How do we understand the name "I AM that I AM?" in Exodus 3:14

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

tigger 2

Oct 19, 2017
port angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The New Bible Dictionary, Douglas (ed.), 1962, pp. 478, 479, published by Eerdmans, explains Exodus 3 well:

“Strictly speaking, Yahweh [or ‘Jehovah’ in traditional English form] is the only ‘name’ of God .... Elohim [the Hebrew word translated ‘God’ in English] says, ‘this [YHWH] is my name for ever’ (Ex. 3:15). Yahweh [Jehovah], therefore, in contrast with Elohim [‘God’], is a proper noun, the name of a person .... He [Moses] inquires, ‘when ... the children of Israel ... shall say, what (mah [in Hebrew]) is his name? What shall I say unto them?’ (Ex. 3:13). The normal way to ask a name is to use the [Hebrew] pronoun ; to use mah invites an answer which goes further and gives the meaning (‘what?’) or substance of the name.”

“Nevertheless, Exod. 3 does not appear to give a new name for the first time but the explanation of a name known already but now identified as the saving God of Israel....” - The New International Dictionary of New Testament Theology, p. 69, Vol. 2, Zondervan, 1986.

In its commentary to Exodus 3:14, the JPS Tanakh, Jewish Study Bible, Oxford Edition states:

"God's proper name disclosed in the next verse is YHVH (spelled yod-heh-vav-heh. In Heb., in ancient times, the "vav" was pronounced "w"). But here God first tells Moses its meaning; ehyeh-asher-ehyeh, probably best translated as "I will be what I will be" meaning: "My nature will become evident from my actions."

“The name of God

“Israel’s ancestors knew God as ‘the LORD’, Yahweh (or Jehovah) (Genesis 2:4; Gen 12:1; Gen 26:2; Gen 28:21; Gen 49:18), but the name meant little to the Israelites of Moses’ time. God’s revelation to Moses in the ‘I am’ statement of Exodus 3:14 was an explanation of what the name Yahweh should have meant to God’s people.” - Bridgeway Bible Commentary.

“God had made Himself known to Abraham as Jehovah (Genesis 15:7). But here [Ex. 3:14] He gives the explanation of His name Jehovah. The patriarchs knew the name Jehovah, but the blessed significance of that name was not known to them.” - Arno Gaebelein's Annotated Bible.

NET Bible fn. for Ex, 3:14,15 - “First the verb ‘I AM’ [ehyeh] was used (v. 14) in place of the name to indicate its meaning and to remind Moses of God’s promise to be with him (v. 12). Now in v. 15 the actual name is used for clear identification: ‘Yahweh…has sent me.’ This is the name that the patriarchs invoked and proclaimed in the land of Canaan.”

So we see that Moses is really asking at Ex. 3:13, “when the children of Israel shall say ‘what is the meaning [mah] of his name?’ What shall I say to them?” Therefore, what is given in Ex. 3:14 is not his name at all (which they all knew already) but the meaning (or “explanation”) of his personal name YHWH (“Jehovah.”) That name (which even Moses knew at this time - his mother’s name, in fact, at Ex. 6:20, means “Jehovah is glory” according to Strong’s Exhaustive Concordance) is plainly stated in Ex. 3:15 and obviously is to be known and used as God’s personal name forever by all his true worshipers. Contrast the 7000 times that “Jehovah” is clearly used as God’s name in the scriptures with how many times “I AM” (or ehyeh) is clearly used for God’s name (none)!

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The New Bible Dictionary, Douglas (ed.), 1962, pp. 478, 479, published by Eerdmans, explains Exodus 3 well:

“Strictly speaking, Yahweh [or ‘Jehovah’ in traditional English form] is the only ‘name’ of God .... Elohim [the Hebrew word translated ‘God’ in English] says, ‘this [YHWH] is my name for ever’ (Ex. 3:15). Yahweh [Jehovah], therefore, in contrast with Elohim [‘God’], is a proper noun, the name of a person .... He [Moses] inquires, ‘when ... the children of Israel ... shall say, what (mah [in Hebrew]) is his name? What shall I say unto them?’ (Ex. 3:13). The normal way to ask a name is to use the [Hebrew] pronoun ; to use mah invites an answer which goes further and gives the meaning (‘what?’) or substance of the name.”

