Hard Truth For Non Tongue Speakers

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
John 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: 13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.
the sons of God saw that the daughters of mankind were beautiful, and they took any they chose as wives for themselves.

they "believe" too i guess

18But someone will say, “You have faith and I have deeds.” Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds.
19Youbelieve that God is one. Good for you! Even the demons believe that, and shudder!
20O foolish man, do you want evidence that faith without deeds (
"belief") is worthless?…

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
but i guess it is fair to say that that experience is a...beginning one? One that pretty much every brand new Prot comes into contact with almost immediately, and deals with like day 1 as a newbie? Some religions even consider "Speaking in Tongues" to be a salvation requirement?
1Now I say that as long as the heira is a child, he differs in no way from a •slave, though he is the ownerb of everything.
2Instead, he is under guardians and stewards until the time set by his father.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Jesus commanded His disciples to make disciples of other believers.
can you Quote this? Seems intuitive, huh?
But earlier weren't you using the term "believers" to mean "disciples?"
again, i understand what you meant, but see my point if you will.
Jesus never commanded anyone to make disciples of other believers
wadr

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A lot of non tongue speakers usually avoid the issue and just show support while ignoring the unseen damage it does to some of the non-tongue speakers that may be asking why isn't the Holy Spirit making any intercessions for them? They may think that they do not have the Holy Spirit and by the testimonies of most tongues speakers, they may be tempted to seek to receive the Holy Spirit with evidence of tongues or by a sign of tongues apart from salvation when He is already in them as promised by faith in Jesus Christ; Galatians 3:14 & Galatians 3:26.

I have a brother a sister and a couple friends who practice this "angelic language" And yes, I avoid the issue altogether and will not challenge them on it.
My 1st non-Catholic Church, after just becoming born again by accepting our Savior and Lord. To me is was quite chaotic and confusing, and scary to me. I was so new and although I had heard of speaking in tongues, I had never HEARD it. I actually stayed there for about a year. Shortly after going there, I decided to go up for the altar call...the Pastor was blatantly and forcefully pushing on my forehead to "slay me in the Spirit"...I did not allow it to happen. Very shortly after that...I left that church and started to go to an Assembly of God Church. It was quite refreshing and ordered...very good teachings! And, even though at first, I thought there was something wrong with me because I never got the "tongues" or "slayed in the Spirit" (where is THAT one in scripture anyhow?) I did not give up and so glad I did not.
Good post @JesusIsFaithful
Blessings,
-nancy

Reactions: bbyrd009

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ah sorry, can you show me from the Lex? ty
http://biblehub.com/lexicon/john/1-12.htm
your "belief" began as "faith" in that v imo
i am aware that they share a synonym, but they are also considerably different
except in English i guess

a point here being that we have two defs for "belief" whereas Scripture really only has one

I know one can lose oneself in deciphering the meaning of the words by itself out of context of the message, and so one should see how the word is applied in what belief or faith once placed in, has achieved.

How about how any one can say that Jesus Christ is the Saviour if they are not saved yet? If we read verses in that light, we can see the intent of the message wherein He said many times that by believing in Him we are saved or have eternal life, and it is by not having believed in Him at all is how sinners will find that they were "already" condemned ( John 3:18 ), wouldn't we?

John 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

So see what believing in Him has achieved and then see what NOT believing in Him has revealed that they were already condemned. That would suggest that believing in Him has saved them from condemnation. Easy believism.

Course, discipleship is separate from salvation and those who desire to be received by the Bridegroom should run it as saved but for the high prize of our calling of being received as that vessel unto honor in His House to avoid being "damned" as that vessel unto dishonor in His House for not looking to Him as our Good Shepherd to help us lay aside every weight & sin and thus not departing from iniquity.

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the sons of God saw that the daughters of mankind were beautiful, and they took any they chose as wives for themselves.

they "believe" too i guess

The sons of God were of the lineage of Seth; of Israel's family tree. That godly lineage looked outside of that family line to other lines from Adam and Eve and took wives for themselves. Its significance cannot be missed in how it serves as an example and as a warning for Israel not to marry outside the nation of Israel.

18But someone will say, “You have faith and I have deeds.” Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds.
19Youbelieve that God is one. Good for you! Even the demons believe that, and shudder!
20O foolish man, do you want evidence that faith without deeds (
"belief") is worthless?…

It is worthless if someone's belief in His Providence tells you that God will provide the food and clothes you need to keep you from perishing just so they can get out of giving what you need. That is why that faith will not "profit" you nor "save" you for surely you can see that person's faith as worthless.

