How does one evaluate a testimony?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Timeline make sense?

What can be verified?

Any other ideas?
I have often wondered this too. People exaggerate.
But then if they are giving their testimony while getting baptized, or before, they are still babes . They can get excited and "embellish" their stories.
So, as far as "... evaluate a testimony?" goes. Watch for their fruits. Are they growing in Christ? Have they honestly repented? Eventually, it will come out.
JM2C :)

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
What are they talking about, becoming a Christian years ago or very recently?
If years ago, as Nancy said, how do they live, what has happened recently, how does God help them in their daily walk with him.
If its a recent conversion, what affects is it having in their life, how do they cope, how are they walking with God.
Anyone who tal,s about life being easy, has no daily struggle is making it up and it is a valueless testimony.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Timeline make sense?

What can be verified?

Any other ideas?
SIGH...

Why is SUSPICION of lying the first choice for evaluating a Christian testimony?
Shouldn't we give them the benefit of the doubt before grilling them to "extract" the truth,
the WHOLE truth and NOTHING but the truth? (right hand on a stack of Bibles)

If we discern by the Spirit that something doesn't add up, or if there are obvious inconsistencies,
that's one thing. But to approach every testimony like a cross-examining lawyer is a bit much. IMHO

If we REALLY want to evaluate a life in Christ, we should begin with the person we see in the mirror
every morning. Sort that out and everything else will fall in line after that.

Last edited:

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What are they talking about, becoming a Christian years ago or very recently?
If years ago, as Nancy said, how do they live, what has happened recently, how does God help them in their daily walk with him.
If its a recent conversion, what affects is it having in their life, how do they cope, how are they walking with God.
Anyone who tal,s about life being easy, has no daily struggle is making it up and it is a valueless testimony.
There have been Christian Celebrities, whoose testimonies have been proved as false, a fraud.
Thus it is neccesary for us to learn how to test stories. I agree, with the average Christian looking for the fruit and II Peter 1 in our life applies. But, when a testimony is weird, it needs to be examined closely.

Reactions: amigo de christo

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
SIGH...

Why is SUSPICION of lying the first choice for evaluating a Christian testimony?
Shouldn't we give them the benefit of the doubt before grilling them to "extract" the truth,

If we discern by the Spirit that something doesn't add up, or if there is obvious inconsistencies,
that's one thing. But to approach every testimony like a cross-examining lawyer is a bit much. IMHO

If we REALLY want to evaluate a life in Christ, we should begin with the person we see in the mirror
When Jesus uses me to convert one to him. I have them call a fellow Christian to share their testimony. But, when a testimony is unreal, outragious, we must evaluate it honestly. Especially if it published in a book format. I am not talking about the everyday praise report.

Reactions: amigo de christo

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When Jesus uses me to convert one to him. I have them call a fellow Christian to share their testimony. But, when a testimony is unreal, outragious, we must evaluate it honestly. Especially if it published in a book format. I am not talking about the everyday praise report.
I objected to your OP because it takes the posture that Christian testimonies are always suspect of falsehood.

Here's your evaluation checklist.
Timeline make sense?

What can be verified?

Any other ideas?
Seems to be a completely negative approach.
Shouldn't we give a Christian the benefit of the doubt?
Or do we assume Christians are on average the biggest liars in society?

/

Reactions: TLHKAJ and Mink57

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But then if they are giving their testimony while getting baptized, or before, they are still babes . They can get excited and "embellish" their stories.
So, as far as "... evaluate a testimony?" goes. Watch for their fruits. Are they growing in Christ? Have they honestly repented? Eventually, it will come out.
and come out it will indeed dear sister .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When a testimony says nothing about JESUS CHRIST
but rather tells of a lifes journey and coming to a certain truth , YET NO MENTION OF JESUS CHRIST
RUN for the hills its new age conversion .
And if it do speak of jesus but within the testimony one speaks about HOW JESUS Opened their eyes to love
and yet THIS LOVE contradicts biblical truth and focuses rather on acceptance of sins , RUN FOR THE HILLLS
and dont look back its inclusive new age .
As sister nancy also said YE will in time know them by their fruits .
If the jesus they speak about contradicts the JESUS in the bible , SOMETHING IS and has went DEAD WRONG .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There have been Christian Celebrities, whoose testimonies have been proved as false, a fraud.
Thus it is neccesary for us to learn how to test stories. I agree, with the average Christian looking for the fruit and II Peter 1 in our life applies. But, when a testimony is weird, it needs to be examined closely.
Many have come to another jesus . Ye will know them by their fruits
A recent conversion with this superstar lady is HIGHLY SUSPECT .
For she spoke more of a new age term jesus .
No mention of even believing on JESUS CHRIST at all .
THAT BE A MASSIVE RED FLAG .
More on light , transistion , postition , etc .
IF one makes the claim JESUS CHRIST truly drew me to him
and i surrendered all when HE TOLD me my being gay was good and GOD is love. THEN KNOW AND UNDERSTAND
IT WASNT JESUS WHO DREW HER , it was the dark one coming in under guise and using that name .
More and more testimonies are beginning to surface
about HOW THIS jesus is coming in to folks and SURE SEEMS to be CORRECTING BIBLE DOCTRINE
and saying GOD is love and all is well . THEN they stand up and tell the people HOW the bible and true christains
had led them away from GOD but how this new jesus brought them back .
ITS A SHAM . FOR JESUS Never has been , never was and never will be the minstir of SIN .
HE WONT HONOR SIN and call biblical TRUTH LIES . THAT AINT JESUS . That aint JESUS at all .

