look, I'm not going to go back and get quotes, that's just gonna put this into a 'he said, she said' squabble, and I really don't want that with you Ducky. If you are not 'gunning for me' that's great! I suppose what I would ask of you is that you maybe tone back on the 'doctrine of demons' and 'Judgement Day is gonna go bad for you' comments. As you say, just because we don't agree, doesn't mean I am not saved. I would sorta think that those ^^ comments would be better for the unsaved!
I know you are standing firm in what you know as truth, and to a certain point I respect you for that...it is, after all what we must all do. All I'm trying to say here is this: I am not going to turn from what I perceive as truth just because Ducky is saying so. I wouldn't expect you would change your thoughts just cause I say so...that would be following man, not God. All we can do is reason and persuade others, using common sense and above all, scripture. The problem we have, is that I do not see scripture supporting your ideas. I do not deny the scriptures you put forth, but my hermeneutics, and therefore exegesis are different. I see God's promises as true, of course I do, I know He loves us and wants the best for us. But I see it important to marry those scriptures with the ones that clearly tell us that we will have hardship in our lives. I mean, seriously, just do a google search for what is happening in Somalia at the moment...how many Christians do you think are in terrible pain there? God loves us, He wants what's best for us, but He doesn't always step in. That is perfectly clear in scripture...all we need do is look at the Prophets, the Disciples...Jesus Himself. So, yeah, very different views. But that doesn't mean I'm wrong...it doesn't mean you're wrong either. My hope is that from here on we can discuss our differences without any demonic references...always coming from the premise that we are both saved!

Guess you missed his comment:

"I do not believe salvation can be lost...that would imply a weakness on Christ's part...that He would let us fall away from Him."

If such is the case then we can do ANYTHING and not be lost. But such is not the case.

Ahem....the 'his' is actually a 'her'!!
So....you're an Armenian then??
And as Foreigner pointed out...I was not pointing out that once saved we may act as sinfully as we want. I was, of course, working from the idea that anyone truly saved now has the HS residing within them, changing them and making them new. I really doubt that anyone who has been born again is going to go out and rape or murder...it would be completely contrary to their new nature.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
lol Do you REALLY think Rach was saying that those who gave their lives to Christ and then Murder or Rape and do not repent are still saved?

Forget the Decaf. Give up coffee altogether.
So which is it? Salvation either can or cannot be lost. Hint: Those who believe that salvation can't be lost are deceived.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
Look, I'm not going to go back and get quotes, that's just gonna put this into a 'he said, she said' squabble, and I really don't want that with you Ducky. If you are not 'gunning for me' that's great! I suppose what I would ask of you is that you maybe tone back on the 'doctrine of demons' and 'Judgement Day is gonna go bad for you' comments. As you say, just because we don't agree, doesn't mean I am not saved. I would sorta think that those ^^ comments would be better for the unsaved!
If you really don't wanna quote what I said then you should stop with the accusations.
But I see it important to marry those scriptures with the ones that clearly tell us that we will have hardship in our lives. I mean, seriously, just do a google search for what is happening in Somalia at the moment...how many Christians do you think are in terrible pain there? God loves us, He wants what's best for us, but He doesn't always step in. That is perfectly clear in scripture...all we need do is look at the Prophets, the Disciples...Jesus Himself. So, yeah, very different views. But that doesn't mean I'm wrong...it doesn't mean you're wrong either. My hope is that from here on we can discuss our differences without any demonic references...always coming from the premise that we are both saved!
You are judging God by the suffering of people who probably don't believe or even know about His promises. That's a BIG NO NO.

Psalms 34:19 (ESV)
19 Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the LORD delivers him out of them all.

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia

If you really don't wanna quote what I said then you should stop with the accusations.

Look, I didn't want to go there, but as you are making me seem like a crazy finger pointer with zero basis, I will reply with a few things you've said to me.

I'm sorry that you are rejecting one of the main Biblical doctrines. I must ask, do you believe in the Genesis Flood where Jesus drowned everyone on Earth but 8?
Those who don't fear God do not receive wisdom from Him.