“Nevertheless, Exod. 3 does not appear to give a new name for the first time but the explanation of a name known already but now identified as the saving God of Israel....” - The New International Dictionary of New Testament Theology, p. 69, Vol. 2, Zondervan, 1986.

In its commentary to Exodus 3:14, the JPS Tanakh, Jewish Study Bible, Oxford Edition states:

"God's proper name disclosed in the next verse is YHVH (spelled yod-heh-vav-heh. In Heb., in ancient times, the "vav" was pronounced "w"). But here God first tells Moses its meaning; ehyeh-asher-ehyeh, probably best translated as "I will be what I will be" meaning: "My nature will become evident from my actions."

“The name of God

“Israel’s ancestors knew God as ‘the LORD’, Yahweh (or Jehovah) (Genesis 2:4; Gen 12:1; Gen 26:2; Gen 28:21; Gen 49:18), but the name meant little to the Israelites of Moses’ time. God’s revelation to Moses in the ‘I am’ statement of Exodus 3:14 was an explanation of what the name Yahweh should have meant to God’s people.” - Bridgeway Bible Commentary.

“God had made Himself known to Abraham as Jehovah (Genesis 15:7). But here [Ex. 3:14] He gives the explanation of His name Jehovah. The patriarchs knew the name Jehovah, but the blessed significance of that name was not known to them.” - Arno Gaebelein's Annotated Bible.

NET Bible fn. for Ex, 3:14,15 - “First the verb ‘I AM’ [ehyeh] was used (v. 14) in place of the name to indicate its meaning and to remind Moses of God’s promise to be with him (v. 12). Now in v. 15 the actual name is used for clear identification: ‘Yahweh…has sent me.’ This is the name that the patriarchs invoked and proclaimed in the land of Canaan.”

So we see that Moses is really asking at Ex. 3:13, “when the children of Israel shall say ‘what is the meaning [mah] of his name?’ What shall I say to them?” Therefore, what is given in Ex. 3:14 is not his name at all (which they all knew already) but the meaning (or “explanation”) of his personal name YHWH (“Jehovah.”) That name (which even Moses knew at this time - his mother’s name, in fact, at Ex. 6:20, means “Jehovah is glory” according to Strong’s Exhaustive Concordance) is plainly stated in Ex. 3:15 and obviously is to be known and used as God’s personal name forever by all his true worshipers. Contrast the 7000 times that “Jehovah” is clearly used as God’s name in the scriptures with how many times “I AM” (or ehyeh) is clearly used for God’s name (none)!
Lots of conjecture and maybes and "it appears" but alas you are forcing conclusions you cannot hope to prove and then making decisions based on your forced conclusions.

The simple fact is that God said His name is "I Am" (eh yeh) not the consonants or Yahweh or jehovah. That is from I am that I am.

YOu forget that the Jews wrote just the consonants and purposely omitted the vowel points after they returned form Babylon to avoid blaspheming HIs name.

And the ancients were big on name meanings. Teh simple fact is that Israel did not know th ename of God (eh-yeh) until God told Moses to tell them His name.

Using all sorts of study tools is nice (though forbidden by the Watchtower) but erven they write the stuff as possibilities. I prefer to stick with what Scripture simply says without having to add all the guess work you did.