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
SIGH...

If we discern by the Spirit that something doesn't add up, or if there are obvious inconsistencies,

What if they are deceived and not reallly a believer. The NT is filled with examples of being deceived and false teachers.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What if they are deceived and not reallly a believer. The NT is filled with examples of being deceived and false teachers.
I agree that we should be on the lookout for that sort of thing.
But do we assume that Christians giving testimony are guilty until proven innocent?
Why would ANYONE want to testify in such a negative church environment?

Furthermore, how do we define "deceived"?
Does that mean anyone that doesn't subscribe to our SPECIFIC brand of Christianity?
(at the granular level) Do we live to serve the echo chamber? Glad-handing those who "say it right".
And heaven help you if you "say it wrong".

I'm Protestant, but I have learned to accept my Catholic brothers and sisters as a part of the whole church.
I used to grill them on their "wrong" doctrine in the hopes of converting them from their ignorance.
In one particular exchange my Catholic brother was infinitely patient with me. He heard me out. And then
he explained where they were coming from. They had as much biblical support for their position as I had for mine.
And were educated in church history and tradition. Something completely lacking in my upbringing.

This was a turning point for me. I give everyone the benefit of the doubt now.
There are JWs and SDAs on this forum that I count as dear brothers and sisters in Christ.
It doesn't mean I agree 100% with their doctrine. And they return the respect
I show them seven-fold. I don't declare war on neighboring tribes.

/

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Something interesting in the Hebrews history is that they would grab at their testies, when they made a testimony infront of people, it would mean they swear before God on their own life maker, which they testified on their livelihood because all they ever did was make children and more children as numerous as the stars in the sky. Talk about some testimonies coming from the Prophets of Old, and those in the Apostolic Record when that happened. Just a little interesting look into the life of a Hebrew.

• Love
Reactions: ScottA

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
and i surrendered all when HE TOLD me my being gay was good and GOD is love. THEN KNOW AND UNDERSTAND
IT WASNT JESUS WHO DREW HER , it was the dark one coming in under guise and using that name .
about HOW THIS jesus is coming in to folks and SURE SEEMS to be CORRECTING BIBLE DOCTRINE
and saying GOD is love and all is well . THEN they stand up and tell the people HOW the bible and true christains
ITS A SHAM . FOR JESUS Never has been , never was and never will be the minstir of SIN .
HE WONT HONOR SIN and call biblical TRUTH LIES . THAT AINT JESUS . That aint JESUS at all

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Something interesting in the Hebrews history is that they would grab at their testies, when they made a testimony infront of people, it would mean they swear before God on their own life maker, which they testified on their livelihood because all they ever did was make children and more children as numerous as the stars in the sky. Talk about some testimonies coming from the Prophets of Old, and those in the Apostolic Record when that happened. Just a little interesting look into the life of a Hebrew.
HE WONT HONOR SIN and call biblical TRUTH LIES . THAT AINT JESUS . That aint JESUS at all

Reactions: Marvelloustime

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It isn't our place to pick apart, judge, or verify someone's testimony. If they have had a true conversion from death to life through Jesus Christ, they have a right to tell their testimony no matter how "outrageous" it may be. Where in scripture are we told to deny or prevent any believer from sharing their testimony, or to judge it?

One sure way of knowing a testimony is true is that the person will show a life of overcoming the things God saved them out of. In other words, their fruits will show that they are His.

Revelation 12:11

[11]And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.

If we take the defensive, suspicious stance, we find ourselves an enemy of God Himself because we are denying His work in our brothers and sisters in Christ. This becomes the outrageous part, because these who take a stance of suspicion become obsessed with discrediting a born again child of God because they don't believe their "outrageous testimony." And then that person will resort to taking "testimony" (whether true or untrue) of people who don't even know Christ in order to try to disprove a brother or sister in Christ's testimony.

Let God be the judge ....and watch their fruit. That's as far as we Biblically need to carry it.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It isn't our place to pick apart, judge, or verify someone's testimony. If they have had a true conversion from death to life through Jesus Christ, they have a right to tell their testimony no matter how "outrageous" it may be. Where in scripture are we told to deny or prevent any believer from sharing their testimony, or to judge it?
Great post, thanks.
It just occurred to me as I read your first paragraph that my own testimony is outrageous.
And there is no way I could verify it. Is it therefore invalid? According to the OP, yes, invalid. My testimony doesn't pass muster.

If we take the defensive, suspicious stance, we find ourselves an enemy of God Himself because we are denying His work in our brothers and sisters in Christ. This becomes the outrageous part, because these who take a stance of suspicion become obsessed with discrediting a born again child of God because they don't believe their "outrageous testimony." And then that person will resort to taking "testimony" (whether true or untrue) of people who don't even know Christ in order to try to disprove a brother or sister in Christ's testimony.
Yes.
Attributing the work of God to Satan is the unforgivable sin, blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. IMHO

/

Reactions: TLHKAJ