How Does the Church today, differ from the world?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
True Reets,
I know they weren't perfect by any means yet, the 1st Century church seemed more in order than so many today. I do think they loved one another as Jesus loved the church. I can see that happening lot's more than today. As, in this day and age, "sin abounds" and more and more; "the love of many shall grow cold". Boy howdy has the world ever infiltrated the church as a whole! Ah yes, the Amish...they are definitely "peculiar people"...they just might be onto something...we have many around here. When looking at houses, or going to visit my one sister, you pass their buggee's and horses. I admire them and their ways-for the most part. Wouldn't want to be forced to marry someone they choose, IF they do that, not sure.

Agreed, Act's had tons of issues, just look at Ananias and Sapphira, yikes! Then, comparing today's churches there must be a stark difference in at least, agape love? Only because we have much more devious sin in the world (perhaps because the population has grown immensely?) Satan's image is stamped all over the earth.

And you are correct about God using His people even in the worst generation, amen.
Thanks for your reply.
xx
Yes, not sure about the arranged marriages myself !!
Look back to Genesis Nancy, look at how people acted , so much so that God chose to being about the flood. The world has always been a dark place , the issue we have now is that we are able to be more aware of it because of social media - back in the day it was only if you saw the depravity that existed that you knew about it. Our worlds were smaller. Hence perhaps why Churches ‘ seemed ‘ better - people never talked about things , much was hidden.
To be honest I can look back and think that church life was so much better a few years ago, but even I have to admit that I viewed things through rose coloured glasses, once those glasses were removed and I started to question many of the things that we did ect I suddenly became aware that I just wanted to be a Part of ‘ The real church ‘ ….one with Christ as the head.
Sorry just rambling xx
Rita

• Love
Reactions: amadeus and Nancy

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not sure about that amigo, there were power struggles within the individual churches about ‘ who the people should follow ‘ and in all honesty these struggles existed even with the apostles guiding the churches. There was arguments about the laws, cultures and members being treated unfairly because they were not part of the right Jewish sect. So these church had good teaching , and the gospels from the apostles, as we do , but they still went astray.
Don’t get me wrong , you raise a good point.
Whether we like it or not the Church is made up of people who mess up, at the heart of the gospel is accountability and forgiveness- they go hand in hand, maybe that’s where the balance is out of sync.
We often need to remember the real battle within the spiritual realm, the battle changed directions 2000 years ago , Satans first line of attack would be the Church, so of course there were and always will be issues, conflict ect.
Rita
And the true apostles corrected that stuff . Just cause there were false leaders amongst them as well .
Sure they were false leaders who loved to have the pre eminence . And JOHN was gonna deal with diotrophes too .
TRUE leaders CORRECT . Todays leaders hug folks to hades .
What we have IN THE BIBLE , that shows us how we and leaders ought to be . CORRECT anything and everything false .
or in error of any sort . And do so fast . And preach n teach that pattern left to us in the bible .
This lamb gonna stick to the bible , this generation may do as it pleases . But on the day of judgment
let no man , or woman try and blame me . I was doing RIGHT by trying to get folk back in the BIBLE
and to learn and DO that pattern . Judgement day is real . And i warn us all , many will wail on it .
But i have come to REMIND us , GET IN THOSE BIBLES . Learn that pattern JESUS set
learn ER teaching OF HIS and of the apostels . Learn it , embrace it , love and do it .
Cause IT Was inspired by GOD . And By grace I happen to know IF GOD INSPIRED IT , WE BESS KEEP IT .
ITS for our own good unto HIS GLORY .
Hope that encouraged ya . GO ahead , lift those hands and just praise the Lord .
So i want us all to say as one . THE PATTERN THAT was recorded in that bible
is for our good , cause GOD inspired it , And holy men of GOD wrote pure and holy letters
inspired by the SPIRIT which if a man or woman does take heed unto it , WILL BUILD THEM UP
KEEP a CHURCH SAFE . FOR GOD ACTUALLY KNOWS MORE THAN MAN . heavy emphasis on the last part .
WAY too many pastors think THEY KNOW MORE THAN GOD and CAN KEEP a church better than
the advice GOD INSPIRED . NOT LOOKING GOOD for them , . not looking good .

