Hearing God

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And how does one distinguish between the two? The Pharisees did have the scriptures available to them and knew them very well as they were written. Why did they not understand what they knew?

One way is fruitfulness.
You missed my real question, I guess. There are people who know the scriptures very well, but know God scarcely or even not at all. The apostle Paul was like that before he met Jesus on the road to Damascus. He was a Bible scholar and a Pharisee, but he did not know, did not recognize Jesus until Jesus identified himself to him:

"And he said, Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest: it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks" Acts 9:5

Then in spite of his knowledge of the scriptures it was several years before Paul was ready for the work God had for him to do. Just reading the scriptures and studying may be a good thing, but Saul/Paul knew them well and went about persecuting true believers, having then beaten, tortured and killed... until he met Jesus. This was the key that I see... meeting Jesus. How does one do that?

You know you've been receiving from God when your love for others increases.

The pharisees seemed to show a lack of love for others. Jesus was quite the counterpoint. They went around collecting disciples to themselves. John the Baptizer said that he must decrease so Jesus would increase. The Pharisees wanted Jesus to decrease so they could increase. And this is not what it looks like what someone comes to the Word with an honest heart.
Yes, the Pharisees, including Saul/Paul did that and Jesus was quite the counterpoint. How did that change in Paul... for it surely did change?

As you say those knowledgeable but selfish Pharisees had it upside down. They refused to hear the words of the Baptizer and "come... with an honest heart":

"But when Paul perceived that the one part were Sadducees, and the other Pharisees, he cried out in the council, Men and brethren, I am a Pharisee, the son of a Pharisee: of the hope and resurrection of the dead I am called in question." Acts 23:6

"No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day." John 6:44

"Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled." Matt 5:6

Reactions: WalterandDebbie

Not me

May 8, 2019
California, Ca.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
8-27-19

All of us have a great need to hear that "still small voice" of God so that we can receive His guidance and know more about the plan He has for our lives. We need communication with Him all through the day-allowing Him to speak to us by placing His thoughts in our minds.

I for number one, need to hear Him teach us as we read the scriptures. We need to seek to hear Him much as a child seeks the guidance of a parent. If we are to hear God, we must humble ourselves as a little child. We try so hard to be sophisticated adults not realizing that God desires for us to be "as little children".

I do not think, He does not look upon His people as sophisticated adults-if we are Christians, we are "children of God". Of course, older children can become rebellious, but little children are naturally trusting, teachable and submissive to their parents. Is that the way you are with your heavenly Father? Or, are you a sophisticated adult?

I also think that, God wants His people to be responsible for what they say and do, but He wants them to be as little children in their hearts. Jesus said, "Anyone who humbles him/or herself as this little child is the greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven" Matthew 18:4

The desire to be sophisticated adults makes it difficult to humble ourselves as a little child. But the way to hear God in my experience, is through an ongoing Father-child relationship. We need that "Abba Father" relationship that the bible calls the spirit of adoption or the spirit of son/daughter-ship. Romans 8:15

We need to "work out our salvation" with fear (reverential awe) and trembling as we draw closer and closer to our heavenly Father. With trusting, teachable and submissive attitude, we can establish that communication that's comes out of a genuine fear of the Lord as we receive His love; and with praise and thanksgiving, return His love.

Love Always, Walter

I think there can be no higher instruction than to point believers to their own Spirit of Christ in them.

May God grant you fruit upon fruit.

Be blessed in Christ, Not me

JohnPaul

Soldier of Jehovah and Christ
Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
8-27-19

All of us have a great need to hear that "still small voice" of God so that we can receive His guidance and know more about the plan He has for our lives. We need communication with Him all through the day-allowing Him to speak to us by placing His thoughts in our minds.

I for number one, need to hear Him teach us as we read the scriptures. We need to seek to hear Him much as a child seeks the guidance of a parent. If we are to hear God, we must humble ourselves as a little child. We try so hard to be sophisticated adults not realizing that God desires for us to be "as little children".

I do not think, He does not look upon His people as sophisticated adults-if we are Christians, we are "children of God". Of course, older children can become rebellious, but little children are naturally trusting, teachable and submissive to their parents. Is that the way you are with your heavenly Father? Or, are you a sophisticated adult?

I also think that, God wants His people to be responsible for what they say and do, but He wants them to be as little children in their hearts. Jesus said, "Anyone who humbles him/or herself as this little child is the greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven" Matthew 18:4

The desire to be sophisticated adults makes it difficult to humble ourselves as a little child. But the way to hear God in my experience, is through an ongoing Father-child relationship. We need that "Abba Father" relationship that the bible calls the spirit of adoption or the spirit of son/daughter-ship. Romans 8:15

We need to "work out our salvation" with fear (reverential awe) and trembling as we draw closer and closer to our heavenly Father. With trusting, teachable and submissive attitude, we can establish that communication that's comes out of a genuine fear of the Lord as we receive His love; and with praise and thanksgiving, return His love.

Love Always, Walter

Thank you for this post, I speak and listen to God every day, just today I was saying to myself, God has bigger things planned for me.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
8-27-19

Love Always, Walter
Good post; and yes, Romans 8 is so searching...

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@farouk
You may enjoy your inked feet, but I do wish you would keep such pictures on your own computer or at least on the threads you have dedicated to that purpose. To me it is the appearance of evil, no matter what words are inked. Sorry to press this issue here, but if I or someone doesn't mention it you will do it again. If it were in the church building/assembly I attended I simply wouldn't go back, but I do not want to quit this forum. Please help on this point. Thank you!
Hearing from God often comes in diverse ways.
Some might be spared from a curse if they learn to hear God, and obey Him.