Then your Bible is trash.

It is truly sad to see those who accuse God of being unfaithful to His promises. It's the same as calling God a liar

Your opinion is unScriptural.

I find it truly amazing that some who profess to be Christians look for excuses to kill another human. Won't work on Judgment Day

All of these claims bring together a basic picture. Hence, me asking you to please, whenever you are talking to me, start from the basic premise that I too am saved. To be perfectly frank, the above claims seem to be plain...you do not think I am, that my ideas are unbiblical, won't save me come Judgement Day and that my ideas even come from demons. And a lot of the time, you extrapolated something completely different and sinful from what I said...it just isn't true.

You are judging God by the suffering of people who probably don't believe or even know about His promises. That's a BIG NO NO.

So all the Christians around the world now, and who have ever existed and suffered horribly for the faith....they did not know of God's promises and certainly didn't believe in them?
Besides, for me to 'judge God by the suffering of His people' would mean that I assume God causes suffering. Which I don't. Sin, any sin, is due to us, to the fall. Suffering today comes from the sin of others, sin upon the world (natural disasters) and the general wages of that sin on everyone (ultimate sickness and death). God did not WANT this for us, He loves His creation and wants only good for us...I know this. But He does not step in and stop the consequence of every sin every time. Open your eyes Ducky, good Christians, faithful Christians, who know of God's goodness, faith and love, are suffering in a multitude of ways every single day.
If you truly want to say that any 'good and true' Christian, who knows of 'God's promises' will not suffer anything because of a knowledge that God truly wants us to be free of pain, sickness, suffering and death, then you have to completely dismiss the disciples. Every single one of them suffered...horribly for the gospel. Jesus Christ Himself suffered horribly. You cannot say that He didn't know of the Father's promises, that Jesus didn't have enough faith.

Psalms 34:19 (ESV)
19 Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the LORD delivers him out of them all.

[3] Not only that, but we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, [4] and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, [5] and hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.
(Romans 5:3-5 ESV)

[5] This is evidence of the righteous judgment of God, that you may be considered worthy of the kingdom of God, for which you are also suffering—
(2 Thessalonians 1:5 ESV)

[8] Therefore do not be ashamed of the testimony about our Lord, nor of me his prisoner, but share in suffering for the gospel by the power of God,
(2 Timothy 1:8 ESV)

[5] As for you, always be sober-minded, endure suffering, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry.
(2 Timothy 4:5 ESV)

[20] Remember the word that I said to you: ‘A servant is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted me, they will also persecute you. If they kept my word, they will also keep yours.
(John 15:20 ESV)

The Bible does not contradict itself. If you take your verses as absolutely as you do...how do you then interpret all the verses that speak of persecution, suffering, death?

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
All of these claims bring together a basic picture. Hence, me asking you to please, whenever you are talking to me, start from the basic premise that I too am saved. To be perfectly frank, the above claims seem to be plain...you do not think I am, that my ideas are unbiblical, won't save me come Judgement Day and that my ideas even come from demons. And a lot of the time, you extrapolated something completely different and sinful from what I said...it just isn't true.
The problem is that you have taken ALL of these out of context.
So all the Christians around the world now, and who have ever existed and suffered horribly for the faith....they did not know of God's promises and certainly didn't believe in them?
I never said ALL. You are distorting what I said.
Besides, for me to 'judge God by the suffering of His people' would mean that I assume God causes suffering. Which I don't. Sin, any sin, is due to us, to the fall. Suffering today comes from the sin of others, sin upon the world (natural disasters) and the general wages of that sin on everyone (ultimate sickness and death). God did not WANT this for us, He loves His creation and wants only good for us...I know this. But He does not step in and stop the consequence of every sin every time. Open your eyes Ducky, good Christians, faithful Christians, who know of God's goodness, faith and love, are suffering in a multitude of ways every single day.
If God wants "only good" for us then why is the world filled with evil? Why do Christians suffer and die. Answer: UNBELIEF in God's promises. Do you know which promises?
If you truly want to say that any 'good and true' Christian, who knows of 'God's promises' will not suffer anything because of a knowledge that God truly wants us to be free of pain, sickness, suffering and death, then you have to completely dismiss the disciples. Every single one of them suffered...horribly for the gospel. Jesus Christ Himself suffered horribly. You cannot say that He didn't know of the Father's promises, that Jesus didn't have enough faith.
For you to compare all Christians with Jesus and His disciples who wrote the NT is a BIG distortion. There is suffering for Jesus and then there is suffering because of unbelief. They are opposite.
[3] Not only that, but we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, [4] and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, [5] and hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.
(Romans 5:3-5 ESV)

