Hobbies do you have any?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello to you,

What are some of your hobbies that like to do throughout the year?

Have they changed since you were younger?

What where some of the hobbies you did when you were younger?

What intrigued you to get into that said hobbies, was it a brother, a friend, a family member, some random person you only met one time in your life and never seen again?

Thought would post this and see who may be interested in sharing their hobbies. Mine right now aren’t all the influential by any means, being a single man with no family of his own.

I do enjoy studying the Bible and seeing all the great things that scriptures say with-in it, and trying to reach out to others, sometimes if I’m in the mood I’ll paint and one hobby that was in my younger life was filled with playing all kinds of video games and I still like to see the pixel art sometimes still today, and sometimes I’ll take time to look into fiction books too.

I never had a knack for keeping up with the music industry only remember some of the songs and band names, and the weather when it is nice it is good to go and look at the water, and nature when it gets cold it becomes to much for me.

Thank you for your time,
Matthew G.

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can't remember what my hobbies were as a kid besides making playdough marbles and trying to sell them - and little drawings.

I did the artist thing when I was younger because I was in that crowd and that was just what you did. And plus, I used to have feelings. I wrote music and poetry. I am scared of those now and I have no desire to do either.

Now I knit, crochet, cook, clean, do normal mom stuff, listen to worship or a sermon, play Top Gear 3000 or Mario games until I get bored. (I don't know if I like anything new. I just like being in my 90s happy place.) Pretty much it as of right now.

Last edited:

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Back in the late 90s, my boss made it clear that I needed to learn to play golf 'cuz we had vendors coming over from Japan and Korea who wanted to play here where golf is relatively cheap. It turned out I liked it. I always loved playing sports as a kid and as a young man. I can't play basketball or softball anymore, but golf is something an old man can play (with enthusiasm, if not skill). :D

My wife was a member of The Well-Armed Woman, which is a national women's organization that teaches shooting skills and firearm safety. Her local chapter disbanded about the time of the Covid shutdowns, but when the range opened up again, she asked me to join her in the same Tuesday morning time-slot. We've taken some Defensive Pistol courses, and we each have some drills we practice weekly. The range membership is reasonable since I get her family discount, but with the on-going ammunition shortages, it's become an expensive hobby. But it's nice to have something we can do together.

Post-Script: I'm going to add one more hobby that has not changed since I was a kid. I got my first little red Schwinn bike when I was 6 years old. I'm still riding 3-4 times a week. :)

Last edited:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@MatthewG About 70 years ago, I got into the world's most popular hobby, stamps collecting. At the time it most certainly was. Now approaching my 78th birthday I still have most of my stamps [more than 100,000 all different plus thousands of duplicates], but as I am winding down in my flesh, so also am I winding down my collection.

Technology brought stamp collecting down from the position of number one hobby that it was many years ago... But while diminishing it does still exist... LOL even if I were the only collector left. I am not. I guess I have possessed stamps from every country in the world that has issued them. [I have traded or sold thousands of them so I may not any more.] Many of those countries have ceased to exist or have had their names changed, some several times. Most of their stamps remain in the hands of collectors and tell their stories for anyone interested in hearing them.

I always collected stamps from all of the world of men but more recently I have put my emphasis on Germanic entities. Many collectors specialized in single countries or regions or in certain topics such as: religion, animals, vehicles, sports, wars, geography, science [or only a certain science, such as Botany or Astronomy or insects] and even computers.

Since Great Britain issued the very first national postage stamp in 1840 apparently there has always been someone around to collect them. Now I use my computer extensively to keep track of my collection but that was certainly not the way it was in the beginning. No computers and no TVs! Can anyone else remember such a time?

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mine is calligraphy, but not the modern stuff. This is what I love: The chant

upload_2021-11-30_10-16-10.jpeg

I can only do foundation hand and a bit of uncial. I learned how from a monk at a monastery in Missouri.Am currently taking Latin 101 so I will understand more clearly what I am writing. I had a course called "From Ink to sound" which went through decoding medieval music manuscripts.
I got interested in Henry the Viii, and then the religious atmosphere in his day. Fascinated and saddened by the because of the way the abbots were treated.Found the loveliness of the Book of Hours, owned by the wealthy. Common folk could not afford these, and the Church kept rein on the Bible. That's sad too. I went to England with my son and DIL, and saw these things at a museum there. Fell in love. Book of Hours (use of Rome) , c. 1460-1470

With respect to the treatment of some of the abbots and the monasteries., Henry was taking all of their possessions because the monasteries were wealthy. Many of them cared for the poor around them. Richard Whiting the Last Abbot of Glastonbury, in his 80s, mind you, was put to death in a most horrible way. Here is his story, in a nutshell..

