How do you 'do' Christmas?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
How do you do Christmas? Do you start at Advent Sunday? Do you put up a tree and if so when? What is your choice of Christmas lunch/dinner? What traditions do you have? It would be interesting to find out what other people do.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I notice my threads never seem to make it very far so I am doing this in the hope that somebody may see it as it flashes past.

Favourite Christmas treat?

Does your tree and decorations have a 'theme'?

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How do you do Christmas? Do you start at Advent Sunday? Do you put up a tree and if so when? What is your choice of Christmas lunch/dinner? What traditions do you have? It would be interesting to find out what other people do.

We do Advent on Sunday, I am leading the First Advent Mass this year Sunday. I think we put our tree up toward the end of Advent and we have honey baked ham for Christmas (though I always wanted Goose because of Scrooge :) )

I notice my threads never seem to make it very far so I am doing this in the hope that somebody may see it as it flashes past.

Favourite Christmas treat?

Does your tree and decorations have a 'theme'?

My absolute favorite Christmas treat is Cherry Cordial candy, it is the best and richest. :) We don't have a theme we just put ornaments on the tree and or wedding ornament

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For me and my house..
Christmas has already started...
Tomorrow is when it absolutely busts loose with the manufacture of truffles all the time.

Then it's a blend of truffles and cookies all the time. Then gingerbread.

Christmas day is the end of all. All the best Christmas memories are from the stuff you do before Christmas... from trimming the tree to baking treats. Decorating the house. Parties and gifts.
As such...
Usually I make gingerbread houses (enough for a neighborhood)

Christmas is my license to behave as I want and no one looks at me strangely. I finally get to live without repressed feelings.

Reactions: Pearl

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hey there...

For us it starts Christmas Eve ...alway has. :)

Christmas Day... We like to eat the main meal about 4pm...

The gift exchange takes place mid morning ...then many snacks until 4pm

I do think this year may be different , we are in lockdown now..and Im pretty sure the ban of no one coming to your house will remain. Im sorry for the kids.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
We do Advent on Sunday, I am leading the First Advent Mass this year Sunday. I think we put our tree up toward the end of Advent and we have honey baked ham for Christmas (though I always wanted Goose because of Scrooge
I have an Advent devotional this year from Tear Fund and plan to use it to help me get in the right spirit rather than just concentrating on the worldly things.
My absolute favorite Christmas treat is Cherry Cordial candy, it is the best and richest. :) We don't have a theme we just put ornaments on the tree and or wedding ornament
My tree usually goes up after the 4th which is a family birthday and I don't really have a theme but like red and gold ornaments with an angel on top. And I don't really know about treats - maybe the Bailey's.

Reactions: historyb

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hey there...

For us it starts Christmas Eve ...alway has. :)

Christmas Day... We like to eat the main meal about 4pm...

The gift exchange takes place mid morning ...then many snacks until 4pm

I do think this year may be different , we are in lockdown now..and Im pretty sure the ban of no one coming to your house will remain. Im sorry for the kids.
I love Christmas Eve when everyone has gone home and it's quiet outside. Some years there's a new moon around that time and if the sky is clear it looks wonderful with Venus shining near it.

Most years our gift exchange is on the Sunday before Christmas when we celebrate Rachael's birthday which is on the 24th (she will be 13 this year) but we don't open them till Christmas morning.

Reactions: Helen

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
For me and my house..
Christmas has already started...
Tomorrow is when it absolutely busts loose with the manufacture of truffles all the time.

Then it's a blend of truffles and cookies all the time. Then gingerbread.

Christmas day is the end of all. All the best Christmas memories are from the stuff you do before Christmas... from trimming the tree to baking treats. Decorating the house. Parties and gifts.
As such...
Usually I make gingerbread houses (enough for a neighborhood)

Christmas is my license to behave as I want and no one looks at me strangely. I finally get to live without repressed feelings.
Sounds good. I used to make loads of mince pies but's a waste of time now as Ray doesn't like them and nobody else will come.

Reactions: Helen and JohnDB

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I didn’t have the heart to take down our Christmas tree... January 2015(?), and still haven’t. Past then we don’t do much decorations here, but I love decorating at my parents house.

My parent’s house has lots of tradition of decorating, gingerbread houses, breadset, etc. My house.... honestly we’re not home many years, frequently visiting one of the three grandparents sets. My daughter and I do bake lots of treats though!

As to the actual religious side: I don’t have a super set schedule, and instead role with whatever feels best that year.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I didn’t have the heart to take down our Christmas tree... January 2015(?), and still haven’t. Past then we don’t do much decorations here, but I love decorating at my parents house.

My parent’s house has lots of tradition of decorating, gingerbread houses, breadset, etc. My house.... honestly we’re not home many years, frequently visiting one of the three grandparents sets. My daughter and I do bake lots of treats though!

As to the actual religious side: I don’t have a super set schedule, and instead role with whatever feels best that year.
Some people love the Christmas atmosphere so much that they go all out with decorations and preparations. I used to be a bit like that but now I'm older I usually stick to a tree and minimal decs. My church doesn't do Christmas as such - no service on the day - so I like to do something for the weeks of Advent to get away from all the material stuff that goes on at this time of year. I don't like to get to the day itself and feel so spiritually empty that there is no meaning to it.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some people love the Christmas atmosphere so much that they go all out with decorations and preparations. I used to be a bit like that but now I'm older I usually stick to a tree and minimal decs. My church doesn't do Christmas as such - no service on the day - so I like to do something for the weeks of Advent to get away from all the material stuff that goes on at this time of year. I don't like to get to the day itself and feel so spiritually empty that there is no meaning to it.
I love the atmosphere... but I’m just not a decorator. My daughter (6) is though, so we’re starting to do more.

As to church services: my church typically does its Christmas celebrations the Sunday before Christmas, giving the 25th itself to family time and worship. I really like that.

Oh- we do act put the nativity story every year with dolls. That’s a big deal for me.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I love the atmosphere... but I’m just not a decorator. My daughter (6) is though, so we’re starting to do more.

As to church services: my church typically does its Christmas celebrations the Sunday before Christmas, giving the 25th itself to family time and worship. I really like that.

Oh- we do act put the nativity story every year with dolls. That’s a big deal for me.
Our church does the Christmas on the Sunday before too. And I have two nativity sets that I put out - one I made over forty years ago for my son and a small one with glass figures.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Other than a tree...we don't seem to do much decorating.
Never really had a desire to. No outside lights...no door wreath...no lawn decorations.

I enjoy those who do go through the trouble of doing all those things. It makes things look wonderful.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Other than a tree...we don't seem to do much decorating.
Never really had a desire to. No outside lights...no door wreath...no lawn decorations.

I enjoy those who do go through the trouble of doing all those things. It makes things look wonderful.
I don't do outdoor decorations either and think they can look a bit tacky but they are fun for the kids.

Reactions: Helen and JohnDB