How do you hear from God?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
While they were ministering to the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, "Set apart for Me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them."
Acts 13:2 NASB

Consider that you don't have to compel God to speak to you. He wants us to hear but as corrie ten boom referred to our "sin marred ears". Satan sends counterfeits also.

Mainly ever stop pressing into God in every way you can.
Sometimes we need direction but I understand your point.

Last edited:

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I hear him in conviction. It's usually that still small voice....never imposing. I also hear him in the world of nature...the elements, the animals and plants. Like that song, 'this is my Fathers world'....I'm sure you know it.

His presence is recognised by a gut level peace. In the past I have had epiphanies but they are not common for me.

I'll tell you one of several stories of God's presence....I was riding my motorcycle on the Dawson Hwy from Prudoe Bay, Alaska heading south. It was night, it was raining. The road was very muddy and there was nowhere to camp in the boggy tundra. The only place to ride with some sort of tentative stability was in the vehicle tracks of previous travellers. These tracks were often six inches deep and the width of a wheel. I am cold and continually having to deal with fogged glasses by looking over the top of them while squinting so as not to get the needle sharp rain in my eyes was to say the least, fatiguing. It was concentration max. All the while i'm praying and wondering how incredible it is that the bike hasn't gone over.....then it happened....the bike left the right hand rut I was riding in and crossed over to the left.....within seconds the bike is going down.....this is it, I see myself sliding down a wet muddy road with a tangle of metal and arms. I had hardly seen this picture in my minds eye when within a second the bike flicked upright and back into the left vehicle track as if nothing was amiss. My heart leapt with thankfulness and tears. I made it to the outskirts of Dawson City in the early hours drenched and cold and muddy but in one piece.

I'm persuaded the angels lifted the bike and am reminded when times appear more 'barren', 'I will never leave you or forsake you'
Yes, just as Paul in his journeys encountered troubles and was encouraged so also I learn that I am not alone irrespective of how it appears.
That's a powerful story - I'm glad you shared it.

Reactions: amadeus

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well , my advice would be, " Don't sweat it" Don't over think it and don't try to hear something.

When you open the word just ask the Lord as a child to speak and give direction ( which I am sure you have done) After that I don't keep asking, but I am in a state of waiting to hear His answer.
It will probably be in your reading. But it still comes from a prompt from His Spirit within.
I can say, and I am sure others would agree...it wont be anything big and 'loud'. Then I say to the Lord.." Was that You Lord, or just me..please confirm." He will ...some gentle confirmation.
As Frank said...I have even had a letter ( before emails :) ) which had a scripture attached! Right to the point of the issue!

Just relax , and don't try too hard. Just trust that He will answer you.

My two cents. :)
I appreciate everyone's two cents. It's enlightening.

Reactions: Helen

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've been trying to seek God's directions on some things and I have some kind of block there. It's been there awhile and I don't know how to break through. I've had a few times that were uncanny - I felt direction come to me as something gentle alighting - but for the most part I seek and seek and seek and I feel as if I can't get through.

Has anyone else experienced this? I badly want to hear from God and gain direction. Can others share how they do this and if they've ever had clear leading from God and what preceded it? I was looking up how to listen to your intuition but want to avoid the new age type stuff. There must be a way that others use to get to that sense of leading from God.
Don't expect the breakthrough to be just like you expect it to be because it probably won't be. Mine certainly have not been. My own breakthroughs, if you want to call them that are part and parcel of the testimony of my life. I won't detail them here.

Still, when I am talking to Him in the morning I will sometime ask Him for something with a bit more of a splash to it. It has rarely happened that way...

He keeps reminding me of what Apostle Paul wrote here:

"Not that I speak of in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content" Phil 4:11

It is of course easier to say that to do it. Should we stop asking God for such things as a closer walk with Him? Should we stop asking Him for extras, that we don't really need, but it sure would be nice to have?

Should a child stop asking his parents for things?

Thank you dear Lord for what you have already provided!

Reactions: Acolyte

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did I say "all my direction for life"?

If a preacher is truly a man called of God to preach, who would be a better choice? Myself? You? Mamma? Was I, or you or Mamma called to preach?

A preacher should be an expert on the written Word. If the Bible has answers to the dilemmas of life, who should I ask for Biblical references?

What if the Bible said we could only get faith through a preacher and that it was preaching that actually saves us?

Or maybe I should listen to the voices in my head or something else other than the way God has done it for thousands of years except for the 400 years where everyone did what was right in their own eyes.

Of course you are correct. Those men were given to us to accomplish God's purpose in us as Apostle Paul wrote here:

"And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:" Eph 4:11-12

Some who were called for those jobs may be slothful, but we should appreciate all the more the ones who are not, the ones who are working to help
you and me and the other guy become perfect as He is perfect.

Give God the glory!

Reactions: Acolyte

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I've been trying to seek God's directions on some things and I have some kind of block there. It's been there awhile and I don't know how to break through. I've had a few times that were uncanny - I felt direction come to me as something gentle alighting - but for the most part I seek and seek and seek and I feel as if I can't get through.

Has anyone else experienced this? I badly want to hear from God and gain direction. Can others share how they do this and if they've ever had clear leading from God and what preceded it? I was looking up how to listen to your intuition but want to avoid the new age type stuff. There must be a way that others use to get to that sense of leading from God.

'Trust in the LORD with all thine heart;
and lean not unto thine own understanding.
In all thy ways acknowledge Him,
and He shall direct thy paths.'

(Pro 3:5-6)

'Be careful for nothing;
but in every thing
by prayer and supplication
with thanksgiving
let your requests be made known unto God.
And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding,
shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.'

(Php 4:6-7)

Hello there, @Soverign Grace,
I believe that we should simply make our requests known unto God, acknowledge Him in all our ways, and then trust Him to direct our paths, and rejoice in Him. That is not easy, because we want to know upfront clear directions, but they do not always come.

'Who is among you that feareth the LORD,
that obeyeth the voice of his servant,
that walketh in darkness,
and hath no light?
let him trust in the name of the LORD,
and stay upon his God.'

(Isa 50:10)

Sorry I cannot be more helpful.
Although others have given very good replies
With love, in Christ Jesus
Chris

Reactions: mjrhealth and Helen

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
'Trust in the LORD with all thine heart;
and lean not unto thine own understanding.
In all thy ways acknowledge Him,
and He shall direct thy paths.'

(Pro 3:5-6)

'Be careful for nothing;
but in every thing
by prayer and supplication
with thanksgiving
let your requests be made known unto God.
And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding,
shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.'

(Php 4:6-7)

Hello there, @Soverign Grace,
I believe that we should simply make our requests known unto God, acknowledge Him in all our ways, and then trust Him to direct our paths, and rejoice in Him. That is not easy, because we want to know upfront clear directions, but they do not always come.

'Who is among you that feareth the LORD,
that obeyeth the voice of his servant,
that walketh in darkness,
and hath no light?
let him trust in the name of the LORD,
and stay upon his God.'

(Isa 50:10)

Sorry I cannot be more helpful.
Although others have given very good replies
With love, in Christ Jesus
Chris
Great verses there!

Ac28

May 18, 2016
Arkansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Every word God has for you today is in the completed Bible. Paul's dispensation of the mystery, found ONLY in his 7 post-Acts epistles, fulfils, fills full, or COMPLETES the Word of God, Colossians 1:25. That's it, folks. Anything more is fake and possibly a spirit you don't want hanging around. If you really try to talk to God, verbally, you're ripe for a counterfeit spirit. The ONLY 100% reliable Word of God is the one He preserved to every generation, Psalm 12:7, the Holy Bible.

Last edited:
Reactions: charity