Hades

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Our society is now using the word "Hell" so frequently and flippantly that the majority of people (even believers) have in effect become "desensitized" to the true meaning of the word as used in the Bible!

The subterfuge of Satan surely has some part in this "cover up!" This reminds me of Screwtape's advice to his protege "Keep everything hazy in his mind now (in context this refers primarily to the church), and you will have all eternity wherein to amuse yourself by producing in him the peculiar kind of clarity which Hell affords.Keep everything hazy in his mind now, and you will have all eternity wherein to amuse yourself by producing in him the peculiar kind of clarity which Hell affords." Uncle Screwtape in letter 12 to Wormwood adds "Indeed the safest road to Hell is the gradual one — the gentle slope, soft underfoot without sudden turnings, without milestones, without signposts, Your affectionate uncle Screwtape ."

Uncle Screwtape goes on to tell Wormwood "Your man may be untroubled about the Future, not because he is concerned with the Present, but because he has persuaded himself that the Future is going to be agreeable. (ED: SURVEYS CONFIRM MOST AMERICANS THINK THEY WILL GO TO HEAVEN WHEN THEY DIE WITH FEW THINKING THEY ARE DOOMED FOR ETERNAL PUNISHMENT! SADLY AND TRAGICALLY UNCLE SCREWTAPE HAS BEEN VERY SUCCESSFUL!)

As long as that is the real course of his tranquility, his tranquility will do us good, because it is only piling up more disappointment, and therefore more impatience, for him when his false hopes are dashed. If, on the other hand, he is aware that horrors may be in store for him (REFERRING TO HELL) and is praying for the virtues, wherewith to meet them, and meanwhile concerning himself with the Present because there, and there alone, all duty, all grace, all knowledge, and all pleasure dwell, his state is very undesirable and should be attacked at once. Here again, our Philological Arm has done good work; try the word “complacency” on him. But, of course, it is most likely that he is “living in the Present” for none of these reasons but simply because his health is good and he is enjoying his work. The phenomenon would then be merely natural. All the same, I should break it up if I were you. No natural phenomenon is really in our favour. And anyway, why should the creature be happy? Your affectionate uncle Screwtape (C S Lewis - Screwtape Letters or borrow book)

I was shocked when I searched for "Idioms of Hell" and encountered over 100 common phrases that use the word Hell in essentially "R rated" idioms (click here at your own risk) which are now accepted as common parlance in our increasing amoral ("ethically indifferent") society. This proliferation of idioms undoubtedly contributes to the upward slope in the use of "Hell" in 2010 as depicted above.

An old Puritan writer had a good antidote for modern malaise concerning hell "Meditate much on hell. Let us go into hell by contemplation that we may not go into hell by condemnation! (see complete devotional)

In his book The Doctrine of Eternal Punishment, Harry Buis writes "That keen European thinker Berdyaev says, "It is remarkable how little people think about hell or trouble about it. This is the most striking evidence of human frivolity." Schilder makes a similar and more detailed analysis of the situation when he says, "What is hell? When you place this question before the modern cosmopolitan man of our day, who is satiated with hyper-culture, then his answer is ready: Hell is a figment of the imagination! Hell? Well, this shadowy frightfulness which is implied in the word, as man says, can't be anything other than a notion of founders of religions and of priests and lying prophets, wherewith they deceive the masses, and the world which wants to be deluded, in order to fill their empty pockets in this life with the preaching of the total emptying of the sinner in the hereafter...they tell you bluntly, that the world doesn't believe any more in hell." (Preface)

To summarize, this parable is about 2 men, a poor man who goes to heaven and a rich man who goes to hell. And note that most of the text in Lk 16:19-31 focuses on the fate of the rich man with only minimal attention being given to the poor man. Clearly, the purpose of this parable is to serve as a warning to the rich Pharisees and all of their ilk who also are deceived and hold the false belief that they are going to heaven when they die but instead will find themselves in hell! Jesus knows this is not a comfortable subject to address, but He also knows it is absolutely necessary so that men might understand the grave danger they are in when they reject Him and refuse to believe His Gospel. As horrible as this subject is to talk about, it is sorely needed that it might cause all readers to contemplate their eternal destiny and to repent and believe in Jesus while today is still called today (cf Heb 3:13). It is only fitting that the Lord Jesus Christ Who is the Judge of the living (born again believers) and the dead (unregenerate) (2 Ti 4:1), is the One Who to give this parable two men and two destinies.

Jesus employed the most graphic language to describe what hell is like: fire (Mt 5:22; Mt 18:9); eternal fire (Mt 18:8); destruction (Mt 7:13); away from his presence (Mt 7:23); thrown outside (Mt 8:12; 22:13; 25:30); blazing furnace (Mt 13:42); darkness (Mt 22:13; 25:30); eternal punishment (Mt 25:46); weeping and gnashing of teeth (Mt 8:12; 13:42; 13:50; 22:13; 24:51). Jesus twice used the word eternal (Mt 18:8; 25:46) to convey that the punishment of nonbelievers would continue forever.

NagaMorningstar

Dec 13, 2022
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think outer darkness is different from hell. I think that is where until after I had overcoming experiences. I always had aphantasia (saw nothing with eyes closed whereas kingdom of heaven is supposed to be within) and bruxism (teeth grinding) and depression. After overcoming I was able to see spirits like veil was lifted and even a kingdom of light within though I can’t see it anymore and just see dark spirits now.

• Sad
Reactions: Keturah

-Phil

Nov 22, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Johann
There isn’t a hell when you die, or a hell at all… because there isn’t actually death.
Seems like it in the collective conditioning sense, but it’s not actual. What’s actual is that it’s a thought, believed. A belief.

That’s actually your own direct experience.

Even if every one believes the same, it doesn’t make it true. Hence the term, belief. The difference between a belief and the truth, is only one is the truth. The way to realize this is to question the assumption you were born, and realize what has no end or beginning can’t be and was never born.

