Graves Opened...Bodies Went Into the City

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

whirlwind

Nov 8, 2007
Matthew 27:52-53 And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose, And came out of the graves after His resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.

Some see this literally...long dead bodies rising from literal graves and walking around town. But, this is to be understood spiritually. When He arose it made it possible for those in their graves to rise. Where is the "holy city," for that is where they went?

Revelation 21:2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
Huh. I'd never considered that. It's possible. What do you do with that last part? "And appeared unto many?" Because to my way of understanding, that's the only part that could stand in the way of understanding it spiritually. Why would it tell us that these people were seen by many in heaven? Sort of seems like empty information, unless they were seen by living people. Especially considering that all through the NT there is emphasis on eye witnesses to these momentous events, events that proved Christ to be truly the Son of God.

Just wonderin'!

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
Rach said:
Huh. I'd never considered that. It's possible. What do you do with that last part? "And appeared unto many?" Because to my way of understanding, that's the only part that could stand in the way of understanding it spiritually. Why would it tell us that these people were seen by many in heaven? Sort of seems like empty information, unless they were seen by living people. Especially considering that all through the NT there is emphasis on eye witnesses to these momentous events, events that proved Christ to be truly the Son of God.

Just wonderin'!
Hey, that's right. How would a living person know what was happening in the future New Jerusalem?

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
I think this is literal. Jesus appeared to some and not others after his Resurrection. He also came and went mysteriously at that time. Why would it be different for the saints at that time?

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I emphatically disagree with the O/Ps position... I believe it to be a literal event that took place after Jesus rose from the dead as these saints were seen/witnessed by many...and why ever not? :huh: why would it be so difficult to believe since Jesus rose that the OT saints who slept, were raised also?

1 Corinthians 15
20 But Christ has indeed been raised from the dead, the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep. 21 For since death came through a man, the resurrection of the dead comes also through a man. 22 For as in Adam all die, so in Christ all will be made alive. 23 But each in turn: Christ, the firstfruits; then, when he comes, those who belong to him.

Also note:

Ephesians 4
4 I, therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you to walk worthy of the calling with which you were called, 2 with all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love, 3 endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. 4 There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called in one hope of your calling; 5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism; 6 one God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.
7 But to each one of us grace was given according to the measure of Christ’s gift. 8 Therefore He says:

“When He ascended on high,
He led captivity captive,
And gave gifts to men.”

9 (Now this, “He ascended”—what does it mean but that He also first descended into the lower parts of the earth? 10 He who descended is also the One who ascended far above all the heavens, that He might fill all things.)

My understanding of this passage, is that Christ led these holy ones who slept in death [captive to death without a savior], captivity by his death and resurrection as he ascended on high...JMHO

whirlwind

Nov 8, 2007
Rach -

Just wonderin'!

[/QUOTE]

"And came out of the graves after His resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many."

Where were the many to whom the saints appeared? They were in "the holy city," or better said...the saints, both physically dead and physically living saints....ARE the holy city. New Jerusalem, the holy city is....God's saints, His elect.

After His resurrection the celestial bodies of the saints arose and went into the holy city.

Revelation 3:12 Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of My God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of My God, and the name of the city of My God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from My God: and I will write upon him My new name.

New Jerusalem is of heaven. We, as physically living humans, can dwell in one of three places. Heaven, Earth or the Sea. Heaven is symbolic of God living, dwelling, in us. Earth is where righteous people live...not wicked and yet not saved. The Sea is masses of ungodly people.

The saints arose and appeared into the many that dwell in heaven and they are the holy city Jerusalem. It is spiritual...not literal. Did the disciples and apostles literally SEE them? I don't know. My thought is that those of God...knew they rose as His crucifixion released them from the grave.

The literal city of Jerusalem...was NOT HOLY. It was/is filled with wickedness.

The question this raises, for me, is...did the saints appear to the Disciples in the holy city and if yes...why then did some of them question His appearing? And too, in what form did they appear? It leads me into a deeper understanding of why Jesus was not recognized by many and why it is said that He....

