How do you hear the "still, small, voice"?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

D

Dave L

Every Christian had a spiritual gift until they expired along with the apostles.

D

Dave L

The gifts expired with the Apostles. To say otherwise, you must show another way God gave the gifts besides the two outpourings or through an apostle's hands. No other means exists in the NT.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Every Christian had a spiritual gift until they expired along with the apostles.

Again, you avoid the question. You said if tongues and prophecy are for today then Scripture is still being written. Chapter and verse? You have none.

You make this big speech of how you are going to answer my question if I present it. So, I present it again, and all you do is avoid it, again. This not only means you are avoiding answering, but that you were deceptive in your statement. There is another word for it, but I will refrain.

Stranger

Last edited:

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The gifts expired with the Apostles. To say otherwise, you must show another way God gave the gifts besides the two outpourings or through an apostle's hands. No other means exists in the NT.

I don't blame you for not presenting the quote of the questions asked. They prove you refuse to answer them.

Again, you avoid the questions. You said today's gifts are not like the originals. Chapter and verse. You have none. Thus you continue with your deception.

You said Paul had visions because he was a prophet and an apostle. But what about Cornelius? He was neither. He wasn't even a Jew. What now?

Stranger

D

Dave L

I don't blame you for not presenting the quote of the questions asked. They prove you refuse to answer them.

Again, you avoid the questions. You said today's gifts are not like the originals. Chapter and verse. You have none. Thus you continue with your deception.

You said Paul had visions because he was a prophet and an apostle. But what about Cornelius? He was neither. He wasn't even a Jew. What now?

Stranger
Any Christian with the gift of tongues spoke in tongues during the first century. But the gifts expired with the apostles who distributed them. Today's claims for having the gifts are pure fiction.

D

Dave L

Again, you avoid the question. You said if tongues and prophecy are for today then Scripture is still being written. Chapter and verse? You have none.

You make this big speech of how you are going to answer my question if I present it. So, I present it again, and all you do is avoid it, again. This not only means you are avoiding answering, but that you were deceptive in your statement. There is another word for it, but I will refrain.

Stranger
The proof is in your inability to show the gifts came in other ways other than the two outpourings or through an apostle's hands. You cannot refute this or you would have by now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Any Christian with the gift of tongues spoke in tongues during the first century. But the gifts expired with the apostles who distributed them. Today's claims for having the gifts are pure fiction.

Chapter and verse?

And how could Cornelius, a Gentile, and not a prophet and apostle, have visions from God?

Stranger

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've been searching on Amazon for a book to help my adult children hear from God. I've experienced uncanny times when I've woken up in the middle of the night and knew God wanted me to pray, and another time bumped into a Christian neighbor who recommended a book that was exactly what I needed. But other times I feel I'm looking to God and get no clear leading when I have an important decision to make.

Can others share how they hear from God? Do you fast? Keep a prayer journal? Meditate? I usually like the old-time writers because they seemed to have a better grasp of Scripture but I haven't found one yet about hearing from God. I was reading some of the comments below some current books on hearing from God on Amazon and was concerned because some people remarked about the unscriptural practices recommended in the books even written by pastors. Has anyone here read any good books on discernment and how to hear from God that are Scriptural? I think we're living in an unprecedented era of evil and even many churches have turned worldly. It's hard finding quality teaching that holds fast to Scripture but God does give some people the gift of teaching. It's just really hard to sort through all the books to find those that are scripturally accurate.

I wish I could help you but I know of no such book. In my own life, same as you, I've had a few times, but mostly, I have had to live without hearing Him but by leaning on the verse as being true - that I may make my plans, but it is He who guides my steps. By leaning heavily on that verse, I tend to more easily roll with my circumstances in a peace rather than in a turmoil. I can push away and refuse worry when I remember to recite to myself that He guides my steps, even as I am making my plans. This drives others around me crazy but most days I just keep trusting He is guiding my steps. And He does want us to walk by trust (faith) rather than what it looks like. It always looks to me like He is NOT guiding my steps, and it even looks like He is ignoring me,and when the temptation comes to stop trusting that He is guiding my steps (because He said He is), I recite to myself the verse and insist that I believe Him and therefore there is no need for worry.

What I want is to be able to SEE that He is guiding my steps. What He insists on is that I believe WITHOUT seeing.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You know, in the earlier conversation, where Dave claimed all spiritual gifts died out with the apostles, does this mean when the last apostle died, everyone's gifts just disappeared in a moment?

I don't have any gifts, but I'm not arrogant enough to insist no one else does either. Most of what I have seen going on is fake shenanigans (like Benny hinn), but that doesn't mean everyone is false.

Reactions: Nancy
D

Dave L

You know, in the earlier conversation, where Dave claimed all spiritual gifts died out with the apostles, does this mean when the last apostle died, everyone's gifts just disappeared in a moment?

I don't have any gifts, but I'm not arrogant enough to insist no one else does either. Most of what I have seen going on is fake shenanigans (like Benny hinn), but that doesn't mean everyone is false.
If you follow the gifts through scripture. They were dying out in Paul's later writings. Many were sick and needed medicine in Paul's later writings. Timothy's stomach problems. Trophimus Paul left behind sick. Paul himself was impaired. He said in essence the revelatory gifts would end with John's writing of Revelation. When he said "see that you come behind in no gift, waiting for the revelation (apocalypse) of Jesus Christ." Also called the Revelation (apocalypse) of Jesus Christ written by John. That tongues, prophecy and knowledge would cease when the perfect came. Scripture is perfect, and does a better job than the temporary gifts ever did. They were fragments of God's word. Scripture is God's word complete.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sickness still existed. Your example of Paul shows this. He healed others but couldn't heal Timothys stomach problems or his own thorn, even though he prayed and heard from God that His grace was sufficient. This puts to rest the nonsense that no Christian should EVER suffer sickness as some try to preach, but it does not prove that NO ONE is ever healed if it's in God's will and plan.

We have suffered loss. We are holding fast what little remains. I think we are that church spoken of, in large measure - holding fast to what remains until He returns, that church He said has little strength.

Reactions: Nancy and Dave L

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Denominations are an invention of Satan. Every one. A denomination of zero is correct. No where are denominations or sects mentioned in the Bible except in a negative way as anti truth. To protect their denominations they never ever say which one of the religious groups their umbilical cord is affixed to.

Those that are true spirit filled believers must not allow these unbelieving naysayers to dissuade us from the truth. They are agents of another spirit. Not able to see the word though it be in front of them. They say they are believers and in the next breath list the Scriptures that their ill conceived clan swear are no longer true.

This is not a difference of opinion. This is an engagement with those that are denying the very word of God. They are not speaking according to God's word. Do not allow them to turn any of your faith. They are HALF believers. We know that a half truth is a whole lie.

We stand here and witness what God has done in our lives according to the written word of God Almighty and they scoff, spewing the doctrines of the golden calf denominations where they bow and worship. They lick the shoes of doctors and professors that have decided what God does and does not do.

May God deal with them in a way that will mercifully open their purposely closed eyes. They are captive of a spirit of deception and unaware.

They love the praise of men more than the praise of God. They never ever tell one thing that Jesus said to them. If they did they would have to tell that Jesus spoke to them that he had changed his word.

I pray that God rebuke the spirit of deception, blindness and deafness from those denying God's eternal word as written in both the old and new testaments. The book we know as the Bible.

Reactions: Butterfly and Helen
D

Dave L

Denominations are an invention of Satan. Every one. A denomination of zero is correct. No where are denominations or sects mentioned in the Bible except in a negative way as anti truth. To protect their denominations they never ever say which one of the religious groups their umbilical cord is affixed to.

Those that are true spirit filled believers must not allow these unbelieving naysayers to dissuade us from the truth. They are agents of another spirit. Not able to see the word though it be in front of them. They say they are believers and in the next breath list the Scriptures that their ill conceived clan swear are no longer true.

This is not a difference of opinion. This is an engagement with those that are denying the very word of God. They are not speaking according to God's word. Do not allow them to turn any of your faith. They are HALF believers. We know that a half truth is a whole lie.

We stand here and witness what God has done in our lives according to the written word of God Almighty and they scoff, spewing the doctrines of the golden calf denominations where they bow and worship. They lick the shoes of doctors and professors that have decided what God does and does not do.

May God deal with them in a way that will mercifully open their purposely closed eyes. They are captive of a spirit of deception and unaware.

They love the praise of men more than the praise of God. They never ever tell one thing that Jesus said to them. If they did they would have to tell that Jesus spoke to them that he had changed his word.

I pray that God rebuke the spirit of deception, blindness and deafness from those denying God's eternal word as written in both the old and new testaments. The book we know as the Bible.
Denominations revolve around the errors that divide them from the rest of the body of Christ. The problem is that many renounce the denominations but fail to see how polluted their thinking is because of them, when they leave to form independent groups. So they drag the denominational mindset along with them when they try to separate. They still have the barriers in place even though they remain independent. We still have divisions between free will and predestinarian groups. Charismatics and Sola Scriptura groups. Trinitarian and Oneness groups and so on. These are all denominations by another name.

But I think an invisible church exists and has a common belief based on a true understanding of the scriptures. And is found in persons from all sects and denominations throughout Christendom.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Helen and Nancy

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Where in scripture did the gifts expire with the Apostles?

And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover. - Mark 16:17-18

What part of "these signs shall follow them that believe" do you not understand? Here is a short 2 minute video on a woman testifying to the present day healing power of Jesus Christ...

Charles Stanley's grandfather was a Pentecostal Holiness preacher who God would do miracles through... "As I walked through the church, one person after another grabbed my arm to tell me how Grandad had led a dying loved one to the Lord, how God had done miracles of healing through him, and how he’d changed Danville for the better." - Charles Stanley on his Pentecostal Holiness grandfather.

Enduring Witness

Reactions: amadeus
D

Dave L

Where in scripture did the gifts expire with the Apostles?

And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover. - Mark 16:17-18

What part of "these signs shall follow them that believe" do you not understand? Here is a short 2 minute video on a woman testifying to the present day healing power of Jesus Christ...

Charles Stanley's grandfather was a Pentecostal Holiness preacher who God would do miracles through... "As I walked through the church, one person after another grabbed my arm to tell me how Grandad had led a dying loved one to the Lord, how God had done miracles of healing through him, and how he’d changed Danville for the better." - Charles Stanley on his Pentecostal Holiness grandfather.

Enduring Witness
Again, God only distributed the gifts two ways. Through the two outpourings, or through an apostle's hands. When the last apostle died, the gifts ceased.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Again, God only distributed the gifts two ways. Through the two outpourings, or through an apostle's hands. When the last apostle died, the gifts ceased.

Maybe in your Yankee world... But thankfully not mine.

Reactions: amadeus and Helen