Have you fasted before?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

jesusfreak0829

Nov 23, 2013
Hey all. I want to bring you a question that has been on my heart lately. Fasting. Have you ever done a fast, and if so, how long did you do it for and what were your results?

I've only been able to complete a 2 day fast so far. I'm planning to do another one soon. I just wanted some testimonies of those who have fasted.

day

Aug 2, 2012
Idaho, USA
I have fasted many times in the past, but only for one day at a time. I found it helps to clear the mind and enable me to be more aware of God's presence. I did it to draw closer to God, not for a specific request.

There is a book called "Fasting" by Jentezen Franklin. The back cover says it covers types of fasts described in the Bible and how to choose which is right for you, the connection between fasting and prayer, the essential components of a successful fast, and what to expect physically, mentally and spiritually. I have found it a good reference. Fasting is no longer taught in churches so you end up pretty much on your own unless you have an older mentor.

laid renard

Apr 2, 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada
I fasted once for a week. And several 3 day fasts. I've done so not for a certain outcome, except to cleanse out my temple for the Holy Spirit.

You do really think much clearer afterwards and can concentrate better when studying the Word.

If it's been in your heart lately maybe that's the Holy Spirit nudging you.

Once I fasted for 2 days for a specific reason. And God was kind. :)

Like always. :wub:

Dan57

Sep 25, 2012
Illinois
Faith
Country
United States
This year I fasted for 2 days.... Last year I fasted for 4 days, and lost 5 lbs.
No specific reason for doing so, just exercising self-control over the flesh.
After 4 days, I started feeling weak and got dizzy, so I wouldn't recommend
going longer than that because its probably not healthy. I just figured that if
Jesus went 40 days, I could do one-tenth of that. Don't know how he went
40 days.. Talk about bringing your flesh under complete subjection. My spirit
is weak, my flesh is strong :)

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
jesusfreak0829 said:
Hey all. I want to bring you a question that has been on my heart lately. Fasting. Have you ever done a fast, and if so, how long did you do it for and what were your results?

I've only been able to complete a 2 day fast so far. I'm planning to do another one soon. I just wanted some testimonies of those who have fasted.
NOPE

Tried it once but I prefer to be a fat and lazy North American Christian :)

Actually I am not fat , but you get my meaning.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Lol Arnie! I have fasted a couple of times for three days at a time and found that on the second day there's a real struggle between soul and spirit. On the third day, I seem to have clarity and can pray and get clear revelation from God.
Someone at work once said that a person can only last up to 2 weeks without food before dying... I didn't believe him so I tested out his theory and fasted for 17 days without food...only half a glass of water per day....still alive :)

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
Angelina said:
Lol Arnie! I have fasted a couple of times for three days at a time and found that on the second day there's a real struggle between soul and spirit. On the third day, I seem to have clarity and can pray and get clear revelation from God.
Someone at work once said that a person can only last up to 2 weeks without food before dying... I didn't believe him so I tested out his theory and fasted for 17 days without food...only half a glass of water per day....still alive :)
Now my truth will come out

I am not Catholic but i feel like I am at a confessional

I have been a Christian for over 27 years , I live a clean and modest lifestyle , I have only one so called "flaw" I wish I could overcome.

I smoke cigarettes .... I am a true addict and absolutely cannot quit , I am talking 30-50 cigarettes a day for 40 years.

I often think a week of fasting and praying might be the trick .... except I would have to also give up the cigarettes for the week .... which I am unable to do ..... thus I cannot fast and pray to stop smoking ... weird Eh !!!!.

I find the addiction interesting .... I could care less if I run low on food , or have no food , I could handle that quite easily for a while ..... but I absolutely make sure I never run low on cigarettes .... if I had to choose between eating or smoking I would choose smoking every time !!!!!

To me , starving to death would be a piece of cake compared to going without cigarettes.

7angels

Aug 13, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the longest fast i have been on was for 45 days preparing for an open heavens meeting. but fasting is not just going without food. fasting couldbe anything. i have known people who fasted meat or sugar or smoking or even fasting one meal a day.

God bless

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
A fast strengthens your spirit. You might be surprised by your resolve while fasting.

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
This is a really interesting topic...one that I've wondered about for some time. There really doesn't seem to be much teaching on the subject...at least not in the somewhat conservative cirlces I was brought up in.
We see a lot of fasting in the OT...not so much in the NT....but there is this passage:

Then the disciples of John came to him, saying, “Why do we and the Pharisees fast, but your disciples do not fast?” And Jesus said to them, “Can the wedding guests mourn as long as the bridegroom is with them? The days will come when the bridegroom is taken away from them, and then they will fast. (Matthew 9:14-15, ESV)

Is this Jesus saying we should fast in the period he is gone? What is fasting supposed to look like? It is an absence of food...or an absence of things that distract us from focusing on him... Is a week without electrical gadgets a 'fast'? What is a fast supposed to achieve...spiritual closeness with Christ?

