How does one "receive" Jesus and His subsequent power?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Matthew 20:23
And he saith unto them, Ye shall drink indeed of my cup, and be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with: but to sit on my right hand, and on my left, is not mine to give, but it shall be given to them for whom it is prepared of my Father.

Was Jesus immersed here? Was it water immersion he was referring to?

Acts 1:5
For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence.

HMM???? Jesus is showing the Baptism that we must be baptized with!

Acts 2:38
Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Was Peter being disobedient to teh command of Jesus here?

Matthew 28:19
King James Version

19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost

Peter told teh Jews to be baptized only in the name of Jesus! That is not the command Jesus gave.

1 Corinthians 12:13
For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

That is not immersion but regenersation! Immersion in water follows!

So please explain Matthew 23:20. He was in the upper room and went to teh mount of olives- . I have been there. NO water for immersion.

Why did jesus contrast Johns water Baptism with teh Baptism of the Holy ghost? there were in the upper room when they were BAPTIZED in the Spirit! No immersion there!

YOu just think every single time the word baptism appears it must mean water immersion. but it doesn't.

Acts 8:16
(For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.)

Acts 11:16
Then remembered I the word of the Lord, how that he said, John indeed baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost.

1 Corinthians 10:2
And were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea;

I am not negating the importance of Baptism, just reminding you that water baptism doesn't save a soul. Otherwise teh penitnet thief didn'ty get saved.

Ephesians 2:8-9
King James Version

8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Still avoiding Jesus's words "He who believes and is baptized will be saved"

There is no point in continuing this.
Goodbye.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, Paul and John are doing the same thing. They are contrasting the Law vs. Jesus.

The Law could not make anyone holy because of sin. Romans 7:13-23, and 1 John 1:8
The Spirit can make us dead to sin. Romans 6:1-7 and 1 John 1:9

How do you explain John's contradiction in the same book? 1 John 3:9 Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God.

We are either still sinners with a carnal nature and of the devil, or we are cleansed of our sins and are now children of God, walking in a divine nature.
There is of course the possibility that some who claim to have been born of God, have not been... as they continue to yield to the attractions of the flesh. Some will redefine what it means to be born of God or redefine what sin is so as be with the "in crowd", but facades are made to impress men. God always looks at the heart no matter how 'good' the surface may appear to men.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is of course the possibility that some who claim to have been born of God, have not been... as they continue to yield to the attractions of the flesh. Some will redefine what it means to be born of God or redefine what sin is so as be with the "in crowd", but facades are made to impress men. God always looks at the heart no matter how 'good' the surface may appear to men.

I find that the same people who want to read and understand Romans 7:14-23 as Christians, also quote 1 John 1:8. It is like they are trying to justify their own struggle with sin by claiming that Paul did too. Anyone who struggles with sin is not born again, and it is no wonder they don't understand the Word of God. 1 Corinthians 2:13-14

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I find that the same people who want to read and understand Romans 7:14-23 as Christians, also quote 1 John 1:8. It is like they are trying to justify their own struggle with sin by claiming that Paul did too. Anyone who struggles with sin is not born again, and it is no wonder they don't understand the Word of God. 1 Corinthians 2:13-14
I really believe that God gave us types and shadows to help us understand the reality. In this case the type or shadow of natural child birth! What is the difference between the baby in the womb, the baby in the birth canal and the baby in the light taking his first breath? What is the difference between a new born infant and a mature adult? There is a real picture... a vision... to be seen in those, but some people are so deeply entrenched in what to me appears as delusion, that they refuse to listen to even a possibility that they might be in error.

Some have been conceived but have never left the womb. Some are in the birth canal but have yet to see the Light. Some are infants seemingly with their growth toward God stunted...

Reactions: CharismaticLady

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 20:23
And he saith unto them, Ye shall drink indeed of my cup, and be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with: but to sit on my right hand, and on my left, is not mine to give, but it shall be given to them for whom it is prepared of my Father.

Was Jesus immersed here? Was it water immersion he was referring to?

Acts 1:5
For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence.

HMM???? Jesus is showing the Baptism that we must be baptized with!

Acts 2:38
Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Was Peter being disobedient to teh command of Jesus here?

Matthew 28:19
King James Version

19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost

Peter told teh Jews to be baptized only in the name of Jesus! That is not the command Jesus gave.

1 Corinthians 12:13
For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

That is not immersion but regenersation! Immersion in water follows!