Last edited:

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I live a very full life. My hobbies include:
  1. reading
  2. discussing philosophy, theology, politics, current events - online & in person
  3. cooking
  4. cookouts & bonfires
  5. traveling (been to 4 continents & 40 States)
  6. scuba diving
  7. snorkeling
  8. canoeing
  9. kayaking
  10. hiking
  11. backpacking
  12. tennis
  13. pickle ball
  14. watching movies
  15. home improvement projects
  16. spending time with kids & grandkids

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I got interested in Henry the Viii, and then the religious atmosphere in his day. Fascinated and saddened by the because of the way the abbots were treated.Found the loveliness of the Book of Hours, owned by the wealthy. Common folk could not afford these, and the Church kept rein on the Bible. That's sad too. I went to England with my son and DIL, and saw these things at a museum there. Fell in love. Book of Hours (use of Rome) , c. 1460-1470
My dad is a genealogy guy. He says we are descendants of King Henry the 8th. Way cool and didn't know that history. Very, very beautiful.

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My dad is a genealogy guy. He says we are descendants of King Henry the 8th. Way cool and didn't know that history. Very, very beautiful.
The Tudor King I love is Henry Vii,Henry the 8th's father) and there is a show on you tube called "The Shadow of the Tower" which tells about him (added historical fiction as well). His wife was Elizabeth of York. I like her too. Hopefully, the Shadow series will whet your whistle.

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Tudor King I love is Henry Vii,Henry the 8th's father) and there is a show on you tube called "The Shadow of the Tower" which tells about him (added historical fiction as well). His wife was Elizabeth of York. I like her too. Hopefully, the Shadow series will whet your whistle.
I have never seen that before. I will check it out. Thank you!

JazzyJeff15

May 12, 2021
Connecticut
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Learning about God and spending time in his word is my favorite thing to do. But i also enjoy

Playing basketball, boxing (just training, not actually fighting anyone), learning kickboxing, working out, roller blading, watching baseball, swimming, hiking, jogging, watching documentaries, learning about history

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Hello to you,

What are some of your hobbies that like to do throughout the year?

Have they changed since you were younger?

What where some of the hobbies you did when you were younger?

What intrigued you to get into that said hobbies, was it a brother, a friend, a family member, some random person you only met one time in your life and never seen again?

Thought would post this and see who may be interested in sharing their hobbies. Mine right now aren’t all the influential by any means, being a single man with no family of his own.

I do enjoy studying the Bible and seeing all the great things that scriptures say with-in it, and trying to reach out to others, sometimes if I’m in the mood I’ll paint and one hobby that was in my younger life was filled with playing all kinds of video games and I still like to see the pixel art sometimes still today, and sometimes I’ll take time to look into fiction books too.

I never had a knack for keeping up with the music industry only remember some of the songs and band names, and the weather when it is nice it is good to go and look at the water, and nature when it gets cold it becomes to much for me.

Thank you for your time,
Matthew G.
@MatthewG More than a hobby, Bible study is vitally important, right? :)

TEXBOW

Jul 8, 2021
Cypress
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I enjoy learning and studying God's word and 1st century Christianity.
I'm a long-time avid bowhunter for whitetail deer. I love the outdoors.
I'm a long-time fisherman, freshwater and saltwater.
I'm an Army veteran and enjoy firearms and shooting sports.
I (not so much lately) collect old hunting and fishing collectibles (old shotshell boxes, old ammunition advertisements/marketing flyers, fishing lure boxes, etc.
Travel
And last but not least debating @Mungo & @Marymog on this forum.:)

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I love saltwater fishing, reading, debating, journaling, forums, walking on trails, and coloring. I just took up a knitting project. I create prayer videos on YouTube.

I have watched a lot of Japanese anime. Still searching for good ones to watch with my husband.