What James said in that second chapter cannot be applied to the faith in Jesus Christ for what He has done for our salvation which is why that faith is without works. James was specific about the kind of faith he was talking about and it was about faith in His Providence which those who profess that to others. especially the poor, should lead by example and not use it as an excuse to get out of helping the poor when they can.

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
surely you mean this differently than a child who "believes in" Santa Claus, right
but you could not...convince the child of that i guess :)

That is true that we cannot convince any one to believe in Jesus Christ. That is the Father's work. He knows whom would prefer to come to Him from those that prefer their evil deeds rather than come to Him to be reproved of them. So even our believing in Him is a work of God.

John 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. 19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. 20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved. 21 But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

That is why little children can come to Him for all they can do is trust the Lord at His word for how easy it is to be saved, but it is still on the Father to reveal His Son to them so they can believe in Him to be saved.

Matthew 11:25 At that time Jesus answered and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes. 26 Even so, Father: for so it seemed good in thy sight. 27 All things are delivered unto me of my Father: and no man knoweth the Son, but the Father; neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son, and he to whomsoever the Son will reveal him.

Mark 10:13 And they brought young children to him, that he should touch them: and his disciples rebuked those that brought them. 14 But when Jesus saw it, he was much displeased, and said unto them, Suffer the little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God. 15 Verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child, he shall not enter therein.

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
can you Quote this? Seems intuitive, huh?
But earlier weren't you using the term "believers" to mean "disciples?"
again, i understand what you meant, but see my point if you will.
Jesus never commanded anyone to make disciples of other believers
wadr

We see Him separating believing in Him from studying in the word to abide in Him in being His disciples in living a life of repentance; hence running that race.

John 8:30 As he spake these words, many believed on him. 31 Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed; 32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free. 33 They answered him, We be Abraham's seed, and were never in bondage to any man: how sayest thou, Ye shall be made free? 34 Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin. 35 And the servant abideth not in the house for ever: but the Son abideth ever. 36 If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.

He addressed His eleven disciples to teach others what He has commanded them.

Matthew 28:16 Then the eleven disciples went away into Galilee, into a mountain where Jesus had appointed them.17 And when they saw him, they worshipped him: but some doubted.18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. 19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: 20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

So discipleship is separate from salvation, otherwise, no one can see the Good News in Christ yet when following Him is for obtaining salvation.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
How about how any one can say that Jesus Christ is the Saviour if they are not saved yet? If we read verses in that light, we can see the intent of the message wherein He said many times that by believing in Him we are saved or have eternal life, and it is by not having believed in Him at all is how sinners will find that they were "already" condemned ( John 3:18 ), wouldn't we?
"believing in" Christ will get you to Nehushtan worship, at least; "faith" is a different concept imo. It is by not having faith that one is condemned, as the text supports. There is also "belief" in the Bible, 5 diff words for it, but in your example "faith" should obviously have been used, even if some English scribe translated "belief" there so we could all keep our santa claus religion and pray to god for outcomes etc

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"believing in" Christ will get you to Nehushtan worship, at least; "faith" is a different concept imo. It is by not having faith that one is condemned, as the text supports. There is also "belief" in the Bible, 5 diff words for it, but in your example "faith" should obviously have been used, even if some English scribe translated "belief" there so we could all keep our santa claus religion and pray to god for outcomes etc

John 3:8-21 testifies to me that our believing in Him is a work of God Himself.

It is the Father that reveals His Son to even the babes; as the religious people of the world has a hard time surrendering from their own works wherein they take pride in showing their zeal and fervor for God. Matthew 11:25-30

So believing in Christ is the same as believing Christ at His words which is all a child can do. Trust is the basis for all relationships and Nehustan worship has nothing to do with it.

In regards to Nehustan worship, in the origin of the brass serpent on the pole, it was commanded by God to make it and set in the center of the camp in the wilderness for any Hebrew to look to should they get bitten by a poisonous snake to avoid dying, and they would be healed.

The incident of Nehustan worship came about later when the Hebrew people were out of the wilderness and had been a nation of Israel for some time. It was then that they took the brass serpent and made it into an idol and served it as a "god". That was an affront to the God of Israel.

