Help With Bible Chapter Please.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

bigdummy

Feb 1, 2008
Miss Hepburn said:
bigdummy;74252]I believe the chapter and verse you refer to is (1 Cor.7:18) but when I read it I can said:
I never took that literally. Pretty similar to Jesus saying - Lest ye be born again... It's not literal. Metaphor and symbolism, parables -are all throughout the Bible.

:) Miss Hepburn

When you consider that the bible is a book of letters that is open to the interpition of the reader do you think there will ever come a time when more than two people will interpit it the same way?

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
bigdummy said:
When you consider that the bible is a book of letters that is open to the interpition of the reader do you think there will ever come a time when more than two people will interpit it the same way?
LOL! Nope!
But that is a good thing - hopefully each interpretation opens us to yet another possibility - keeping us open and humble.

Also, you say a "book of letters"---2 people can't even give the same account for seeing a car crash into concrete right in front them!!! Ha!

bigdummy

Feb 1, 2008
I believe Miss Hepburn that for the reason you mentioned [Two people seeing things differently] that Paul pleaded with the Corinthian believers not to have divisions among themselves, see 1 Cor.1:10-13 It sounds to me that the start of all the various denominations started way back then.

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
bigdummy said:
I believe Miss Hepburn that for the reason you mentioned [Two people seeing things differently] that Paul pleaded with the Corinthian believers not to have divisions among themselves, see 1 Cor.1:10-13 It sounds to me that the start of all the various denominations started way back then.
Ah, I see your point.
Yet, I see "divisions" entirely differently than most people --I see "differences" not as divisions at all, but new interpretations adding to my depth of understanding.
It's only when people are not open to new interesting possibilities that divisions, due to attachment to their own ideas (ego), that problems/ "divisions" start. Even WARS!!!
Divisions are just that, divisions.
I welcome "differences". I find them exhilarating.

If mankind weren't so primitive we would all get along with no "divisions".
Just fun and interesting diversities.

:) Miss Hepburn

bigdummy

Feb 1, 2008
I guess I can't argue with your thinking as were it not for the "divisions" started by Martin Luther and others like him we would still all be Roman Catholics, there would be no Protestants, whether that would be good or bad I guess would depend on your belief system...Ray