How does one "receive" Jesus and His subsequent power?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

user

Aug 4, 2019
usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The baptism Jesus is reffering to is the Baptism in the spirit which is a different Baptism than water baptism which is for believers. Spirit Baptism makes us a believer, and water baptism is our declaration and obedience to serve the Lord.

John 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

1 John 5:8 And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one.

Reactions: Nancy and Truther

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

1 John 5:8 And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one.

Well you should learn that John 3 refers to natural birth (birth in water) and spiritual birth! Jesus further shows that when He said that which is born of the flesh is flesh and those that are born of the spirit are spirit.

5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

1 John 5:8 has nothing to do with baptism.

Reactions: Nancy

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Per Acts 2:38, was baptism in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins or not?...

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Read this. It will do a better job of showing you than I can in this short space!

http://www.arielcontent.org/dcs/pdf/mbs109m.pdf

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well you should learn that John 3 refers to natural birth (birth in water) and spiritual birth! Jesus further shows that when He said that which is born of the flesh is flesh and those that are born of the spirit are spirit.

5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

Jesus said one must come from a mothers water break to be saved?

Wow.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Agreed totally with you here Ronald,
Several years back I tried to introduce this but, was shot down...as usual, lol. And yes indeed, 1 John 5:8 has absolutely not a thing to do with baptism...baptism is not even mentioned. Verse six is what settled it for me and, it was exciting at the time as, I had no idea other than baptism which, never seemed to fit the whole idea of what Jesus said.

Reactions: Ronald Nolette

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

1 John 5:7-8
or there are three that bear witness in heaven: the Father, the Word, and the Holy Spirit; and these three are one.
And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one

Question anyone. Many times Jewish writers make parallels next to each other. We know that the Father is Spirit, and there is a washing by the Word (and the Word was Jesus who cleanses us of our sin nature), but is there any correlation between the Holy Spirit and blood?

user

Aug 4, 2019
usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well you should learn that John 3 refers to natural birth (birth in water) and spiritual birth!

Let's take a look ...

John 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water amniotic fluid and the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

Nope, that's not it.

This is why water is important...

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Can you get to Heaven without the remission of sins?

Last edited:
Reactions: BGR

user

Aug 4, 2019
usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you saying that a person is not forgiven during the time of conversion UNTIL water baptism occurs? I was shocked to read this... Just want to make sure I got it right.... Not interested in arguing... Just curious.

That is correct. When a woman marries, she takes on the name of the groom. If we are to become a member of the bride of Christ, we must take on his name, which occurs at baptism.

Luke 24:47 And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem. [48] And ye are witnesses of these things. [49] And, behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high.

Let’s look at what Jesus’ disciples did with this command...

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

We see this is in Jesus name and baptism by immersion (not sprinkling) ...

Romans 6:3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
[4] Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

Unfortunately, today's church denies his name by using the generic titles of "Father, Son, Holy Ghost". And, they deny being buried with him by their use of "sprinkling".

This is why many are no longer content with a "reformation" -- they hunger for something more, a "transformation" found in obedience to Acts 2:38. We have his promise in verse 39...

Acts 2:39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

The Lord has not stopped calling.

Reactions: Truther

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is correct. When a woman marries, she takes on the name of the groom. If we are to become a member of the bride of Christ, we must take on his name, which occurs at baptism.

Luke 24:47 And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem. [48] And ye are witnesses of these things. [49] And, behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high.

Let’s look at what Jesus’ disciples did with this command...

We see this is in Jesus name and baptism by immersion (not sprinkling) ...

Romans 6:3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
[4] Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

Unfortunately, today's church denies his name by using the generic titles of "Father, Son, Holy Ghost". And, they deny being buried with him by their use of "sprinkling".

This is why many are no longer content with a "reformation" -- they hunger for something more, a "transformation" found in obedience to Acts 2:38. We have his promise in verse 39...

Acts 2:39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

The Lord has not stopped calling.
Sprinkling and omitting the name of Jesus in baptism is like no baptism at all to God.

Reactions: user

user

Aug 4, 2019
usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sprinkling and omitting the name of Jesus in baptism is like no baptism at all to God.

Many think the "natural" realm we live in is all there is to it, and that being a Christian is just a matter of their profession of faith. However, the Spiritual realm runs parallel. And, as a result, far too many simply fail to recognize, or benefit, from it.

The Natural Realm - Gospel Message:
1.) Death,
2.) Burial and
3.) Resurrection of Jesus Christ.

The Spiritual Realm Parallel - Gospel Message:
1.) Repentance (dying out to sin, self and the world)
2.) Baptism (by immersion -Romans 6:3) in the Precious Name of Jesus for the remission of sin, and
3.) Being born again - the infilling of the Holy Ghost "the Bible way", and rising to walk in the newness of life in Christ.

Peter applied this very same "Death, Burial, Resurrection" doctrine when asked, point blank, What shall we do to be saved...

