How does God lead?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

D

Dave L

OK.
So then you can't use words like FREE WILL, as you did in your post no. 217.

IF you do NOT believe in free will, you can't use the words FREE WILL in a sentence!

(unless it's to say you don't believe in it)
We have free will, but it reacts to the reasons God uses to control us. We are not free to do otherwise.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
How does your position square with John?

“Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God. In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.” (1 John 3:9–10) (KJV 1900)

“For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.” (1 John 5:4) (KJV 1900)
The above is for our new friend @friend of
but didn't John write Revelation?
Did he contradict himself?

Names CAN be blotted out of the book of life because salvation is not absolutely secure until we reach the end of our life and know we have persevered till the end.

Mathew 24:12-14 Jesus said:
12“Because lawlessness is increased, most people’s love will grow cold.
13“But the one who endures to the end, he will be saved.
14“This gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all the nations, and then the end will come.

I'll take Jesus' words any day.

He speaks of people's love growing cold. This means they loved God and then did not love Him anymore.

The one who endures to the end will be saved.
And when is the end?
All the nations will hear the gospel, and THEN the end will come.

I do think John would agree with Jesus.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
We have free will, but it reacts to the reasons God uses to control us. We are not free to do otherwise.
Dave,
There's no way to make this more clear to you:

IF GOD CONTROLS US
We DO NOT have free will.

Free will, and particularly libertarian free will as pertains to the bible,
means WE choose what WE WANT to choose...
NOT what God MAKES US CHOOSE.

If God makes us choose...it' HIS will, not ours.
In that case we DO NOT have FREE WILL.

Please think this over.

I know what Calvin taught and it's sick.
It would be a sick God that not only sends some to hell through no fault of their own, but would also make man think he's choosing something when really he is not.

Here are some of Calvin's words:
that whenever God is pleased to make way for his providence, he even in external matters so turns and bends the wills of men, that whatever the freedom of their choice may be, it is still subject to the disposal of God. That your mind depends more on the agency of God than the freedom of your own choice, daily experience teaches.

All of Book Two Chapters 6 and 7 of the Book of Institutes should be read.
I mean, are we living in the Matrix?
Or are we free men?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Dave,

IF GOD CONTROLS US

Please think this over.

It would be a sick God that not only sends some to hell through no fault of their own, but would also make man think he's choosing something when really he is not.

that whenever God is pleased to make way for his providence, he even in external matters so turns and bends the wills of men, that whatever the freedom of their choice may be, it is still subject to the disposal of God. That your mind depends more on the agency of God than the freedom of your own choice, daily experience teaches.

Or are we free men?
The believer wishes to say: "Thy will be done."

Psalm 110.3: "Thy people shall be willing in the day of thy power".

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America

Names CAN be blotted out of the book of life because salvation is not absolutely secure until we reach the end of our life and know we have persevered till the end.

14“This gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all the nations, and then the end will come.

He speaks of people's love growing cold. This means they loved God and then did not love Him anymore.

And when is the end?

For the true believer -as opposed to the person who merely professes, this is the blessed state of affairs:

Romans 8.38-39:

"38For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, 39nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord."

D

Dave L

Dave,

IF GOD CONTROLS US

Please think this over.

Or are we free men?
The will only reacts. And not in a vacuum. It reacts according to our nature, and all of the conditions God surrounds us with. How can we create our destinies when God created all, including our destinies?

Reactions: Helen
D

Dave L

And when is the end?

Revelation is symbolic. So we must make the symbol conform to the direct statements from scripture.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
The will only reacts. And not in a vacuum. It reacts according to our nature, and all of the conditions God surrounds us with. How can we create our destinies when God created all, including our destinies?
Ephesians 2 speaks of the unbeliever 'dead in trespasses and sins', 'fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind'. The chapter also speaks of the believer regenerated by God's grace, saved by grace through faith, not of works.

Reactions: Dave L

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
The believer wishes to say: "Thy will be done."

Psalm 110.3: "Thy people shall be willing in the day of thy power".
God's will is always done.
Nothing happens unless He approves.
I stated in a former post here that it's difficult to reconcile God's sovereignty with our free will IF everything is held up by God.

Just becaue we don't understand something does not mean it is not so.
I find free will in the bible and have posted verses supporting it.

Could you please post something from the N.T. that is not poetic that states we do not have free will.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Ephesians 2 speaks of the unbeliever 'dead in trespasses and sins', 'fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind'. The chapter also speaks of the believer regenerated by God's grace, saved by grace through faith, not of works.
Oh no. Not works...

Who here, or on any forum I've ever been on, states that we are saved by works???

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Revelation is symbolic. So we must make the symbol conform to the direct statements from scripture.
What do you say about the verses I've posted?
They were NOT from Revelation, but directly from Jesus.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
For the true believer -as opposed to the person who merely professes, this is the blessed state of affairs:

Romans 8.38-39:

"38For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, 39nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord."
I DO believe you're derailing.

And I'll be you know my reply...

Nothing can separate you from God, but your own decision to do so.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
I'd like to reply to scripture please.
Please post some scripture proving the above.
I know what you believe,,,I'd like to see some biblical support for it.
J. Calvin sure did post a lot of it, even though he twisted each and every one he posted.

D

Dave L

And when is the end?

What do you say about the verses I've posted?
They were NOT from Revelation, but directly from Jesus.

Most fall away. Jesus said “Every plant, which my heavenly Father hath not planted, shall be rooted up.” (Matthew 15:13) (KJV 1900)

So we see great apostasy all along in church history. But as John says; “For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.” (1 John 5:4) (KJV 1900)

I think we are seeing this shaping up now:

“Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.” (Matthew 7:22–23) (KJV 1900)

Reactions: Reggie Belafonte
D

Dave L

I'd like to reply to scripture please.
Please post some scripture proving the above.
I know what you believe,,,I'd like to see some biblical support for it.
J. Calvin sure did post a lot of it, even though he twisted each and every one he posted.
“For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.” (Philippians 2:13) (KJV 1900)

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
God's will is always done.
Nothing happens unless He approves.
I stated in a former post here that it's difficult to reconcile God's sovereignty with our free will IF everything is held up by God.

Just becaue we don't understand something does not mean it is not so.
I find free will in the bible and have posted verses supporting it.

Could you please post something from the N.T. that is not poetic that states we do not have free will.
Ephesians 2 - the first few verses - show very strongly that the will of the unbeliever is thoroughly in bondage to a totally fallen state; and what the sinner thus needs is the grace of God.