Heb 10:26-31 Study

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
26 If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left,
27 but only a fearful expectation of judgment and of raging fire that will consume the enemies of God.
28 Anyone who rejected the law of Moses died without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses.
29 How much more severely do you think a man deserves to be punished who has trampled the Son of God under foot, who has treated as an unholy thing the blood of the covenant that sanctified him, and who has insulted the Spirit of grace?
30 For we know him who said, "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," and again, "The Lord will judge his people."
31 It is a dreadful thing to fall into the hands of the living God. (Heb 10:26-31 NIV)

Hello everyone. I did a personal study on these passages tonight. It took me a lot of time and effort to really dive into this one. I see these passages specifically referring to non believing Jews in Israel. Let me give you my break down word for word, and let me know what you think.

26 - If we deliberately keep on sinning - This refers to nonbelievers, not believers. Rom 6:14 NIV, 1 John 3:6 NIV, 1 John 3:9 NIV, 1 John 5:18 NIV.
26 - the knowledge of the truth - Nonbelievers are known to have the knowledge of God, the knowledge of truth Rom 1:18 NIV, Rom 1:25 NIV, Rom 1:28 NIV
26 - no sacrifice for sins is left - For starters, how can there be no sacrifice for sins left when Jesus sacrificed it all and paid the penalty for ALL sin, past, present and future Isa 53:4-6 NIV, Isa 53:10 NIV, John 1:29 NIV, Rom 4:7-8 NIV, Col 2:13-15 NIV, Heb 7:27 NIV, Heb 10:12 NIV, 1 John 2:12 NIV, Rev 1:4-5 NIV. Also, in the Mosaic Covenant the Jews would sacrifice animals on the alter as a blood covenant for the forgiveness of sins. Moses in his covenant took from the offerings half of the blood and put it in bowls and the other half he sprinkled on the altar. He read to the people the book of the covenant and once again they all responded, "All that the LORD has said we will do" (Ex.24:7). Hearing once more their pledge of obedience to the Lord, Moses sprinkled the people with the blood, saying, ‘"This is the blood of the covenant which the LORD has made with you according to all these words"’ (Ex.24:8). This was a very solemn moment in their national history, for with this sprinkling of the blood and their promise to be obedient, the covenant was ratified and they were sanctified as the people of God (Heb.9:19,20; Heb.10:29). As His people, they would be governed by Him according to the commandments and statutes that He had given to them.

27 - but only a fearful expectation of judgment and of raging fire that will consume the enemies of God. - This entire passage literally describes the wrath of God, but scripture says believers are not appointed to wrath Dan 12:1 NIV, Matt 24:21-22 NIV, John 3:36 NIV, 1 Thess 5:9-10 NIV, Rev 3:10 NIV. Scripture also states that believers are no longer enemies of God, rather we are His children Rom 5:10 NIV, Rom 8:31 NIV, Rom 11:28 NIV, Col 1:21-22 NIV

28 - Anyone who rejected the law of Moses died without mercy - The author here is simply using familiar language, since he is also describing the Mosaic Covenant in verse 26-27.

29 - who has trampled the Son of God under foot - This phrase works off of Daniels vision in Dan 8:13 NIV. When Daniel uses this phrase he is describing the Antichrist during the Abomination of Desolation!
29 - who has treated as an unholy thing the blood of the covenant that sanctified him - Now, why would the author here speak of the Mosaic Covenant in verse 26,27,28 and then suddenly switch covenants in one passage? That doesn't make sense. What makes sense is the author using familiar language, similar to verse 26 where he says "there is no sacrifice for sins left". Verse 26 and 29 both speak of this blood covenant that Moses used to sanctify his people. Also notice verse 29 says "who has" TWICE. Why would the author use the term "who has" to describe an antichrist term as in (nonbelievers) and then in the same passage describe the Grace covenant?
29 - and who has insulted the Spirit of grace - The term "Spirit of grace" describes the Holy Spirit, and the Holy Spirit has always been at work in Israel and with God's people, seal or no seal. Also, why would a believer in Christ ever insult the Holy Spirit? I can't find one scripture that can prove a born again believer would ever insult the Holy Spirit. The idea alone is absurd. A believer is thankful for what God has done for them! To insult God is to deny His deity, and it's impossible for a believer to stop believing in His deity because the Holy Spirit already marked the believer with God's seal.