Mark 16:12 After that He appeared in another form unto two of them, as they walked, and went into the country.

Dodo_David said:
Hey, that's right. How would a living person know what was happening in the future New Jerusalem?

The New Jerusalem wasn't/isn't future for it is eternal. The Holy City adds new residents each day for we are the holy city Jerusalem when He dwells in us.

2 Corinthians 6:16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
The saints arose and appeared into the many that dwell in heaven and they are the holy city Jerusalem. It is spiritual...not literal. Did the disciples and apostles literally SEE them? I don't know. My thought is that those of God...knew they rose as His crucifixion released them from the grave.

The literal city of Jerusalem...was NOT HOLY. It was/is filled with wickedness.
Hmmm....If the Holy city spoken of in Matt 27:52-53 was the heavenly Jerusalem, then why is it that Satan himself when testing Jesus, took him to the very top of the Temple "in the Holy City" tempting him to disobey God.... when he has no jurisdiction in heaven nor can Jesus be harmed in heaven or in and need of aide from angels? :huh:

Matthew 4
4 Then Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil. 2 And when He had fasted forty days and forty nights, afterward He was hungry. 3 Now when the tempter came to Him, he said, “If You are the Son of God, command that these stones become bread.”
4 But He answered and said, “It is written, ‘Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.’”
5 Then the devil took Him up into the holy city, set Him on the pinnacle of the temple, 6 and said to Him, “If You are the Son of God, throw Yourself down. For it is written:

‘He shall give His angels charge over you,’and,‘In their hands they shall bear you up,Lest you dash your foot against a stone.’”

7 Jesus said to him, “It is written again, ‘You shall not tempt the Lord your God.’”

whirlwind

Nov 8, 2007
Angelina said:
Hmmm....If the Holy city spoken of in Matt 27:52-53 was the heavenly Jerusalem, then why is it that Satan himself when testing Jesus, took him to the very top of the Temple "in the Holy City" tempting him to disobey God.... when he has no jurisdiction in heaven nor can Jesus be harmed in heaven or in and need of aide from angels? :huh:

Matthew 4
4 Then Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil. 2 And when He had fasted forty days and forty nights, afterward He was hungry. 3 Now when the tempter came to Him, he said, “If You are the Son of God, command that these stones become bread.”
4 But He answered and said, “It is written, ‘Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.’”
5 Then the devil took Him up into the holy city, set Him on the pinnacle of the temple, 6 and said to Him, “If You are the Son of God, throw Yourself down. For it is written:

‘He shall give His angels charge over you,’and,‘In their hands they shall bear you up,Lest you dash your foot against a stone.’”

7 Jesus said to him, “It is written again, ‘You shall not tempt the Lord your God.’”

Matthew 4:5-7 Then the devil taketh Him up into the holy city, and setteth Him on a pinnacle of the temple, And saith unto Him, If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down: for it is written, He shall give His angels charge concerning Thee: and in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time Thou dash Thy foot against a stone. Jesus said unto him, It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.

Jesus is our example in all things.

1 Corinthians 10:11 Now all these things happened unto them for examples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come.

Satan has jurisdiction in the holy city (in us) for he tempts us each and every day...as he tempted Christ. We are those Satan fights for if we have the testimony of Christ...which is the spirit of prophecy.

Revelation 12:17 And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

Revelation 1:2 Who bare record of the word of God, and of the testimony of Jesus Christ, and of all things that he saw.

Revelation 19:10 And I fell at his feet to worship him. And he said unto me, See thou do it not: I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren that have the testimony of Jesus: worship God: for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.

Those Satan makes spiritual war with are those that have the Word of God AND have the testimony of Jesus and that is...the spirit of prophecy. There are no new prophets or prophecies but there are prophets. Today, to prophesy is to hear revelations and speak what is heard. The prophecy is understanding of the written Word. That is the "testimony of Jesus." That is what Satan wants stopped!

