Have a word for today? Post it here!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Psalm 86:10-12
10 "For thou art great, and doest wondrous things: thou art God alone.
11 Teach me thy way, O Lord; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name.
12 I will praise thee, O Lord my God, with all my heart: and I will glorify thy name for evermore.
"

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I received this word through our friend amadeus:

Peace!
And it comes from this verse:

"And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing." I Cor 13:2

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I received this word through our friend amadeus:

Peace!

Now that actually would be a great thing to do on this thread...I just 'took it' that @Triumph1300 had a thread for scriptures...but for us to just a thought that someone else blessed us with in reading their post...would be a great encouragement too.

( whispering quietly...)
The only trouble is...@Amadeus could then be tested by pride trying to trip him up....because it is for me , so often that I "get a word" of encouragement, blessing...even correction via his posts.

Great thought Philip...glad that you thought of doing that.
In the mornings , one of the first things that my hubby says to me is.."So what is the Lord saying to you today?"

That blessed me Philip....thanks for sharing..

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now that actually would be a great thing to do on this thread...I just 'took it' that @Triumph1300 had a thread for scriptures...but for us to just a thought that someone else blessed us with in reading their post...would be a great encouragement too.

( whispering quietly...)
The only trouble is...@Amadeus could then be tested by pride trying to trip him up....because it is for me , so often that I "get a word" of encouragement, blessing...even correction via his posts.

In the mornings , one of the first things that my hubby says to me is.."So what is the Lord saying to you today?"

Hi @"ByGrace" ! I too first thought it was for scripture only but how can you pick just one, lol. If I were, most "normal" days it would be, right before going out the door: Proverbs 3:6
In all your ways acknowledge Him,
And He shall direct your paths.

I am thinking that if I were to reply to every post on here that has blessed me, I would have carpal tunnel syndrome by now!! Lol...but, yes there are certain ones that speak to me in the moment, for sure.
:)

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I will show my children what I am about to do on this earth through My prophets. My prophets will arise with this proclamation, "Make way for the coming of Yehoshua. Prepare the way. Prepare your hearts. He will shake the heavens and he will shake the earth with his outstretched arm. This great shaking will usher in great revival. The churches whose foundations are not established on the rock of Yehoshua will fall. Many will be shocked at the churches who fall because those churches put up a good front, but refuse to live in holiness. I will expose the greed, the fornication, the adultery and the idolatry of these churches. There is a great shaking coming, and I will expose the sin. Repent before it is too late.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
A good word for the 'days' that we live in!!

2 Chron 20:12
"for we have no might against this great company that cometh against us; neither know we what to do: but our eyes are upon Thee."

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

( whispering quietly...)

Even so, Helen! At the worst of times as my flesh thinks it is the lust of the eyes and the lust of the flesh which are there before me, but then as those two are seemingly put behind me and I am thinking, 'I am doing so well', out jumps one a bad if not worse: The pride of life.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Prov 15:15
"All the days of the afflicted are evil, but he that is of a merry heart hath a continual feast."
But how difficult or easy is it to make the switch to...?

"And I will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years; take thine ease, eat, drink, and be merry.
But God said unto him, Thou fool, this night thy soul shall be required of thee: then whose shall those things be, which thou hast provided?" Luke 12:19-20

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And it comes from this verse:

"And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing." I Cor 13:2
Amadeus great verse, although I prefer what I call a more accurate version of it.....let me explain:

In 1 Corinth 13:1-13, I would prefer the use of the word ‘love’ over ‘charity,’ in all 6 places in this scripture passage. Over 75 percent of the translators of this passage, since 1500 AD have realized that it was a necessary replacement for the original Vulgate to old English to modern English word’ translation of the word ‘charity.’ And here’s my argument and points for using love over charity for this Greek word αγαπη:

1. The word ‘charity,’ its meaning is essentially about almsgiving; giving charitable donations, and mostly free materials to the poor or needy.

2. Now apply this word charity in 1 Corinth 13:3. It produces an obvious contradiction that cannot be ignored lightly. (1Co 13:3) And if I bestow all my goods to feed the poor and if I give my body to be burned, but do not have charity, it profits me nothing. (NEV).

Translation: If I give charity including my entire physical self, but do not have charity, I gain nothing. The verse then becomes nonsense.

3. The word ‘charity’ comes from the French charite, and in turn from the Latin charitas. This Latin word in turn, came from the Greek word χαρις, signifying grace or favor. For some deliberate reason, the Greek to Latin translators even ignored this Greek meaning and preferred to use the Latin word Charitas. This is derived from the meaning of scarcity, or being expensive in price, or being costly. This is the intent and meaning that was transferred in the Vulgate then Old English. So, a typical example of this thought is when hard times hit with scarcity and hunger, the poor is needy. If the Latin translators stayed with the Greek word χαρις, ‘with joy’ or ‘grace,’ then it would be readily seen as God’s grace that is bestowed in his love to those he loves and all the world. They reduced the meaning to ONLY MAN’s giving and not necessarily derived from God and his giving, as the source. They deprived God of his due and glory.

