How do I know if I'm talking to the right Jesus Christ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Fire-7

Feb 8, 2011
As I have read and heard many many testimonies of people who have had visions of Jesus christ, or had Him physically come to them and give them a message, I am always disturbed with how many rebuttals there are to each testimony... using scripture to show how these people experienced "another Jesus." It never fails. Pick ANY testimony of someone's claim of a personal encounter with Christ, and look it up on the internet. There will always be a rebuttal and biblical analysis that shows their encounter to be false.

I even read this sobering book entitled "Deceived By The New Age" where Will Baron tells about his life as a New Age priest. He was deep into the occult and didn't know it. He even thought he had the baptism of the Holy Spirit--spoke in tongues and everything. He was a beach evangelist, preaching about the soon return of Jesus Christ and his redemptive power. He even had this Jesus physically appear to him. So he thought he was on the right track... until a random woman he met at a revival interceded for him, and he was "set free" of his "deception."

There are the two testimonies of well known and highly respected and credible men of God, who claimed to have been taken to both Hell and Heaven, and seen "Jesus" on more than one occasion. One is Dr. Richard Eby and the other is Rev. Richard Sigmund ("A Place Called Heaven"). "Jesus" came to Dr. Eby years ago and told him that He would return to earth before Eby's death; he told this story on TBN. Well, as you know, eby died several years ago... "Jesus" also told Rev. Sigmund, while he wa in Heaven, that the rapture would take place before he died--that he would be "definitely be on earth." when He came back. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq29GFCL_RE . Richard Sigmund died in October of last year, and to my knowledge, the rapture hasn't happened. Many others have prophecied the same thing, including Kenneth Haggin, who's theology and doctrine has been proven to be heretical by several other bibal teachers.

Bob Larson (the exorcist), in teaching about the occult, demons and false religions, said that you can chant "Jesus" and receive a demonic spirit. This is scary, as Holiness and pentecostal churches (but mainly Holiness) churches do this all the time when they are "tarrying" for the H-ly Ghost (the way that Will Baron received the "false baptism."

So I am confused about this. This is the biggest reason I don't even feel like bothering with prayer. Because I don't want to receive some deceiving spirit. I'm almost afraid to call the name of Jesus. And some teach that there is no such thing as a real person of the "Heavenly Father", but that he is a "code" (AngelFall.com teaches this. So does bibal teacher Ken Klein). So I can't pray to the "Heavenly Father" if this is true. I have to pray to Jesus. I used to think that I pray TO the Heavenly father THROUGH Jesus, but apparently, I was wrong. And even praying to the "H-ly Spirit" might not be as stable. How do I know Im talking to the real Holy Spirit? And if you dont think that people swear up and down that they have the Holy Spirit and that He is speaking to them, you have not been in christianity long enough, or you are neive. This is just an example of what I mean http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJaqpSOsoho but it happens everywhere all the time.

I don't give up on prayer. I try to pray, but I have energy until I hit my knees or bed...then I fall asleep. I literally get worn out just thinking about how to sort this mess out.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
Jeremiah 29:13 (NKJV)
13 And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart.

Shirley

Aug 15, 2011
Ohio USA
Dearest Fire7, I understand your fears! I started on a journey to discover truth and the first thing that happened to me was loosing faith in man and what he taught. I learned that even a man of God who is sincere does not know all the truth. Humans want to be wise and act like they know everything. Our Father is going to destroy the wisdom of the wise. You just can not go wrong if you follow the prayer pattern our Lord Jesus taught us from a sincere heart. Our father who art in heaven..... you could not be wrong there b/c Satan has been thrown out of heaven. You could end the prayer with In the name of Jesus your son. We must become like a child so God can teach us. I really believe God is calling you or I don't think you would be here. We are all deceived until God reveals himself to us. I am praying that God will bless you and show himself to you in a very real way!

Reactions: Prentis

martinlawrencescott

Servant Prince
Apr 6, 2011
Ventura, California
I agree with what Shirley is saying, and Duckybill quoted the same verse that came to mind when I read your post. It seems like you're really seeking God, and it can be a scary thought, if you can really communicate with God, what else out there can I possibly be communicating with? To remove these fears, we have to keep coming back to scripture. This is how Jesus prayed to the father.