As Satan tried to have Jesus "cast Thyself down" to worship him...he asks (deceives, beguiles, entices) us to do the same. He wants us to fall into apostasy.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Your doctrine re: Matt 4 errs greatly. The temple in Jerusalem [the Holy City] was standing when Jesus walked the earth after being reconstructed by King Herod. Matthew 24:1,2. Satan does not have authority where the heavenly Jerusalem resides. The domain he was given is on earth where he tried to tempt Jesus. Jesus did not ascend into heaven until after his resurrection and not before.

your quote:

Satan has jurisdiction in the holy city (in us) for he tempts us each and every day...as he tempted Christ. We are those Satan fights for if we have the testimony of Christ...which is the spirit of prophecy.
He had not died at this point...so the Spirit was not yet given. John 7:39.

whirlwind

Nov 8, 2007
Angelina said:
Your doctrine re: Matt 4 errs greatly. The temple in Jerusalem [the Holy City] was standing when Jesus walked the earth after being reconstructed by King Herod. Matthew 24:1,2. Satan does not have authority where the heavenly Jerusalem resides. The domain he was given is on earth where he tried to tempt Jesus. Jesus did not ascend into heaven until after his resurrection and not before.

your quote:

He had not died at this point...so the Spirit was not yet given. John 7:39.

I didn't say Jesus wasn't taken to the temple in the city of Jerusalem when His temptation took place for...He was. Jesus is our example...the literal event before the spiritual event.

1 Corinthians 15:46 Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual.

Young's Literal renders the verse: Then doth the Devil take Him to the [holy] city, and doth set Him on the pinnacle of the temple, [Matthew 4:5] In other words "holy" was added to the literal city of Jerusalem. He was taken to the temple in Jerusalem...not the holy city. That was the literal event and He is our example of what will be spiritually.

Believers, God's Elect ARE the holy city Jerusalem for He dwells in us and we become His holy city, His holy people. It is to be seen spiritually and Satan does indeed have jurisdiction in us if we allow it.

Isaiah 62:12 And they shall call them, The holy people, The redeemed of the Lord: and thou shalt be called, Sought out, A city not forsaken.

We are the Holy City Jerusalem if we are His holy people, His elect. We are because Jesus dwells in us, walks in us and teaches us. We are the city not forsaken.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
In other words "holy" was added to the literal city of Jerusalem. He was taken to the temple in Jerusalem...not the holy city. That was the literal event and He is our example of what will be spiritually.
The temple was in the Holy City [Jerusalem] which was in existence during the days of Jesus... Note: Matthew 4 again

‘He shall give His angels charge over you,’

and,

‘In their hands they shall bear you up,
Lest you dash your foot against a stone.’”

whirlwind

Nov 8, 2007
Angelina said:
The temple was in the Holy City [Jerusalem] which was in existence during the days of Jesus... Note: Matthew 4 again

‘He shall give His angels charge over you,’

and,

‘In their hands they shall bear you up,
Lest you dash your foot against a stone.’”

The literal city of Jerusalem was NOT holy but was certainly in existence. "Holy" was added to the text in that verse. Jerusalem was where the temple was located until the crucifixion of Christ. After which it was a dead building standing...until 70AD when it no longer stood. It was of no importance for the true HOLY Temple had been raised...the veil was torn.

How could a city be holy when it crucified Christ, when it was ruled by pagan Romans, when the Jewish hierarchy were corrupt religious leaders that plotted against God?

The "holy city" came into being when the True Temple was resurrected and....we are His holy city.

whirlwind

Nov 8, 2007
Dodo_David said:
According to whom? What evidence supports your claim?

Dodo....you must read my posts for I NEVER make "claims" without giving validation. I'm happy to provide it again...from an above post:

Young's Literal renders the verse: Then doth the Devil take Him to the [holy] city, and doth set Him on the pinnacle of the temple, [Matthew 4:5]

Holy was added.

