Homemaker's Attitude Adjustment

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

FrauWarrior

Mar 26, 2007
I don't know about you, but there's not a lot of housework I really LIKE to do. I don't like to mop, I don't like to clean bathrooms, I don't like to fold laundry, and I don't really like doing dishes. I do these things, but you know, I don't enjoy them a bit. Sometimes I feel that the work never gets caught up. Just about the time I get something clean, someone gets it dirty agan. My husband really likes for me to keep the house neat, and I know that. So I try (sort of), but never with the best of attitudes.In the past few weeks, the Lord has really convicted me about my selfishness and my bad attitude toward my husband. The things that are my responsibility, and should bring me joy, are the things I'm complaining about. I believe with all my heart that the place God has for me is just where I am - a "keeper at home", and yet I was feeling dissatisfied and disgruntled all the time.I have asked the Lord to forgive me, and to help me find joy in the work He has given me. I want to "walk worthy of the vocation" to which I've been called (Eph. 4:1). The Lord has reminded me of three lessons which my mother has been trying to teach for years. I just thought these might be a help to someone else:1. Prioritize your life, and make sure the Lord is at the top of the list. Then, hubby is second. My job is to serve him, and if I do not care for him properly, then I am not right with the Lord. That means, if he likes a clean house, then I should do my dead level best to keep it that way.2. Be creative. Working at creativity is what elevates being a housekeeper to being a homemaker. Instead of coming up with whatever you can find for dinner, plan a menu. Try some new recipes. Your husband will probably die of shock! Not only will it make dinner a little less boring, it will proably help with the grocery bill. If he likes the house to be decorated for the season (which my hubby does), plan ahead, and do it early, instead of waiting till the last possible minute, and grumbling about it (like I usually do!). Creativity is what makes homemaking fun. It gives you an opportunity to be good at what you do. If you think you are just not a creative person, find good resources. Martha Stewart Living (magazine) is full of ideas (Just make sure you don't try her stock tips. You might wind up in jail!). Keep some spice in your homemaking (and don't just stick it in your cabinet).3. Let your motivation be love, instead of duty.This is a principle which changes your outlook on everything. Remember when you were dating (or courting) your husband, and you couldn't wait to make his favorite meal, or pie, or something just to show him you loved him? Do you ever do that now? It doesn't seem like such a chore when you do it for love.The same is true in our relationship with the Lord. It is so easy to do the right things because we know they are right, but not because we love and desire to please the Lord. When our relationship is based on love for Him, nothing will seem too hard (2 Cor. 5:14) I have learned this lesson before, but I feel that I am learning it all over again.I pray that this will be an encouragement to you.

betchevy

Jan 7, 2007
God is a good God and answers our prayers if we seek Him...thanks for the wonderfull insight to your life and your heart. I will be praying for God to bless your home with joy.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
That's true, God is a good God. I really don't like many chores, but however, I'll do them, with love and joy instead of NO! I hate them, My WAY! But even if we make mistakes, (sin) It often reminds me that I don't deserve that gift. Which I think it is good to be reminded...so it makes repentance easier to me.Rom 3:10 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:Rom 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

hotprincesscm

Sep 6, 2007
I have a really great website that I have come across, and the woman who started it is a God loving woman. She "teaches" us how to keep house and yet make our family our priority. Teaches us how to not be the martyrs in the house but to show our love of our families through what we do for them at home. I hate cleaning house too, and I find that incorporting this way of cleaning house is really easy and rewarding. The website is: www.flylady.net.Check it out, it's what I use and love it. It may not be everyone's cup of tea. But it's just an idea.