How do you hear the "still, small, voice"?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away. - 2 Timothy 3:5
And Stephen, full of faith and power, did great wonders and miracles among the people. - Acts 6:8 (noting Stephen was not an apostle)
And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power: That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God. - 1 Corinthians 2:4-5

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Denominations revolve around the errors that divide them from the rest of the body of Christ. The problem is that many renounce the denominations but fail to see how polluted their thinking is because of them, when they leave to form independent groups. So they drag the denominational mindset along with them when they try to separate. They still have the barriers in place even though they remain independent. We still have divisions between free will and predestinarian groups. Charismatics and Sola Scriptura groups. Trinitarian and Oneness groups and so on. These are all denominations by another name.

But I think an invisible church exists and has a common belief based on a true understanding of the scriptures. And is found in persons from all sects and denominations throughout Christendom.
The remnant ;)

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You hear from God by expecting to hear?

I've had uncanny times of sensing God very close, but I'm trying to hear and it doesn't always happen and my way isn't always clear about what direction to go in. I started out looking for a book on using your instincts in business for one of my children who owns a business. It's hard because of the myriad of decisions that must be made so I recalled reading a book on intuition years ago - and I think intuition is really being in tune with God's voice. I forget the name of the book because I read it so many years ago. I was searching on Amazon and a lot of the books were into that new age stuff that I avoid so I then started looking for a book on hearing from God. It's a very tricky topic.

For me when I ask a question, God must wait until my mind is still without all the cacophony of mind noise and thoughts. Most often I receive the answer when I have just awoken from sleep when my eyes are still closed and my mind is still.

Reactions: Nancy

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I've been searching on Amazon for a book to help my adult children hear from God. I've experienced uncanny times when I've woken up in the middle of the night and knew God wanted me to pray, and another time bumped into a Christian neighbor who recommended a book that was exactly what I needed. But other times I feel I'm looking to God and get no clear leading when I have an important decision to make.

Can others share how they hear from God? Do you fast? Keep a prayer journal? Meditate? I usually like the old-time writers because they seemed to have a better grasp of Scripture but I haven't found one yet about hearing from God. I was reading some of the comments below some current books on hearing from God on Amazon and was concerned because some people remarked about the unscriptural practices recommended in the books even written by pastors. Has anyone here read any good books on discernment and how to hear from God that are Scriptural? I think we're living in an unprecedented era of evil and even many churches have turned worldly. It's hard finding quality teaching that holds fast to Scripture but God does give some people the gift of teaching. It's just really hard to sort through all the books to find those that are scripturally accurate.

I teach my disciples that the way to hear from God is to listen, simple as it may sound. Life is so full these days, which is a ploy of the devil to keep us away from God, so our ability to hear God is compromised.

I believe listening is a skill you develop as you can be doing things yet still listening. A bit like praying without ceasing, you listen without ceasing. I am driving to the next town. Besides concentrating on my driving I am listening which means my mind is attuned to God so I expect him to speak and because I expect him to speak, he does.

One of the biggest mistakes we make is to have a "quiet time" first thing in the morning and then forget God for the rest of the day. My quiet time lasts all day. In other words, God can speak to me at any time.

For example, I might be thinking about going shopping and God speaks to me about buying something for a person going through a difficult time.

I might be reading about some Christians who are being attacked by Muslims and need help and God will tell me to send them a specific amount of money to help them. I don't analyze it and see if it is a 10th of my income. I just do it because that is what God told me to do. Where that leaves me financially is God's problem, not mine.

Note that God does not speak to anyone who is not listening, so whether you hear or not is more a problem for you than it is for God.

Your ability to hear from God won't happen overnight. It comes by training yourself to hear. As God knows the thoughts and intents of the heart, one does not need to verbalize prayer for it to be prayer. What I think can be prayer.

If you want books on prayer, you will not do better than any book on the subject by Derek Prince. He was a man who heard from God all the time so he writes from experience, not theory.

Last edited:
Reactions: Butterfly and Nancy
B

Butterfly

I get what you are saying marksmen, can I just ask you something about your post. The first few words troubled me ' I teach My disciples ' - it kind of gives the impression that you have followers, that you have taken the role of Jesus.... I am sure that is not the case, but that's the impression I got from the words you used just curious, I guess ...... could you elaborate on what you mean xxx
Rita

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I get what you are saying marksmen, can I just ask you something about your post. The first few words troubled me ' I teach My disciples ' - it kind of gives the impression that you have followers, that you have taken the role of Jesus.... I am sure that is not the case, but that's the impression I got from the words you used just curious, I guess ...... could you elaborate on what you mean xxx
Rita
Hi Rita, I thought the same thing when I read that. But then, I thought that, we are to disciple those new in the faith so, maybe that is what he meant? ♥

B

Butterfly

Hi Nancy,
Yes, I agree, we are to disciple those new to faith, but i am not sure that this makes the people we disciple our disciples - or does it !?
Maybe it's because the word ' disciples ' is not used much these days to describe people who come to faith, it's used more to describe those who came to faith and followed Jesus in biblical times ( well that's the case for me )
Anyway, that's why I was curious, and I figure if you don't ask then you are always left wondering X
Rita

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Nancy,
Yes, I agree, we are to disciple those new to faith, but i am not sure that this makes the people we disciple our disciples - or does it !?
Maybe it's because the word ' disciples ' is not used much these days to describe people who come to faith, it's used more to describe those who came to faith and followed Jesus in biblical times ( well that's the case for me )
Anyway, that's why I was curious, and I figure if you don't ask then you are always left wondering X
Rita

Hi Rita!
Happy New Year :)
I see just what you mean and, my own take (IMHO) is there is a difference between Disciples and Apostles? I am in no wise certain of that but, it would be good to look into it ♥
In Him,
nancy

Reactions: Helen

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Rita

Jesus said to go into all the world and make disciples (not Christians) and that is what I do. I am not interested in gathering people around me to support my ministry. I want to do what Ephesians 4:11 teaches and that is prepare people for the work of ministry, not to prepare them to support my ministry.

Where I live I know for a fact that four churches that have started up in the last few years were started to give someone the platform to preach because they didn't have it in the churches they used to go to.

B

Butterfly

Jesus said to go into all the world and make disciples (not Christians) and that is what I do. I am not interested in gathering people around me to support my ministry. I want to do what Ephesians 4:11 teaches and that is prepare people for the work of ministry, not to prepare them to support my ministry.

Where I live I know for a fact that four churches that have started up in the last few years were started to give someone the platform to preach because they didn't have it in the churches they used to go to.
Thank you for explaining marksman - we use to have discipleship courses in one of the churches I use to go. I wish something like that had been around when I first came to faith- back then the church was pleased to have ' a convert ' but did nothing to help me to ' learn ' to walk with Jesus. However they preached the gospel and God used them. They ran a playgroup for the under fives and offered a bible study group one morning, I went along and it started me questioning and seeking - I came to faith about 3months later.
All the best in all you do X
Rita

Reactions: Helen