How can you KNOW that you are saved and part of the elect?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hmm..Wikipedia?

Please listen to this and your feedback Ziggy

She is really condenscending.
Is she reading from Arthur Pink's writings?
I hear a lot more questions than I do answers.
You take Revelation 19:6 that she quotes in the beginning of the video, and adds to it all these words that are not in my bible.
If you want to quote a passage and then say: this is what it says, making a distinction from what is written to how one interprets it,
I don't have a problem with that. But saying it says what it doesn't say... bothers me.
that's within the first 43 seconds.
While others are left to suffer the just punishment of their sins....
Who is Spurgeon?

Why God chose these and in particular we do not know...

Exo 19:3 And Moses went up unto God, and the LORD called unto him out of the mountain, saying, Thus shalt thou say to the house of Jacob, and tell the children of Israel;
Exo 19:4 Ye have seen what I did unto the Egyptians, and how I bare you on eagles' wings, and brought you unto myself.
Exo 19:5 Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine:
Exo 19:6 And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel.

Yes we do:

Deu 4:32 For ask now of the days that are past, which were before thee, since the day that God created man upon the earth, and ask from the one side of heaven unto the other, whether there hath been any such thing as this great thing is, or hath been heard like it?
Deu 4:33 Did ever people hear the voice of God speaking out of the midst of the fire, as thou hast heard, and live?
Deu 4:34 Or hath God assayed to go and take him a nation from the midst of another nation, by temptations, by signs, and by wonders, and by war, and by a mighty hand, and by a stretched out arm, and by great terrors, according to all that the LORD your God did for you in Egypt before your eyes?
Deu 4:35 Unto thee it was shewed, that thou mightest know that the LORD he is God; there is none else beside him.
Deu 4:36 Out of heaven he made thee to hear his voice, that he might instruct thee: and upon earth he shewed thee his great fire; and thou heardest his words out of the midst of the fire.
Deu 4:37 And because he loved thy fathers, therefore he chose their seed after them, and brought thee out in his sight with his mighty power out of Egypt;
Deu 4:38 To drive out nations from before thee greater and mightier than thou art, to bring thee in, to give thee their land for an inheritance, as it is this day.
Deu 4:39 Know therefore this day, and consider it in thine heart, that the LORD he is God in heaven above, and upon the earth beneath: there is none else.

I'm 5 minutes in brother...
I'm having a hard time digesting what she's putting on the plate.

I wonder if these people actually read the bible.
Just sayin, not meaning to be rude, but it sounds like they like their own words.

I'll keep listening, but it hurts my ears.
Hugs

Reactions: marks

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
She is really condenscending.
Is she reading from Arthur Pink's writings?
I hear a lot more questions than I do answers.
You take Revelation 19:6 that she quotes in the beginning of the video, and adds to it all these words that are not in my bible.
If you want to quote a passage and then say: this is what it says, making a distinction from what is written to how one interprets it,
I don't have a problem with that. But saying it says what it doesn't say... bothers me.
that's within the first 43 seconds.
While others are left to suffer the just punishment of their sins....
Who is Spurgeon?

Why God chose these and in particular we do not know...

Exo 19:3 And Moses went up unto God, and the LORD called unto him out of the mountain, saying, Thus shalt thou say to the house of Jacob, and tell the children of Israel;
Exo 19:4 Ye have seen what I did unto the Egyptians, and how I bare you on eagles' wings, and brought you unto myself.
Exo 19:5 Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine:
Exo 19:6 And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel.

Yes we do:

Deu 4:32 For ask now of the days that are past, which were before thee, since the day that God created man upon the earth, and ask from the one side of heaven unto the other, whether there hath been any such thing as this great thing is, or hath been heard like it?
Deu 4:33 Did ever people hear the voice of God speaking out of the midst of the fire, as thou hast heard, and live?
Deu 4:34 Or hath God assayed to go and take him a nation from the midst of another nation, by temptations, by signs, and by wonders, and by war, and by a mighty hand, and by a stretched out arm, and by great terrors, according to all that the LORD your God did for you in Egypt before your eyes?
Deu 4:35 Unto thee it was shewed, that thou mightest know that the LORD he is God; there is none else beside him.
Deu 4:36 Out of heaven he made thee to hear his voice, that he might instruct thee: and upon earth he shewed thee his great fire; and thou heardest his words out of the midst of the fire.
Deu 4:37 And because he loved thy fathers, therefore he chose their seed after them, and brought thee out in his sight with his mighty power out of Egypt;
Deu 4:38 To drive out nations from before thee greater and mightier than thou art, to bring thee in, to give thee their land for an inheritance, as it is this day.
Deu 4:39 Know therefore this day, and consider it in thine heart, that the LORD he is God in heaven above, and upon the earth beneath: there is none else.

I'm 5 minutes in brother...
I'm having a hard time digesting what she's putting on the plate.

I wonder if these people actually read the bible.
Just sayin, not meaning to be rude, but it sounds like they like their own words.

I'll keep listening, but it hurts my ears.
Hugs

Yes, the teachings of the reformers and puritans are hard to digest, don't listen if it bothers you.

Reactions: Ziggy

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, the teachings of the reformers and puritans are hard to digest, don't listen if it bothers you.
It just doesn't ring true...
I'm scratching my head thinking, where is that?
or, how did they come to that conclusion?
Eph 2:1 And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;
Eph 2:2 Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:
Eph 2:3 Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.

"He foresaw no good thing in them... "

God chose Abram because he was righteous in God's eyes because Abraham believed God and it was accounted unto him for righteousness.

"God chose out certain ones because he chose to choose them...
because such was the good pleasure of his Sovereign will. "

And I say, Noah found Grace in the eyes of the Lord, Abraham because he believed God was accounted righteous,
and therefore

"They had no inherent rightrousness... "

Except that they were Abrahams seed.

Yeah, no.. I can't follow this train of thought.
Hugs

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
It just doesn't ring true...
I'm scratching my head thinking, where is that?
or, how did they come to that conclusion?
Eph 2:1 And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;
Eph 2:2 Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:
Eph 2:3 Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.

"He foresaw no good thing in them... "

God chose Abram because he was righteous in God's eyes because Abraham believed God and it was accounted unto him for righteousness.

"God chose out certain ones because he chose to choose them...
because such was the good pleasure of his Sovereign will. "

And I say, Noah found Grace in the eyes of the Lord, Abraham because he believed God was accounted righteous,
and therefore

"They had no inherent rightrousness... "

Except that they were Abrahams seed.

Yeah, no.. I can't follow this train of thought.
Hugs
I am not going to push you Ziggy. Do you read your bible or study it?

As to Noah, did not God choose him?

Can a sinner, dead in trespasses and overladen with never ending sins, blinded by the god of this world "choose" God?

Shalom-peace

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Can a sinner, dead in trespasses and overladen with never ending sins, blinded by the god of this world "choose" God?

Shalom-peace
Noah was chosen before he was born.. according to The book of Enoch. God had a plan for Noah.
Perhaps this is the "election by grace" . Preordained.

As to the 2nd question.
I believe they can and do.
Paul is a perfect example, no?

I believe God will break a person's spirit. Like he did with King Nebuchadnezzar. Where his pride got in the way.
And God sent him groveling like a beast until he realised that God ruled over everything.

But the question.. can one choose God without the interference of God himself, whether by word or deed, turn?
It is God who puts the will in us to repent. So I would think without God intervening, man would just plunge headlong into the abyss.

No warning signs, no detours, nothing to distract their own course...
The question is: Does God give everyone a warning sign before they choose not to heed it and go over the cliff?
I believe he does.
I have heard many testimonies of people who were on the edge and God pulled them back.

God gave man choice.
Choose ye this day whom ye will serve.. Joshua. As for me and my house we shall serve the Lord.

Rom 10:14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
Act 28:28 Be it known therefore unto you, that the salvation of God is sent unto the Gentiles, and that they will hear it.

I'm reading and studying as I'm posting.. all the time.
I listen to the Bible when I go to bed at night. From Genesis to Revelation and back again.
The only time I'm not studying out of the bible is when I'm watching the bible in real time in current events and politics.
We are watching prophecy unfold before our very eyes.
And the only way you can truly appreciate it is by measuring what happened in the past.
History repeats itself. And God has shown us the future by revealing it in scripture in the past. Both the Old and the New.
We are living in very interesting times.

Hugs

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We don't really know what was spoken face to face. Well maybe some scholars do, but simple folk like me only use the epistles.
The written Word will not disagree with their oral teachings, and were written, I believe, to preserve God's true Word.

Much love!

Reactions: Ziggy

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1Jn_5:13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

1) "These things have I written." (Greek tauta agrapsa) These things I wrote or "have written". The "these things" refers to the subject matter of the letter constituting evidences by which one might know and the world know that one was saved, and might have full joy. 1Jn_1:4.

2) "Unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God" (tois) unto or directed to or toward those trusting in the name of the heir or Son of God.

3) "That ye may know that ye have eternal life." (Greek hina) in order that, or for the purpose that, (eidete) you all may know, perceive, or comprehend “ye have, hold or possess eternal life." The terms know, known, and knoweth are used more than twenty times in 1Jo as verifying affirmations that the born Sons of God possessed life of eternal kind nature. It is just as possible for a saved person to know that he is saved as for an unsaved person to know he is unsaved and just as logical. 1Jn_3:2; 1Jn_3:14; 1Jn_4:7; 1Jn_4:13; 1Jn_4:15; 2Co_5:1.

RESTING ON CERTAINTIES

When that Christian and scientist, Sir Michael Faraday, was dying, some journalists questioned him as to his speculations concerning the soul and death "Speculations!" said the dying man, in astonishment, 'I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that He is able to keep that which I have committed unto Him against that day."

- Gospel Trumpet

4) "And that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God." "to believe" on is to rely, trust, or depend on the offers and promises of the Son of God. Joh_6:37; Mat_11:28-30. Joh_14:1-3; Heb_13:3-5; Heb_10:36-37; Rom_10:8-13.

That ye may know (hina eidēte). Purpose clause with hina and the second perfect active subjunctive of oida, to know with settled intuitive knowledge. He wishes them to have eternal life in Christ (Joh_20:31) and to know that they have it, but not with flippant superficiality (1Jn_2:3.).
Unto you that believe on (tois pisteuousin eis). Dative of the articular present active participle of pisteuō and eis as in 1Jn_5:10. For this use of onoma (name) with pisteuō see 1Jn_3:23; Joh_2:23.

1Jn_5:19 And we know that we are of God, and the whole world lieth in wickedness.

We are of God (ἐκ τοῦ Θεοῦ ἐσμέν)
For the phrase εἷναι ἐκ to be from, see on Joh_1:46. For ἐσμέν we are, see on 1Jn_3:1. John expresses the relation of believers to God by the following phrases: To be born or begotten of God, γεννηθῆναι ἐκ τοῦ Θεοῦ (1Jn_5:1; 1Jn_2:29; 1Jn_4:7): denoting the initial communication of the new life. To be of God, εἷναι ἐκ τοῦ Θεοῦ (Joh_8:47; 1Jn_3:10; 1Jn_4:6): denoting the essential connection in virtue of the new life. Child of God, τέκνον Θεοῦ (Joh_1:12; 1Jn_3:1, 1Jn_3:10): denoting the relation established by the new life.
World (κόσμος)
See on Joh_1:9.
Lieth (κεῖται)
The word is stronger than ἐστι is, indicating the passive, unprogressive state in the sphere of Satan's influence. “While we are from God, implying a birth and a proceeding forth, and a change of state, the κόσμος the world, all the rest of mankind, remains in the hand of the evil one” (Alford).
In wickedness (ἐν τῷ πονηρῷ)
Rev., better, in the evil one. The expression to lie in has a parallel in Sophocles' “Antigone:”
ἐν ὑμῖν γὰρ ὡς Θεῷ
κείμεθα τλάμονες
“Wretched we lie in you as in a god” (247).

1) "And we know that we are of God." He who is saved can know, be assured that he is saved, and know who his earthly father is. Experimentally, personally, one can know that he is saved, a child of God. Testamentarily, he can know he is saved by the inner witness of God's Spirit, and thru evidence of changed lives he can know that he and others are saved.

Ah! The inner witness...what is that?

Rom_8:16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:

1) "The Spirit itself," (auto to pneuma) "The Spirit himself (itself);" the indwelling Spirit in the believer, 1Jn_4:13; Joh_16:8-11; Eph_1:5; Eph_1:13-14; 2Co_1:22; 2Co_5:5.

2) "Beareth witness with our spirit," (summarteurei to Pneumati hemon) "witnesses in harmony with our spirit," or tells our spirit, bears testimony by the fruit of peace and joy that he brings to our spirits, our consciousness of will and affection for God and holiness, Gal_5:22-23; Rom_5:5.

3) "That we are the children of God," (hoti esmen Tekna theou) "that we are (now exist as) children of God," not merely candidates for childhood to him, 1Jn_5:10; 1Jn_5:13. One does not have to wait till he dies to become a child of God or to know that he is a child of God, Joh_1:11-12; 1Jn_3:1-2; 1Jn_3:10; Gal_3:26.

Do you have this inner witness?

Just wondering, are you quoting from Commentaries?

Much love!

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Just wondering, are you quoting from Commentaries?

Much love!
Spurgeon used to say "Visit many good books, ie, commentaries, dictionaries" as long as they remain the secondary source and no substitute for the primary source, our bible.

Through the years of studying my bible I have looked up many, many commentaries, dictionaries, the morphology and syntax of each and every precious word, now I know which is the best commentary, three that I use.
Why do you ask?

Reactions: Ronald Nolette

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The written Word will not disagree with their oral teachings, and were written, I believe, to preserve God's true Word.

Much love!
2Jo 1:12 Having many things to write unto you, I would not write with paper and ink: but I trust to come unto you, and speak face to face, that our joy may be full.

These things.. maybe they are of a personal nature and not meant for general consumption?

This is right up there with the seven thunders uttering their voices and John being told not to write them down.
Get's my curiosity peaked.

And if it's meant to be revealed, at some point I suppose it will be.

(wishing I was a fly on the wall sometimes)

:D
Hugs

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Spurgeon used to say "Visit many good books, ie, commentaries, dictionaries" as long as they remain the secondary source and no substitute for the primary source, our bible.

Through the years of studying my bible I have looked up many, many commentaries, dictionaries, the morphology and syntax of each and every precious word, now I know which is the best commentary, three that I use.
Why do you ask?
While you didn't attribute the content to others,

"And we know that we are of God." He who is saved can know, be assured that he is saved, and know who his earthly father is. Experimentally, personally, one can know that he is saved, a child of God. Testamentarily, he can know he is saved by the inner witness of God's Spirit, and thru evidence of changed lives he can know that he and others are saved.

1) "And we know that we are of God." He who is saved can know, be assured that he is saved, and know who his earthly father is. Experimentally, personally, one can know that he is saved, a child of God. Testamentarily, he can know he is saved by the inner witness of God’s Spirit, and thru evidence of changed lives he can know that he and others are saved. This is essentially John’s testimony of what faith in Christ brings one.

1 John 5 - Garner-Howes Baptist Commentary - Bible Commentaries - StudyLight.org

Also from Studylight:

1) "These things have I written." (Greek tauta agrapsa) These things I wrote or "have written". The "these things" refers to the subject matter of the letter constituting evidences by which one might know and the world know that one was saved, and might have full joy. 1 John 1:4.

2) "Unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God" (tois) unto or directed to or toward those trusting in the name of the heir or Son of God.

3) "That ye may know that ye have eternal life." (Greek hina) in order that, or for the purpose that, (eidete) you all may know, perceive, or comprehend “ye have, hold or possess eternal life." The terms know, known, and knoweth are used more than twenty times in 1Jo as verifying affirmations that the born Sons of God possessed life of eternal kind nature. It is just as possible for a saved person to know that he is saved as for an unsaved person to know he is unsaved and just as logical. 1 John 3:2; 1 John 3:14; 1 John 4:7; 1 John 4:13; 1 John 4:15; 2 Corinthians 5:1 (1 John 5 - Garner-Howes Baptist Commentary - Bible Commentaries - StudyLight.org)

It looks like you've quoted substantially from Studylight on this. Or their source commentary. It looks like you've copied someone else's content and posted it as your own.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Shalom-peace
Does the God Who invites all to come, lie? I should think not.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I guess the "all" world is saved and secure by now...

I'm glad we are agreed that God does not lie. I don't know what you mean in this part here, can you say this a different way? I don't think the entire world is saved. Just the same, God does give His invitation to all, and since we are agreed that He does not lie, then that's what true, right?

"Come to me all who are weary . . ."? A real invitation? Not phony?

Much love!

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
While you didn't attribute the content to others,

1 John 5 - Garner-Howes Baptist Commentary - Bible Commentaries - StudyLight.org

Also from Studylight:

1) "These things have I written." (Greek tauta agrapsa) These things I wrote or "have written". The "these things" refers to the subject matter of the letter constituting evidences by which one might know and the world know that one was saved, and might have full joy. 1 John 1:4.

3) "That ye may know that ye have eternal life." (Greek hina) in order that, or for the purpose that, (eidete) you all may know, perceive, or comprehend “ye have, hold or possess eternal life." The terms know, known, and knoweth are used more than twenty times in 1Jo as verifying affirmations that the born Sons of God possessed life of eternal kind nature. It is just as possible for a saved person to know that he is saved as for an unsaved person to know he is unsaved and just as logical. 1 John 3:2; 1 John 3:14; 1 John 4:7; 1 John 4:13; 1 John 4:15; 2 Corinthians 5:1 (1 John 5 - Garner-Howes Baptist Commentary - Bible Commentaries - StudyLight.org)

It looks like you've quoted substantially from Studylight on this. Or their source commentary. It looks like you've copied someone else's content and posted it as your own.

Much love!
Friend, I have this commentary on my e-sword, and this is my "Aaron" anything wrong with that?
I hardly use online content as I have my own.
I will continue to use any resource that give clarity on scripture passages.
God bless.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
I'm glad we are agreed that God does not lie. I don't know what you mean in this part here, can you say this a different way? I don't think the entire world is saved. Just the same, God does give His invitation to all, and since we are agreed that He does not lie, then that's what true, right?

"Come to me all who are weary . . ."? A real invitation? Not phony?

Much love!
Let's put you to the dokimazo, not ekpeiradzo....since it would appear you are trolling me..
You know what a Sod is, Remez?

τότε λέγει τοῖς δούλοις αὐτοῦ ‘Ὁ μὲν γάμος ἕτοιμός ἐστιν, οἱ δὲ κεκλημένοι οὐκ ἦσαν ἄξιοι·

Since I read Greek, Koine Greek can you exegete this portion for me? With the correct morphology and Syntax...

Shalom, Hebrew is not so bad...

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Does all who are invited come? I should think not, maybe Studylight can give you the answer?
Oh, forgot to mention, you see all those commentaries on Studylight, well, I have them all on e-sword...which one, in your humble, bias opinion is the "best" commentary?