So please explain Matthew 23:20. He was in the upper room and went to teh mount of olives- . I have been there. NO water for immersion.

Why did jesus contrast Johns water Baptism with teh Baptism of the Holy ghost? there were in the upper room when they were BAPTIZED in the Spirit! No immersion there!

YOu just think every single time the word baptism appears it must mean water immersion. but it doesn't.

Acts 8:16
(For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.)

Acts 11:16
Then remembered I the word of the Lord, how that he said, John indeed baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost.

1 Corinthians 10:2
And were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea;

I am not negating the importance of Baptism, just reminding you that water baptism doesn't save a soul. Otherwise teh penitnet thief didn'ty get saved.

Ephesians 2:8-9
King James Version

8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
Jesus was water baptized, so we must also. What is good enough for him is good enough for us.

Jesus was full of the Holy Ghost, so we must be also. "What is good.......for us"

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well I did not "go around it". YOu making a big deal because I didn't quote is the mountain you are making. but if you feel I missed some pertinent items ni Acts- please feel free to post them.
37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

What shall you do, Ronald?

Same as above or something different?

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, Paul and John are doing the same thing. They are contrasting the Law vs. Jesus.

The Law could not make anyone holy because of sin. Romans 7:13-23, and 1 John 1:8
The Spirit can make us dead to sin. Romans 6:1-7 and 1 John 1:9

How do you explain John's contradiction in the same book? 1 John 3:9 Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God.

We are either still sinners with a carnal nature and of the devil, or we are cleansed of our sins and are now children of God, walking in a divine nature.
[8] If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. [9] If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. [10] If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

Show me a reference to a contrast...

This verse was hypothetical and not factual at the moment it was said?

As per the same book, John said(contextually meant) we are not accountable for our sinfulness, not that we are sinless.

Full context...

5 This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.

6 If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:

7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

Verse 8 and 10 is for not walking in the light.

The light of Jesus Christ trumps our existing darkess.

Last edited:

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
I wouldn't say "practice it" applies. What happened to me just happens to confirm what the Word of God says in Acts of the Apostles 2:38-39. I was like the publican that came into the temple to pray, knowing that I was a weak sinner that couldn't stop sinning, but didn't even want to stop. I had been raised in the Church and this was after 30 years of attending and always considering myself saved. In fact, I had already been baptized three times!

Now I found myself in a love affair that I never wanted to end. But he was married with children. Being the "other woman" was taking its toll, as I wanted a family too. I got depressed, so he paid for a psychiatrist who was into New Age, and told me basically, "well, if it feels good, do it." Somehow, I immediately recognized the advice was demonic, and it scared me, so I stopped making appointments to see him. Just thinking about the devil made me also think of God. I knew what I was doing was sin, and I loved this sin. But if I ever wanted to want to be free, I was going to have to find a stronger church, and started church hopping around Los Angeles. I finally settled in one that had been recommended and decided to be there whenever the doors were open. So twice Sunday morning, once Sunday evening, and once Wednesday night. After a month I decided to break off the affair. That lasted for three days of hell. We got back together for another month and I tried again. Same thing - hell. This pattern of one month on, three days off went on for a few months. He even offered to start a family on the side with him, and I even considered it, but just couldn't. At this point I just didn't want to go to hell for real and knew that somehow this affair was going to have to end, but I was too weak to break it off again when all I really wanted was to be with him. I was living Romans 7 - knowing what God demands, but the sin in me loves to sin.

Then one Sunday the pastor gave a sermon on integrity of heart. What I remember now about it was to be honest with God (like the publican). So I confessed to God that I loved this sin, and I had tried and tried to break it off for God, but I always failed. So I gave it to Him. I told Him that He was stronger than I was, and that if He wanted this affair broken, He was going to have to make my lover break up with me, and then give him the strength to stay away from me while I tried to get him back, because I knew I would. And what's more, God knew I would. So I just relaxed and didn't even try to end the affair. I was just going to enjoy it. One week later he came over and told me that he finally realized how he was hurting me. He couldn't be there when I needed him. So he broke it off, and that resolve gave him the strength to stay away from me for my own good.

That honest prayer was the first prayer in 30 years that God had ever answered. From then on for two weeks a chain of supernatural events happened and at the end of it I was filled with His Spirit from the top of my head to the bottom of my feet. I doubt you will believe all the things that happened, but what led up to it was the key, and basically answered your question - integrity of heart. The realization that I am a sinner, and nothing I do in my own power will ever make me holy. Only God in me can accomplish that miracle. And He did.

