Guitar

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
QUOTE (jburic09032 @ Feb 14 2009, 04:41 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=69190
I just jot a kidy guitar, and the strings are too low,and touching the fretboard, so it sounds bad. Can anyone tell me how to higher the strings.Thanks
I'm sorry that I can not help you here in music, due to not knowing much about the music area. But I just felt the need to say something encouraging.To me, God could careless if the sound is good or bad... He will find it sweet either way if it goes to glorify Him. He loves it when we praise Him regardless of voice and sound.
smile.gif

shutin45

Feb 18, 2009
QUOTE (jburic09032 @ Feb 14 2009, 06:41 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=69190
I just jot a kidy guitar, and the strings are too low,and touching the fretboard, so it sounds bad. Can anyone tell me how to higher the strings.Thanks
Dear jburic09032,Usually at the end of the guitar by the hole (I'm assuming you're talking about an acoustic guitar) there's a spacer that holds and guides the strings. It's supposed to keep them the proper distance from the frets.Was it a really cheap guitar? Could it be that as a novice you're not used to pressing the strings correctly between the frets? If you don't, it won't sound right. Best wishes with your new guitar. I play mine with my children, and along with old CD's and a Bart Millard "Hymned" Cd. Hoping to get the new Third Day Cd soon so I can play along with it!Jim

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
I'm assuming this is an acustic? 1- Is this a super generic guitar? If so, the wood is inferior and the neck doesn't have a strut through it, so it will be and stay warped.2- Is the guitar in tune? Detuned or down tuned guitars will have fret rattle.3- Is the bridge (the thing at the bottom of the guitar that holds the strings) adjustable? You'll notice screws that can move it up and down verticle from the top.4- Are the strings new or old? Strings can get flat spots as they stretch and get worn.5- Is the nut broken? (The nut is the thing at the top of the neck that has little grooves that hold the strings) It can be busted or just worn, new ones are cheap.6- Are you using enough pressure on the strings and are you putting your chords too close to the frets?

Polar

Apr 10, 2009
When I first got a guitar I found that the local music store or someone in the music department at my local college was always willing to assist with tuning.And many gave free pointers or quick lessons along the way.It's the poor man's way to start learning.

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
First thing to do is sight the neck by looking down it longways and see how the neck is warped. Then look for a place where the neck is joined to the guitar body for access to a female hex-nut hole to use a hex-wrench on. If it's an acoustic guitar with a soundhole, the hex adjustment ought to be just inside the soundhole near the neck-body end. If it's an electric solid-body guitar, the hex adjustment ought to be under a plate cover somewhere at body end of the neck, usually back of the neck near the body.

To adjust the neck bow, you loosen the string tension first; then turn the hex wrench in the slot so the neck starts bowing backward a bit, just enough to keep the guitar strings from buzzing when you tune them back up to standard tuning (get a tuning fork to tune the E-string or A-string; it's cheap; it's easy; it's good for ear-training).

You do not want to do a whole lot of adjustment all at once. Do it in increments. Adjust a little, tune up the strings to see if it's enough; do it a little more if not enough, like that until you get it where you want it. You only want a little bow under the strings, just so when you play notes at the first fret you don't hear them buzz. Fret the string slightly behind the fret, not in front of the fret.

If you don't have a tuner or tuning fork, you can make your strings too tight (bad for neck and where it attaches to the body). If it's an electric guitar, and the strings are too tight when tuned properly, the intonation of the strings is probably wrong. When you play a string open, you ought to hear that very same note at the twelfth fret one octave higher in pitch. On an electric at the body end where the strings terminate, the strings sit in individual 'saddles'. Each one usually has an adjustment up and down (height) and back and forward (to set intonation -i.e., length of the string).

If you've got an electric guitar, check the neck for warpage (slight neck bow under strings is preferred). If the bow looks OK, then adjust the individual string's saddle height at the body end where the strings terminate. That should take care of string buzzing.