4. Charity has several meanings and I’ve pointed out the major one in point #3. These do not necessarily point to the actions of good or love from God, and only between people:

General love, being of good-will toward others, love to God, natural attraction to do love and kind things and of course almsgiving, as in point #1;

5. Now the word ‘love’ from Old English and the Teutonic folks is always to do, in spiritual matters, the supreme being, God Almighty. There is no vagueness. This spiritual love comes from one source, the pure and only communication mode of God Almighty.

6. The entire scripture section is about the way of love and not one of the byproduct of love called charity.

(1Co 13:1) If I speak with all the languages of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become like sounding brass, or a clanging cymbal.
(1Co 13:2) And if I have the gift of prophecy and know all mysteries, and all knowledge, and if I have all faith so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing.
(1Co 13:3) And if I bestow all my goods to feed the poor and if I give my body to be burned, but do not have love, it profits me nothing.
(1Co 13:4) Love suffers long, and is kind. Love envies not. It is not arrogant or rude, is not puffed up,
(1Co 13:5) does not behave itself inappropriately, is not self seeking, is not easily provoked, keeps no record of evil done,
(1Co 13:6) rejoices not in unrighteousness but rejoices with the truth;
(1Co 13:7) carries all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
(1Co 13:8) Love never fails; but whether there be prophecies, they shall be done away. Whether there be speaking in foreign languages, this shall cease. Whether there be the gift of knowledge, it shall be done away.
(1Co 13:9) For we know in part and we prophesy in part;
(1Co 13:10) but when that which is perfect comes, then that which is in part shall be done away.
(1Co 13:11) When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I felt as a child, I thought as a child. Now that I am a man, I have put away childish things.
(1Co 13:12) For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then shall I know fully, even as also I have been fully known.

Reactions: Mayflower and Nancy

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amadeus great verse, although I prefer what I call a more accurate version of it.....let me explain:

In 1 Corinth 13:1-13, I would prefer the use of the word ‘love’ over ‘charity,’ in all 6 places in this scripture passage. Over 75 percent of the translators of this passage, since 1500 AD have realized that it was a necessary replacement for the original Vulgate to old English to modern English word’ translation of the word ‘charity.’ And here’s my argument and points for using love over charity for this Greek word αγαπη:

1. The word ‘charity,’ its meaning is essentially about almsgiving; giving charitable donations, and mostly free materials to the poor or needy.

2. Now apply this word charity in 1 Corinth 13:3. It produces an obvious contradiction that cannot be ignored lightly. (1Co 13:3) And if I bestow all my goods to feed the poor and if I give my body to be burned, but do not have charity, it profits me nothing. (NEV).

Translation: If I give charity including my entire physical self, but do not have charity, I gain nothing. The verse then becomes nonsense.

3. The word ‘charity’ comes from the French charite, and in turn from the Latin charitas. This Latin word in turn, came from the Greek word χαρις, signifying grace or favor. For some deliberate reason, the Greek to Latin translators even ignored this Greek meaning and preferred to use the Latin word Charitas. This is derived from the meaning of scarcity, or being expensive in price, or being costly. This is the intent and meaning that was transferred in the Vulgate then Old English. So, a typical example of this thought is when hard times hit with scarcity and hunger, the poor is needy. If the Latin translators stayed with the Greek word χαρις, ‘with joy’ or ‘grace,’ then it would be readily seen as God’s grace that is bestowed in his love to those he loves and all the world. They reduced the meaning to ONLY MAN’s giving and not necessarily derived from God and his giving, as the source. They deprived God of his due and glory.

4. Charity has several meanings and I’ve pointed out the major one in point #3. These do not necessarily point to the actions of good or love from God, and only between people:

General love, being of good-will toward others, love to God, natural attraction to do love and kind things and of course almsgiving, as in point #1;

5. Now the word ‘love’ from Old English and the Teutonic folks is always to do, in spiritual matters, the supreme being, God Almighty. There is no vagueness. This spiritual love comes from one source, the pure and only communication mode of God Almighty.

6. The entire scripture section is about the way of love and not one of the byproduct of love called charity.

(1Co 13:1) If I speak with all the languages of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become like sounding brass, or a clanging cymbal.
(1Co 13:2) And if I have the gift of prophecy and know all mysteries, and all knowledge, and if I have all faith so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing.
(1Co 13:3) And if I bestow all my goods to feed the poor and if I give my body to be burned, but do not have love, it profits me nothing.
(1Co 13:4) Love suffers long, and is kind. Love envies not. It is not arrogant or rude, is not puffed up,
(1Co 13:5) does not behave itself inappropriately, is not self seeking, is not easily provoked, keeps no record of evil done,
(1Co 13:6) rejoices not in unrighteousness but rejoices with the truth;
(1Co 13:7) carries all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
(1Co 13:8) Love never fails; but whether there be prophecies, they shall be done away. Whether there be speaking in foreign languages, this shall cease. Whether there be the gift of knowledge, it shall be done away.
(1Co 13:9) For we know in part and we prophesy in part;
(1Co 13:10) but when that which is perfect comes, then that which is in part shall be done away.
(1Co 13:11) When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I felt as a child, I thought as a child. Now that I am a man, I have put away childish things.
(1Co 13:12) For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then shall I know fully, even as also I have been fully known.