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
There isn’t a hell when you die, or a hell at all… because there isn’t actually death.
Seems like it in the collective conditioning sense, but it’s not actual. What’s actual is that it’s a thought, believed. A belief
So, when Jesus was talking about hell, He said:
"I believe there is a hell" ???????

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
To summarize, this parable is about 2 men, a poor man who goes to heaven and a rich man who goes to hell. And note that most of the text in Lk 16:19-31 focuses on the fate of the rich man with only minimal attention being given to the poor man. Clearly, the purpose of this parable is to serve as a warning to the rich Pharisees and all of their ilk who also are deceived and hold the false belief that they are going to heaven when they die but instead will find themselves in hell! Jesus knows this is not a comfortable subject to address, but He also knows it is absolutely necessary so that men might understand the grave danger they are in when they reject Him and refuse to believe His Gospel. As horrible as this subject is to talk about, it is sorely needed that it might cause all readers to contemplate their eternal destiny and to repent and believe in Jesus while today is still called today (cf Heb 3:13). It is only fitting that the Lord Jesus Christ Who is the Judge of the living (born again believers) and the dead (unregenerate) (2 Ti 4:1), is the One Who to give this parable two men and two destinies.
I read that parable in an entirely different way....the way that a first century follower of Jesus would have heard and understood it.
This is not a story about heaven and hell, but about two groups of people who changed places, both becoming "dead" to their former lives.
One was in a favored position by birth, and the other came into a favored position by faith.

The rich man pictured the Pharisees who were dining sumptuously at the spiritual table of God's word, but the poor beggar stationed himself at the rich man's gate hoping for a few crumbs to come his way.....but the rich man never even noticed that the beggar was starving and couldn't have cared less anyway....."the people of the dirt" were not worthy of their time or attention...lost sheep.

The beggar represented those to whom Jesus was sent....he was not sent to the incorrigible Pharisees, but to those "lost sheep" who were precious to God but of no worth to the Pharisees.
When Jesus came, the two groups traded places. The reason why the parable concentrates on the rich man is because these were rich because of what they stole from the poor....the "lost sheep" were not worth searching for and could remain lost for all they cared. Jesus showed that every lost sheep was precious to his Father.

"The bosom of Abraham", (a position of favor with God) was lost to the Pharisees and given to the beggar.

The ancient Jews had no belief in heaven or hell....it was never a Jewish teaching....never mentioned in their scripture.
The Jews were taught "resurrection", not an immortal soul that left the body at death....that was adopted from Greek platonism...it was never a scriptural teaching and the words of Jesus concerning "hell" (hades and gehenna) have been badly misinterpreted and misconstrued.

Jesus employed the most graphic language to describe what hell is like: fire (Mt 5:22; Mt 18:9); eternal fire (Mt 18:8); destruction (Mt 7:13); away from his presence (Mt 7:23); thrown outside (Mt 8:12; 22:13; 25:30); blazing furnace (Mt 13:42); darkness (Mt 22:13; 25:30); eternal punishment (Mt 25:46); weeping and gnashing of teeth (Mt 8:12; 13:42; 13:50; 22:13; 24:51). Jesus twice used the word eternal (Mt 18:8; 25:46) to convey that the punishment of nonbelievers would continue forever.
So which Greek words are we seeing in these passages that you are quoting from? "Hades" or "Gehenna"?
Matt 5:22 and 18:9 are speaking about "Gehenna" which Jesus states is a place where body and soul are "destroyed" (Matt 10:28) not burnt up or tortured.
"Gehenna" is not a literal place just as "the lake of fire" is not a literal place......they are symbolic of utter destruction.

Fire is never used in the Bible to punish people.....what is left after a fire is ashes. Fire destroys things...so that nothing is left.

When the unfaithful Israelites were burning their children in sacrifice to the false god Molech, what did Jehovah say about that?
Jeremiah 7:31....
"They have built the high places of Toʹpheth, which is in the Valley of the Son of Hinʹnom, in order to burn their sons and their daughters in the fire, something that I had not commanded and that had never even come into my heart.’"

God put a stop to that behavior because he said it was not something he would ever think of doing.....it was disgusting!...so why would he do that to his own children?
He had the "Valley of Hinnom" turned into a garbage dump, where fires were kept burning day and night by the addition of brimstone (sulfur) to consume the rubbish. The carcasses of dead animals and the bodies of executed criminals were often thrown into the flames for disposal.....nothing alive ever went into "gehenna". This is the 'unquenchable fire' and the 'undying worms' which were the maggots that finished off what the flames missed. Gehenna is not a burning "hell" and never was. It was a place where what went in, never came out...a place of complete destruction.

No OT scripture ever spoke of life after death except by resurrection....which is a future restoration of life....not a continuation of it.

Keturah

Dec 19, 2022
Here
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think outer darkness is different from hell. I think that is where until after I had overcoming experiences. I always had aphantasia (saw nothing with eyes closed whereas kingdom of heaven is supposed to be within) and bruxism (teeth grinding) and depression. After overcoming I was able to see spirits like veil was lifted and even a kingdom of light within though I can’t see it anymore and just see dark spirits now.
I'm praying that God's light would shine so brightly on his TRUTH for you in his holy writ, that you would become blind to the darkness and see by the Spirit how the
LIGHT OVERCOMES THE DARKNESS.♥️

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
I read that parable in an entirely different way....the way that a first century follower of Jesus would have heard and understood it.
This is not a story about heaven and hell, but about two groups of people who changed places, both becoming "dead" to their former lives.
One was in a favored position by birth, and the other came into a favored position by faith.

The rich man pictured the Pharisees who were dining sumptuously at the spiritual table of God's word, but the poor beggar stationed himself at the rich man's gate hoping for a few crumbs to come his way.....but the rich man never even noticed that the beggar was starving and couldn't have cared less anyway....."the people of the dirt" were not worthy of their time or attention...lost sheep.

The beggar represented those to whom Jesus was sent....he was not sent to the incorrigible Pharisees, but to those "lost sheep" who were precious to God but of no worth to the Pharisees.
When Jesus came, the two groups traded places. The reason why the parable concentrates on the rich man is because these were rich because of what they stole from the poor....the "lost sheep" were not worth searching for and could remain lost for all they cared. Jesus showed that every lost sheep was precious to his Father.