The reference to the Moses raising that serpent in the wilderness should testify to you of easy believism for salvation.

John 3:14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: 15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.

Did not those who looked to that brass serpent on the pole got healed immediately from the venomous bite? Was there any extra work required for that healing to take place? So looking to the Son in believing in Him is how any one has received eternal life.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
John 3:8-21 testifies to me that our believing in Him is a work of God Himself.
you reap what you sow regardless i guess
The reference to the Moses raising that serpent in the wilderness should testify to you of easy believism for salvation.
as in 'easy believism is approved?' Is that what you mean?
John 3:14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: 15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.
ha yes that is what you mean, huh
Did not those who looked to that brass serpent on the pole got healed immediately from the venomous bite?
Gee, they sure did i guess
Was there any extra work required for that healing to take place?
nope
So looking to the Son in believing in Him is how any one has received eternal life.
can't argue with the logic, i gotta admit. thanks for the help

Last edited:

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
you reap what you sow regardless i guess
If you are referring to how you live your reconciled relationship with God through Jesus Christ since you had been saved by having believed in Him, yes. That is what discipleship is all about, and not salvation. To prove that, let us look at why God wants churches to excommunicate.

1 Corinthians 5:11 But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolator, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat.

In 1 Corinthians 5:11, christians are not to eat with an unrepentant brother and so they are to be excommunicated as 1 Corinthians 5:4-5 dictates.

1 Corinthians 5:4 In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, when ye are gathered together, and my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ, 5 To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.

The Lord will excommunicate unrepentant saved believers from eating at the Supper table in Heaven with those saved believers abiding in Him as His disciples. Those left behind will reap the wages of sin which is death; physical death, hence the call to depart from iniquity before the Bridegroom comes.

Once they repent, they are allowed back in. Hence the call in living a life of repentance in discipleship wherein if we do not repent of an iniquity by the time the Bridegroom appears to take us to the Marriage Supper above, then guess what? We are excommunicated from attending the Marriage Supper.

Once that door is shut, no one can be received as that vessel unto honor in His House. Those left behind and new believers as a result after His appearing, and hearing the 1st angel spreading the everlasting gospel, there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth because of the loss of that first inheritance of being that vessel unto honor in His House to attend the Marriage Supper. They are damned to become vessels unto dishonor in that respect because they can never be that vessel unto honor in His House once that door to that celebration is shut in Heaven, but they are still in His House.

That is what the vessels unto dishonor attests to for why they are still in His House is the power of God in salvation for all who believe in Him, even in His name. Just because the works on that foundation is burned up, it does not mean that the foundation is destroyed; just the works on that foundation. So for those that remain defiled when the Bridegroom comes, then they run the risk of being left behind to incur physical death.

Revelation 2:21 And I gave her space to repent of her fornication; and she repented not. 22 Behold, I will cast her into a bed, and them that commit adultery with her into great tribulation, except they repent of their deeds. 23 And I will kill her children with death; and all the churches shall know that I am he which searcheth the reins and hearts: and I will give unto every one of you according to your works.

By the warning given to this church in Revelation, you can see God casting saved believers behind unto Satan for the destruction of their flesh as 1 Corinthians 5:4-5 says for the purpose of the church excommunicating an unrepentant believer so that the spirit may be saved from that defiled flesh.

So they are still saved; still redeemed; still adopted by the Father, but stripes will fall on His servants for not being ready by looking to Him as their personal Good Shepherd in helping them lay every weight & sin so they can be received by Him as the Bridegroom.

as in 'easy believism is approved?' Is that what you mean?

As in why it is easy believism for salvation because even little children are free to come to Him for salvation too and all they can do is trust the Lord.

ha yes that is what you mean, huh

Yes, John 3:14-15 pretty much proves how one is born again by coming to & believing in Jesus Christ for immediate salvation. Afterwards comes discipleship on living that saved new reconciled life with God through Jesus Christ as our Good Shepherd.