I just don't know really....it's never something that was discussed....but I have been curious about it...

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
I have always been curious about fasting..... like what is the purpose (biblically)

I kinda understand a christian going without eating to "overcome the flesh" .... or to build up resolve .... or "overcome temptations" .... but other than that I fail to see what it accomplishes.

To me it amounts to saying ..... "go without eating and you will be a better christian" ... What about the good christian who eats like a horse ??

Mostly I have always been curious about what Jesus said ..... i think he was talking about certain demons when he said .... "these can only be cast out by fasting and prayer "

Never could figure that one out !!!!!!

I dont think the demons consume the food we eat.

Anyone here ever fasted and had it actually accomplish anything ???

I know people who have fasted a lot and their lives are pretty much still the same .

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
The reasons for the prophets fasting is a bit ambiguous to me also. When a fast was declared in Nineveh it was done in desperation to draw nearer to God.

I see no value to fasting except if you want to draw nearer to God. Then while your near to God you can make your prayer requests most effectively.

It isn't really about the eating, but depriving the flesh of what it wants. The flesh will become quiet and it gives your spirit a greater influence.

I think the demon Jesus was talking about is commonly known as Epilepsy today. The prayer and fasting is for God to cure the disease.

Fasting is 100% effective at getting God's attention and will not go unrewarded. Just be careful that the reward isn't in the praises of your fellow Christians.

ezekiel

Aug 14, 2013
Faith
Country
United States
if you wish to fast a better understanding of the mind of the most high and christ can be found in

Isaiah 58

Dan57

Sep 25, 2012
Illinois
Faith
Country
United States
7angels said:
the longest fast i have been on was for 45 days preparing for an open heavens meeting. but fasting is not just going without food. fasting couldbe anything. i have known people who fasted meat or sugar or smoking or even fasting one meal a day.

God bless
That really isn't healthy or a safe thing to do. Most doctors would caution against it. Starvation can severely weaken the heart muscles of vital proteins and cause serious issues down the road. Its what killed Karen Carpenter at the age of 32. Going +6 weeks without food sounds more like anorexia than fasting. JMO

7angels

Aug 13, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rach said:
This is a really interesting topic...one that I've wondered about for some time. There really doesn't seem to be much teaching on the subject...at least not in the somewhat conservative cirlces I was brought up in.
We see a lot of fasting in the OT...not so much in the NT....but there is this passage:

Then the disciples of John came to him, saying, “Why do we and the Pharisees fast, but your disciples do not fast?” And Jesus said to them, “Can the wedding guests mourn as long as the bridegroom is with them? The days will come when the bridegroom is taken away from them, and then they will fast. (Matthew 9:14-15, ESV)

Is this Jesus saying we should fast in the period he is gone? What is fasting supposed to look like? It is an absence of food...or an absence of things that distract us from focusing on him... Is a week without electrical gadgets a 'fast'? What is a fast supposed to achieve...spiritual closeness with Christ?

I just don't know really....it's never something that was discussed....but I have been curious about it...
a fast can be any thing you choose. it could be praying 15 minutes additional a day or cutting TV time down to an 1 or 2 hours a day. all fasting is just giving something up be it time, money, food, or whatever to seek after God. many people fast for answers from God or preparing for a spiritual event. i have found that the tougher a fast is for me the faster answers come and the presence of God just shows up. well i hope this answered your questions and if you still have some then feel free to ask.

God bless

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
7angels said:
a fast can be any thing you choose. it could be praying 15 minutes additional a day or cutting TV time down to an 1 or 2 hours a day. all fasting is just giving something up be it time, money, food, or whatever to seek after God. many people fast for answers from God or preparing for a spiritual event. i have found that the tougher a fast is for me the faster answers come and the presence of God just shows up. well i hope this answered your questions and if you still have some then feel free to ask.

God bless
Its certainly given me something to think on, so thank you!

John 8:32

Jan 6, 2012
Isn't fasting refusing both food and water for the period of the fast?

Est 4:16 "Go, gather all the Jews who are present in Shushan, and fast for me; neither eat nor drink for three days, night or day. My maids and I will fast likewise. And so I will go to the king, which is against the law; and if I perish, I perish!"

Marital realtions also...

1Co 7:5 Do not deprive one another except with consent for a time, that you may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again so that Satan does not tempt you because of your lack of self-control.

SolaGratia

Dec 24, 2013
Northwest Washington State
I find breaking the fast to be a challenge. After not eating for two or three days and drinking only water, my body definitely isn't ready for a big greasy burger . . . or a lot of other things. It's usually something bland like scrambled eggs, toast, and non-citrus juice. Although hungry, the stomach is pretty sensitive at that point.