How can I keep from getting distracted when praying?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Kimshi42

Dec 27, 2007
Closing my eyes, kneeling, turning the lights off. But sometimes my mind still wanders!

followerofchrist

Nov 22, 2007
That happens to me to. I will be praying for someone but when I say their name I start to think about them and drift off from my prayer. All I can say is I just have to focus harder.

prayerfulsoul

Jan 15, 2008
Praying is us talking to God. IMO, I think of prayer as a conversation and I do the same things (well, some of the same things) that I do in person to person conversations when I pray. First, I eliminate all distractions. No tv, no driving, no nothing. Just as if you were having a conversation with someone else. Secondly, I just talk, voice my concerns, praise, etc. If you're praying for a friend and you start thinking about them, you could always talk to God about what it is about the person that makes them your friend. Plus, by talking about your friend, it's thanking God for providing such a person in your life. If your mind starts to wander into thinking about that new show on tv or a phone call you have to make, you can always "pause" the prayer (just as in a conversation and you have a phone call or something), refocus your attention, and go back to praying.