Thank You for your testimony. I do believe it. Why wouldn't I, it looks legit.
A very small fraction of my story, is a couple in leadership at a church I served at, told me "they" were going to "baptize me in the holy spirit." They said they were trained on how to baptize in the holy spirit and trained on how to pray. They lead me through their process of being "baptized in the holy spirit." And got me contriving a bunch of meaningless garble of half words not real tounges. It was totally bogus at best, and demonic at worst, and it creeped me out.
A matter of days or weeks later I was alone worshiping God and the Holy Spirit came on me for real, I fell on my face and began worshiping speaking full paragraphs fluently in another language. I believe God gave me that experience to help me distinguish the real from the false.

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
I'll just tell you what I believe about me, not Gids.

I know who I am in Christ. I have the authority to command healing and all the things Jesus did because now He is inside me and I abide in Him. But as far as my needs go, I trust God that He will provide and never get anxious for anything. That lack of fear is a source of power, and witnessing the result strengthens the large amount of faith that I already have. Being able to command healing and the healing takes place is power. The sense to stay away from temptation immediately is power. The resolve to die with no fear, rather than sin is power. (I knew if I stayed with my abusive husband that he would kill me, but I told God that I knew He hated divorce, and even if I wound up dead, I was not going to leave him. He would have to do all the sinning and leave me. He finally left me for the wife of his best friend, and divorced me without scriptural cause. Therefore, I don't date, and since 2001 he is still the last man I kissed. I would rather be alone, than sin. And I've grown more in the years since with God as my husband, than in all the years before since I was filled with the Spirit.)

However, I disagree with something here, in Christ we have authority to command evil spirits, but not to command healing. We pray for healing and God decides.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank You for your testimony. I do believe it. Why wouldn't I, it looks legit.
A very small fraction of my story, is a couple in leadership at a church I served at, told me "they" were going to "baptize me in the holy spirit." They said they were trained on how to baptize in the holy spirit and trained on how to pray. They lead me through their process of being "baptized in the holy spirit." And got me contriving a bunch of meaningless garble of half words not real tounges. It was totally bogus at best, and demonic at worst, and it creeped me out.
A matter of days or weeks later I was alone worshiping God and the Holy Spirit came on me for real, I fell on my face and began worshiping speaking full paragraphs fluently in another language. I believe God gave me that experience to help me distinguish the real from the false.

Basically the same thing happened to me during the 6 years I went from a Cessationist to knowing the gifts were still on earth until Jesus comes. They are part of our New Covenant. I also remember "trying" to speak in tongues, and now know I basically faked it "by faith." But there is a problem. No one can speak in tongues until they actually have the Holy Spirit indwelling them! But I'm glad I did, because I can spot fake tongues immediately, and I have a friend in the Word of Faith denomination that speaks fake tongues. BTW, I didn't speak in tongues that Wednesday night that I got filled. It was the following Sunday when we all lifted up praise to God as a congregation choir that when I "tried" to speak in tongues, a fluent language came out, rather than the made up hesitant syllables I had spoken myself before, like my friend still speaks.

Reactions: teamventure

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
However, I disagree with something here, in Christ we have authority to command evil spirits, but not to command healing. We pray for healing and God decides.

When you walk in the Spirit you know when to command healing and it will happen, just as Jesus did. Did you notice that at the Pool of Bethesda Jesus only healed one person, among all that were there? At least that is all that is recorded. I wonder if He really did leave the others. Also, I never heard of angels stirring the waters for healing the first who entered in the Old Testament, have you? There must be hundreds of types of miracles we know nothing about because they just didn't get recorded. That being said, I will never believe the sightings of Mary to be anything but demonic to take our eyes off Christ. People do get healed in the waters of Fatima, and at Lourdes, but you'll never catch me there!

Reactions: teamventure

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
[8] If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. [9] If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. [10] If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

Show me a reference to a contrast...

This verse was hypothetical and not factual at the moment it was said?

As per the same book, John said(contextually meant) we are not accountable for our sinfulness, not that we are sinless.

Full context...

5 This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.

6 If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:

7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

Verse 8 and 10 is for not walking in the light.

The light of Jesus Christ trumps our existing darkess.

I'd be happy to show you a reference to the Semitic writing style of contrasts. There is another style called parallelisms that are also very, very useful. Seeing as we were talking about 1 John 1, I'll start there, then 1 John 3. If you are observant, this will answer the question of why 1 John 8 and 10 are not together as the Greeks would have written it in their writing style. I've added what is meant. Contrasts here are Light/God vs. Darkness/Unsaved

vs. 5 God is Light
vs. 6 If you walk in Darkness

vs. 7 If you walk in the Light
vs. 8 If (an unbeliever) says they have no sin they lie
vs. 9 If you confess your sins ALL your sins will be cleansed and you are no longer a sinner
vs. 10 If an unbeliever who walks in darkness says they were born without sin they lie

The whole chapter three of 1 John are contrasts, but I'll just show you the first 9 vs. as an example.

Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called children of God! Therefore the world does not know us, because it did not know Him. 2 Beloved, now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is. 3 And everyone who has this hope in Him purifies himself, just as He is pure.

4 Whoever commits sin also commits lawlessness, and sin is lawlessness. 5 And you know that He was manifested to take away our sins, and in Him there is no sin. 6 Whoever abides in Him does not sin. Whoever sins has neither seen Him nor known Him.

7 Little children, let no one deceive you. He who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous. 8 He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has sinned from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil. 9 Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God.

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
Basically the same thing happened to me during the 6 years I went from a Cessationist to knowing the gifts were still on earth until Jesus comes. They are part of our New Covenant. I also remember "trying" to speak in tongues, and now know I basically faked it "by faith." But there is a problem. No one can speak in tongues until they actually have the Holy Spirit indwelling them! But I'm glad I did, because I can spot fake tongues immediately, and I have a friend in the Word of Faith denomination that speaks fake tongues. BTW, I didn't speak in tongues that Wednesday night that I got filled. It was the following Sunday when we all lifted up praise to God as a congregation choir that when I "tried" to speak in tongues, a fluent language came out, rather than the made up hesitant syllables I had spoken myself before, like my friend still speaks.

All sounds good. I believe you're legit. Pardon my intense vetting process.

Reactions: CharismaticLady

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

My own experience of being baptized in the Spirit was similar. When the visiting preacher laid hands on me he knew straight away that I had been filled but it was days later singing in my kitchen that I realised I was singing in tongues. I was so elated and kept on singing - verse and chorus - over and over and then all of a sudden I could sing the interpretation in English, straight out. Years later I realised it was a prophetic word for my own life and in due course God has shown me when certain aspects of it have come to be. And when I pray in tongues, like you said, it is fluent and sounds like a proper language which sentences and commas etc. And also I still sing in songs which is very uplifting.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'd be happy to show you a reference to the Semitic writing style of contrasts. There is another style called parallelisms that are also very, very useful. Seeing as we were talking about 1 John 1, I'll start there, then 1 John 3. If you are observant, this will answer the question of why 1 John 8 and 10 are not together as the Greeks would have written it in their writing style. I've added what is meant. Contrasts here are Light/God vs. Darkness/Unsaved

vs. 5 God is Light
vs. 6 If you walk in Darkness

vs. 7 If you walk in the Light
vs. 8 If (an unbeliever) says they have no sin they lie
vs. 9 If you confess your sins ALL your sins will be cleansed and you are no longer a sinner
vs. 10 If an unbeliever who walks in darkness says they were born without sin they lie

The whole chapter three of 1 John are contrasts, but I'll just show you the first 9 vs. as an example.

Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called children of God! Therefore the world does not know us, because it did not know Him. 2 Beloved, now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is. 3 And everyone who has this hope in Him purifies himself, just as He is pure.

4 Whoever commits sin also commits lawlessness, and sin is lawlessness. 5 And you know that He was manifested to take away our sins, and in Him there is no sin. 6 Whoever abides in Him does not sin. Whoever sins has neither seen Him nor known Him.

7 Little children, let no one deceive you. He who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous. 8 He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has sinned from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil. 9 Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God.
1 John was not written to sinners, but to saints.....

7 Brethren, I write no new commandment unto you, but an old commandment which ye had from the beginning. The old commandment is the word which ye have heard from the beginning.

Sinners are not "brethren".

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 John was not written to sinners, but to saints.....

7 Brethren, I write no new commandment unto you, but an old commandment which ye had from the beginning. The old commandment is the word which ye have heard from the beginning.

Sinners are not "brethren".

So saints are lying if they say they have no sin? Have they, or have they not been cleansed of all unrighteousness? If the have no sin, but insist they do, aren't they lying, and what's more slapping the One who cleansed them of all unrighteousness in the face?