Gee, they sure did i guess
nope
can't argue with the logic, i gotta admit. thanks for the help

I hope the Lord has restored the joy of your salvation as well as inspire you to look to Him as your Good Shepherd to help you to follow Him in living that reconciled relationship with God through Jesus Christ in laying aside every weight & sin so that you may be fruitful and your joy may be full in Him.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Yes, John 3:14-15 pretty much proves how one is born again by coming to & believing in Jesus Christ for immediate salvation.
proof is always good i guess
I hope the Lord has restored the joy of your salvation as well as inspire you to look to Him as your Good Shepherd
ah well hopefully you see that i am more in like a "Jesus wept" mode than a "joy of my salvation" mode here at the moment, even if that is a back channel here, ya. Appreciate the advice though, ty

Guess we got the speaking in tongues thing pretty well nailed down herenow though huh :)
https://imgur.com/vTcoJqq
dang--the cast of "In Living Color"
forrest can you pls fix this image thing, i mean wth already

Last edited:

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Talking in Tongues: A BIBLE STUDY

I have taken the following verses out of the NKJ Bible that mention speaking in tongues. I will make comments after each group. My comments are my opinions about what they mean. You have the right to disagree but what I am posting is what I believe based on the given Scriptures.

Mark 16:17-18
17 "And these signs will follow those who believe: In My name they will cast out demons; they will speak with new tongues;
18 "they will take up serpents; and if they drink anything deadly, it will by no means hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover."
(NKJ)

My comments >> Some Churches teach that in verse 17 the tongues mentioned are a special language that only God knows. I don't believe that. I believe, that the tongues spoken about, is a person, miraculously, being able to talk in a foreign language. Some Churches teach that we must "take up serpents" in our hands to prove we are children of God. I don't believe this either. I remember well that one of the temptations that Satan tried to get Jesus to do was to tempt God by throwing Himself off of a cliff.

Acts 2:1-11
1 Now when the Day of Pentecost had fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.
2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven, as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled the whole house where they were sitting.
3 Then there appeared to them divided tongues, as of fire, and one sat upon each of them.
4 And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
5 And there were dwelling in Jerusalem Jews, devout men, from every nation under heaven.

Key verse; verse 6

6 And when this sound occurred, the multitude came together, and were confused, because everyone heard them speak in his ... "own language."

7 Then they were all amazed and marveled, saying to one another, "Look, are not all these who speak Galileans?
8 "And how is it that we hear, each in our own language in which we were born?
9 "Parthians and Medes and Elamites, those dwelling in Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia,
10 "Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya adjoining Cyrene, visitors from Rome, both Jews and proselytes,
11 "Cretans and Arabs-- we hear them speaking in our own tongues the wonderful works of God."
(NKJ)

Acts 10:44-48
44 While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit fell upon all those who heard the word.
45 And those of the circumcision who believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out on the Gentiles also.
46 For they heard them speak with tongues and magnify God. Then Peter answered,
47 "Can anyone forbid water, that these should not be baptized who have received the Holy Spirit just as we have?"
48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then they asked him to stay a few days.
(NKJ)

My comments >> The "tongues" mentioned in the above scriptures are people speaking in the language of a foreign nation. There is nothing above to indicate that the tongues are a special language of angels that men were speaking.

Acts 19:4-6
4 Then Paul said, "John indeed baptized with a baptism of repentance, saying to the people that they should believe on Him who would come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus."
5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.
6 And when Paul had laid hands on them, the Holy Spirit came upon them, and they spoke with tongues and prophesied.
(NKJ)

My comments >> The "tongues" mentioned in the above scriptures are people speaking in a foreign nations language. There is nothing above to indicate that the tongues are a special language of angels that men were speaking.

Cor 12:4-11
4 There are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit.
5 There are differences of ministries, but the same Lord.
6 And there are diversities of activities, but it is the same God who works all in all.
7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all:
8 for to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, to another the word of knowledge through the same Spirit,
9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healings by the same Spirit,
10 to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another discerning of spirits, to another different kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues.
11 But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually as He wills.

CONTINUED ON NEXT POST

Reactions: JesusIsFaithful

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Cor 12:28-31
28 And God has appointed these in the church: first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, varieties of tongues.
29 Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Are all workers of miracles?
30 Do all have gifts of healings? Do all speak with tongues? Do all interpret?
31 But earnestly desire the best gifts. And yet I show you a more excellent way.
(NKJ)

My comments >> The "tongues" mentioned in the above scriptures are people speaking in a foreign nations language. There is nothing above to indicate that the tongues are a special language of angels that men were speaking.

