How do you hear the "still, small, voice"?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

D

Dave L

but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost

Key word... as moved by the Holy Ghost... The Holy Ghost still speaks and moved through people today.

And when he had so said, there arose a dissension between the Pharisees and the Sadducees: and the multitude was divided. For the Sadducees say that there is no resurrection, neither angel, nor spirit: but the Pharisees confess both. - Acts 23:7-8

I tell you, you are doing a great job recreating the sect of the Sadducees.... Sad-You-See!
The Holy Spirit speaks only through scripture. Any other source = wrong spirit.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But there are no prophets today other than false prophets. Why did the Apostles cast lots to choose Matthias as Judas' replacement? If God speaks as freely as you and others think?
Prophesying does not ONLY mean predicting the future, although it includes that.

Every time a person correctly quotes God, is he not a prophet for that moment in time? When you quote verbatim words that according to your Bible were spoken by Jesus, are you not also prophesying? If there were no prophets today, then God would be completely silenced.

Even if God only were speaking to people today by that which is written as inspired by men in the scriptures, would there not be prophets among those who cited the scriptures correctly?

Are you then not at times a prophet of God in some of the meanings of the word as it is used in the scriptures?

profhvthß Prophetes (prof-ay'-tace);
Word Origin: Greek, Noun Masculine, Strong #: 4396

1. in Greek writings, an interpreter of oracles or of other hidden things
  2. one who, moved by the Spirit of God and hence his organ or spokesman, solemnly declares to men what he has received by inspiration, especially concerning future events, and in particular such as relate to the cause and kingdom of God and to human salvation
  3. of men filled with the Spirit of God, who by God's authority and command in words of weight pleads the cause of God and urges salvation of men

D

Dave L

Prophesying does not ONLY mean predicting the future, although it includes that.

Every time a person correctly quotes God, is he not a prophet for that moment in time? When you quote verbatim words that according to your Bible were spoken by Jesus, are you not also prophesying? If there were no prophets today, then God would be completely silenced.

Even if God only were speaking to people today by that which is written as inspired by men in the scriptures, would there not be prophets among those who cited the scriptures correctly?

Are you then not at times a prophet of God in some of the meanings of the word as it is used in the scriptures?

profhvthß Prophetes (prof-ay'-tace);
Word Origin: Greek, Noun Masculine, Strong #: 4396

1. in Greek writings, an interpreter of oracles or of other hidden things
  2. one who, moved by the Spirit of God and hence his organ or spokesman, solemnly declares to men what he has received by inspiration, especially concerning future events, and in particular such as relate to the cause and kingdom of God and to human salvation
  3. of men filled with the Spirit of God, who by God's authority and command in words of weight pleads the cause of God and urges salvation of men
Today, quoting scripture, truly understood, is all we can do and claim thus saith the Lord.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Discernment - If prophecies, tongues, dreams, or the "God spoke to me(s)", lines up with scripture and is done in what can be sensed as from the Spirit of the Lord, fine.

When a prophet speaketh in the name of the Lord, if the thing follow not, nor come to pass, that is the thing which the Lord hath not spoken, but the prophet hath spoken it presumptuously: thou shalt not be afraid of him. - Deuteronomy 18:22

There are those who speak presumptuously, or out of the ego, or out of the flesh. This is where discernment comes to play.

D

Dave L

Discernment - If prophecies, tongues, dreams, or the "God spoke to me(s)", lines up with scripture and is done in what can be sensed as from the Spirit of the Lord, fine.

When a prophet speaketh in the name of the Lord, if the thing follow not, nor come to pass, that is the thing which the Lord hath not spoken, but the prophet hath spoken it presumptuously: thou shalt not be afraid of him. - Deuteronomy 18:22

There are those who speak presumptuously, or out of the ego, or out of the flesh. This is where discernment comes to play.
They all lie today. Nobody can honestly say "thus saith the Lord" unless quoting scripture properly understood.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Today, quoting scripture, truly understood, is all we can do and claim thus saith the Lord.
My point, my friend, is that even if that is all you do [quote scripture] as honestly led by the Holy Spirit, then you are prophesying. Yet, you said there were no prophets, although you have effectively confessed that you are one.

Reactions: rockytopva

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Golden Calf? = not waiting for God's written word while Moses was receiving it, and turning vain imaginations into a substitute for it. You need to take heed of your own accusations.
Yes so many have no ears. You should take heed

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
If you follow extrabiblical "revelations" you follow a false Christ. Jesus IS the Word of God presented in the scriptures.
Oh yes HE is and what did HE say,

Joh_10:26 But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you.
Joh_10:27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:

your choosing. See what happens when men get religious..

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.” (2 Timothy 3:16–17) (KJV 1900)

“For he received from God the Father honour and glory, when there came such a voice to him from the excellent glory, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased. And this voice which came from heaven we heard, when we were with him in the holy mount. We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts: Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.” (2 Peter 1:17–20) (KJV 1900)

But you reject God's word and say scripture is not sufficient. And that extra biblical voices are better when Peter says God speaking vocally to them on the mount of transfiguration did not measure up to the reliability of scripture.

Nothing you say means anything until you are willing to answer my questions. Your refusal proves the inadequacy of your theology.

Stranger

D

Dave L

Nothing you say means anything until you are willing to answer my questions. Your refusal proves the inadequacy of your theology.

Stranger
You can accuse me of not answering your questions. But the truth is, you do not understand enough about how God saves people to frame an accurate question.

Apostle Paul was a murderer and devout member of one of the most twisted cults in world history, the Pharisees. God did not offer to save him, he saved him on the road to Damascus against his will. And so it is with any truly born again Christian. God saves us, whether Pharisee, Mormon, JW, or any other misguided persuasion.

So your question shows a lack of understanding on your part. And cannot be answered unless revamped by the person trying to answer it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You can accuse me of not answering your questions. But the truth is, you do not understand enough about how God saves people to frame an accurate question.

Oh....I see. You only respond to 'accurate questions'. And what is an 'accurate question'? No doubt it is one that doesn't disprove your position. Questions are not accurate or inaccurate. They are questions. The answers can be very telling as they can help prove or disprove ones position. When no answer is given, they reveal the inadequacy of ones position. That is where you are at.

Stranger

D

Dave L

Oh....I see. You only respond to 'accurate questions'. And what is an 'accurate question'? No doubt it is one that doesn't disprove your position. Questions are not accurate or inaccurate. They are questions. The answers can be very telling as they can help prove or disprove ones position. When no answer is given, they reveal the inadequacy of ones position. That is where you are at.

Stranger
If a blind man sees only black, how can you argue color? You do not understand enough about salvation to ask a meaningful question concerning it.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If a blind man sees only black, how can you argue color? You do not understand enough about salvation to ask a meaningful question concerning it.

Apostle Paul was a murderer and devout member of one of the most twisted cults in world history, the Pharisees. God did not offer to save him, he saved him on the road to Damascus against his will. And so it is with any truly born again Christian. God saves us, whether Pharisee, Mormon, JW, or any other misguided persuasion.

So your question shows a lack of understanding on your part. And cannot be answered unless revamped by the person trying to answer it.

Nice try. Pay attention which thread you are in.

Stranger

D

Dave L

Nice try. Pay attention which thread you are in.

Stranger
If you have nothing to hide, ask the question for all to see without needing to look it up. And I will answer for all to see. They can then judge if I'm guilty of your accusations.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you even know the thread you are in? The questions are there. You know what they are. Any who want to judge can read just as well as you or I. Start with post #(151) for a full context.

Stranger

D

Dave L

Do you even know the thread you are in? The questions are there. You know what they are. Any who want to judge can read just as well as you or I. Start with post #(151) for a full context.

Stranger
State your question for all to see. And I will answer for all to see.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
State your question for all to see. And I will answer for all to see.

No, Dave, it is questions in this thread. Pay attention.

Go back and reread. Try and be a man about it and answer the questions you are avoiding.

Stranger

D

Dave L

No, Dave, it is questions in this thread. Pay attention.

Go back and reread. Try and be a man about it and answer the questions you are avoiding.

Stranger
If you have noting to hide, state your question for all to see and I will answer it for all to see. This will alleviate your false accusations.