Have a word for today? Post it here!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@APAK @Nancy @Philip James
Well after all my years with the KJV I am certainly not going to change. As a point of information the Spanish Reina Valera Bible version which is older than the KJV of 1611 used the word, "caridad" rather than common Spanish word for love of "amor". But that is just a point of information.

If we are going to look at versions or languages, consider what the English word, "love" has commonly come to mean today. It is regularly uses to mean "lust" or even "sexual intercourse" whereas "charity" has never meant that. In the use of "charity" in the context of I Corinthians 13, I never have trouble understanding the intended meaning. Changes in word meanings in modern language usage may well cause misunderstandings when a person reads the Bible, but for me I see the Bible as a dead carcass until it is brought to Life by the Holy Spirit in a person. It never has more than potential while it remains unread on the printed page. So ultimately the language or version makes little difference. God was the one who inspired the original writers in their own languages and without the Holy Spirit inspiring a reader or hearer I do not believe that God's message to men can be understood in any case. Some people do have better vision and hearing than others, but perhaps that is because they pay more attention to the Holy Spirit leading them and do not regularly quench the Holy Spirit in them. Of course, some Bible readers may being reading or hearing completely blind and deaf.

I will quote the following KJV verses to help get my point across:

"And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables?
He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.
For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath.
Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.
And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive:
For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.
But blessed are your eyes, for they see: and your ears, for they hear.
For verily I say unto you, That many prophets and righteous men have desired to see those things which ye see, and have not seen them; and to hear those things which ye hear, and have not heard them." Matt 13:12-17

For the ones able to understand, Jesus was the interpreter... that is He was their "eyes to see" and their "ears to hear". For us today the interpreter, the "eyes to see" and the "ears to hear" is the Holy Spirit. Again, without the interpreter there can be no correct interpretation. That is how I understand it.

Awesome post...I usually do not read long posts...guess it depends on the poster! My first bible (other than the Psalms/Proverbs from the CC as a kid, was a King James bible...simply titled The Word. I have so many pages highlit, it doesn't even matter, lol! But, when I think of verses in my head, it is always the KJV...not that I hail it as above and beyond all other translations.

Reactions: Mayflower

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But how difficult or easy is it to make the switch to...?

"And I will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years; take thine ease, eat, drink, and be merry.
But God said unto him, Thou fool, this night thy soul shall be required of thee: then whose shall those things be, which thou hast provided?" Luke 12:19-20

Well put! Iv'e either heard or read this saying awhile back but, never forgot it "If you scratch the surface of any sin, the 1st thing you discover is pride" Hmmm...Just a thought :)

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Something to think about:

I heard a story about a rather pompous-looking deacon who was trying to impress upon a class of boys the importance of living the Christian life.

'Why do you think people call me a Christian?' the man asked.

After a moment's pause, one youngster said, 'Maybe it's because they don't know you.'

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I heard a story about a rather pompous-looking deacon who was trying to impress upon a class of boys the importance of living the Christian life.

After a moment's pause, one youngster said, 'Maybe it's because they don't know you.'
:D:D:D:D

Reactions: Triumph1300

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Well that one is an "Ouch". :)

Reactions: Triumph1300

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Then comes the end.

But concerning that day or that hour, no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. Be on guard, keep awake. For you do not know when the time will come. . . . And what I say to you I say to all: Stay awake.”—The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance.—The coming of the Lord is at hand. . . . Behold, the Judge is standing at the door.—“Surely I am coming soon.”

Since all these things are thus to be dissolved, what sort of people ought you to be in lives of holiness and godliness.

The end of all things is at hand; therefore be self-controlled and sober-minded for the sake of your prayers.—“Stay dressed for action and keep your lamps burning, and be like men who are waiting for their master to come home from the wedding feast, so that they may open the door to him at once when he comes and knocks.”

1 Cor. 15:24; Mark 13:32, 33, 37; 2 Pet. 3:9; Jas. 5:8, 9; Rev. 22:20; 2 Pet. 3:11; 1 Pet. 4:7; Luke 12:35, 36