[sup]2[/sup] Jesus said, “This is how you should pray:[sup][a][/sup]
“Father, may your name be kept holy.
May your Kingdom come soon.
[sup]3[/sup] Give us each day the food we need,[sup][b][/sup]
[sup]4[/sup] and forgive us our sins,
as we forgive those who sin against us.
And don’t let us yield to temptation.[sup][c][/sup]”

People have used this standard and broken in up to show different ways to communicate to God our father. In simply praising him for who he is, declaring and agreeing with his promises, asking for our daily provision both physically and spiritually, to forgive our sins and those who sin against us, and to keep us safe from evil. We pray in Jesus name because without Jesus, we would have no right to relate to God.

My advice is to start reading the Psalms in the old testament. Find a Psalm that has to do with what you are experiencing in life, and relate that Psalm in your heart to God. If you're afraid to pray something you make up on your own, do this and start by using scripture. There is no safer way to pray and I can't see any sound wisdom that could contradict that.

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
I really like what Shirley has to say :) God bless your heart dear sister

Only by the revelation of Christ to us can we come to truth. We cannot know or understand the truth unless God reveals it to us. Because it is spiritual, and we are not. No man is by nature spiritual. Seek, pray, let the Lord show you, Fire-7.

God bless you, and may he reveal himself to you, brother!

Comm.Arnold

Apr 7, 2011
Matthew 24:24 For false messiahs and false profets will appear and perform great signs and wonders to decieve if possible the elect, see I have told you ahead of time. If anyone tells you there he is out in the wilderness do not go out or he he is in the inner rooms do not belive it for as lightning that comes from the east is visible even in the west so will be the coming of the son of man.

As you can see many will try to decieve us into what Jesus stood for. The basic thing is anyone who says the 10 commandments are not relevant is lying. Jesus did not do away with the 10 commandments he said the most important command is to love ones neighbour as yourself and Love God above all else. Look for those things and don`t waste your time with any preacher who claims otherwise.

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
Matthew 24:24 For false messiahs and false profets will appear and perform great signs and wonders to decieve if possible the elect, see I have told you ahead of time. If anyone tells you there he is out in the wilderness do not go out or he he is in the inner rooms do not belive it for as lightning that comes from the east is visible even in the west so will be the coming of the son of man.

As you can see many will try to decieve us into what Jesus stood for. The basic thing is anyone who says the 10 commandments are not relevant is lying. Jesus did not do away with the 10 commandments he said the most important command is to love ones neighbour as yourself and Love God above all else. Look for those things and don`t waste your time with any preacher who claims otherwise.

I agree brother :)

We must love the Lord our God first, and follow him and what he tells us to do.

The Lord bless you

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus said in Matthew 6, "And when ye pray, thou shalt not be as the hypocrits are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, they have their reward. But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret. And when thy Father which is in secret shall reward thee openly."

But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions as the heathen do: for they think they shall be heard for their much speaking. Be not ye therefore like unto them. For your Father knoweth what thing ye have need of before ye ask him."

It seems these verses tell you how to insure the Father will hear your prayers. If you do it in secret, no one else can even hear the prayer except the Father, and thus, it'll be rewarded by the Father.

7angels

Aug 13, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Richard Sigmund-the rapture
i can tell you right now that there is no way Jesus told anyone when he is coming down. he does not know. only one person knows and that is God the father(mar 13:32).

one way to know if it is God is by his word. God will not contradict himself. some people get a word and then either misinterpret what is said or get so caught up in what is said they miss what God has for them. sometimes these words people get are not even from God which is why we need to be in God's word to be able to discern truth from false teachings. there are many people out in the world that teach things that are not scriptural. even most christians do not know the word but are babes in Christ. we are all supposed to be disciples and make disciples. but not many people do this. this is just one example. even if you are a businessman or women you can still talk to people about Christ.

it is tough to discern who is telling the truth and who is not. the best way to know is to see if what they say witnesses to your spirit. another way is the take everything a person says and check it against what the bible says. there is a saying that is you cannot find what i am saying in the word you have no need to listen to it. kenneth hagin used to say that. so if people do not have scripture to back up what they say then makesure you take it with a grain of salt. also just because someone has scripture does not mean that they are interpreting it properly. but as to the latter you will learn as you grow in the Lord. hope this helped

ajdiamond

Aug 18, 2011
Minnesota
I literally get worn out just thinking about how to sort this mess out.

Exactly. The truth is that you are not going to think your way to God. And this is total nonsense to the natural man because all he has is his thinking, what else is there? Yet, the auto-thinking that takes place in the mind is enmity against God. Fear not though, there is a rest to the children of God from this labour of thinking, thinking, thinking.

Here is the secret. Be still and know God. Be still. Be Still. How?

Breathe. Breathe, in and out. Focus on your breath. In and out through the nose. Just breathe, close your eyes and breathe. Focus on the breath. Do you notice how the mind quiets down? How the yadda yadda yadda, blah blah blah ceases or is dim? One thing that every person on earth has in common in the natural, is that we all breathe. And breath is the avenue we take to commune with the Divine. (in the bible, spirit in the OT and NT is ruach in Hebrew and pneuma in Greek, and they both mean breath. Selah. Ponder that.)

In focusing on breath, you will discover that you have a quiet serene space within you, an area within to be centered in. And from here, from that space, we commune with Spirit, abide in Christ, hear the Word. The good news is that the kingdom of God is within you. You have direct access to the Father, wherever you are. You need not say words up into the air and hope the god of tradition, a god in the sky hears them and fixes things for you. And there's no need to go to a temple made with hands and have a man intervene to God on your behalf.

The kingdom of God is within you. The mind of Christ, the Spirit of Christ, the Love and Eternal Life of God, the Wisdom of God is in you now. Breathe your way to it. Focus on your breath for a few minutes and then on an inbreath whisper Father. Seek ye first the kingdom of God, my friend. Be still and know our Father.

A word of warning: Our self is so filled with fear. And that fear will push us to think about this post and debate it and argue about it, rather than just do it for 5 minutes. Fear Not.

We are the temple of God. And most know no other way than to be centered in the outer courts. Go within, to the Holy of Holies, to the secret place of The Most High. The Father awaits.

Comm.Arnold

Apr 7, 2011
Jesus said in Matthew 6, "And when ye pray, thou shalt not be as the hypocrits are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, they have their reward. But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret. And when thy Father which is in secret shall reward thee openly."

But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions as the heathen do: for they think they shall be heard for their much speaking. Be not ye therefore like unto them. For your Father knoweth what thing ye have need of before ye ask him."

It seems these verses tell you how to insure the Father will hear your prayers. If you do it in secret, no one else can even hear the prayer except the Father, and thus, it'll be rewarded by the Father.

Very good points as well FHII, do not ever misuse prayer as something to show off with. It as though you are saying look at me I am christian aren't I special ? It is very arrogant and God has no use for it. Also it is written in Isaiah I believe to pray fervently pray like you mean it get down on your knees if you have to even better yell if you have to. God is all knowing and all seeing so he should hear you if you are sincere.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Very good points as well FHII, do not ever misuse prayer as something to show off with. It as though you are saying look at me I am christian aren't I special ? It is very arrogant and God has no use for it. Also it is written in Isaiah I believe to pray fervently pray like you mean it get down on your knees if you have to even better yell if you have to. God is all knowing and all seeing so he should hear you if you are sincere.
Yes... That's the primary point of the scripture here. However, the promise that God will hear and reward is still given. Pray in secret, and you have assurance that God is listening and only God.

Comm.Arnold

Apr 7, 2011
Yes... That's the primary point of the scripture here. However, the promise that God will hear and reward is still given. Pray in secret, and you have assurance that God is listening and only God.

FHII brother I love you. How about a big Jesus filled hug ?

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think the whole idea of talking to the wrong Jesus is crap. Sorry...but I mean it. Jesus is God...if you are sincere about talking with God He is not going to trick you. He wants to be in relationship with you!

It is hard enough finding God in the BS of this world - why would He make it harder? Please, Please, continue to talk with Him - He is your salvation!

judd

Apr 2, 2010
Nigeria
One thing I believe when I pray is that God( even if I dont know His real name) knows my heart. He knows who prays to Him. I can call God my own name so far He knows my heart that I am talking to Him. I was born into this world I never created myself. I pity humans because most times we are controlled by different types of spirit which leave pains, troubles, shame .......after they leave us.

Jesus Christ lives forever.

wilheard

Sep 2, 2011
Philippines
If you are really sincere about It? jeremiah 33:3 It should help.
and just want to let you know that there exist two kinds of worlds. The inner world and the outer world. The outer world is the world that you see outside. The sphere of influence, the atmosphere and the environment, as well as everything you believed in, like religious beliefs. People in the outer world do not know what really happening in the inner world. You have to have a conduit tho the inner world for you to be able to know what is happening there, or else, you will be spiritually blind. If you are spiritually blind, You are dependent only on your five senses. When you are dependent on your five senses, you are limited. The things beyond your five senses can only be known through faith.

Not all those who preach the Word of God know what the inner world means. They are only dependent on the knowledge that they had learned about religion in the outer world.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey, I'm all for love! You ain't being sarcastic, are you? Hard to tell when we type stuff instead of say it.