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
When Moses asked God his name, God replied "I am that I am" which indicates God is TOO BIG and TOO AWESOME to be disrespected by having a name slapped on him as if he was just another of the many heathen "named gods"..:)

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When Moses asked God his name, God replied "I am that I am" (...)
And again, that is only a little part of what God said to Moses.
Actually, that is just a little part of the whole answer of God. This is it:

Exo. 3:
11 However, Moses said to the true God: “Who am I that I should go to Pharaoh and bring the Israelites out of Egypt?”
12 To this he said: “I will prove to be with you, and this is the sign for you that it was I who sent you: After you have brought the people out of Egypt, you people will serve the true God on this mountain.”

13 But Moses said to the true God: “Suppose I go to the Israelites and say to them, ‘The God of your forefathers has sent me to you,’ and they say to me, ‘What is his name?’ What should I say to them?” 14 So God said to Moses: “I Will Become What I Choose to Become.” And he added: “This is what you are to say to the Israelites, ‘I Will Become has sent me to you.’” 15 Then God said once more to Moses:

“This is what you are to say to the Israelites, ‘Jehovah the God of your forefathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you.This is my name forever, and this is how I am to be remembered from generation to generation. 16 Now go, and gather the elders of Israel and say to them, ‘Jehovah the God of your forefathers has appeared to me, the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, and he said: “I have certainly taken notice of you and of what is being done to you in Egypt. 17 So I say, I will take you away from affliction at the hands of the Egyptians to the land of the Canaanites, the Hittites, the Amorites, the Perizzites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites, to a land flowing with milk and honey.”’

18 “They will certainly listen to your voice, and you will go, you and the elders of Israel, to the king of Egypt, and you men should say to him: ‘Jehovah the God of the Hebrews has communicated with us. So, please, let us make a three-day journey into the wilderness so that we may sacrifice to Jehovah our God.’ 19 But I myself well know that the king of Egypt will not give you permission to go unless a mighty hand compels him. 20 So I will have to stretch out my hand and strike Egypt with all my extraordinary acts that I will do in it, and after that he will send you out. 21 And I will give this people favor in the eyes of the Egyptians, and when you go, you will by no means go empty-handed. 22 Each woman must ask her neighbor and the woman lodging in her house for articles of silver and of gold as well as clothing, and you will put them on your sons and your daughters; and you will plunder the Egyptians.”
Read the whole thing. :Bestest:

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Naturally, satan wants people to disrespect and belittle God by slapping a name on him, so they shouldn't let satan make a sucker out of them..:)
Christians are the children of God and we should therefore address him as Father; Jesus spelt it out- "This is how you should pray- "Our Father which art in heaven..."
Jesus never called him 'Jehovah' or any other name and neither should we..:)

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Naturally, satan wants people to disrespect and belittle God by slapping a name on him, so they shouldn't let satan make a sucker out of them..:)
Christians are the children of God and we should therefore address him as Father; Jesus spelt it out- "This is how you should pray- "Our Father which art in heaven..."
I can see you don't like the name of God. That is probably why you are by yourself.

Acts 15:14 Symeon has related thoroughly how God for the first time turned his attention to the nations to take out of them a people for his name. 15 And with this the words of the Prophets agree, just as it is written:
16 ‘After these things I will return and raise up again the tent of David that is fallen down; I will rebuild its ruins and restore it, 17 so that the men who remain may earnestly seek Jehovah, together with people of all the nations, people who are called by my name, says Jehovah, who is doing these things, 18 known from of old.’ [Am. 9:11,12]
19 Therefore, my decision is not to trouble those from the nations who are turning to God ...

... and that is sad :(

Mal. 3:16 At that time those who fear Jehovah spoke with one another, each one with his companion, and Jehovah kept paying attention and listening. And a book of remembrance was written before him for those fearing Jehovah and for those meditating on his name.
17And they will be mine,” says Jehovah of armies, “in the day when I produce a special property. I will show them compassion, just as a man shows compassion to his son who serves him. 18 And you will again see the distinction between a righteous person and a wicked person, between one serving God and one not serving him.”

John 12:28 Father, glorify your name.” Then a voice came out of heaven: “I have glorified it and will glorify it again.”

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When Moses asked God his name, God replied "I am that I am" which indicates God is TOO BIG and TOO AWESOME to be disrespected by having a name slapped on him
LOL If that were true, God would not have actually slapped a name on himself in the very next verse. What do you say about that Happy?

tigger 2

Oct 19, 2017
port angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Many people recorded in the Bible were given personal names praising Jehovah as the Father (e.g. “Abijah,” “Abiah,” “Joab,” etc.). No such names ever praised him as the Son, Messiah, Holy Spirit, etc.

Straightforward statements of Scripture actually identify Jehovah as the Father (e.g. Is. 64:8 - “O Jehovah, thou art our Father,” ASV) but never as the Son, Messiah, Firstborn, etc.

The unique personal name 'Jehovah' is always applied to the Father (never the Son, etc.): in Ps 110, for example, the heavenly glorified Jesus sits at the right hand OF Jehovah (cf. Acts 2:33-36 and Eph 1:17, 20); “Yet it pleased Jehovah to bruise [the Messiah]” - Is. 53:10, ASV; Jesus does his work “in the majesty of the name of Jehovah HIS GOD” - Micah 5:4, ASV; “I will tell of the decree: Jehovah said unto me [Christ], Thou art my son; This day have I begotten thee.” - Ps 2:7, ASV (cf. Acts 13:33); “The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, Against Jehovah and against his anointed [Christ]” - Ps. 2:2, ASV (cf. Acts 4:25, 26).

Isn’t it clear that “Jehovah” is the name of the Father only? Jehovah is the Father’s unique personal name. No other person has that personal name. (In cases where more than one person really do share the same personal name in the Bible writings and there is a possibility of confusing the identity of them, that personal name is usually further identified: For example: “Simon who is called Peter” - Matt. 4:18, RSV; “Simon, the Cananaean” - Matt. 10:4, RSV; “Simon, a tanner”- Acts 10:6, RSV.)

It would certainly be foolish not to do this, and we continue the same custom today. And yet the only time this most important of all personal names [”Jehovah”] is further identified, IT IS ALWAYS AS THE FATHER!) Jehovah is the Father only. But trinitarians are forced to deny this because only Jehovah (the Father alone) is God - 2 Ki. 19:19; Is. 37:16; 45:5, 21, 22, ASV. Only the Father (Jehovah alone) is God!

The Personal Name “Jehovah”

“5. ‘Jehovah’ - The name most distinctive of God as the God of Israel is Jehovah .... The meaning may with some confidence be inferred ... to be that of the simple future, yahweh, ‘he will be.’ It does not express causation, nor existence in a metaphysical sense, but the covenant promise of the Divine presence, both at the immediate time and in the Messianic age of the future.... It is the personal name of God.... Characteristic of the OT is its insistence on the possible knowledge of God as a person; and Jehovah is His name as a person. It is illogical, certainly, that the later Hebrews should have shrunk from its pronunciation, in view of the appropriateness of the name and of the OT insistence on the personality of God, who as a person has this name. [The ASV] quite correctly adopts the transliteration ‘Jehovah’ to emphasize its significance and purpose as a personal name of God revealed.” - The International Standard Bible Encyclopedia, p. 1266, Vol. 2, Eerdmans, 1984.

So the ASV properly translated the thousands of places in the Holy Scriptures where this Holy Name appears as “Jehovah.” Unfortunately the vast majority of Bibles today still follow the dishonest tradition of changing those thousands of instances into “LORD.”[11]

Jehovah denotes specifically the one true God, whose people the Jews were, and who made them the guardians of his truth. .... The substitution of the word Lord is most unhappy, for it in no way represents the meaning of the sacred name.” - p. 220, Smith’s Bible Dictionary, Hendrickson Publ.
………………

“the Israelite name for God, YHWH, probably pronounced Yahweh. (The RSV, following ancient synagogue practice [tradition], SUBSTITUTES ‘the LORD’….)” - Fn. for Ex. 3:14 in The New Oxford Annotated Bible, 1977.
………………
“It is merely a question of a Jewish tradition and how various Christian Scholars handle that tradition.” - New Open Bible - NKJV, Word study on Exodus 3:15.
……….……
“The name of God is described as his ‘holy name’ more than all other adjectival qualifications taken together. It was this sense of the sacredness of the name that finally led to the obtuse [stupid] refusal to use ‘Yahweh’ [or ‘Jehovah’], leading as it has done to a deep loss of the sense of the divine name in [English Bibles] (with the notable exception of JB).” - p. 813, New Bible Dictionary, Tyndale House Publishers, 1984.
……………..

Jehovah, the special and significant name (not merely an appellative title such as Lord) by which God revealed himself to the ancient Hebrews” - p. 330, Today’s Dictionary of the Bible, Bethany House Publ., 1982.

The personal name of the Father is YHWH in Hebrew manuscripts and is found about 6000 times in the OT! Many uses of this name in the OT are by the Father Himself.

Reactions: Wrangler

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Your version of the Bible chose to render Ego Eimi as I am.
When people choose to be willfully ignorant in order to bolster their false doctrines, there is absolutely no hope. In fact it is quite annoying.

Every English translation of John 8:58 says exactly what is said in the KJB. And some have correctly capitalized it (as should have the KJB). It is now your solemn duty before God to believe that JESUS IS GOD.

New International Version
"Very truly I tell you," Jesus answered, "before Abraham was born, I am!"
New Living Translation
Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, before Abraham was even born, I Am!"
English Standard Version
Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I am.”
Berean Study Bible
“Truly, truly, I tell you,” Jesus declared, “before Abraham was born, I am!
New American Standard Bible
Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I am."
King James Bible
Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.
Holman Christian Standard Bible
Jesus said to them, "I assure you: Before Abraham was, I am."
International Standard Version
Jesus told them, "Truly, I tell all of you emphatically, before there was an Abraham, I AM!"
[This is how every English translation should have been written]
NET Bible
Jesus said to them, "I tell you the solemn truth, before Abraham came into existence, I am!"
Aramaic Bible in Plain English
Yeshua said to them: “Timeless truth I speak to you: Before Abraham would exist, I AM THE LIVING GOD.”
GOD'S WORD® Translation
Jesus told them, "I can guarantee this truth: Before Abraham was ever born, I am."
Jubilee Bible 2000
Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I AM.
King James 2000 Bible
American King James Version
Jesus said to them, Truly, truly, I say to you, Before Abraham was, I am.
American Standard Version
Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was born, I am.
Douay-Rheims Bible
Jesus said to them: Amen, amen I say to you, before Abraham was made, I am.
Darby Bible Translation
Jesus said to them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.
English Revised Version
Webster's Bible Translation
Jesus said to them, Verily, verily, I say to you, Before Abraham was, I am.
Weymouth New Testament
"In most solemn truth," answered Jesus, "I tell you that before Abraham came into existence, I am."
World English Bible
Jesus said to them, "Most certainly, I tell you, before Abraham came into existence, I AM."
Young's Literal Translation
Jesus said to them, 'Verily, verily, I say to you, Before Abraham's coming -- I am;'

• Love
Reactions: Keturah

tigger 2

Oct 19, 2017
port angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“How long shall there be lies in the heart of the prophets who prophesy lies, and who prophesy the deceit of their own heart, who think to make my people forget my name by their dreams which they tell one another, even as their fathers forgot my name for Baal [‘Lord’]?” - Jer. 23:26-27, RSV. “Our fathers have inherited nought but lies, .... they shall know that my name is Jehovah.” - Jer. 16:19,21, ASV.

“God said further to Moses, You tell the Israelites: JEHOVAH ... has sent me to you. This is My name forever and by this I am to be remembered through all generations.” - Ex. 3:15, MLB (Cf. NEB, LB, ASV, KJIIV).

