Hostility In Gatherings And Interactions

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I've lost count of the ostensibly Christian gatherings I've attended and contacts I've made to promote spiritual growth, both my own and others, with the result being exposure to various forms of hostility. This has vexed me in the past to the point where I am very selective about what gatherings I attend and who I have fellowship with. The backgrounds, beliefs, and behaviours of others all have the potential to stir up conflict, as described in this account.

Act 14:1-7 Now it happened in Iconium that they went together to the synagogue of the Jews, and so spoke that a great multitude both of the Jews and of the Greeks believed. (2) But the unbelieving Jews stirred up the Gentiles and poisoned their minds against the brethren. (3) Therefore they stayed there a long time, speaking boldly in the Lord, who was bearing witness to the word of His grace, granting signs and wonders to be done by their hands. (4) But the multitude of the city was divided: part sided with the Jews, and part with the apostles. (5) And when a violent attempt was made by both the Gentiles and Jews, with their rulers, to abuse and stone them, (6) they became aware of it and fled to Lystra and Derbe, cities of Lycaonia, and to the surrounding region. (7) And they were preaching the gospel there.

Here we have more than just a personality clash. Very hostile behaviour. It gets worse in the narrative.

Fortunately we learn from Scripture that testings, trials, and tribulations build character and promote spiritual growth, so it remains for me to rejoice in these when memories of them come to mind, and when they unavoidably manifest.

Jas 1:2-4 My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, (3) knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. (4) But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing.

Rom 5:1-5
Being therefore justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ; (2) through whom we also have our access by faith into this grace in which we stand. We rejoice in hope of the glory of God. (3) Not only this, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces perseverance; (4) and perseverance, proven character; and proven character, hope: (5) and hope doesn’t disappoint us, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us.

A quick study of a solid biblical principle. Amen.

Reactions: amadeus and marks

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've lost count of the ostensibly Christian gatherings I've attended and contacts I've made to promote spiritual growth, both my own and others, with the result being exposure to various forms of hostility. This has vexed me in the past to the point where I am very selective about what gatherings I attend and who I have fellowship with. The backgrounds, beliefs, and behaviours of others all have the potential to stir up conflict, as described in this account.

Act 14:1-7 Now it happened in Iconium that they went together to the synagogue of the Jews, and so spoke that a great multitude both of the Jews and of the Greeks believed. (2) But the unbelieving Jews stirred up the Gentiles and poisoned their minds against the brethren. (3) Therefore they stayed there a long time, speaking boldly in the Lord, who was bearing witness to the word of His grace, granting signs and wonders to be done by their hands. (4) But the multitude of the city was divided: part sided with the Jews, and part with the apostles. (5) And when a violent attempt was made by both the Gentiles and Jews, with their rulers, to abuse and stone them, (6) they became aware of it and fled to Lystra and Derbe, cities of Lycaonia, and to the surrounding region. (7) And they were preaching the gospel there.

Here we have more than just a personality clash. Very hostile behaviour. It gets worse in the narrative.

Fortunately we learn from Scripture that testings, trials, and tribulations build character and promote spiritual growth, so it remains for me to rejoice in these when memories of them come to mind, and when they unavoidably manifest.

Jas 1:2-4 My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, (3) knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. (4) But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing.

Rom 5:1-5
Being therefore justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ; (2) through whom we also have our access by faith into this grace in which we stand. We rejoice in hope of the glory of God. (3) Not only this, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces perseverance; (4) and perseverance, proven character; and proven character, hope: (5) and hope doesn’t disappoint us, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us.

A quick study of a solid biblical principle. Amen.
Keep in mind, even the apostles quarreled over which one of them was the greatest, we are all imperfect, and as long as we are things will happen. Forgiveness is the key, and applying the fruitages of the spirit.

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Keep in mind, even the apostles quarreled over which one of them was the greatest, we are all imperfect, and as long as we are things will happen. Forgiveness is the key, and applying the fruitages of the spirit.
Thanks for your comment, Robert. Wise advice.