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Today I pulled out a book I bought a while back (Will the Real Heretics Please Stand Up) and was looking through it. The author states the truth about "liberal" Christians" as well as "conservative" Christians. Here are some excerpts from the book:

"Christians today frequently pride themselves on being different from the world, but in reality they are usually only different from a 'particular segment' of the world."
"...the attitudes and lifestyle of liberal Christians are little different from that of liberal non-Christians"

And, this is quite true as I had unknowingly went to two of the liberal church's! They will hate you if you're not liberal like them. I was not welcomed at either, not so all inclusive after all, lol...anyone BUT a biblical Christian.

He goes on to say that "The same principle is true of evangelicals. Because we cling to conservative American values, we we tell ourselves that we are acting independently of our culture. But, conservative attitudes can be just as much a part of the world as liberal ones. Haven't our attitudes on divorce, entertainment,and other issues in response to changes in our culture? In fact, there is little difference spiritually between molding ourselves after the liberal segment of society or molding ourselves after the conservative segment of society. The reason is that what's considered conservative today, was liberal only a few decades ago." In reality, the Twentieth (and 21st) century church is married to the world. The attitudes, lifestyle, and issues of the world are soon the attitudes, lifestyle, and issues of the church"

He goes on to speak about how christians go to counselors (which is not a bad thing depending on the counselor's worldview). Christians become alcoholics, they have family problems, divorce, remarry...

The only difference it seems between believers and unbelievers is the fact that Christians have faith in God and proclaim that Jesus is the only way to salvation, I agree. But isn't it sad that that is the ONLY thing that seems to separate us?

Back in Jesus day, they were very different from the world then. And you could know for sure they were Christians by their way of life and worship of the one True God.
I worry so for this generation, especially when I see so many kids HAVING kids! And not many young parents of today have had the gospel given to them, or were raised by Atheists and teach the same to generation after generation, what chance do they have really? Unless they have someone in their lives pulling for them, praying for them, directing them in the "way to go".

Please do not think that I'm trying to limit God here in any way but, I believe the time for a true revival within the church, as a whole, today, is not going to happen unless small groups of already saved people can bring it about within their circle. Gone are the days of tent revivals and agape love, and a family like atmosphere within today's church's...this is just my personal experience and belief.

Anybody like to add to this? Pro or Anti...? :)
The way I see it is the world in scripture is referring to the Judaism practice going on in the age that Christ was in. They had their religious buildings and their religious practices. I would would say that the church today is merely only a mirror image or a play act of what has already occurred.

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
And the true apostles corrected that stuff . Just cause there were false leaders amongst them as well .
Sure they were false leaders who loved to have the pre eminence . And JOHN was gonna deal with diotrophes too .
TRUE leaders CORRECT . Todays leaders hug folks to hades .
What we have IN THE BIBLE , that shows us how we and leaders ought to be . CORRECT anything and everything false .
or in error of any sort . And do so fast . And preach n teach that pattern left to us in the bible .
This lamb gonna stick to the bible , this generation may do as it pleases . But on the day of judgment
let no man , or woman try and blame me . I was doing RIGHT by trying to get folk back in the BIBLE
and to learn and DO that pattern . Judgement day is real . And i warn us all , many will wail on it .
But i have come to REMIND us , GET IN THOSE BIBLES . Learn that pattern JESUS set
learn ER teaching OF HIS and of the apostels . Learn it , embrace it , love and do it .
Cause IT Was inspired by GOD . And By grace I happen to know IF GOD INSPIRED IT , WE BESS KEEP IT .
ITS for our own good unto HIS GLORY .
Hope that encouraged ya . GO ahead , lift those hands and just praise the Lord .
So i want us all to say as one . THE PATTERN THAT was recorded in that bible
is for our good , cause GOD inspired it , And holy men of GOD wrote pure and holy letters
inspired by the SPIRIT which if a man or woman does take heed unto it , WILL BUILD THEM UP
KEEP a CHURCH SAFE . FOR GOD ACTUALLY KNOWS MORE THAN MAN . heavy emphasis on the last part .
WAY too many pastors think THEY KNOW MORE THAN GOD and CAN KEEP a church better than
the advice GOD INSPIRED . NOT LOOKING GOOD for them , . not looking good .
Do you know what Amigo , there Is a time to praise , but equally there is a time to pray.
All I hear is Lift those hands and praise, all the time ….but what about Praying for the countless leaders that you and others sit in judgment over. What about praying for those who are lost in the world instead of condemning them without Hope - Jesus died for the world , his desire is that not one of them is lost.
So we need to preach the good news of the gospel. It’s not just pastors who often think they know more than God sometimes. We all need to be praying, and praising, interceding, holding ourselves personally to account ect ect.