"The bosom of Abraham", (a position of favor with God) was lost to the Pharisees and given to the beggar.

The ancient Jews had no belief in heaven or hell....it was never a Jewish teaching....never mentioned in their scripture.
The Jews were taught "resurrection", not an immortal soul that left the body at death....that was adopted from Greek platonism...it was never a scriptural teaching and the words of Jesus concerning "hell" (hades and gehenna) have been badly misinterpreted and misconstrued.

So which Greek words are we seeing in these passages that you are quoting from? "Hades" or "Gehenna"?
Matt 5:22 and 18:9 are speaking about "Gehenna" which Jesus states is a place where body and soul are "destroyed" (Matt 10:28) not burnt up or tortured.
"Gehenna" is not a literal place just as "the lake of fire" is not a literal place......they are symbolic of utter destruction.

Fire is never used in the Bible to punish people.....what is left after a fire is ashes. Fire destroys things...so that nothing is left.

When the unfaithful Israelites were burning their children in sacrifice to the false god Molech, what did Jehovah say about that?
Jeremiah 7:31....
"They have built the high places of Toʹpheth, which is in the Valley of the Son of Hinʹnom, in order to burn their sons and their daughters in the fire, something that I had not commanded and that had never even come into my heart.’"

God put a stop to that behavior because he said it was not something he would ever think of doing.....it was disgusting!...so why would he do that to his own children?
He had the "Valley of Hinnom" turned into a garbage dump, where fires were kept burning day and night by the addition of brimstone (sulfur) to consume the rubbish. The carcasses of dead animals and the bodies of executed criminals were often thrown into the flames for disposal.....nothing alive ever went into "gehenna". This is the 'unquenchable fire' and the 'undying worms' which were the maggots that finished off what the flames missed. Gehenna is not a burning "hell" and never was. It was a place where what went in, never came out...a place of complete destruction.

No OT scripture ever spoke of life after death except by resurrection....which is a future restoration of life....not a continuation of it.
Let's just say: Agree, to disagree.

ReChoired

Nov 26, 2019
Region
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Our society is now using the word "Hell" so frequently and flippantly that the majority of people (even believers) have in effect become "desensitized" to the true meaning of the word as used in the Bible! ...

Best go to the Bible (KJB) then:

QUESTION: WHAT DOES THE WORD “HELL” MEAN, OR WHAT IS THE DEFINITION OF “HELL”?

The Bible’s use of the word “hell” (54 times, KJB), translated from Hebrew & koine Greek, in general mean “pit”, “grave” or ‘place of outer darkness, or away from a source of light’:

[1] Hebrew “sheol” (H7586) - (65 times)

[A.] (31 times, “hell”)
Deuteronomy 32:22; 2 Samuel 22:6; Job 11:8, 26:6; Psalms 9:17, 16:10, 18:5, 55:15, 86:13, 116:3, 139:8; Proverbs 5:5, 7:27, 9:18, 15:11,24, 23:14, 27:20; Isaiah 5:14, 14:9, 28:15 (2),18, 57:9; Ezekiel 31:16-17 (2), 32:21,27; Jonah 2:2 (2); Habakkuk 2:5;

[B.] (30 times, “grave”) Genesis 37:35, 42:38, 44:29,31; 1 Kings 2:6 (2),9; Job 7:9, 21:13 (3), 24:19; Psalms 6:5, 30:3, 31:17, 49:14-15 (3), 88:3, 89:48; Proverbs 1:12, 30:16; Ecclesiastes 9:10; Song of Solomon 8:6; Isaiah 14:11, 38:10,18; Ezekiel 31:15; Hosea 13:14 (2);

[C.] (3 times, “pit”) Numbers 16:30,33; Job 17:16;

[D.] (1 times, “grave's”) Psalms 141:7

[2] Greek “Hades” (G86) - (11 times)

[A.] (10 times, “hell”)
Matthew 11:23, 16:18; Luke 10:15, 16:23; Acts 2:27,31; Revelation 1:18, 6:8, 20:13-14 (2);

[B.] (1 times, “grave”) 1 Corinthians 15:55

[3] Greek “Gehenna” (G1067) - (12 times, “hell”) Matthew 5:22, 29-30 (2), 10:28, 18:9, 23:15,33; Mark 9:43,45,47; James 3:5-6 (2)

[4] Greek “Tartaroo” (G5020) - (1 times, “hell”) 2 Peter 2:4, “ταρταρωσας”, a place of “outer darkness” (see also Matthew 8:12, 22:13, 25:30). The fallen angels, were “cast out” (Revelation 12:9) of Heaven, where all is light and glory (Revelation 21:23, 22:5), into the darkness between worlds (Hebrews 1:2, 11:3), what we call 'outer space', before satan came to the just newly created earth (Eze. 28:16-17; Luke 10:18; Jude 1:6), seeking allies in his continuing rebellion.

The Bible’s parallelism in either Hebrew or koine Greek, or English (KJB), shows us that the word, “hell” simply means “pit”, “grave”, a place of covering, and no light.

[A.] Isa_14:15 Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit.

[B.] Eze_31:16 I made the nations to shake at the sound of his fall, when I cast him down to hell with them that descend into the pit: and all the trees of Eden, the choice and best of Lebanon, all that drink water, shall be comforted in the nether parts of the earth.

[C.] Psa_30:3 O LORD, thou hast brought up my soul from the grave: thou hast kept me alive, that I should not go down to the pit.

[D.] Pro_1:12 Let us swallow them up alive as the grave; and whole, as those that go down into the pit:

[E.] Isa_14:19 But thou art cast out of thy grave like an abominable branch, and as the raiment of those that are slain, thrust through with a sword, that go down to the stones of the pit; as a carcase trodden under feet.

[F.] Isa_38:18 For the grave cannot praise thee, death can not celebrate thee: they that go down into the pit cannot hope for thy truth.