1 Cor 13:1-8
1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal.
2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.
3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing.
4 Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up;
5 does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil;
6 does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth;
7 bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
8 Love never fails. But whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away.
(NKJ)

My comments >> In 1 Cor 13:1-8 above someone could say that verse 1 means a special kind of language spoken by Angels. However, I believe Paul is using the tongues of men and tongues of angels as an ..."example" .. and is not referring to speaking in tongues. The key word is "THOUGH" which means
1. even if; supposing that; as, though he may fail, he will have tried. verse 1 paraphrased: "Supposing that" I should speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal.

1 Cor 14:1-23
1 Pursue love, and desire spiritual gifts, but especially that you may prophesy.
2 For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands him; however, in the spirit he speaks mysteries.
3 But he who prophesies speaks edification and exhortation and comfort to men.

4 He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the church.

5 I wish you all spoke with tongues, but even more that you prophesied; for he who prophesies is greater than he who speaks with tongues, unless indeed he interprets, that the church may receive edification.
6 But now, brethren, if I come to you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you unless I speak to you either by revelation, by knowledge, by prophesying, or by teaching?
7 Even things without life, whether flute or harp, when they make a sound, unless they make a distinction in the sounds, how will it be known what is piped or played?
8 For if the trumpet makes an uncertain sound, who will prepare himself for battle?
9 So likewise you, unless you utter by the tongue words easy to understand, how will it be known what is spoken? For you will be speaking into the air.

10 There are, it may be, so many kinds of languages in the world, and none of them is without significance.
Key verse; verse 10

CONTINUED ON NEXT POST

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My comment; Let us put 1 Cor. 14:1-10 in context. Please note that in verse 4 it says, "He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself," Also note that in verse 6 it says, "But now, brethren, if I come to you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you unless I speak to you either by revelation, by knowledge, by prophesying, or by teaching?" I ask you this, do you impart any new knowledge to the body of the Church, do you prophesy, do you impart any new knowledge to the Church? If you do not do any of these things then all you are doing is edifying yourself?

Verse 9 and 10 tells a lot about speaking in tongues. They indicate, to me, that what Paul is talking about is the languages of men in the world.

If a Missionary goes to a foreign land and can not speak in the language of the land how can he be understood?

11 Therefore, if I do not know the meaning of the language, I shall be a foreigner to him who speaks, and he who speaks will be a foreigner to me.
12 Even so you, since you are zealous for spiritual gifts, let it be for the edification of the church that you seek to excel.
13 Therefore let him who speaks in a tongue pray that he may interpret.
14 For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my understanding is unfruitful.
15 What is the conclusion then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will also pray with the understanding. I will sing with the spirit, and I will also sing with the understanding.
16 Otherwise, if you bless with the spirit, how will he who occupies the place of the uninformed say "Amen" at your giving of thanks, since he does not understand what you say?
17 For you indeed give thanks well, but the other is not edified.
18 I thank my God I speak with tongues more than you all;
19 yet in the church I would rather speak five words with my understanding, that I may teach others also, than ten thousand words in a tongue.
20 Brethren, do not be children in understanding; however, in malice be babes, but in understanding be mature.

21 In the law it is written: "With men of other tongues and other lips I will speak to this people; and yet, for all that, they will not hear Me," says the Lord.

22 Therefore tongues are for a sign, not to those who believe but to unbelievers; but prophesying is not for unbelievers but for those who believe.
23 Therefore if the whole church comes together in one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those who are uninformed or unbelievers, will they not say that you are out of your mind?
(NKJ)

My comments >> How is it a sign to unbelievers if they cannot understand the sign? There is nothing above to indicate that the tongues are not other national languages. In verse 10 and verse 21 Paul is talking about the languages of men spoken in the world.

With the advent of the printing press and the publishing of the scriptures in the languages of the world I see no reason for the necessity of speaking in a foreign language. I think that is what Paul meant when he said it would cease. 1 Cor 13:8
8 Love never fails. But whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away. (NKJ)

So you see that I do not believe in the babble that some would call speaking in tongues. If anyone has ever seen Robert Tilton on TV you will understand what I mean as babble. When the sounds you hear are the same practiced sounds, over and over again, I, personally, think they are just putting on a show to display themselves as being very religious.

Of course others have their own opinions and it is right to have them. But I do not believe that the "tongues" spoken of in the scriptures are anything other than the languages of men, and I have the right to my belief, just as those that disagree with me have theirs. Peace!

Written by H Richard

Reactions: JesusIsFaithful