[5] This is evidence of the righteous judgment of God, that you may be considered worthy of the kingdom of God, for which you are also suffering—
(2 Thessalonians 1:5 ESV)

[8] Therefore do not be ashamed of the testimony about our Lord, nor of me his prisoner, but share in suffering for the gospel by the power of God,
(2 Timothy 1:8 ESV)

[5] As for you, always be sober-minded, endure suffering, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry.
(2 Timothy 4:5 ESV)

[20] Remember the word that I said to you: ‘A servant is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted me, they will also persecute you. If they kept my word, they will also keep yours.
(John 15:20 ESV)

The Bible does not contradict itself. If you take your verses as absolutely as you do...how do you then interpret all the verses that speak of persecution, suffering, death?
Again, you are confusing suffering for Jesus with suffering because of unbelief. They are DRASTICALLY different.

Matthew 21:22 (ESV)
22 And whatever you ask in prayer, you will receive, if you have faith.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh no! Not another DuckyBill vortex! Just walk away Rach! Believing that you will break through with logic is only an illusion.....there is a hole in the bucket!

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
Oh no! Not another DuckyBill vortex! Just walk away Rach! Believing that you will break through with logic is only an illusion.....there is a hole in the bucket!
Since the Bible means almost nothing to you Aspen, thank you for not supporting me.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Since the Bible means almost nothing to you Aspen, thank you for not supporting me.

Sorry Ducky....I am immune to your taunts.....I will .....NOT......be!......suuuuuuuuccccccckkkkkkkeeeeeedddddd iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin........................

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
Sorry Ducky....I am immune to your taunts.....I will .....NOT......be!......suuuuuuuuccccccckkkkkkkeeeeeedddddd iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin........................
Just stating the facts. The Bible means almost nothing to you.

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia

The problem is that you have taken ALL of these out of context.

I never said ALL. You are distorting what I said.

If God wants "only good" for us then why is the world filled with evil? Why do Christians suffer and die. Answer: UNBELIEF in God's promises. Do you know which promises?

For you to compare all Christians with Jesus and His disciples who wrote the NT is a BIG distortion. There is suffering for Jesus and then there is suffering because of unbelief. They are opposite.

Again, you are confusing suffering for Jesus with suffering because of unbelief. They are DRASTICALLY different.

Matthew 21:22 (ESV)
22 And whatever you ask in prayer, you will receive, if you have faith.

So, it's okay for you to make assumptions of what I said, but I'm not allowed to point out that you have done exactly the same??

You know what? This is completely pointless. I'm trying to meet you half way, so that any future conversations between us may be cordial, but you seem only intent on making your point. Whatever.

There comes a point where one has to step back from a conversation. I choose to do so now, as continuing is not benefiting me or the furthering of the truth. I wish you well Ducky, and pray that the Holy Spirit may lead you to truth, love and perhaps also some compassion.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
So, it's okay for you to make assumptions of what I said, but I'm not allowed to point out that you have done exactly the same??
The difference is that I provide direct quotes of what you say, in context.
You know what? This is completely pointless. I'm trying to meet you half way, so that any future conversations between us may be cordial, but you seem only intent on making your point. Whatever.

There comes a point where one has to step back from a conversation. I choose to do so now, as continuing is not benefiting me or the furthering of the truth. I wish you well Ducky, and pray that the Holy Spirit may lead you to truth, love and perhaps also some compassion.
I wish you well too. When you figure out the difference between suffering for the faith and suffering for unbelief then we can communicate.