[G.] Eze_32:23 Whose graves are set in the sides of the pit, and her company is round about her grave: all of them slain, fallen by the sword, which caused terror in the land of the living.

[H.] Eze_32:24 There is Elam and all her multitude round about her grave, all of them slain, fallen by the sword, which are gone down uncircumcised into the nether parts of the earth, which caused their terror in the land of the living; yet have they borne their shame with them that go down to the pit.

[I.] Act_2:27 Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption. (see Psalms 16:10)

Act_2:31 He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption.

[J.] Psa 49:14 Like sheep they are laid in the grave; death shall feed on them; and the upright shall have dominion over them in the morning; and their beauty shall consume in the grave from their dwelling.

Psa 49:15 But God will redeem my soul from the power of the grave: for he shall receive me. Selah.

Psa 49:17 For when he dieth he shall carry nothing away: his glory shall not descend after him.

Psa 49:19 He shall go to the generation of his fathers; they shall never see light.

QUESTION: ISN’T THE WORD “HELL” ASSOCIATED WITH “FIRE”, AND NOT JUST “GRAVE”, “PIT” OR “DARKNESS”?

Yes, it is, but the two words “hell” and “fire” are separate and distinct things. The fire was already kindled by God, since the Noachian Flood (a type of the end-time final destruction; 2 Peter 3:6-8; Matthew 24:37-38; Luke 17:26), as the earth was broken up, and massive amounts of debris was buried in and under the nether parts of the earth (Job 26:5-6), and turned to ‘gas’, ‘coal’, ‘oil’ over time, and the friction of great weight of the plates of the earth, causing those things to heat, burn and explode (it’s where earthquakes, tsunami’s, volcanoes come from), is still burning to this day, and will be used to bring about the final destruction of satan, his fallen angels and all the finally impenitent (unrepentant), wicked.

[A.] Deu_32:22 For a fire is kindled in mine anger, and shall burn unto the lowest hell, and shall consume the earth with her increase, and set on fire the foundations of the mountains.

[B.] Rev_20:14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. (see also Matthew 5:22, 18:9; Mark 9:43,45,47; James 3:6)

.... from the Study on Hell, here - https://archive.org/details/study-1... TORTURE PEOPLE IN HELLFIRE FOR EVER AND EVER

or here - 13 Bible Studies, Prophecy, History, Theology, Legacy by brother Aaron Earnest : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

ReChoired

Nov 26, 2019
Region
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Our society is now using the word "Hell" so frequently and flippantly that the majority of people (even believers) have in effect become "desensitized" to the true meaning of the word as used in the Bible! ...
Some standard definitions:

DEFINITIONS AND ETYMOLOGY (WORD ORIGINS) OF THE WORDS “HELL” AND “HELLING”:

ETYMOLOGY ONLINE:

[A.]
“also Hell, Old English hel, helle, "nether world, abode of the dead, infernal regions, place of torment for the wicked after death," from Proto-Germanic *haljō "the underworld" (source also of Old Frisian helle, Old Saxon hellia, Dutch hel, Old Norse hel, German Hölle, Gothic halja "hell"). Literally "concealed place" (compare Old Norse hellir "cave, cavern"), from PIE root *kel- (1) "to cover, conceal, save.

Old Norse Hel (from Proto-Germanic *halija "one who covers up or hides something" ... Used in the KJV for Old Testament Hebrew Sheol and New Testament Greek Hades, Gehenna. ...” - hell | Etymology, origin and meaning of hell by etymonline

[B.] "*kel- (1)

Proto-Indo-European root meaning "to cover, conceal, save."

It forms all or part of: Anselm; apocalypse; Brussels; caliology; Calypso; calyx; ceiling; cell; cellar; cellular; cellulite; cellulitis; cilia; clandestine; cojones; coleoptera; color; conceal; eucalyptus; hall; hell; helm (n.2) "a helmet;" helmet; hold (n.2) "space in a ship below the lower deck;" hole; hollow; holster; housing (n.2) "ornamental covering;" hull (n.1) "seed covering;" kil-; kleptomania; occult; rathskeller; supercilious; Valhalla; William.

It is the hypothetical source of/evidence for its existence is provided by: Sanskrit cala "hut, house, hall;" Greek kalia "hut, nest," kalyptein "to cover," koleon, koleos "sheath," kelyphos "shell, husk;" Latin cella "small room, store room, hut," celare "to hide, conceal," clam "secret," clepere "to steal, listen secretly to;" Old Irish cuile "cellar," celim "hide," Middle Irish cul "defense, shelter;" Gothic hulistr "covering," Old English heolstor "lurking-hole, cave, covering," Gothic huljan "to cover over," hulundi "hole," hilms "helmet," halja "hell," Old English hol "cave," holu "husk, pod;" Old Prussian au-klipts "hidden;" Old Church Slavonic poklopu "cover, wrapping."" - - hell | Etymology, origin and meaning of hell by etymonline

WEBSTER’S 1828 DICTIONARY ONLINE:

"... HELL, noun

1. The place or state of punishment for the wicked after death. Matthew 10:28. Luke 12:5. ... 2. The place of the dead, or of souls after death; the lower regions, or the grave; called in Hebrew, sheol, and by the Greeks, hades. Psalms 16:10. Jonah 2:2. ..." - Websters Dictionary 1828 - Webster's Dictionary 1828 - Hell

WORD USAGE:

[A.]
"Roofs were usually covered with helling stones or slates from Cornwall. Some came from St. Dominick and Menhenniot, but the origin of most is unstated. Some of the helling stones for Plympton grammar school came from Cann quarry which is north of Plym bridge, but these may have been of an inferior quality." - Devon and Cornwall Record Society, Volumes 12-14 (1967), page xiv. - Devon and Cornwall Record Society

[B.] "The word "hell" replaced the Hebrew word "Sheol" and the Greek word "Hai'des". The Hebrew word "Sheol" is the common grave of mankind, not a fiery place of torture. The archaic English word "hell" was used as a replacement for "Sheol" and at the time, the word meant "to put under the ground" as in "helling potatoes" (Colliers Encyclopedia 1986 Volume 12, page 28) (Vine's Expository Dictionary Old and New Testament Words, 1981 Volume 2, page 187)." - God is Great: Bible Rebuttal to Christopher Hitchens by Peter James, page 63 - God Is Great