I will add...as you missed the above...please be sure to see:

Isaiah 62:12 And they shall call them, The holy people, The redeemed of the Lord: and thou shalt be called, Sought out, A city not forsaken.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
The literal city of Jerusalem was NOT holy but was certainly in existence. "Holy" was added to the text in that verse. Jerusalem was where the temple was located until the crucifixion of Christ.
Not according to the KJV, NKJV, NIV, OJB, NRSV, HCSB and it goes on...and we are not the holy city....

How could a city be holy when it crucified Christ, when it was ruled by pagan Romans, when the Jewish hierarchy were corrupt religious leaders that plotted against God?
...because it is the city of the great King Matthew 5:33, 34, 35.

also note:

Matthew 21
10 And when He had come into Jerusalem, all the city was moved, saying, “Who is this?”
11 So the multitudes said, “This is Jesus, the prophet from Nazareth of Galilee.”
12 Then Jesus went into the temple of God and drove out all those who bought and sold in the temple, and overturned the tables of the money changers and the seats of those who sold doves. 13 And He said to them, “It is written, ‘My house shall be called a house of prayer,’ but you have made it a ‘den of thieves.’”
14 Then the blind and the lame came to Him in the temple, and He healed them.

whirlwind

Nov 8, 2007
Angelina, on 08 Dec 2013 - 4:08 PM, said: -
Not according to the KJV, NKJV, NIV, OJB, NRSV, HCSB and it goes on

If you believe that then please tell me why the wicked city of Jerusalem could possibly be called...the holy city?

...and we are not the holy city....

We may not be but....I am for I am redeemed. :D

...because it is the city of the great King Matthew 5:33, 34, 35.

The holy city Jerusalem is the city of the great King. She, the holy city, is His holy people!

also note:
Matthew 21
10 And when He had come into Jerusalem, all the city was moved, saying, “Who is this?”
11 So the multitudes said, “This is Jesus, the prophet from Nazareth of Galilee.”
12 Then Jesus went into the temple of God and drove out all those who bought and sold in the temple, and overturned the tables of the money changers and the seats of those who sold doves. 13 And He said to them, “It is written, ‘My house shall be called a house of prayer,’ but you have made it a ‘den of thieves.’”
14 Then the blind and the lame came to Him in the temple, and He healed them.

The temple of God was in the city of Jerusalem. The temple was filled with thieves. Was it holy? No, it was NOT. But, when He was resurrected the Holy Temple is now and evermore...the Holy Temple.

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
whirlwind said:
Dodo....you must read my posts for I NEVER make "claims" without giving validation. I'm happy to provide it again...from an above post:

Young's Literal renders the verse: Then doth the Devil take Him to the [holy] city, and doth set Him on the pinnacle of the temple, [Matthew 4:5]

Holy was added.

I will add...as you missed the above...please be sure to see:

But the KJV says, "Then the devil taketh him up into the holy city, and setteth him on a pinnacle of the temple."

Now, why, in another thread, do you insist that I use the KJV, while in this thread you use an English version other than the KJV?

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
If you believe that then please tell me why the wicked city of Jerusalem could possibly be called...the holy city?
I just did...

We may not be but....I am for I am redeemed.
so am I but that does not make me a city in Heaven... :huh:

The temple of God was in the city of Jerusalem. The temple was filled with thieves. Was it holy? No, it was NOT. But, when He was resurrected the Holy Temple is now and evermore...the Holy Temple.
You are talking about two different things...prior to his resurrection [Jerusalem was still called the Holy City] and after he ascended into heaven and became the great high priest forever,according to the order of Melchizedek...

whirlwind

Nov 8, 2007
Dodo_David said:
But the KJV says, "Then the devil taketh him up into the holy city, and setteth him on a pinnacle of the temple."

Now, why, in another thread, do you insist that I use the KJV, while in this thread you use an English version other than the KJV?

Because...it is the best but it is not infallible. God's Words are but man's translations are not. It is the closest to the true that is available. When we know, or believe we know, that what is written cannot be...we "search the Scriptures." I did. The literal city of Jerusalem is NOT the holy city.