“Fill their faces with shame; that they may seek thy name, [O Jehovah - ASV] .... That men may know that thou, whose name alone is JEHOVAH, art the most high over all the earth.” - Ps. 83:16, 18, KJV, LB.

“HALLELUJAH [‘Praise JEHOVAH’]! O servants of Jehovah, praise his name. Blessed is his name forever and forever.” - Ps. 113:1, 2 - Living Bible.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Many people recorded in the Bible were given personal names praising Jehovah as the Father (e.g. “Abijah,” “Abiah,” “Joab,” etc.). No such names ever praised him as the Son, Messiah, Holy Spirit, etc.

Straightforward statements of Scripture actually identify Jehovah as the Father (e.g. Is. 64:8 - “O Jehovah, thou art our Father,” ASV) but never as the Son, Messiah, Firstborn, etc.

The unique personal name 'Jehovah' is always applied to the Father (never the Son, etc.): in Ps 110, for example, the heavenly glorified Jesus sits at the right hand OF Jehovah (cf. Acts 2:33-36 and Eph 1:17, 20); “Yet it pleased Jehovah to bruise [the Messiah]” - Is. 53:10, ASV; Jesus does his work “in the majesty of the name of Jehovah HIS GOD” - Micah 5:4, ASV; “I will tell of the decree: Jehovah said unto me [Christ], Thou art my son; This day have I begotten thee.” - Ps 2:7, ASV (cf. Acts 13:33); “The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, Against Jehovah and against his anointed [Christ]” - Ps. 2:2, ASV (cf. Acts 4:25, 26).

Isn’t it clear that “Jehovah” is the name of the Father only? Jehovah is the Father’s unique personal name. No other person has that personal name. (In cases where more than one person really do share the same personal name in the Bible writings and there is a possibility of confusing the identity of them, that personal name is usually further identified: For example: “Simon who is called Peter” - Matt. 4:18, RSV; “Simon, the Cananaean” - Matt. 10:4, RSV; “Simon, a tanner”- Acts 10:6, RSV.)

It would certainly be foolish not to do this, and we continue the same custom today. And yet the only time this most important of all personal names [”Jehovah”] is further identified, IT IS ALWAYS AS THE FATHER!) Jehovah is the Father only. But trinitarians are forced to deny this because only Jehovah (the Father alone) is God - 2 Ki. 19:19; Is. 37:16; 45:5, 21, 22, ASV. Only the Father (Jehovah alone) is God!

The Personal Name “Jehovah”

“5. ‘Jehovah’ - The name most distinctive of God as the God of Israel is Jehovah .... The meaning may with some confidence be inferred ... to be that of the simple future, yahweh, ‘he will be.’ It does not express causation, nor existence in a metaphysical sense, but the covenant promise of the Divine presence, both at the immediate time and in the Messianic age of the future.... It is the personal name of God.... Characteristic of the OT is its insistence on the possible knowledge of God as a person; and Jehovah is His name as a person. It is illogical, certainly, that the later Hebrews should have shrunk from its pronunciation, in view of the appropriateness of the name and of the OT insistence on the personality of God, who as a person has this name. [The ASV] quite correctly adopts the transliteration ‘Jehovah’ to emphasize its significance and purpose as a personal name of God revealed.” - The International Standard Bible Encyclopedia, p. 1266, Vol. 2, Eerdmans, 1984.

