Have you been baptised correctly?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
No he didn't, we did.

He told us to baptize in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.

Since when has 'father' been a name? it isn't, it is a title.

Since when has 'son' been a name? It isn't, it is a title.

Since when has 'Holy Spirit' been a name? It isn't, it is a title.

As everything else in the New Testament was done in the name of Jesus, it is logical to baptise in the same name, not three titles.

And you have never read in the bible where Jesus publicly address Almighty God as 'Father'

Father can be both a name and a title. As can Son and Spirit.
Those of us who use these titles as names do so on the bases that Jesus told us to do so.

Even if we have got it wrong do you really think that a God who loves us enough to send his Son, Jesus, to die for us is going to quibble about something done incorrectly, but is an attempt in all sincerity to do the right thing?

Ultimatly we worship in Spirit, not in what ever rites we have developed.

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
And you have never read in the bible where Jesus publicly address Almighty God as 'Father'

Father can be both a name and a title. As can Son and Spirit.
Those of us who use these titles as names do so on the bases that Jesus told us to do so.

Even if we have got it wrong do you really think that a God who loves us enough to send his Son, Jesus, to die for us is going to quibble about something done incorrectly, but is an attempt in all sincerity to do the right thing?

Ultimatly we worship in Spirit, not in what ever rites we have developed.

I don't read anywhere in the New Testament Jesus saying this is what I want you to do but it is up to you if you do it. As I understand it, if we love him, we keep his commandments. The word commandment does not suggest a take it or leave it concept and love and commandments are synonymous with each other. As they say in the song, you can't have one without the other (Love and Marriage)

As for your father being a name and a title, not in my book as a teacher of English.

And as for Jesus dying for us I guess he doesn't want us to quibble over whether he did or he didn't.

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Now you are just wanting to be difficult or argumentative here, bordering on the ridiculous. The name of Jesus, in his name, comes from the heart and into the mind first before being spoken or not spoken using vocal chords. I would think that being ‘spoken’ in the mind only is sufficient! Of course, to ensure your standard is met, to cover all bases, it can also be written down, if that person could write and read having vision and hands to do so. I would think Christ would get the message and intent.

APAK
Off topic but relevant. Spoken prayer is not the only sort that God hears. When I did a study of the nature of God I realised that as he knows the thoughts and intent of the heart if I think something then God hears it. And if God can do that and we are told to go into your closet to pray in secret, verbal prayer is not essential.

So whoever is baptising us whatever form of communication he uses God hears.

One young man who came to our time of prayer could not pray verbally because of shyness so I told him this so he took part by praying silently. I didn't hear it but God did so that is all that mattered.

Reactions: APAK

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So when I read a verse like this below:

Mark 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

Mark is referring to the baptism of the Holy Ghost that is promised to all those that believe in Him to be saved.

and this verse below..

1 Peter 3:21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:

Not water baptism when water is used in putting away the filth of the flesh, but the baptism of the Holy Ghost as that promise comes at our salvation by the answer of a good conscience towards God by believing in Jesus Christ and in His resurrection.

1 Peter 3:21 is preceded by 1 Peter 3:20; which makes it clear that the baptism that now saves us is immersion in water; for Noah and his crew were saved by water.

Believers are not to use the Holy Spirit to relate to God by, because He is not serving us as the Spirit of the bride Godward. The Bridegroom relates to us through the Holy Spirit in us ( John 16:13-15 ), but since the Holy Spirit is being the Spirit of Christ, our response is to the Bridegroom Himself at that throne of grace for it is by the Son we have access to the Father in Heaven as well ( John 14:6 & John 10:1 ). Click on scriptures to see the words.

See Ephesians 2:18--the Holy Spirit is a major part of our access to the Father.

If the person baptizing you couldn't speak, you would really be in trouble come judgement day...…. "The proper words weren't spoken... I never knew you!!!"

Our God is a God who heals the deaf and dumb...and also, usually, the person who baptizes does so as a result of you having received the gospel message...therefore if the gospel message has been preached, it would be foolish to get someone who is deaf and dumb to do the baptizing who is not the pastor who preached the message...there is obviously someone who is capable of invoking the name of Jesus in the person's baptism.

Where, exactly?

Last edited:

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Colossians 3:17 is of relevance to this discussion, if you are a pastor.

And whatsoever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God even the Father by him.

For baptizing new converts is something that you do in word and deed.

Last edited: