How Do You Define Death?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Yeah...and that would go for all scripture, I'd think.

"As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction."
2 Peter 3:16
@Nancy Searching verse there...

Happy new year, btw....

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When Paul said that he would rather die so that he could be with the Lord, he meant immediately. And the fact that when Jesus returns he will bring those saints who have died with Him, from where were those spirits if not heaven. To be born again is to put on immortality, so our consciousness doesn't end at death. Our mind and spirit are immortal, and our body must die and then wait for the resurrection to put on immortality. There is nothing pagan about what the Bible says.

If you and others don't want believe in death, then don't, I'm going to disagree with you.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nowhere in the scriptures does it say it's just the body that's dead. The scriptures when talking about death is talking about the death of a person. Those who believe we have souls instead of believing the truth that we are souls, will never believe in death. They will never believe it's the person who dies. When God said Adam was dust and he was returning to the dust God was talking to the person who was Adam when God said that, God wasn't talking only to some part of Adam but God was to the person who was Adam.

We disagree on the Big Picture.

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh and if Jesus isn't there I hope there is a restroom nearby...

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
April_Rose said:
I don't see how anybody couldn't believe in a physical death when it's a fact of life.[/Quote\]

Do you truly like what I said April_Rose, or maybe perhaps you don't exactly know what I'm saying. Because all those persons who have died from the old testament times are sleeping in death. They're not aware of anything, they don't and can't talk to anyone. They don't exist anywhere except in the memory of God and won't exist again until the resurrection begins.

Reactions: April_Rose

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I expect we both will know the real truth one day soon. At least, I'm old enough. ;)

My (used to be) best friend will be turning your age tomorrow. She will most likely not remember unless the Nursing Home (hopefully) acknowledges it.
Oh how I miss her as she was!! Made me laugh so hard sometimes and it has been a VERY long time since laughing was part of life for me. Used to be a regular thing, not anymore and, not to mention...so many people have no sense of humor so why even bother? Some folks are the walking dead when it comes to Christ and the things of God. And, some are the walking dead because of being surrounded by a horrid world with people doing horrid things continually. I for one, hope He returns today!!! AMEN?!!

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The danger in believing that the dead are not dead is one becomes a sitting duck for deception. Satan or his minions need only to masquerade (which they do) as a departed loved one feeding any error he chooses to the believers ....and it will be believed.

and so the tentacles of Spiritualism have reached out to entangle the ignorant in teachings designed to entrap.

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Q.T.,
Not to mention that Jesus ONLY spoke in parables when in public.

Matthew 13:34
"All these things spake Jesus unto the multitude in parables; and without a parable spake he not unto them:"

And I do agree Q.T. - "It is the message conveyed that matters."

I say they are used to illustrate the truth of a matter. They are all true to life situations, after all. Even if all the parts or details of the parable never happened...the truth and core message is still the same.
'And the disciples came, and said unto Him,
Why speakest thou unto them in parables?
He answered and said unto them,
Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven,
but to them it is not given.'

(Mat 13:10)

Hi @Nancy,

Jesus spoke in parables following His rejection, which we see in Matthew 12:14, 'Then the Pharisees went out, and held a council against Him, how they might destroy Him.' and in Matthew 12:24, 'But when the Pharisees heard it, they said, This fellow doth not cast out devils, but by Beelzebub the prince of the devils.' Parables are not intended to illustrate but to hide, for only those who had ears to hear would understand them.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
'And the disciples came, and said unto Him,
Why speakest thou unto them in parables?
He answered and said unto them,
Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven,
but to them it is not given.'

(Mat 13:10)

Hi @Nancy,

Jesus spoke in parables following His rejection, which we see in Matthew 12:14, 'Then the Pharisees went out, and held a council against Him, how they might destroy Him.' and in Matthew 12:24, 'But when the Pharisees heard it, they said, This fellow doth not cast out devils, but by Beelzebub the prince of the devils.' Parables are not intended to illustrate but to hide, for only those who had ears to hear would understand them.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris
Parables are for the purpose of illustrating a reality/truth. Those who refuse or are unwilling to see, don't see; instead, they fabricate fantasy. Those who ask, seek and knock have doors opened.

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Parables are for the purpose of illustrating a reality/truth. Those who refuse or are unwilling to see, don't see; instead, they fabricate fantasy. Those who ask, seek and knock have doors opened
Hello @quietthinker

Yes, our Lord Himself tells us what parables are intended to portray in Matthew 13:11, they present 'the mysteries of the Kingdom of God'. The explanation for each parable was given to His disciples, as those who did indeed have ears to hear and hearts open to receive it. It is also recorded for us to receive and believe, as those who have been equally blessed.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited: