Hebrew words for to like, love, dislike, and hate

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
There is no single word in OT Hebrew that correspondent exactly to the English verb to like.

1 Samuel 18:22 New International Version

Then Saul ordered his attendants: “Speak to David privately and say, ‘Look, the king likes you, and his attendants all love you; now become his son-in-law.’”
is pleased with you,
חָפֵ֤ץ (ḥā·p̄êṣ)
Verb - Qal - Perfect - third person masculine singular
Strong's 2654: To incline to, to bend, to be pleased with, desire

Further, the Hebrew concept of hate does not correspondent exactly to the English concept either, Deuteronomy 22:13, English Standard Version

If any man takes a wife and goes in to her and then hates her
NIV:

If a man takes a wife and, after sleeping with her, dislikes her
H8130, sane, שָׂנֵא, to hate

H8130-hate is more ambiguous than the English hate, Genesis 29:

30 So Jacob went in to Rachel also, and he loved Rachel more than Leah, and served Laban for another seven years.
31 When the LORD saw that Leah was hated [H8130], he opened her womb, but Rachel was barren.
H8130-hate means to love less and carries some English word sense of dislike.

Malachi 1: 2b “Yet I have loved Jacob 3a but Esau I have hated [H8130].

Comparatively speaking, God loved Jacob more than Esau. Isaac even blessed Esau.

See also HATE his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters?.

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
There is no single word in OT Hebrew that correspondent exactly to the English verb to like.

1 Samuel 18:22 New International Version

is pleased with you,
חָפֵ֤ץ (ḥā·p̄êṣ)
Verb - Qal - Perfect - third person masculine singular
Strong's 2654: To incline to, to bend, to be pleased with, desire

Further, the Hebrew concept of hate does not correspondent exactly to the English concept either, Deuteronomy 22:13, English Standard Version

NIV:

H8130, sane, שָׂנֵא, to hate

H8130-hate is more ambiguous than the English hate, Genesis 29:

H8130-hate means to love less and carries some English word sense of dislike.

Malachi 1: 2b “Yet I have loved Jacob 3a but Esau I have hated [H8130].

Comparatively speaking, God loved Jacob more than Esau. Isaac even blessed Esau.

See also HATE his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters?.
Bad English has been around for ever in fact, not to mention English has been bastardised in the last 30 years or so and English is a type of thing that can change it's meaning 360 deg ? that it is becoming like babble nowadays, How the young could even read the Bible nowadays and truly comprehend what the true meaning of some of the words are truly coming from, could be a real issue ?

Take Hate speech nowadays ? some total fools have come about and made Laws about Hate ? that's retarded !
I have a mate who tells everyone that he hates me outright, i come to a Party and he yells out, i hate that #%^& ! but he loves me and we get on just fine, the same political views and all. but he is just jealous of me, that's all that it truly is in fact !

People who are Married even hate the other but do still love each other in fact, even if they can not stand them ? for their is an issue of why that is so.

So their is nothing truly wrong with to hate in fact ! why is that well, it's a fact of life ! and the reality is that their are limits on regards to Hatred of something, even a Car for example, such may not be your cup of tea ! some one other may love it ! but you do not. and the ones who claim such a car is wonderful, can maybe not understand why you do not or are insulted if they want you to drive such a car.

Too easy ? is a bastard word now, that simple shallow fools use nowadays.
Are You Winning ? when you are working as the contractor, that is coming from one who is retarded and shallow to dignify such with a comment.
Wicked is another deranged 360 deg turnaround from a meaning ! from one of Evil, to that of fondness for such a thing or supporting such.

One should speak real Latin like the RCC once used, so as to be precise. Hebrew and Greek when translated into English, one is best to know a bit about such in relation, so as to understand why such is translated into English the way it is in the AKJV Bible, but once you get into the NIV you clearly fine such is truly a bad translation of the English of the AKJV.

Then one of today's world would have to ponder, why the first commandment is not, Tho shall not be a Racist ! because in the New World Order, it must be the first and foremost ?
But why is such not in the Bible, one may ponder ? well because such is not truly worthy of God to make such commandment, because such is in fact a worldly issue, for carnal dupes that are to stupid to understand the real issues in depth, for they are under a curse ! retards in fact. Lost in this world that is full of deceptions and delusions. Such is what Satanist makes idols of ! typical Nonsense is their game and such relates to everything from a carnal perspective.