Reactions: amadeus and Nancy

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you know what Amigo , there Is a time to praise , but equally there is a time to pray.
All I hear is Lift those hands and praise, all the time ….but what about Praying for the countless leaders that you and others sit in judgment over. What about praying for those who are lost in the world instead of condemning them without Hope - Jesus died for the world , his desire is that not one of them is lost.
So we need to preach the good news of the gospel. It’s not just pastors who often think they know more than God sometimes. We all need to be praying, and praising, interceding, holding ourselves personally to account ect ect.
They get prayed for , to repent of the evil and to come to Christ . But they gonna be exposed too , until they do repent .
But oh yes , pray for them to repent and come to the saving knowledge of JESUS CHRIST .
Cause many are heaping wrath unto themselves on the day of wrath . And being we desire none to perish
lets be praying they repent asap fast . Perhaps asap and fast was overkill , but it made a point .
Now i leave us with a word from revelation .
And i am hoping this will help some folks to see a serious error that had occured back then in a church
Because that same error is HUGE in todays many churches . And , yeah i dont desire any to perish .
I have this against you , you ALLOW . take note that word says ALLOW .
You allow that false prophetess to teach and to seduce .
Well , not on my watch . THEM falses ones gonna be exposed . I have zero desire to allow them
to fleece and to seduce the flocks . Be encouaged rita . YES we sure should be in prayer as well .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

Marvelloustime

Sep 15, 2020
Heaven bound
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
They get prayed for , to repent of the evil and to come to Christ . But they gonna be exposed too , until they do repent .
But oh yes , pray for them to repent and come to the saving knowledge of JESUS CHRIST .
Cause many are heaping wrath unto themselves on the day of wrath . And being we desire none to perish
lets be praying they repent asap fast . Perhaps asap and fast was overkill , but it made a point .
Now i leave us with a word from revelation .
And i am hoping this will help some folks to see a serious error that had occured back then in a church
Because that same error is HUGE in todays many churches . And , yeah i dont desire any to perish .
I have this against you , you ALLOW . take note that word says ALLOW .
You allow that false prophetess to teach and to seduce .
Well , not on my watch . THEM falses ones gonna be exposed . I have zero desire to allow them
to fleece and to seduce the flocks . Be encouaged rita . YES we sure should be in prayer as well .
@amigo de christo
save-image.png

Reactions: amadeus

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, not sure about the arranged marriages myself !!
Look back to Genesis Nancy, look at how people acted , so much so that God chose to being about the flood. The world has always been a dark place , the issue we have now is that we are able to be more aware of it because of social media - back in the day it was only if you saw the depravity that existed that you knew about it. Our worlds were smaller. Hence perhaps why Churches ‘ seemed ‘ better - people never talked about things , much was hidden.
To be honest I can look back and think that church life was so much better a few years ago, but even I have to admit that I viewed things through rose coloured glasses, once those glasses were removed and I started to question many of the things that we did ect I suddenly became aware that I just wanted to be a Part of ‘ The real church ‘ ….one with Christ as the head.
Sorry just rambling xx
Rita
Yes, you're right. It's just more visible with media. