How does one "receive" Jesus and His subsequent power?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
Not power? The Grace of God IS power. It is not unmerited favor as has been erroneously taught for hundreds of years. The power of God is what makes us born again into new creatures. Actually, we have the same body, but not the same nature. It has been changed to partake of the divine nature of God, so that we do not sin. That is not a dangerous power, but a life-giving power unto eternal life.

You and I are speaking of two different things. The power of God in a believers life and lusting for your own power.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Accusations of blaspheming the Holy Spirit is a false signs and wonders decieved persons go to rebuttal.
It is quite obvious what manifestations aren't of God except if someone lusts for power and decieves themselves.
If you operate supernaturally and it's not of God then you could be walking in deception and doing the devils work so I hope you can tell the difference.

I didn't understand your first sentence. It may be a grammar problem...

Your second sentence didn't make sense either. You are saying that if one lusts for power and deceives themselves, then it is of God. I don't think you meant that.

Third sentence. I believe if someone is born with a supernatural gift, such as fortunetelling, they inherited a demon from a forefather to the third and fourth generation of them who hate Me. As for me, I never even had an answer to prayer until after I was filled with Him Spirit and fell madly in love with Jesus. And immediately I received gifts, such as hearing God's voice, and knowing the meaning of His Word.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You and I are speaking of two different things. The power of God in a believers life and lusting for your own power.

I didn't read Gideon's post, but I can't imagine him talking about the carnal lusting for power... I answered according to what I assumed Gideon meant. Maybe I should have read his first. LOL

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
I didn't understand your first sentence. It may be a grammar problem...

Your second sentence didn't make sense either. You are saying that if one lusts for power and deceives themselves, then it is of God. I don't think you meant that.

Third sentence. I believe if someone is born with a supernatural gift, such as fortunetelling, they inherited a demon from a forefather to the third and fourth generation of them who hate Me. As for me, I never even had an answer to prayer until after I was filled with Him Spirit and fell madly in love with Jesus. And immediately I received gifts, such as hearing God's voice, and knowing the meaning of His Word.

Let me put it this way, accusing someone of blaspheming God for calling out a false sign or wonder for what it is is an excuse to walk in darkness and so is distracting from the issue by calling something bad grammar.

Your second rebuttal may be a lack of reading comprehension. But you are right, I didn't mean that.

Being filled with the spirit happens at the moment someone is born again.

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
I didn't read Gideon's post, but I can't imagine him talking about the carnal lusting for power... I answered according to what I assumed Gideon meant. Maybe I should have read his first. LOL

Even the title of this thread he made is telling. How to recieve power?
Maybe you can't imagine it because you want to hide from the truth.

Gideons300

Nov 3, 2020
Maryville, Tn.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gideon, a lot of what you say we need, like striving in the faith, and not being lukewarm. However, the answer is not attaining power. that is a dangerous place to go.
Wanting more than things like the word, prayer, and fellowship can be a lust for things that aren't of God, like weilding power that is of another spirit.
Then I suspect, since it is God who gives the power to see His name glorified, and wants that for us, He is going to rise up men and women truly kept by the power of God through faith, who can stare down such temptation and bow low to their most beloved God, eyes fixed on Him alone. Amen?

Your statement has much merit and I do understand where you are coming from. May I share with you my thoughts? Why do we often see this take on things, where we must fear how we will react to certain things? Is it not because deep down, we do not trust "us"? Our experience in the past has shown us that too much temptation and we seem to begin to 'wobble', lol. Does that sound like you?

Wouldn't it be awesome to be totally free from that wobble-prone' old nature? I mean like GONE!? And if I told you there really was a way, a SURE way, no matter how weak you may be? No one can fail here. Real safety. Real abiding. Real victory manifested to us.... through us. Whoa.

But that "us".... the "us" that loves self first with God as co-pilot, it must go. And I am convinced of the Lord that before the end that is fast-approaching, millions of His own are going to be awakened by their faithful God and see the full truth that we are now, right now.... new creatures.

Look. Head knowledge of this just makes our heads bigger, lol. Yes, we are still residing in bodies of flesh. But praise God, He declares we owe it NOTHING. .He has provided a way to escape the iron rule of the body of this death.... our old nature... self. Not you. Let this get tattooed into your brain's DNA. That WAS us. But it cannot be us now, for we were made alive, changed into new natured man and women. .

Brother, thank you for bringing up this point for it is a perfect example of what is impossible with man is no only possible but promised by our God. Man can only stand so long before temptation, whether in strength or duration. At some point, the wobble grows until it causes us to slip back into sin. But God IN man? It's a whole new ball game.

I pray we all come into the unity of the faith and finally believe with our hearts that it really is "It is no more I that live but Christ who now lives in me." When that happens, when we finally actually 'get it' that we are not two-natured people, we never were. We are NOT the black and white dog battling it out for supremacy, with us inexplicably always seeming to sneak food to our black dog when everyonecelse is asleep. LOL.

Let's 'make our tree good' by the word of our testimony, and then remember.... always....that We WERE that black dog. That dog don't hunt no more. That dog dead.

We finally will discover what 'that rest that remains for the people of God' really looks like when we live it out for others to see. That day is coming and for all who love the Lord in sincerity, will be glorious.

blessings,

Gideon

Gideons300

Nov 3, 2020
Maryville, Tn.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So..... what about the power? Are we talking leg lengthenings, or seeing the lame walk..... or, is it something far more glorifying to God.

The power to BE witnesses. Not DO witness. BE witnesses. What power is that? God doing it in us, causing us to take the way of escape every time. True safety, and thecworld will sit up and marvel.

blessings,

Gideon

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
Then I suspect, since it is God who gives the power to see His name glorified, and wants that for us, He is going to rise up men and women truly kept by the power of God through faith, who can stare down such temptation and bow low to their most beloved God, eyes fixed on Him alone. Amen?
Gideon

That statement suggests that God giving you power would open you up to temptation.
Do you see anything wrong with that?

Gideons300

Nov 3, 2020
Maryville, Tn.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That statement suggests that God giving you power would open you up to temptation.
We are not to be ignorant of his devices. However, does our God not know how to deliver the godly out of temptation? Temptation is not sin. For a man to be tempted greatly, and never even let our a quiver, let alone a wobble, lol, does this not bring great glory to God?

Shall we dodge God's will for us, because we may fall? Is this ultimately simply doubting God's keeping promise that He will not let us fall? How amazing it is going to be to see men and women of God walking in full confidence that they KNOW in whom they have believed and are confident that He is able to keep that which has been committed to Him until that day and that what He promised, He was able also to perform. Wow!

blessings,

Gideon

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
We are not to be ignorant of his devices. However, does our God not know how to deliver the godly out of temptation? Temptation is not sin. For a man to be tempted greatly, and never even let our a quiver, let alone a wobble, lol, does this not bring great glory to God?

Shall we dodge God's will for us, because we may fall? Is this ultimately simply doubting God's keeping promise that He will not let us fall? How amazing it is going to be to see men and women of God walking in full confidence that they KNOW in whom they have believed and are confident that He is able to keep that which has been committed to Him until that day and that what He promised, He was able also to perform. Wow!