[C.] "... The English word "hell" was a word that the translators picked to express an idea or condition of the Hebrew word "sheol" or Greek words "hades", "gehenna", or "tartaroo", and sometimes instead of using the word "hell", they would use the word "grave" or "pit". One of the most interesting aspects of the word "hell"is that in the old English usage, it also meant "to conceal" or "to hide" or "to cover". Old English literature sometimes mentions the "helling of onions" or potatoes, and even tells of the "helling of a house", by covering it with thatch or wooden shingles." - Satan's Secret: Exposing the Master of Deception and the Father of Lies by D. A. Teunis, page 181 - Satan's Secret

[D.] “That place is a real ‘hell-hole’, as it is without light, or joy, being dark and hidden away.”

[E.] “Cover your head! Put on that Hel-met (helmet, literally a ‘hell met’, or head covering’).

Again the rest may be seen here -

or here - 13 Bible Studies, Prophecy, History, Theology, Legacy by brother Aaron Earnest : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Best go to the Bible (KJB) then:

QUESTION: WHAT DOES THE WORD “HELL” MEAN, OR WHAT IS THE DEFINITION OF “HELL”?

The Bible’s use of the word “hell” (54 times, KJB), translated from Hebrew & koine Greek, in general mean “pit”, “grave” or ‘place of outer darkness, or away from a source of light’:

[1] Hebrew “sheol” (H7586) - (65 times)

[A.] (31 times, “hell”)
Deuteronomy 32:22; 2 Samuel 22:6; Job 11:8, 26:6; Psalms 9:17, 16:10, 18:5, 55:15, 86:13, 116:3, 139:8; Proverbs 5:5, 7:27, 9:18, 15:11,24, 23:14, 27:20; Isaiah 5:14, 14:9, 28:15 (2),18, 57:9; Ezekiel 31:16-17 (2), 32:21,27; Jonah 2:2 (2); Habakkuk 2:5;

[B.] (30 times, “grave”) Genesis 37:35, 42:38, 44:29,31; 1 Kings 2:6 (2),9; Job 7:9, 21:13 (3), 24:19; Psalms 6:5, 30:3, 31:17, 49:14-15 (3), 88:3, 89:48; Proverbs 1:12, 30:16; Ecclesiastes 9:10; Song of Solomon 8:6; Isaiah 14:11, 38:10,18; Ezekiel 31:15; Hosea 13:14 (2);

[C.] (3 times, “pit”) Numbers 16:30,33; Job 17:16;

[D.] (1 times, “grave's”) Psalms 141:7

[2] Greek “Hades” (G86) - (11 times)

[A.] (10 times, “hell”)
Matthew 11:23, 16:18; Luke 10:15, 16:23; Acts 2:27,31; Revelation 1:18, 6:8, 20:13-14 (2);

[B.] (1 times, “grave”) 1 Corinthians 15:55

[3] Greek “Gehenna” (G1067) - (12 times, “hell”) Matthew 5:22, 29-30 (2), 10:28, 18:9, 23:15,33; Mark 9:43,45,47; James 3:5-6 (2)

[4] Greek “Tartaroo” (G5020) - (1 times, “hell”) 2 Peter 2:4, “ταρταρωσας”, a place of “outer darkness” (see also Matthew 8:12, 22:13, 25:30). The fallen angels, were “cast out” (Revelation 12:9) of Heaven, where all is light and glory (Revelation 21:23, 22:5), into the darkness between worlds (Hebrews 1:2, 11:3), what we call 'outer space', before satan came to the just newly created earth (Eze. 28:16-17; Luke 10:18; Jude 1:6), seeking allies in his continuing rebellion.

The Bible’s parallelism in either Hebrew or koine Greek, or English (KJB), shows us that the word, “hell” simply means “pit”, “grave”, a place of covering, and no light.

[A.] Isa_14:15 Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit.

[B.] Eze_31:16 I made the nations to shake at the sound of his fall, when I cast him down to hell with them that descend into the pit: and all the trees of Eden, the choice and best of Lebanon, all that drink water, shall be comforted in the nether parts of the earth.

[C.] Psa_30:3 O LORD, thou hast brought up my soul from the grave: thou hast kept me alive, that I should not go down to the pit.

[D.] Pro_1:12 Let us swallow them up alive as the grave; and whole, as those that go down into the pit:

[E.] Isa_14:19 But thou art cast out of thy grave like an abominable branch, and as the raiment of those that are slain, thrust through with a sword, that go down to the stones of the pit; as a carcase trodden under feet.

[F.] Isa_38:18 For the grave cannot praise thee, death can not celebrate thee: they that go down into the pit cannot hope for thy truth.

[G.] Eze_32:23 Whose graves are set in the sides of the pit, and her company is round about her grave: all of them slain, fallen by the sword, which caused terror in the land of the living.

[H.] Eze_32:24 There is Elam and all her multitude round about her grave, all of them slain, fallen by the sword, which are gone down uncircumcised into the nether parts of the earth, which caused their terror in the land of the living; yet have they borne their shame with them that go down to the pit.

[I.] Act_2:27 Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption. (see Psalms 16:10)

Act_2:31 He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption.

[J.] Psa 49:14 Like sheep they are laid in the grave; death shall feed on them; and the upright shall have dominion over them in the morning; and their beauty shall consume in the grave from their dwelling.

Psa 49:15 But God will redeem my soul from the power of the grave: for he shall receive me. Selah.

Psa 49:17 For when he dieth he shall carry nothing away: his glory shall not descend after him.

Psa 49:19 He shall go to the generation of his fathers; they shall never see light.

QUESTION: ISN’T THE WORD “HELL” ASSOCIATED WITH “FIRE”, AND NOT JUST “GRAVE”, “PIT” OR “DARKNESS”?