I would prefer the use of the word ‘love’ over ‘charity <---- This is what I believe as well...probably read or heard it somewhere and it spoke to me and has stuck ever since....great post, as usual btw.

Reactions: Mayflower

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Im sorry APAK, you are incorrect . the latin charitas refers specifically to the love of God. And it is This english defininiton of charity to which we refer..

That English has changed to equate this primarily with giving is unsurprising...

Using charitas or charity rather than 'love' is to point out that you are referring to the love of God and not all the other conetations of the english word 'love'

Peace!

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Im sorry APAK, you are incorrect . the latin charitas refers specifically to the love of God. And it is This english defininiton of charity to which we refer..

That English has changed to equate this primarily with giving is unsurprising...

Using charitas or charity rather than 'love' is to point out that you are referring to the love of God and not all the other conetations of the english word 'love'

Peace!
That's one of the main points I made PJ. Latin translators chose to use 'charitas' that is actually more of an ambiguous term over the modern day meaning of 'love' (of God): charity can mean several things as you know, or maybe you don't know: for love of God, almsgiving and other meanings. It is usually associated with giving to the poor and needy today.

These translators did not have to use a differnt Greek word (using this imprecise word in this scripture passage), so most translators ensured it just meant the love (of God), not just with the emphasis of good will or love between men. You did read my post I gather? Now in some other places where this same Greek word for charity is used it is fitting to keep it as 'charity.' I do not want to expand this conversation much further, you can see what I mean when you look at all the NT verses where 'love' versus 'charity' is used effectively and accurately. You can tell easily by doing the usual context check.

I would not try to hang on to some idea if it is only for reasons of tradition or because it was the original or it was there changes were made. That would make one look like a little closed minded, right?

On this subject, if you do not like my explanation and words, there are many more 'regarded' scholars saying the same thing and in much more depth. I just let the spirit lead me to these commentaries and conclusions, well at least 50 percent of the time... :)

Bless you,

APAK

Reactions: Nancy

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
That's one of the main points I made PJ. Latin translators chose to use 'charitas' that is actually more of an ambiguous term over the modern day meaning of 'love' (of God): charity can mean several things as you know, or maybe you don't know: for love of God, almsgiving and other meanings. It is usually associated with giving to the poor and needy today.

These translators did not have to use a differnt Greek word (using this imprecise word in this scripture passage), so most translators ensured it just meant the love (of God), not just with the emphasis of good will or love between men. You did read my post I gather? Now in some other places where this same Greek word for charity is used it is fitting to keep it as 'charity.' I do not want to expand this conversation much further, you can see what I mean when you look at all the NT verses where 'love' versus 'charity' is used effectively and accurately. You can tell easily by doing the usual context check.

I would not try to hang on to some idea if it is only for reasons of tradition or because it was the original or it was there changes were made. That would make one look like a little closed minded, right?

On this subject, if you do not like my explanation and words, there are many more 'regarded' scholars saying the same thing and in much more depth. I just let the spirit lead me to these commentaries and conclusions, well at least 50 percent of the time... :)

Bless you,

APAK

My point is that the latin charitas is much more specific than the english word love. As was the english word charity until it morphed into what it is today...

Peace!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@APAK @Nancy @Philip James
Well after all my years with the KJV I am certainly not going to change. As a point of information the Spanish Reina Valera Bible version which is older than the KJV of 1611 used the word, "caridad" rather than common Spanish word for love of "amor". But that is just a point of information.

If we are going to look at versions or languages, consider what the English word, "love" has commonly come to mean today. It is regularly uses to mean "lust" or even "sexual intercourse" whereas "charity" has never meant that. In the use of "charity" in the context of I Corinthians 13, I never have trouble understanding the intended meaning. Changes in word meanings in modern language usage may well cause misunderstandings when a person reads the Bible, but for me I see the Bible as a dead carcass until it is brought to Life by the Holy Spirit in a person. It never has more than potential while it remains unread on the printed page. So ultimately the language or version makes little difference. God was the one who inspired the original writers in their own languages and without the Holy Spirit inspiring a reader or hearer I do not believe that God's message to men can be understood in any case. Some people do have better vision and hearing than others, but perhaps that is because they pay more attention to the Holy Spirit leading them and do not regularly quench the Holy Spirit in them. Of course, some Bible readers may being reading or hearing completely blind and deaf.

I will quote the following KJV verses to help get my point across:

"And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables?
He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.
For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath.
Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.
And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive:
For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.
But blessed are your eyes, for they see: and your ears, for they hear.
For verily I say unto you, That many prophets and righteous men have desired to see those things which ye see, and have not seen them; and to hear those things which ye hear, and have not heard them." Matt 13:12-17

For the ones able to understand, Jesus was the interpreter... that is He was their "eyes to see" and their "ears to hear". For us today the interpreter, the "eyes to see" and the "ears to hear" is the Holy Spirit. Again, without the interpreter there can be no correct interpretation. That is how I understand it.

Reactions: Nancy and Helen