blessings,

Gideon

Gideon, you have smooth words, but it appears you dodge the main issues.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Lord is our hope , our shield and our strength . No matter what we go through HE is with us . Let us honor HIM and praise Him with much thanksgiving .
This life is truly but a vapor . One day life as we know it will be over . Where one spends eternity will truly be all that matters .
In JESUS is this hope and the Only hope for this wonderful eternal life IS in Christ .
Let us cling to Him . Let us be refreshed daily in scriptures . Exhorting one another . Jesus told peter to FEED my Sheep . Peter would years later
say the same thing to the elders he wrote the letter too . Feed the flock among you . Our whole hope lies in JESUS alone . Let us thank God continually .
Being hearers and doers of the Word . Being faithful to HE who has saved us . Let us focus more than ever on the things of GOD , and the HOPE we have at HIS COMING .
The faith that seemed to please JESUS , i notice it several times in the gospels . And each one knew and thought they were not even worthy for HIM .
Like that one man , said I am not even worthy for you to come under my roof ,
Like the lady who had a daughter vexed by the devil , she says , oh yes Lord , but even the dogs eat the crumbs which fall from the childrens table .
Even john , Who knew HE was not even worthy to unstrap the latchet of JESUS Shoe .
Let us simply be thankful , thankful unto HE who has saved us . Clinging to His every word , To the Comforter and looking out for one another .
I Feel so sad for so many . I also feel sad when i see these folks just fighting all the time over these politics . Our hope is in Christ .
If anything let us pray folks repent . Let us focus on the REAL HOPE we have . WHICH IS ETERNAL LIFE , WHICH IS IN JESUS .
Life can be over in an instant . Where one spends eternity , they wont be wishing or hoping in anything of this world . Many will be tormented for ever
And lambs will enjoy eternal life forever . But time is running out . It truly is . NO one even knows if this is their last day on earth either .
We must look out for one another and always be thanking the LORD . Exhorting on pure doctrine . Stirring one another up by way of remembrance .
The hope is not on this earth . HE IS IN HEAVEN . AND HE WILL come for the lambs one day . ON HIS day many are gonna wail . This is truth .
They gonna wail , wishing they had truly known Him . But too late it will be . The time to point to JESUS is now . Time for prayers
and time for all biblical reminders is now . For one day its too late and will be too late for many .
Les is making rounds . That does make my soul happy . I enjoy sisters gems she brings too . Makes my soul real happy .
WE truly have so much hope and so much to be thankful for IN CHRIST . And yes some serious hard times will be coming . BUT EVEN THEN HE WILL BE WITH US .
Let all endure faithful unto the end . Having all hope above on Christ .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Take heed unto the sound bibilcal doctrine and unto our own bodies .
GOD will give us a way out of every temptation common to man . WE have all we need IN CHRIST to be overcomers .
JESUS came to set the captives free from sin , not free to sin .
Let us truly relearn our bibles well . Be reading those gospels and the letters from the apostels and all sound doctrine .

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let me put it this way, accusing someone of blaspheming God for calling out a false sign or wonder for what it is is an excuse to walk in darkness and so is distracting from the issue by calling something bad grammar.

Your second rebuttal may be a lack of reading comprehension. But you are right, I didn't mean that.

Being filled with the spirit happens at the moment someone is born again.

How does one know if they are born again? Is it by faith, or do you actually experience the transformation?

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I don't know how you can say that any gift of God would cause us to open up to temptation. The actual meaning of the gifts of the Spirit are power gifts. How else could Paul say, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"? Do not demean a gift of God with your focus on a warped definition of power. The power of God is called divine power, and it is for good, not for bad.

Grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord, 3 as His divine power has given to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him who called us by glory and virtue, 4 by which have been given to us exceedingly great and precious promises, that through these you may be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

Last edited:

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you saying that a person is not forgiven during the time of conversion UNTIL water baptism occurs? I was shocked to read this... Just want to make sure I got it right.... Not interested in arguing... Just curious.

I was about to say the same thing @Adoration! What about the Ethiopian eunuch? He believed first, then asked Philip what would be stopping him from being baptized? Kind of like wanting to know the "rules", lol. And Philip say's: “If you believe with all of your heart you may be.” Acts 8:37
So, seems in this particular case...the belief in the Messiah came first, from reading the O.T. prophecies about Jesus, and then...he got water baptized.

And, @Adoration I do believe you were on here a few times, a while back? If so, how are you coming along? :)

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
And, @Adoration I do believe you were on here a few times, a while back? If so, how are you coming along? :)[/QUOTE]

Hello Precious sister... I fear I am not faring any better... and I have only been here about a week ( after a 4ish month break )... It's me... I don't have the patience or tolerance for arrogance and/or unnecessary bulliness... It's a time of deep division and discord... and so I have decided to just look around... and for the most part keep quiet and out of things... My visit with my daughter ended up being 6 weeks... I got home on October 8th... Just in time to get ready for snow... LOL . Hope all is well with you also. Nice to see a familiar face.

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
How does one know if they are born again? Is it by faith, or do you actually experience the transformation?

It's both, but I know what you're getting at with this so I'll beat you to it.
The "baptism of the holy spirit" as you call it is a false experience.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You must be misunderstanding something my friend .
I was simply showing that the Holy Spirit can come upon one and they can speak with the tongues ,
Even before they were water baptized . THEY did BELIEVE . But do notice that peter took every word of Jesus serious .
That is why even after they had recieved the baptism of the Holy Ghost , HE still says is there any water here that these may be baptized .
They actually followed JESUS instruction .
Romans 6 says water baptism is a burial with Christ unto his death.

If the Holy Ghost makes someone alive in Christ then baptism for the remission of sins is a "buried alive" process.

That is a trippy doctrine to have.