Yes, it is, but the two words “hell” and “fire” are separate and distinct things. The fire was already kindled by God, since the Noachian Flood (a type of the end-time final destruction; 2 Peter 3:6-8; Matthew 24:37-38; Luke 17:26), as the earth was broken up, and massive amounts of debris was buried in and under the nether parts of the earth (Job 26:5-6), and turned to ‘gas’, ‘coal’, ‘oil’ over time, and the friction of great weight of the plates of the earth, causing those things to heat, burn and explode (it’s where earthquakes, tsunami’s, volcanoes come from), is still burning to this day, and will be used to bring about the final destruction of satan, his fallen angels and all the finally impenitent (unrepentant), wicked.

[A.] Deu_32:22 For a fire is kindled in mine anger, and shall burn unto the lowest hell, and shall consume the earth with her increase, and set on fire the foundations of the mountains.

[B.] Rev_20:14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. (see also Matthew 5:22, 18:9; Mark 9:43,45,47; James 3:6)

.... from the Study on Hell, here - https://archive.org/details/study-11-the-7-th-day-or-the-1-st-day-why-is-there-so-much-confusion-and-disagre/STUDY 03 – DOES A LOVING %26 JUST GOD REALLY ETERNALLY TORTURE PEOPLE IN HELLFIRE FOR EVER AND EVER

The "file" on hellfire forever and ever could not be found, but I do appreciate the input, but are not fully in agreement.
J.

ReChoired

Nov 26, 2019
Region
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The "file" on hellfire forever and ever could not be found, but I do appreciate the input, but are not fully in agreement.
J.
See attachment.

Attachments

• STUDY 03 – DOES A LOVING & JUST GOD REALLY ETERNALLY TORTURE PEOPLE IN HELLFIRE FOR EVER AND E...pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 1

ReChoired

Nov 26, 2019
Region
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just download the study 03....

Who are these people on the Internet, a Church?
They are myself (AE), and the other is simply an elder (Ray) listed, at the church I preache/teach at (among others).

Here are my new links:

YOUTUBE: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCplWZcKcFd1tNbHYPS-5t9w

INTERNET ARCHIVE: User Account

PEARL TREES: adventageous

BITCHUTE: Adventageous

ODYSEE: Adventageous

RUMBLE: Its Adventageous

FACEBOOK: Alofa Atu

DISCORD: Discord - A New Way to Chat with Friends & Communities

DTUBE: DTube

BRAND NEW TUBE: Its Adventageous's Channel - Brand New Tube

VIMEO: Its Adventageous

VEOH: My Veoh

SPOTIFY: https://open.spotify.com/user/31537xxytku5ycuxklao6gzvnc2i

UTREON: Adventageous (@adventageous)

GABTV: Adventageous (@Adventageous) • gab.com

DAILYMOTION: Adventageous videos - Dailymotion

TUMBLR: Adventageous

TWITCH:

PARLER: https://parler.com/ItsAdventageous

ONLY FANS: https://onlyfans.com/u279642584

LINKED IN: https://www.linkedin.com/in/its-adventageous-164316255/

TWITTER: https://twitter.com/ItsAdventageous

INSTAGRAM: https://www.instagram.com/itsadventageous/

REDDIT: https://www.reddit.com/user/ItsAdventageous

OTHER:

Internet Archive Alternate 01: https://archive.org/details/@matthew_tenverseight

Internet Archive Alternate 02: https://archive.org/details/study-07-daniel-prophecies-overview-then-now-and-yet-to-come

Pearl Trees: https://www.pearltrees.com/awhn

Bitchute: https://www.bitchute.com/channel/7J70FWDkJ6Aj/

Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/user106084127

Veoh: https://www.veoh.com/users/HealThySoul

Dtube: https://d.tube/#!/c/supernaturalresources444

Brand New Tube: https://brandnewtube.com/channels/@SuperNaturalResources

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
They are myself (AE), and the other is simply an elder (Ray) listed, at the church I preache/teach at (among others)
@ReChoired I have found a solid, biblical site, thank you, but no thank you since I don't trust anything coming from YouTube

The Horror of Separation from God
How is it possible to describe the spiritual state of being banished from the presence of the supreme Being of the universe? Being alienated from Jehovah is the ultimate experience of horror. It is a separation from everything that is pure and good, everything that is right and wholesome, and everything that makes for joy and tranquility. It is, however, a spiritual experience, and since the human mind operates on the plane of the material, we really are not prepared to appreciate the gravity of such a circumstance. Hence, God has employed appropriate symbolism to describe the agonies of hell.

The spiritual abode of the wicked is a state of pain, trouble, and sorrow (Psalm 116:3). It is characterized by shame and contempt (Daniel 12:2), and is a realm of affliction (Jonah 2:2). Hell is a place of outer darkness where there is weeping and the gnashing of teeth (Matthew 25:30)—a sphere of eternal fire (Matthew 25:41) where the “worm” (a figure for gnawing anguish) does not die (Mark 9:48).

The wicked are described as being beaten with stripes (Luke 12:47-48). They are recipients of God’s wrath and indignation, they experience tribulation and anguish (Romans 2:8-9), and they suffer punishment as a manifestation of the Lord’s vengeance (2 Thessalonians 1:8-9). Hell is a place of utter torment, where no rest ever is known (Revelation 14:10-11).

While it would not be an expression of responsible exegesis to literalize the figures of speech cataloged above, one must never forget that the symbolism is designed to emphasize the terror of being abandoned by God. Moreover, the figures doubtless do not do justice to the actual reality of this eternal nightmare!

Is the Punishment Eternal in Duration?
A major objection to the doctrine of hell is its everlasting nature. Must the suffering go on without end? Is it really just for one to be punished forever when he or she has been devoted to evil for only a relatively brief span of time? Consider this question for a moment.

Is God just in granting eternal bliss to those who have served him only temporarily in this world? This writer never has heard the Lord charged with unfairness in this instance! It must be emphasized again that the issue is not one that can be determined with the subjective reasoning of biased human emotion. The Bible must supply the answer.

The Scriptures explicitly affirm the abiding nature of divine retribution. The shame and punishment of evil people will be everlasting (Daniel 12:2; Matthew 25:46). “Everlasting” literally means “always being.” Note its contrast with “temporal” in 2 Corinthians 4:18.

The claim is made, however, that “everlasting” does not always mean that which is absolutely unending in nature. True, but in all such cases we learn this not from the nature of the word itself, but from additional information in the Scriptures. The context always is the final judge of any word’s meaning.

In Matthew 25:46, the “eternal” punishment of the wicked is contrasted with the “eternal” life (i.e., communion with God) of the righteous. Here, clearly, both are unending in duration. Further, Jesus emphasized that in hell, the agony does not cease (Mark 9:48), and John notes that the smoke of the “torment” of hell’s inmates “goes up [the Greek present tense stresses continuous action] for ever and ever” (Revelation 14:11). Compare the duration of the blissful worship described in Revelation 4:8-10.

Also, the nature of the soul argues for eternal punishment.

You may read further....

ReChoired

Nov 26, 2019
Region
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@ReChoired I have found a solid, biblical site, thank you, but no thank you since I don't trust anything coming from YouTube

The Horror of Separation from God
How is it possible to describe the spiritual state of being banished from the presence of the supreme Being of the universe? Being alienated from Jehovah is the ultimate experience of horror. It is a separation from everything that is pure and good, everything that is right and wholesome, and everything that makes for joy and tranquility. It is, however, a spiritual experience, and since the human mind operates on the plane of the material, we really are not prepared to appreciate the gravity of such a circumstance. Hence, God has employed appropriate symbolism to describe the agonies of hell.

The spiritual abode of the wicked is a state of pain, trouble, and sorrow (Psalm 116:3). It is characterized by shame and contempt (Daniel 12:2), and is a realm of affliction (Jonah 2:2). Hell is a place of outer darkness where there is weeping and the gnashing of teeth (Matthew 25:30)—a sphere of eternal fire (Matthew 25:41) where the “worm” (a figure for gnawing anguish) does not die (Mark 9:48).

The wicked are described as being beaten with stripes (Luke 12:47-48). They are recipients of God’s wrath and indignation, they experience tribulation and anguish (Romans 2:8-9), and they suffer punishment as a manifestation of the Lord’s vengeance (2 Thessalonians 1:8-9). Hell is a place of utter torment, where no rest ever is known (Revelation 14:10-11).

While it would not be an expression of responsible exegesis to literalize the figures of speech cataloged above, one must never forget that the symbolism is designed to emphasize the terror of being abandoned by God. Moreover, the figures doubtless do not do justice to the actual reality of this eternal nightmare!

Is the Punishment Eternal in Duration?
A major objection to the doctrine of hell is its everlasting nature. Must the suffering go on without end? Is it really just for one to be punished forever when he or she has been devoted to evil for only a relatively brief span of time? Consider this question for a moment.

Is God just in granting eternal bliss to those who have served him only temporarily in this world? This writer never has heard the Lord charged with unfairness in this instance! It must be emphasized again that the issue is not one that can be determined with the subjective reasoning of biased human emotion. The Bible must supply the answer.

The Scriptures explicitly affirm the abiding nature of divine retribution. The shame and punishment of evil people will be everlasting (Daniel 12:2; Matthew 25:46). “Everlasting” literally means “always being.” Note its contrast with “temporal” in 2 Corinthians 4:18.

The claim is made, however, that “everlasting” does not always mean that which is absolutely unending in nature. True, but in all such cases we learn this not from the nature of the word itself, but from additional information in the Scriptures. The context always is the final judge of any word’s meaning.

In Matthew 25:46, the “eternal” punishment of the wicked is contrasted with the “eternal” life (i.e., communion with God) of the righteous. Here, clearly, both are unending in duration. Further, Jesus emphasized that in hell, the agony does not cease (Mark 9:48), and John notes that the smoke of the “torment” of hell’s inmates “goes up [the Greek present tense stresses continuous action] for ever and ever” (Revelation 14:11). Compare the duration of the blissful worship described in Revelation 4:8-10.

Also, the nature of the soul argues for eternal punishment.

You may read further....

Your 'site' is quite mistaken and takes verses out of context.

Psalms 116, speaks of David, who was alive and yet getting older (dying).

Psa 116:2 Because he hath inclined his ear unto me, therefore will I call upon him as long as I live.
Psa 116:3 The sorrows of death compassed me, and the pains of hell gat hold upon me: I found trouble and sorrow.
Psa 116:4 Then called I upon the name of the LORD; O LORD, I beseech thee, deliver my soul.

Your site misused the text.

Daniel 12:2 refers to the special resurrection:

Dan 12:2 And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.

Here are the related texts:

Daniel 12:2,12; Matthew 26:64; Mark 14:62; Revelation 1:7, 14:13, &c;

Daniel 12:2 does not say that the wicked experience eternal "shame". The text refers to what the righteous think of their wickedness (which comes to and end, as already cited).

Your 'site' misused the text.

Jonah 2, refers to the living Jonah, inside the belly of the sea creature:

Jon 2:1 Then Jonah prayed unto the LORD his God out of the fish's belly,
Jon 2:2 And said, I cried by reason of mine affliction unto the LORD, and he heard me; out of the belly of hell cried I, and thou heardest my voice.
Jon 2:3 For thou hadst cast me into the deep, in the midst of the seas; and the floods compassed me about: all thy billows and thy waves passed over me.
Jon 2:4 Then I said, I am cast out of thy sight; yet I will look again toward thy holy temple.
Jon 2:5 The waters compassed me about, even to the soul: the depth closed me round about, the weeds were wrapped about my head.
Jon 2:6 I went down to the bottoms of the mountains; the earth with her bars was about me for ever: yet hast thou brought up my life from corruption, O LORD my God.
Jon 2:7 When my soul fainted within me I remembered the LORD: and my prayer came in unto thee, into thine holy temple.
Jon 2:8 They that observe lying vanities forsake their own mercy.
Jon 2:9 But I will sacrifice unto thee with the voice of thanksgiving; I will pay that that I have vowed. Salvation is of the LORD.
Jon 2:10 And the LORD spake unto the fish, and it vomited out Jonah upon the dry land.

Jonah was still alive and breathing in the midst of the darkness. Again, refer to the definitions of "hell" from both the Bible and standard etymological defintion.

Your 'site' misued the text.

Matthew 25:30

Mat 25:29 For unto every one that hath shall be given, and he shall have abundance: but from him that hath not shall be taken away even that which he hath.
Mat 25:30 And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Notice, that the wicked doesn;t get to keep anything, and all is taken from him. The weeping and gnashing is found in Rev. 20, at the end, not upon death, when they are resurrected and outside of the New Jerusalem, and destroyed.

Your 'site' misued the text.

Matthew 25:41,46 refers to "everlasting fire" and "everlasting punishment".

The wicked do not get eternal life, not ever have it. The punishment, for sin, is torment unto death, to perish completely:

Rom_6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Joh 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Your 'site' misused the texts.

Mark 9:48, refers to the "worm" of their life, not torment.

(Job 25:6; Psalms 22:6; Isaiah 41:14; Micah 7:17)

See Study 3, already provided. I covered this text in some detail.

Your 'site' misused the texts.

Luke 12:47-48, refers to "few" and "many" (both limited in amount), not eternal beatings.

Luk_23:41 And we indeed justly; for we receive the due reward of our deeds: but this man hath done nothing amiss.

They suffered (limited) unto death. Jesus took many stripes, not endless stripes.

Romans 2:8-9 never speak of endless torment. it speaks of "wrath", which refers to the seven last plagues, which are limited in torment. Eventually they end.

2 Thessalonians 1:8-9

2Th 1:8 In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:
2Th 1:9 Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power;

Notice, the "destruction" is everlasting, not the torment. Destroyed for ever. Gone permanently.

Revelation 14:10-11, refers to the wrath of God. The wicked will have no way to escape that, since they rejected the way (John 14:6) out. The wicked will only have rest in death

Job_3:17 There the wicked cease from troubling; and there the weary be at rest.

The smoke going "up" in Revelation is a distance and height, not a time. Demonstrated already in study 3.

Matthew 25:46:

Mat 25:46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

Life is for the righteous only, not the wicked. So that means death is eternal for the wicked. So yes, it is everlasting punishment (not punishing, not eternal torment), for the wages of sin is torment unto 2nd death, from which there is no resurrection.

Your 'site' misunderstood the text.

As for the state of the dead see Study 2. (See attachment)

It's amazing. You refer to a worthless website, and not youtube where truth is in documentation? There's a Bible word for this.

Attachments

• STUDY 02 – HAUNTING SPIRITS, ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE - DEAD ON ARRIVAL.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

ReChoired

Nov 26, 2019
Region
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I place this single video, against your website and all their so called expertise. You have no idea what you are teaching or saying when you teach after that website. It destroys the Gospel itself. Don't believe me. See for yourself.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I think outer darkness is different from hell.
Of course it is different. Hell -- GEHENNA -- the Lake of Fire is located in "outer darkness". Since we now know that space is finite (not infinite as assumed before) it would be reasonable to conclude that there is a region OUTSIDE space called "outer darkness" and within this region is a Lake of Fire which corresponds to the Gehenna of the Bible. A place of eternal torment for the devil and his angels, along with all those who face Hell (though none need to go there).

The tile of this thread is totally misleading. Hades is NOT Hell, and the KJV translators had no business call it "hell". Hades is in "the lower parts of the earth" or "the heart of the earth" or somewhere near the core of the earth. This is where the unsaved go when they die. Meaning that their souls and spirits go to Hades to await their final judgment at the Great White Throne.

Then there is a place called "Tartarus" (which again was translated as "hell" in the KJV). This in proximity to Hades and is reserved for the evil angels who sinned before the Flood. They are now in "chains of darkness" also awaiting their final judgment.

Anyone who flippantly dismisses the existence of a real Hell (or a real Heaven) makes God and Christ liars. It is an extremely dangerous thing to play games with the Word of God. Then there are those who teach the false doctrine of Soul Sleep and Annihilationism. These are the cults, who twist the Scriptures to their own destruction.

Reactions: Johann

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Of course it is different. Hell -- GEHENNA -- the Lake of Fire is located in "outer darkness". Since we now know that space is finite (not infinite as assumed before) it would be reasonable to conclude that there is a region OUTSIDE space called "outer darkness" and within this region is a Lake of Fire which corresponds to the Gehenna of the Bible. A place of eternal torment for the devil and his angels, along with all those who face Hell (though none need to go there).

The tile of this thread is totally misleading. Hades is NOT Hell, and the KJV translators had no business call it "hell". Hades is in "the lower parts of the earth" or "the heart of the earth" or somewhere near the core of the earth. This is where the unsaved go when they die. Meaning that their souls and spirits go to Hades to await their final judgment at the Great White Throne.

Then there is a place called "Tartarus" (which again was translated as "hell" in the KJV). This in proximity to Hades and is reserved for the evil angels who sinned before the Flood. They are now in "chains of darkness" also awaiting their final judgment.

Anyone who flippantly dismisses the existence of a real Hell (or a real Heaven) makes God and Christ liars. It is an extremely dangerous thing to play games with the Word of God. Then there are those who teach the false doctrine of Soul Sleep and Annihilationism. These are the cults, who twist the Scriptures to their own destruction.
Well said
J.

Reactions: Enoch111

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Jonah 2, refers to the living Jonah, inside the belly of the sea creature:
Right you are, no cessation or soul sleep

Luk 16:19 There was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and fared sumptuously every day:
Luk 16:20 And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full of sores,
Luk 16:21 And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores.
Luk 16:22 And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;
Luk 16:23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
Luk 16:24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.
Luk 16:25 But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.
Luk 16:26 And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence.
Luk 16:27 Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house:
Luk 16:28 For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment.
Luk 16:29 Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.
Luk 16:30 And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent.
Luk 16:31 And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.

I have a problem when my bible says everlasting...and you don't.
J.