How does one evaluate a testimony?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree that we should be on the lookout for that sort of thing.
But do we assume that Christians giving testimony are guilty until proven innocent?
Why would ANYONE want to testify in such a negative church environment?

Furthermore, how do we define "deceived"?
Does that mean anyone that doesn't subscribe to our SPECIFIC brand of Christianity?
(at the granular level) Do we live to serve the echo chamber? Glad-handing those who "say it right".
And heaven help you if you "say it wrong".

I'm Protestant, but I have learned to accept my Catholic brothers and sisters as a part of the whole church.
I used to grill them on their "wrong" doctrine in the hopes of converting them from their ignorance.
In one particular exchange my Catholic brother was infinitely patient with me. He heard me out. And then
he explained where they were coming from. They had as much biblical support for their position as I had for mine.
And were educated in church history and tradition. Something completely lacking in my upbringing.

This was a turning point for me. I give everyone the benefit of the doubt now.
There are JWs and SDAs on this forum that I count as dear brothers and sisters in Christ.
It doesn't mean I agree 100% with their doctrine. And they return the respect
I show them seven-fold. I don't declare war on neighboring tribes.

/
I am not talking about the average testimony. Only those that do not add up to simple common sense. Mike Warkne, John Todd are examples. I post much on this in the Holloween thread and many or some of those posts are being deleted. Oh Well

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many have come to another jesus . Ye will know them by their fruits
A recent conversion with this superstar lady is HIGHLY SUSPECT .
For she spoke more of a new age term jesus .
No mention of even believing on JESUS CHRIST at all .
THAT BE A MASSIVE RED FLAG .
More on light , transistion , postition , etc .
IF one makes the claim JESUS CHRIST truly drew me to him
and i surrendered all when HE TOLD me my being gay was good and GOD is love. THEN KNOW AND UNDERSTAND
IT WASNT JESUS WHO DREW HER , it was the dark one coming in under guise and using that name .
More and more testimonies are beginning to surface
about HOW THIS jesus is coming in to folks and SURE SEEMS to be CORRECTING BIBLE DOCTRINE
and saying GOD is love and all is well . THEN they stand up and tell the people HOW the bible and true christains
had led them away from GOD but how this new jesus brought them back .
ITS A SHAM . FOR JESUS Never has been , never was and never will be the minstir of SIN .
HE WONT HONOR SIN and call biblical TRUTH LIES . THAT AINT JESUS . That aint JESUS at all
Please identifly common Red Flags, brother, friend.

Reactions: amigo de christo

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am not talking about the average testimony. Only those that do not add up to simple common sense. Mike Warkne, John Todd are examples. I post much on this in the Holloween thread and many or some of those posts are being deleted. Oh Well
The topic title and OP are COMPLETELY misleading then.
And it took 23 posts to own up to it. Thanks.

/

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
googling red flags

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It isn't our place to pick apart, judge, or verify someone's testimony. If they have had a true conversion from death to life through Jesus Christ, they have a right to tell their testimony no matter how "outrageous" it may be. Where in scripture are we told to deny or prevent any believer from sharing their testimony, or to judge it?

One sure way of knowing a testimony is true is that the person will show a life of overcoming the things God saved them out of. In other words, their fruits will show that they are His.

Revelation 12:11
[11]And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.

If we take the defensive, suspicious stance, we find ourselves an enemy of God Himself because we are denying His work in our brothers and sisters in Christ. This becomes the outrageous part, because these who take a stance of suspicion become obsessed with discrediting a born again child of God because they don't believe their "outrageous testimony." And then that person will resort to taking "testimony" (whether true or untrue) of people who don't even know Christ in order to try to disprove a brother or sister in Christ's testimony.

Let God be the judge ....and watch their fruit. That's as far as we Biblically need to carry it.
extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence
Who says? All the proof I need is medical verification, witnesses, and the scars and bruises I carry. Do you want photos??

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Bayes’ Theorem
First published Sat Jun 28, 2003; substantive revision Tue Sep 30, 2003
Bayes' Theorem is a simple mathematical formula used for calculating conditional probabilities. It figures prominently in subjectivist or Bayesian approaches to epistemology, statistics, and inductive logic. Subjectivists, who maintain that rational belief is governed by the laws of probability, lean heavily on conditional probabilities in their theories of evidence and their models of empirical learning. Bayes' Theorem is central to these enterprises both because it simplifies the calculation of conditional probabilities and because it clarifies significant features of subjectivist position. Indeed, the Theorem's central insight — that a hypothesis is confirmed by any body of data that its truth renders probable — is the cornerstone of all subjectivist methodology.