Acts 2:37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
[38] Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
[39] For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

Reactions: Truther

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many think the "natural" realm we live in is all there is to it, and that being a Christian is just a matter of their profession of faith. However, the Spiritual realm runs parallel. And, as a result, far too many simply fail to recognize, or benefit, from it.

The Natural Realm - Gospel Message:
1.) Death,
2.) Burial and
3.) Resurrection of Jesus Christ.

The Spiritual Realm Parallel - Gospel Message:
1.) Repentance (dying out to sin, self and the world)
2.) Baptism (by immersion -Romans 6:3) in the Precious Name of Jesus for the remission of sin, and
3.) Being born again - the infilling of the Holy Ghost "the Bible way", and rising to walk in the newness of life in Christ.

Peter applied this very same "Death, Burial, Resurrection" doctrine when asked, point blank, What shall we do to be saved...

Acts 2:37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
[38] Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
[39] For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
Praise God for this Acts 2:38 truth.

user

Aug 4, 2019
usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Praise God for this Acts 2:38 truth.

Amen!
Why do some resist Acts 2:38 salvation?
If God were to have said, push a peanut down the block with your nose, multitudes would be at the store buying a bag of peanuts. However, there are always those like Naaman which go away angry, saying, “I thought that he would surely come out, stand and call on the name of the LORD his God, and wave his hand over the spot to cure my leprosy.

When Naaman obeyed, he then got the healing.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amen!
Why do some resist Acts 2:38 salvation?
If God were to have said, push a peanut down the block with your nose, multitudes would be at the store buying a bag of peanuts. However, there are always those like Naaman which go away angry, saying, “I thought that he would surely come out, stand and call on the name of the LORD his God, and wave his hand over the spot to cure my leprosy.

When Naaman obeyed, he then got the healing.
Actually, the devil has blinded the minds of those that refuse to obey Acts 2:38.

However, this is a voluntary blindness.

They must go through hell to obey it after being blinded, because the taskmaster will not let them go easily.

user

Aug 4, 2019
usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually, the devil has blinded the minds of those that refuse to obey Acts 2:38.

However, this is a voluntary blindness.

They must go through hell to obey it after being blinded, because the taskmaster will not let them go easily.

Yes. Spiritual influence from wickedness in high places.

Someone recently said on this forum, the pope which has the authority as the Bible itself, trampled under foot the 2nd commandment...

Exodus 20:4-6: “You shall not make for yourself a carved image—any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me, but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.”

pope-kiss-mary-595.jpg

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes. Spiritual influence from wickedness in high places.

Someone recently said on this forum, the pope which has the authority as the Bible itself, trampled under foot the 2nd commandment...

Exodus 20:4-6: “You shall not make for yourself a carved image—any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me, but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.”

pope-kiss-mary-595.jpg
Egad!

Well, I have a confession to make to you...

When I was a kid, I robbed God.

My brother, sister and I used to pray to the statue of Mary and steal her offerings to buy candy and gum.

They had a box at her feet that you could see folks' "tips" as they petitioned her for forgiveness and favors, then left money.

Help me Mary!

LOL

Reactions: user

user

Aug 4, 2019
usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 1:12
King James Version

12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

Was this power and official reception of Jesus in Acts 2, or some other way?

8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

Does this debunk the modernists that say "I receive Jesus" without receiving the baptism of the Holy Ghost per the Acts 2 experience?

Is there some new, modern way to receive Christ as one's personal savior and skip Acts?

Your questions or comments are welcome here.

Saying "I receive Jesus" is a first step but not the only step. We must be saved through the book of Acts, as everyone has done who was the recipient to the epistles.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Saying "I receive Jesus" is a first step but not the only step. We must be saved through the book of Acts, as everyone has done who was the recipient to the epistles.
Yes, to recieve Jesus is to recieve the Holy Ghost...

But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

This is the power of reception...

8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

Just a simple "I recieve Jesus" is not power, but a mind over matter idea.

user

Aug 4, 2019
usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, to recieve Jesus is to recieve the Holy Ghost...

But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

This is the power of reception...

Just a simple "I recieve Jesus" is not power, but a mind over matter idea.

Scripture says...

Galatians 3:27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

The problem is they haven't "put on Christ" because they are baptized into "Father, Son, Holy Ghost"

AND, have not been buried with him into his death(due to sprinkling and not immersion)...

[5] For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Scripture says...

Galatians 3:27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

The problem is they haven't "put on Christ" because they are baptized into "Father, Son, Holy Ghost"

AND, have not been buried with him into his death(due to sprinkling and not immersion)...

[5] For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:
Those that have not been baptized have not put on Christ and are wearing different garments....

11 And when the king came in to see the guests, he saw there a man which had not on a wedding garment:

12 And he saith unto him, Friend, how camest thou in hither not having a wedding garment? And he was speechless.

13 Then said the king to the servants, Bind him hand and foot, and take him away, and cast him into outer darkness, there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

14 For many are called, but few are chosen.

Yep, don't skip Acts 2:38, folks.