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Still avoiding Jesus's words "He who believes and is baptized will be saved"

There is no point in continuing this.
Goodbye.
TA TA!

But for the rest- The baptism Jesus is reffering to is the Baptism in the spirit which is a different Baptism than water baptism which is for believers. Spirit Baptism makes us a believer, and water baptism is our declaration and obedience to serve the Lord.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus was water baptized, so we must also. What is good enough for him is good enough for us.

Jesus was full of the Holy Ghost, so we must be also. "What is good.......for us"

I never said we should not be baptized, for we should. It is a command! But water baptism doesn't save a soul. there is nothing mystical or magical about baptism. It is a declaration before the word and the spirit realm, we dclare our subservience to the Lord jesus.

37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

What shall you do, Ronald?

Same as above or something different?

Well the apostles were commanded to baptize everyone in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Peter is saying here just in the name of Jesus? OH OH problem here superficially. No. Without writing a theological treatise let me explain:

1. Acts is never a book to build a doctrine on. It can confirm doctrine played out. It is the historical book of the NT (with the gospels)

2. this is a unique never to be repeated time in history. the transition from the Israeli dispensation or economy to the church!

3. these were eyewitnesses to the events surrounding Jesus!

4. these were Jews transitioning from the old economy to the new. Acts 18 and 19 also exemplify this.
To these they were baptized in the name of jesus. One was saved prior and one was not.

5. Now this is opinion and is anywhere from 0-100% right. But based on teh Scriptures and the uniqueness of the time, Jews coming to Christ who seemed to be baptized in JOhns baptism only required to be baptized in Jesus name.

Every one else- we follow the formula Jesus commanded the Apostles.

Once again. I believe every one who names the name of Jesus should be baptized. It is a command. but baptism does not save us. Trust in teh death and resurrection of Jesus alone saves us! Water Baptism follows this act of faith.

An excellent study I use as teaching material on Baptism is this:

http://www.arielcontent.org/dcs/pdf/mbs109m.pdf

Free to download and print. Hope you take the short time to read it. It goes into greater depth on some of the questions you raise.

Reactions: Nancy

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So saints are lying if they say they have no sin? Have they, or have they not been cleansed of all unrighteousness? If the have no sin, but insist they do, aren't they lying, and what's more slapping the One who cleansed them of all unrighteousness in the face?
I think you know just as I do how it works.

The blood of Jesus MAKES our spirit man free, but our carnal human nature must be buffeted daily as it rises up against our saved spirit man.(The Holy Ghost that is connected to our human spirit assists it to fight back).

Our flesh is bound for death because it is potentially sinful, but our spirit is saved for eternity.

To God, our flesh stinks but our spirit man is a sweet smelling savor.

That is exactly why the flesh must be put off to save us.

Paul said...

24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?

25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

Welcome to the war, sis.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I never said we should not be baptized, for we should. It is a command! But water baptism doesn't save a soul. there is nothing mystical or magical about baptism. It is a declaration before the word and the spirit realm, we dclare our subservience to the Lord jesus.

Well the apostles were commanded to baptize everyone in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Peter is saying here just in the name of Jesus? OH OH problem here superficially. No. Without writing a theological treatise let me explain:

1. Acts is never a book to build a doctrine on. It can confirm doctrine played out. It is the historical book of the NT (with the gospels)

2. this is a unique never to be repeated time in history. the transition from the Israeli dispensation or economy to the church!

3. these were eyewitnesses to the events surrounding Jesus!

4. these were Jews transitioning from the old economy to the new. Acts 18 and 19 also exemplify this.
To these they were baptized in the name of jesus. One was saved prior and one was not.

5. Now this is opinion and is anywhere from 0-100% right. But based on teh Scriptures and the uniqueness of the time, Jews coming to Christ who seemed to be baptized in JOhns baptism only required to be baptized in Jesus name.

Every one else- we follow the formula Jesus commanded the Apostles.

Once again. I believe every one who names the name of Jesus should be baptized. It is a command. but baptism does not save us. Trust in teh death and resurrection of Jesus alone saves us! Water Baptism follows this act of faith.

An excellent study I use as teaching material on Baptism is this:

http://www.arielcontent.org/dcs/pdf/mbs109m.pdf

Free to download and print. Hope you take the short time to read it. It goes into greater depth on some of the questions you raise.
Per Acts 2:38, was baptism in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins or not?...