1. Conditional Probabilities and Bayes' Theorem
2. Special Forms of Bayes' Theorem
3. The Role of Bayes' Theorem in Subjectivist Accounts of Evidence
4. The Role of Bayes' Theorem in Subjectivist Models of Learning
Bibliography
Academic Tools
Other Internet Resources
Related Entries
1. Conditional Probabilities and Bayes' Theorem
The probability of a hypothesis H conditional on a given body of data E is the ratio of the unconditional probability of the conjunction of the hypothesis with the data to the unconditional probability of the data alone.

(1.1) Definition.
The probability of H conditional on E is defined as PE(H) = P(H & E)/P(E), provided that both terms of this ratio exist and P(E) > 0.[1]
To illustrate, suppose J. Doe is a randomly chosen American who was alive on January 1, 2000. According to the United States Center for Disease Control, roughly 2.4 million of the 275 million Americans alive on that date died during the 2000 calendar year. Among the approximately 16.6 million senior citizens (age 75 or greater) about 1.36 million died. The unconditional probability of the hypothesis that our J. Doe died during 2000, H, is just the population-wide mortality rate P(H) = 2.4M/275M = 0.00873. To find the probability of J. Doe's death conditional on the information, E, that he or she was a senior citizen, we divide the probability that he or she was a senior who died, P(H & E) = 1.36M/275M = 0.00495, by the probability that he or she was a senior citizen, P(E) = 16.6M/275M = 0.06036. Thus, the probability of J. Doe's death given that he or she was a senior is PE(H) = P(H & E)/P(E) = 0.00495/0.06036 = 0.082. Notice how the size of the total population factors out of this equation, so that PE(H) is just the proportion of seniors who died. One should contrast this quantity, which gives the mortality rate among senior citizens, with the "inverse" probability of E conditional on H, PH(E) = P(H & E)/P(H) = 0.00495/0.00873 = 0.57, which is the proportion of deaths in the total population that occurred among seniors.

Here are some straightforward consequences of (1.1):

Probability. PE is a probability function.[2]
Logical Consequence. If E entails H, then PE(H) = 1.
Preservation of Certainties. If P(H) = 1, then PE(H) = 1.
Mixing. P(H) = P(E)PE(H) + P(~E)P~E(H).[3]
The most important fact about conditional probabilities is undoubtedly Bayes' Theorem, whose significance was first appreciated by the British cleric Thomas Bayes in his posthumously published masterwork, "An Essay Toward Solving a Problem in the Doctrine of Chances" (Bayes 1764). Bayes' Theorem relates the "direct" probability of a hypothesis conditional on a given body of data, PE(H), to the "inverse" probability of the data conditional on the hypothesis, PH(E).

(1.2) Bayes' Theorem.
PE(H) = [P(H)/P(E)] PH(E)
In an unfortunate, but now unavoidable, choice of terminology, statisticians refer to the inverse probability PH(E) as the "likelihood" of H on E. It expresses the degree to which the hypothesis predicts the data given the background information codified in the probability P.

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Great post, thanks.
It just occurred to me as I read your first paragraph that my own testimony is outrageous.
And there is no way I could verify it. Is it therefore invalid? According to the OP, yes, invalid. My testimony doesn't pass muster.

Yes.
Attributing the work of God to Satan is the unforgivable sin, blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. IMHO

/
Thanks for the false accusation, I am not doing that.

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Idk for sure, but I wouldn't want to test it.

Now, people do lie ....but it's not up to us to police everyone's testimonies. God will judge it.
Greetings from the Elder.[a]

To the lady chosen by God and to her children.

I truly love all of you. And I am not the only one. All those who know the truth[c] love you in the same way. 2 We love you because of the truth—the truth that lives in us. That truth will be with us forever.

3 Grace, mercy, and peace will be with us from God the Father and from his Son, Jesus Christ, as we live in truth and love.

4 I was very happy to learn about some of your children. I am happy that they are following the way of truth, just as the Father commanded us. 5 And now, dear lady, I tell you: We should all love each other. This is not a new command. It is the same command we had from the beginning. 6 And loving means living the way he commanded us to live. And God’s command is this: that you live a life of love. You heard this command from the beginning.

7 Many false teachers are in the world now. They refuse to say that Jesus Christ came to earth and became a man. Anyone who refuses to accept this fact is a false teacher and the enemy of Christ. 8 Be careful! Don’t lose the reward we[d] have worked for. Be careful so that you will receive all of that reward.

9 Everyone must continue to follow only the teaching about Christ. Whoever changes that teaching does not have God. But whoever continues to follow the teaching about Christ has both the Father and his Son. 10 Don’t accept those who come to you but do not bring this teaching. Don’t invite them into your house.
Don’t welcome them in any way. 11 If you do, you are helping them with their evil work.

12 I have much to say to you. But I don’t want to use paper and ink. Instead, I hope to come visit you. Then we can be together and talk. That will make us very happy. 13 The children of your sister[e] who was chosen by God send you their love

1 Thessalonians 5:21
Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.

1 Thessalonians 5
Easy-to-Read Version
Be Ready for the Lord’s Coming
5 Now, brothers and sisters, we don’t need to write to you about times and dates. 2 You know very well that the day when the Lord comes again will be a surprise, like a thief who comes at night. 3 People will say, “We have peace and we are safe.” At that time destruction will come to them quickly, like the pains of a woman giving birth. And those people will not escape.

4 But you, brothers and sisters, are not living in darkness. And so that day will not surprise you like a thief. 5 You are all people who belong to the light. You belong to the day. We don’t belong to the night or to darkness. 6 So we should not be like other people. We should not be sleeping. We should be awake and have self-control. 7 People who sleep, sleep at night. People who drink too much, drink at night. 8 But we belong to the day, so we should control ourselves. We should wear faith and love to protect us. And the hope of salvation should be our helmet.

9 God did not choose us to suffer his anger. God chose us to have salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ. 10 Jesus died for us so that we can live together with him. It is not important if we are alive or dead when Jesus comes. 11 So encourage each other and help each other grow stronger in faith, just as you are already doing.

Final Instructions and Greetings
12 Now brothers and sisters, we ask you to recognize the value of those who work hard among you—those who, as followers of the Lord, care for you and tell you how to live. 13 Show them the highest respect and love because of the work they do.

Live in peace with each other. 14 We ask you, brothers and sisters, to warn those who will not work. Encourage those who are afraid. Help those who are weak. Be patient with everyone. 15 Be sure that no one pays back wrong for wrong. But always try to do what is good for each other and for all people.

16 Always be full of joy. 17 Never stop praying. 18 Whatever happens, always be thankful. This is how God wants you to live in Christ Jesus.

19 Don’t stop the work of the Holy Spirit. 20 Don’t treat prophecy like something that is not important. 21 But test everything. Keep what is good, 22 and stay away from everything that is evil.

23 We pray that God himself, the God of peace, will make you pure—belonging only to him. We pray that your whole self—spirit, soul, and body—will be kept safe and be blameless when our Lord Jesus Christ comes. 24 The one who chose you will do that for you. You can trust him.

25 Brothers and sisters, please pray for us. 26 Give all the brothers and sisters the special greeting of God’s people.[a] 27 I tell you by the authority of the Lord to read this letter to all the believers there. 28 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you.

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Greetings from the Elder.[a]

To the lady chosen by God and to her children.

I truly love all of you. And I am not the only one. All those who know the truth[c] love you in the same way. 2 We love you because of the truth—the truth that lives in us. That truth will be with us forever.

3 Grace, mercy, and peace will be with us from God the Father and from his Son, Jesus Christ, as we live in truth and love.

4 I was very happy to learn about some of your children. I am happy that they are following the way of truth, just as the Father commanded us. 5 And now, dear lady, I tell you: We should all love each other. This is not a new command. It is the same command we had from the beginning. 6 And loving means living the way he commanded us to live. And God’s command is this: that you live a life of love. You heard this command from the beginning.

7 Many false teachers are in the world now. They refuse to say that Jesus Christ came to earth and became a man. Anyone who refuses to accept this fact is a false teacher and the enemy of Christ. 8 Be careful! Don’t lose the reward we[d] have worked for. Be careful so that you will receive all of that reward.

9 Everyone must continue to follow only the teaching about Christ. Whoever changes that teaching does not have God. But whoever continues to follow the teaching about Christ has both the Father and his Son. 10 Don’t accept those who come to you but do not bring this teaching. Don’t invite them into your house.
Don’t welcome them in any way. 11 If you do, you are helping them with their evil work.

12 I have much to say to you. But I don’t want to use paper and ink. Instead, I hope to come visit you. Then we can be together and talk. That will make us very happy. 13 The children of your sister[e] who was chosen by God send you their love

1 Thessalonians 5:21
Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.

1 Thessalonians 5
Easy-to-Read Version
Be Ready for the Lord’s Coming
5 Now, brothers and sisters, we don’t need to write to you about times and dates. 2 You know very well that the day when the Lord comes again will be a surprise, like a thief who comes at night. 3 People will say, “We have peace and we are safe.” At that time destruction will come to them quickly, like the pains of a woman giving birth. And those people will not escape.

4 But you, brothers and sisters, are not living in darkness. And so that day will not surprise you like a thief. 5 You are all people who belong to the light. You belong to the day. We don’t belong to the night or to darkness. 6 So we should not be like other people. We should not be sleeping. We should be awake and have self-control. 7 People who sleep, sleep at night. People who drink too much, drink at night. 8 But we belong to the day, so we should control ourselves. We should wear faith and love to protect us. And the hope of salvation should be our helmet.

9 God did not choose us to suffer his anger. God chose us to have salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ. 10 Jesus died for us so that we can live together with him. It is not important if we are alive or dead when Jesus comes. 11 So encourage each other and help each other grow stronger in faith, just as you are already doing.

Final Instructions and Greetings
12 Now brothers and sisters, we ask you to recognize the value of those who work hard among you—those who, as followers of the Lord, care for you and tell you how to live. 13 Show them the highest respect and love because of the work they do.

Live in peace with each other. 14 We ask you, brothers and sisters, to warn those who will not work. Encourage those who are afraid. Help those who are weak. Be patient with everyone. 15 Be sure that no one pays back wrong for wrong. But always try to do what is good for each other and for all people.

16 Always be full of joy. 17 Never stop praying. 18 Whatever happens, always be thankful. This is how God wants you to live in Christ Jesus.

19 Don’t stop the work of the Holy Spirit. 20 Don’t treat prophecy like something that is not important. 21 But test everything. Keep what is good, 22 and stay away from everything that is evil.

23 We pray that God himself, the God of peace, will make you pure—belonging only to him. We pray that your whole self—spirit, soul, and body—will be kept safe and be blameless when our Lord Jesus Christ comes. 24 The one who chose you will do that for you. You can trust him.

25 Brothers and sisters, please pray for us. 26 Give all the brothers and sisters the special greeting of God’s people.[a] 27 I tell you by the authority of the Lord to read this letter to all the believers there. 28 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you.
Revelation 12:11
[11]And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.

I will continue to overcome by the blood of the Lamb AND by the word of MY testimony. If you want to test anything, then ask God.

Reactions: St. SteVen

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is the truth what I've said that I live under threat because I turned to Christ (at age 13) and have broken their programming that was forced upon me from birth and speak out to expose them. These are a few of the photos that I have taken as documentation when I suffer punishments from the cult. I have shared these and more with select people on this forum, a medical professional who I see on a regular basis, and local friends. Other photos would not be appropriate to share publicly. The last one was taken by a trusted friend .....bruises on my ribs/back.

If you want to disregard ....fine. But this is enough. Do you understand? I am under enough than to be attacked by people who name the name of Christ. I am not a liar. You come back after you've suffered .....even unto death if need be ....for your testimony in Christ. Until then, I don't see any value unless your purpose is to do satan's work and add to persecution of a sister in Christ.

@amigo de christo
@Lambano
@Heart2Soul
@Debp
@teamventure

Attachments

• 19045_caff9755e97ec312df692d6db3e2c881.jpg
    19045_caff9755e97ec312df692d6db3e2c881.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 16094_04de47214071ccf5d42f963f41f91f2f.png
    16094_04de47214071ccf5d42f963f41f91f2f.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
  • 16093_9034e7f8a6cbd6ac3ee34f6fd1b23a32.png
    16093_9034e7f8a6cbd6ac3ee34f6fd1b23a32.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20231006_093738~3.jpg
    IMG_20231006_093738~3.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What I would much rather do is glorify God who has kept me through everything ...for His purposes. I look forward to the time when I will be Home with my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, my children and my father and mother who both came to Christ ....an uncle, and some others .....fellow survivors who have passed away and left this life never to suffer again.

This is my testimony.

Psalm 23:1-6

[1](A Psalm of David.) The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
[2]He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
[3]He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
[4]Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
[5]Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
[6]Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

Please ....please, share what God has done for you. Testify of Him and His goodness. That's what we need more of in this world.

• Love
Reactions: St. SteVen

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And this one ......maybe someone else can relate?

"Through the Fire"
the Crabb Family

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How does one evaluate a testimony?

Timeline make sense?

What can be verified?

Any other ideas?
We should evaluate your testimony based on the criteria you provided.
Please provide it for us. Thanks. (a link is fine)

Be sure that the timeline make sense.
That it can be verified.
And that it is truthful.

Are you able to do that?

/

Reactions: TLHKAJ