30 - For we know him who said, "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," - This describes the wrath of God, but scripture says believers are not appointed to wrath Dan 12:1 NIV, Matt 24:21-22 NIV, John 3:36 NIV, 1 Thess 5:9-10 NIV, Rev 3:10 NIV. Scripture also states that believers are no longer enemies of God, rather we are His children Rom 5:10 NIV, Rom 8:31 NIV, Rom 11:28 NIV, Col 1:21-22 NIV
30 - "The Lord will judge his people." - HIS PEOPLE. This is speaking about Jews in Israel, non believing Jews for that matter. The book of Hebrews is a Jewish book and the audience intended is Jews here. To judge something or someone is to "condemn". And scripture clearly states that believers are no longer condemned by God Mark 16:16 NIV, John 3:18 NIV, Rom 8:1-2 NIV.

con·demn (kən-dĕm′)
tr.v. con·demned, con·demn·ing, con·demns
1. To express strong disapproval of: condemned the needless waste of food. See Synonyms at criticize.
2. To pronounce judgment against; sentence: condemned the felons to prison.
3. To judge or declare to be unfit for use or consumption, usually by official order: condemn an old building.
4. To lend credence to or provide evidence for an adverse judgment against: were condemned by their actions.

31 It is a dreadful thing to fall into the hands of the living God. - The word dreadful is translated "phoberos", which means fearful. Scripture clearly states however that we no longer have the spirit of fear Rom 8:15 ESV, 2 Tim 1:7 ESV, Heb 2:14-15 ESV, 1 John 4:18 ESV. This also describes the wrath of God, but scripture says believers are not appointed to wrath Dan 12:1 NIV, Matt 24:21-22 NIV, John 3:36 NIV, 1 Thess 5:9-10 NIV, Rev 3:10 NIV. Scripture also states that believers are no longer enemies of God, rather we are His children Rom 5:10 NIV, Rom 8:31 NIV, Rom 11:28 NIV, Col 1:21-22 NIV

- ATP

haz

Feb 17, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
ATP said:
26 If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left,
27 but only a fearful expectation of judgment and of raging fire that will consume the enemies of God.
28 Anyone who rejected the law of Moses died without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses.
29 How much more severely do you think a man deserves to be punished who has trampled the Son of God under foot, who has treated as an unholy thing the blood of the covenant that sanctified him, and who has insulted the Spirit of grace?
30 For we know him who said, "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," and again, "The Lord will judge his people."
31 It is a dreadful thing to fall into the hands of the living God. (Heb 10:26-31 NIV)

Hello everyone. I did a personal study on these passages tonight. It took me a lot of time and effort to really dive into this one. I see these passages specifically referring to non believing Jews in Israel. Let me give you my break down word for word, and let me know what you think.

26 - If we deliberately keep on sinning - This refers to nonbelievers, not believers. Rom 6:14 NIV, 1 John 3:6 NIV, 1 John 3:9 NIV, 1 John 5:18 NIV.
Hi ATP,

I agree that Heb 10:26 refers to non-believers. I also agree with your scripture quotes above that Christians cannot sin.

I see these non-believers that Heb 10:26 refers to, being described also in Heb 6:4-6
For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted the heavenly gift, and have become partakers of the Holy Spirit, and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come, if they fall away, to renew them again to repentance, since they crucify again for themselves the Son of God, and put Him to an open shame.

These non-believers who had the knowledge of the truth (John 3:16) that Heb 10:26 refers to, are those described in Heb 6:4-6 above.

How did these former believers "fall away"?

Gal 2:18
For if I build again those things which I destroyed (righteousness by works of the law), I make myself a transgressor/Sinner.

This refers to those former believers (having righteousness by faith, Rom 4:5) who turned back to works of the law for righteousness, because to bring oneself back under the law you have to abide by its judgments (just one offence makes one guilty of all the law, James 2:10).
Rom 3:19
we know that whatever the law says, it says to those who are under the law,

Christians, however, are not under the law (Rom 8:2, Rom 10:4, Gal 3:24, Gal 5:18, 1Tim 1:9).

With the above in mind, we see that Christians cannot sin (1John 3:6-9. 1Pet 4:1) in that Satan, the accuser (Rev 12:10,11), cannot charge Christians with sin (transgression of the law, 1John 3:4) because we're not under it's jurisdiction (Rom 3:19, Rom 8:2, Rom 10:4, Gal 3:24, Gal 5:18, 1Tim 1:9).

Rom 8:33
Who shall lay any thing (this includes sin) to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth.

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
haz said:
I agree that Heb 10:26 refers to non-believers. I also agree with your scripture quotes above that Christians cannot sin.
Thank you haz, good post. Also notice the word "enemies". The children of God are no longer His enemies. We are not appointed to wrath.. :)

Nahum 1:2 ESV The Lord is a jealous and avenging God; the Lord is avenging and wrathful; the Lord takes vengeance on his adversaries and keeps wrath for his enemies.

Heb 10:27 NIV but only a fearful expectation of judgment and of raging fire that will consume the enemies of God.

haz said:
These non-believers who had the knowledge of the truth (John 3:16) that Heb 10:26 refers to, are those described in Heb 6:4-6 above.

How did these former believers "fall away"?
Also notice Heb 6:7-8 is about the crop, farmer and thorns and thistles
This goes back to the root, vine and branch of unbelief in the Jews.
They fell away because they had no root of salvation, they were not born again.

Matt 13:21 NIV But since they have no root, they last only a short time. When trouble or persecution comes because of the word, they quickly fall away.

Rom 11:20-23 NIV Granted. But they were broken off because of unbelief, and you stand by faith. Do not be arrogant, but tremble. 21For if God did not spare the natural branches, he will not spare you either. 22Consider therefore the kindness and sternness of God: sternness to those who fell, but kindness to you, provided that you continue in his kindness. Otherwise, you also will be cut off. 23And if they do not persist in unbelief, they will be grafted in, for God is able to graft them in again.

- ATP

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Sin is not defined as merely a transgression of the law. The law was given so we may have knowledge of sin and to make sins utterly sinful. There was sin before the law was given.

haz

Feb 17, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
ATP said:
Thank you haz, good post. Also notice the word "enemies". The children of God are no longer His enemies. We are not appointed to wrath.. :)

Nahum 1:2 ESV The Lord is a jealous and avenging God; the Lord is avenging and wrathful; the Lord takes vengeance on his adversaries and keeps wrath for his enemies.

Heb 10:27 NIV but only a fearful expectation of judgment and of raging fire that will consume the enemies of God.

Also notice Heb 6:7-8 is about the crop, farmer and thorns and thistles
This goes back to the root, vine and branch of unbelief in the Jews.
They fell away because they had no root of salvation, they were not born again.

Matt 13:21 NIV But since they have no root, they last only a short time. When trouble or persecution comes because of the word, they quickly fall away.

Rom 11:20-23 NIV Granted. But they were broken off because of unbelief, and you stand by faith. Do not be arrogant, but tremble. 21For if God did not spare the natural branches, he will not spare you either. 22Consider therefore the kindness and sternness of God: sternness to those who fell, but kindness to you, provided that you continue in his kindness. Otherwise, you also will be cut off. 23And if they do not persist in unbelief, they will be grafted in, for God is able to graft them in again.

- ATP
Amen. Good points.

All supported by Jesus in John 16:9 where he says that the sin the world is convicted of is unbelief in him.

Note also 1Cor 6:15-18 confirming how sin cannot be charged against believers.

Do you not know that your bodies are members of Christ? Shall I then take the members of Christ and make them members of a harlot? Certainly not! Or do you not know that he who is joined to a harlot is one body with her? For “the two,” He says, “shall become one flesh.” But he who is joined to the Lord is one spirit with Him.
Flee (spiritual) sexual immorality (with Hagar, who is symbolic for righteousness by works of the law, Gal 4:24, which is unbelief). Every sin that a man does is outside the body (of Christ that we abide in, Col 3:3, Gal 2:20), but he who commits (spiritual) sexual immorality (with Hagar/righteousness by works of the law, Gal 4:24) sins against his own body.

haz

Feb 17, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
lforrest said:
Sin is not defined as merely a transgression of the law. The law was given so we may have knowledge of sin and to make sins utterly sinful. There was sin before the law was given.
Hi Iforrest,

Unrighteousness is sin, 1John 5:17
Transgression of the law is sin, 1John 3:4.
Unbelief in Jesus is the sin the world is convicted of, John 16:9.

Sin cannot be charged (Rom 8:33, 1John 3:9, 1Pet 4:1) against believers as we're in Christ (Col 3:3, Gal 2:20) and in him there is no sin (1John 3:5).

A Christian's faith is counted for righteousness (Rom 4:5) so we cannot be charged with the sin of unrighteousness.

Christians are not under the law (Rom 3:19, Rom 8:2, Rom 10:4, Gal 3:25, Gal 5:18, 1Tim 1:9) thus we cannot be charged with the sin of transgression of the law.

Christians believe on Jesus thus we cannot be charged with the sin of unbelief.

And note how these sins are all linked.

Those in unbelief are unrighteous and will be judged under the law as guilty of all of it (James 2:10).

But for those believing on Jesus, our faith is counted for righteousness and not by works of the law.

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States

I'm not sure what you're trying to prove by this statement. Paul is referring to those who sin after they have received knowledge of the truth. No one has knowledge of the truth until they have knowledge of the truth. Until one has knowledge of the truth, they are by default a non believer. Then again, those who have knowledge of the truth, but then somehow lose it or get rid of it, are once again by default, a non believer. Non believers don't "taste" the Holy Spirit, which isn't to say that they couldn't have tasted of the Holy Spirit. None of Paul's message makes much sense if he's referring to non believers who were never believers in the first place for the salient reason that he would then be making a distinction between two types of non believer as unbelivers which are equally irrelevant. Furthermore, the sacrificial system is of no concern to non believers in the first place, but more importantly to those believers he's writing his letter to. However, it would have been of concern to those who WERE believers in the past (but only up to the point they became unbelievers). Therefore he is referring to people who were believers.

It isn't enough to point out that they are non believers.