How do you fight the temptation of sin?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wakka

Jun 4, 2007
It's so hard. I keep on falling into sin
sad.gif

Nov 8, 2007
FASTING. If the Flesh is Weak, the Spirit is Strong Matthew 26:41If you fast and pray, It helps. But this is not sufficient, never take your mind off of the Lord. Always keep him high.

Pariah

Nov 10, 2007
Which sin is that? If you cannot tell me, I understand.Ask Jesus to help you. Ultimately you will have to.In my trials with a particular sin, I have found that watching television and going to movies was a detriment to my walk with Him. So I stopped watching my favorite television programs and stopped going out of my way to watch televisions or watch movies. I can't help it if family members are watching it. I may be in the room for a bit, and may find myself watching, but I did not stay nor care to watch it in full anymore.I feel for you. I couldn't figure out what I was doing that was sowing to my flesh. I have to say, the temptations has dropped off quite a bit, but even then , I lean on Jesus to lead me away from temptations and deliver me from the evil one.The biggest problem I had earlier in life was I made a commitment to Christ. It made me double-minded. I would do the best I can because I made the commitent telling God I would follow Him. But I fall flat on my face so many times, I was miserable.At one time.. in 1994, I had picked up the habit of cussing. One day, I read a pamphlet that convicted me by the scriptures in it for the words of my mouth, but in the end, it led me to make a covenant with my mouth to not to cuss. And so I did. The very next day, I was worse off than I ever was before. I had thoughts as if the devil was bringing me down, "You are not His! If you were His, He would have helped you keep your covenant!" I stopped listening to the devil and being at my wits' end, I prayed to God, "Why aren't You helping me? You know I do not want to do this!" He spoke. Not audible. But being at my wits end, He spoke to me. "You made the covenant. You said you were going to do it. I made the Covenant with you. I said I am going to do it. All I ask from you is to believe on Me." I was humbled that day.It wasn't until later when I was trying to warn believers about Promise Keepers' until one man, a christian mason... said.."Isn't a commitment to follow Christ like a promise? Sure it is." Then I was finally free of all verbal boasts in the flesh by the grace of God.No wonder I was a yo yo. Jesus didn't have confidence in man to ask them to make a commitment to follow him. He simply said, "Follow Me" as in a relationship based on trust that He shall enable you to follow him by faith alone.So I guess you have to go to the Lord in prayer and ask what in you that may be religious that needs to be denied taking credit for overcoming the sin by the flesh.And if that is not the problem.. then ask Him what you are doing that is sowing to the flesh. Are you putting yourself in a position to be tempted?Trust Jesus to be Your Guide. He is the Good Shepherd. I have found that by reading the scriptures.. what few times I remembered.. I was led away from temptations. What times I did not but was sinning, scriptures would come in during.. which only happened a few times there also, but mostly in the end when I find myself mortifying the deeds of the body.At any rate, no one helped me. No one ministered to me. Jesus did. So trust Him to do this. You are His workmanship. He shall do His work in you. He promised all of us. It is just a matter of taking Him at His Word.1 John 3: 3And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.John 6: 28Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God? 29Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent. Psalm 100: 3Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.Ephesians 2: 8For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: 9Not of works, lest any man should boast. 10For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.Philippians 1: 6Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:Hebrews 4: 9There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God. 10For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his. 11Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief. 12For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. 13Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do. 14Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession. 15For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin. 16Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.Hebrews 2: 18For in that he himself hath suffered being tempted, he is able to succour them that are tempted.1 Corinthians 10: 12Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall. 13There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it. 14Wherefore, my dearly beloved, flee from idolatry.Basically why I stopped watching television because of following the characters in the series as if wanting to know what would happen next to the charcters and they are not even real. It was also sowing to my flesh and thus even though I tried to stay away from the obvious, the world has a way of bring the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life into the television series that I used to like every now and then so.. I stopped. It led me to behave in such a way that I needed to be sensitive to My Friend, Jesus, in me. He helped me to not care to watch it anymore.I still need Him to lead me away from tempatations as my mother is inviting me at this moment to watch a DVD movie entitled, "Amazing Grace". I just don't want to no matter "how good" it is. It would just lead me to see other movies again. I just can't afford parctising that kind of escapism again. Jesus is my refuge. I had relied too heavily on the other to escape from the world...all the while it was sowing to my flesh.Not sure if any of this helps you or not in regards to your walk, but if you know of a perticular verse that convicts you or warns you not to do it, write it down and keep it handy, all the while, trusting the Lord to help you over come.John 16: 33These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.I always wondered why He would say that until I realize if I rust Him to do it, He is the One that will overcome it in me. If He can overcome the world, no problem is too big for Him to handle in me.1 Peter 4: 12Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you: 13But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ's sufferings; that, when his glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy. 14If ye be reproached for the name of Christ, happy are ye; for the spirit of glory and of God resteth upon you: on their part he is evil spoken of, but on your part he is glorified. 15But let none of you suffer as a murderer, or as a thief, or as an evildoer, or as a busybody in other men's matters. 16Yet if any man suffer as a Christian, let him not be ashamed; but let him glorify God on this behalf. 17For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God? 18And if the righteous scarcely be saved, where shall the ungodly and the sinner appear? 19Wherefore let them that suffer according to the will of God commit the keeping of their souls to him in well doing, as unto a faithful Creator.I could think of television as something to do away with so nothing I would treasure in the flesh would hold me back if Christ should appear. Putting off the old man with his deeds would also mean being ready to depart from this world for where our treasure is.. there is our hearts also. I don't think I treasured it that much or valued it that much, but then, Jesus should have been My Refuge/ My Escape. Anyway, I am trusting Him to have me abiding in Him and be ready to go when He appears.Jude 1: 24Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy, 25To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen.So again, ultimately, you need to go to Jesus in prayer. You may already know what you need to put away with to stop sowing to the flesh or to stop placing yourself in that position to be tempted. You just need Jesus to help you and believe that He will for He promised to in His Covenant to us. This is to His glory. He will do it. Amen.

Wakka

Jun 4, 2007
It's everything. TV, Internet... it's pasted with perversion and temptation. Every time I find myself drifting towards perversion I go back to square one... where I have to ask God for forgiveness. I do ask Him for help. But it's like there are two people in me telling me to go forward, while one is telling me to not sin. That's a ratio of 2:1. And it's been like that for a while now.And I do stuff to keep myself preoccupied. Mainly it's listening to audio sermons. I have almost 1 Gigabyte full of sermons on my hard drive.[970 MB (1,017,764,349 bytes), 120 audio files to be exact
tongue.gif
.]I find that I sin in almost a daily basis.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
Yea, we need to go to Yahshua in prayers like Pariah said. I believe the Lord has help me numerous times (although I rarely ask) to stay away from Video Games. Stay away from TV. In fact even though, I watch movies sometimes with my parents. Watch TV itself is NOT a sin.The only thing I do on the internet here... is go on here (Christianity Board) and a couple of websites that uses the Strongs Exhaustive Concordance...to help get a better understanding of the Word of God. I thank God for the tools in this modern world. I technically careless about everything. I only care about the Word of God, His ways, fellowshipping with people that loves Truth.Like I said TV, Gaming itself is not a sin...It only becomes one if it is done in excess.I love to sing to Him with His words. I have 5 CD's of Bible scripture songs.JagLovest ye in Christ Yahshua, Lord and Saviour.

Pariah

Nov 10, 2007
Hi Wakka,Well, then ... team up with the Lord. That's two against two. And greater is He that is in you than he or a whole legion that is in the world.Sometimes, it is best to cut yourself off from television and the internet or.. install internet filters that parents use to protect their children on the internet and even putting in a password by typing in random keys, so you would not be tempted to unblock the filters yourself at a later time. Trust the Lord to guide you and to enable you. If you find yourself tempted too much on the internet, take a break away from it and read the scriptures on the works of the flesh versus the fruits of the Spirit. Don't allow yourself to kid yourself on the consequences for we know that those that sow to the flesh shall reap corruption.And believe me, I am not looking to you to get serious or anything. I am saying that I had to believe that Jesus is serious about helping me. I had to surrender to the fact that I am His. I have been bought with a price. Jesus is in me, and He has died a horrible death to save me... and to make me His friend as He is My Friend so that I would no longer live in sin and sin shall not have dominion over me. That is His promise.So every thought we bring into captivity with His help. Every temptation, we bring it to the Lord in prayer. Don't make the mistakes I have made by resorting to my own power in dealing with tempatations by finding a middle ground.. or to get it out of me by writing stories to deal with it. Just surrender and say.. Lord.. help me not to sow to the flesh. Please help me to live as your friend since you are My Friend. Help me to walk with You. Help me to know that what I see, you see.Matthew 6: 22The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light. 23But if thine eye be evil, thy whole body shall be full of darkness. If therefore the light that is in thee be darkness, how great is that darkness!Lust is not love, and love is not lust. Love seeks not its own. But lust does. Psalm 23: 1The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. 2He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. 3He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. 4Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. 5Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. 6Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

Wakka

Jun 4, 2007
That's easier said than done. I don't feel like a "team" with the Lord. I want to improve my communication with the Lord. And to do that I need to be free of Sin.
sad.gif

Jonous

Nov 17, 2007
(Unorthodox Christian;24267)
FASTING. If the Flesh is Weak, the Spirit is Strong Matthew 26:41If you fast and pray, It helps. But this is not sufficient, never take your mind off of the Lord. Always keep him high.
Amen to that! After having fallen so many times into the same sin, I realised this is the only way to fight sin. I also know that if I neglect this "spiritual" fight, I will surely commit the same sin again
sad.gif
. I will share an experience of mine with you. One day as I was reading a passage in the bible, I stumbled on a couple of verses that impressed me. I even talked about them with some brethren of mine. These verses kept coming to my mind for quite a while. Untill one day I fell in the same sin. Then I kneeled before God and I said why God, why do I have this self of mine that tends toward sin? Why don't you just remove that from me so I won't sin again? Why don't you just remove everything I have in me and displease you?You know what the answer was? God reminded me of those verses and it was then I realised they were ment for me! Here they are"Now these are the nations which the LORD left, to prove Israel by them, even as many of Israel as had not known all the wars of Canaan; Only that the generations of the children of Israel might know, to teach them war, at the least such as before knew nothing thereof;" - Judges 3:1Yes we are saved, yes we were reborn, yes we were baptised in declaration of our dead old self and that a new one lives in us...but do these mean we are holy and done with sin? Or is God's salvation imperfect? Now this is a matter to discuss on :angel10:God wants us to learn how to fight those nations inside us, which are none others than our (ex) self. It is of course a fact that if He sees your will to fight, He will fight for you because as Jesus said "for without me ye can do nothing". And the only weapons for this fight are prayer, studying and fasting. Start fighting!God bless you!

Pariah

Nov 10, 2007
Hi Wakka,No matter what, your communication is wide open when it comes to dealing with sin. It's when believers say they haven't sin, that the Lord does not hear.I understand the part about the team. Sorry for giving you that analogy. I did so only because you felt like there were two voices to the one the Lord is speaking to you on.From experiences, I just gave up and said.... Lord. I can't do it. Help. There were even times that I was in the midst of sinning and as I was being tempted moreso to go darker, the Lord stopped me and I found Him leading me back away from it.So the battle begins with the mind and realizing that when you are being tempted, pray.Matthew 26: 40And he cometh unto the disciples, and findeth them asleep, and saith unto Peter, What, could ye not watch with me one hour? 41Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak. Maybe this is the time when you need to trust Him to carry you through that valley of death. But there shall be a time when He has worked a work in you to be fed up with sin and hate it to resist to the point of blood.Hebrews 12: 3For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds. 4Ye have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin. 5And ye have forgotten the exhortation which speaketh unto you as unto children, My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of him: 6For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth. 7If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not? 8But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons. The fact that you are bothered by it shows that the Lord is chastening you as His own child. Otherwise, sinning would not bother you at all.So trust in the Lord for the battle is His. He overcame it for me, but I still lean on Him to not have me sow to my flesh. Truly, when I am in Heaven, all the glory shall be given Him for by the grace of God, go I, for I cannot save myself thus by grace.. nor can I live as His, thus by grace. That way, I get to know Him and the power of His resurrection in living the christian life as He helps me apply His sayings to my walk. Amen.Keep on praying and watch for when you need to pray. Trust the Lord to remind you to pray too, but rest knowing He already knows, should you have not time to pray.

Mighty Bear

Oct 20, 2007
"But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. For the desires of the flesh are against the Spirit, and the desires of the Spirit are against the flesh, for these are opposed to each other, to keep you from doing the things you want to do. But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law. Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires." (Galatians 5:16-24)

followerofchrist

Nov 22, 2007
Hi Wakka,I am fighting with alot of the same stuff you are, and I just want you to know that your not alone in this. I know how easy it is to fall into sin and how hard it is to fight it but it's possible with God, as is everything. When ever I am tempted I like to quote one of my favorite verses and it helps me alot. "So do not fear, for I am your God. Do not be dismayed for I am with you. I will strengthen you and help you. I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." -Isaiah 41:10God is their with you weither you feel him or not, and he is giving you strength and helping you.

followerofchrist

Nov 22, 2007
(amoy;28060)
if i have gastric....so cannot fast...so how?
Fasting isn't the only to help fight temptation. When your tempted or feel yourself falling in to sin, simply spending time praying and talking to God can be a HUGE help! Also quoting scripture that relates specifically to what your dealing with helps,its what I do. And if you don't know any verses that talk about exactly what your dealing with you could look in a concordance, there are also many web sites where you just name a topic and it lists bible verses related to what you type.

Thunder1

Dec 12, 2007
Submit yourself to God and Resist the devil and He will flee. James 4:7Matt. 26:41 pray so that you will not fall into temptation.