So the ASV properly translated the thousands of places in the Holy Scriptures where this Holy Name appears as “Jehovah.” Unfortunately the vast majority of Bibles today still follow the dishonest tradition of changing those thousands of instances into “LORD.”[11]

Jehovah denotes specifically the one true God, whose people the Jews were, and who made them the guardians of his truth. .... The substitution of the word Lord is most unhappy, for it in no way represents the meaning of the sacred name.” - p. 220, Smith’s Bible Dictionary, Hendrickson Publ.
………………

“the Israelite name for God, YHWH, probably pronounced Yahweh. (The RSV, following ancient synagogue practice [tradition], SUBSTITUTES ‘the LORD’….)” - Fn. for Ex. 3:14 in The New Oxford Annotated Bible, 1977.
………………
“It is merely a question of a Jewish tradition and how various Christian Scholars handle that tradition.” - New Open Bible - NKJV, Word study on Exodus 3:15.
……….……
“The name of God is described as his ‘holy name’ more than all other adjectival qualifications taken together. It was this sense of the sacredness of the name that finally led to the obtuse [stupid] refusal to use ‘Yahweh’ [or ‘Jehovah’], leading as it has done to a deep loss of the sense of the divine name in [English Bibles] (with the notable exception of JB).” - p. 813, New Bible Dictionary, Tyndale House Publishers, 1984.
……………..

Jehovah, the special and significant name (not merely an appellative title such as Lord) by which God revealed himself to the ancient Hebrews” - p. 330, Today’s Dictionary of the Bible, Bethany House Publ., 1982.

The personal name of the Father is YHWH in Hebrew manuscripts and is found about 6000 times in the OT! Many uses of this name in the OT are by the Father Himself.
That’s just your human opinion! Just kidding!! Outstanding analysis, as usual.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When people choose to be willfully ignorant in order to bolster their false doctrines, there is absolutely no hope. In fact it is quite annoying.

Every English translation of John 8:58 says exactly what is said in the KJB. And some have correctly capitalized it (as should have the KJB). It is now your solemn duty before God to believe that JESUS IS GOD.

New International Version
"Very truly I tell you," Jesus answered, "before Abraham was born, I am!"
New Living Translation
Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, before Abraham was even born, I Am!"
English Standard Version
Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I am.”
Berean Study Bible
“Truly, truly, I tell you,” Jesus declared, “before Abraham was born, I am!
New American Standard Bible
Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I am."
King James Bible
Holman Christian Standard Bible
Jesus said to them, "I assure you: Before Abraham was, I am."
International Standard Version
Jesus told them, "Truly, I tell all of you emphatically, before there was an Abraham, I AM!"
[This is how every English translation should have been written]
NET Bible
Jesus said to them, "I tell you the solemn truth, before Abraham came into existence, I am!"
Aramaic Bible in Plain English
Yeshua said to them: “Timeless truth I speak to you: Before Abraham would exist, I AM THE LIVING GOD.”
GOD'S WORD® Translation
Jesus told them, "I can guarantee this truth: Before Abraham was ever born, I am."
Jubilee Bible 2000
Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I AM.
King James 2000 Bible
American King James Version
Jesus said to them, Truly, truly, I say to you, Before Abraham was, I am.
American Standard Version
Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was born, I am.
Douay-Rheims Bible
Jesus said to them: Amen, amen I say to you, before Abraham was made, I am.
Darby Bible Translation
Jesus said to them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.
English Revised Version
Webster's Bible Translation
Jesus said to them, Verily, verily, I say to you, Before Abraham was, I am.
Weymouth New Testament
"In most solemn truth," answered Jesus, "I tell you that before Abraham came into existence, I am."
World English Bible
Jesus said to them, "Most certainly, I tell you, before Abraham came into existence, I AM."
Young's Literal Translation
Jesus said to them, 'Verily, verily, I say to you, Before Abraham's coming -- I am;'
What part of before Abraham was do you not grasp sir? What has I am to do with anything anyway? I am is not God's name any more than it was Jesus' name. It is not my name either. Why are you using something unrelated to proving a point. What question was Jesus answering? Was he God or how he could say he knew Abraham, please with an open mind, reexamine what was written Enoch.

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I can see you don't like the name of God. That is probably why you are by yourself..

Some JW women are quite dishy, but I could never take up with them as long as they keep calling God 'Jehovah'.
If they called him 'God' they might be in with a chance..;)

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some JW women are quite dishy, but I could never take up with them as long as they keep calling God 'Jehovah'.
If they called him 'God' they might be in with a chance..;)
Bizarre. God is a type of being or title. Your name is not Man or Mister. (Capitalizing the word changes nothing). The name of Jesus' God is YHWH (in Hebrew) or Jehovah (in English). Just like the name of his son is Yeshua in Hebrew or Jesus in English.

Reactions: tigger 2

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Bizarre. God is a type of being or title. Your name is not Man or Mister. (Capitalizing the word changes nothing). The name of Jesus' God is YHWH (in Hebrew) or Jehovah (in English). Just like the name of his son is Yeshua in Hebrew or Jesus in English.

My dads name was Cyril but I'd never dream of disrespecting him by calling him that, I always called him 'dad', just like other kids also called theirs 'dad' or 'pop'.
Likewise Christians are God's children, so we'd never dream of calling him 'Jehovah' or anything else..:)
"..I will be a Father to you, and you shall be my sons and daughters" (2 Cor 6:14-18 )

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Worshipers of Jehovah make him known by name to others. This is how the nations with their gods know which is the true God. Thus they collaborate with the sanctification of the name of God, which people have stained so much.

Psal. 83:18 May people know that you, whose name is Jehovah, You alone are the Most High over all the earth.

That is why we pray:

Matt. 6:9 Our Father in the heavens, let your name be sanctified.

Those who don't know the name of the true God don't even know him in the real sense, which is why agnostics are so insistent on believing in one nameless universal god for everyone, regardless of religion or even Jesus' or the Bible's teachings.

Internet Christian forums are full of those individuals who pretend to be Christians, but are not really.

Reactions: Wrangler

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My dads name was Cyril but I'd never dream of disrespecting him by calling him that, I always called him 'dad', just like other kids also called theirs 'dad' or 'pop'.
Likewise Christians are God's children, so we'd never dream of calling him 'Jehovah' or anything else..:)
"..I will be a Father to you, and you shall be my sons and daughters" (2 Cor 6:14-18 )
Nonsense. When someone asks what is your father's name, you should properly answer Cyril.

Likewise, when someone asks who is Jesus' God's name, you should properly answer YHWH or (Jehovah).

"Father" and "son" are relational descriptions, not a personal name. How are you related to this person? She is my cousin. He is my brother. Perhaps true, but their personal names are Jill and Jack.

Adam

Nov 30, 2022
X
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
YHWH can also be translated as:

I AM WHAT I AM
I WAS WHAT I AM
I AM WHAT I WAS
I WAS WHAT I WAS
I WILL BE WHAT I AM
I AM WHAT I WILL BE
I WAS WHAT I WILL BE
I WILL BE WHAT I WAS
I WILL BE WHAT I WILL BE

Or in other words, God is unchanging, the center of all, which everything flows around, the unmoved mover. God in the future, God in the past, there is no such thing, God simply, eternally IS.

I AM THAT I AM

God is also the only consciousness that truly exists, all other beings derive their existence from God's consciousness.

The very nature of God's existence is incomprehensibly holy to us. It is completely beyond our way of thinking. We are like a bacteria trying to comprehend Einstein's equations.

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Imagine that I say to someone: "I am a personal friend of the President of South Africa" and that person says to me "Really? And what is his name?" ...

If I say, "I don't really know, because people called him in too many ways."

Do you think that person is going to believe me?

Adam

Nov 30, 2022
X
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Imagine that I say to someone: "I am a personal friend of the President of South Africa" and that person says to me "Really? And what is his name?" ...

If I say, "I don't really know, because people called him in too many ways."

Do you think that person is going to believe me?
"I am a personal friend of the creator of the universe"
"Really? And what is his name?"
"The last time I told someone His name, their entire body transformed into a column of ethereal fire and shot up into the sky, so I don't say it out loud anymore"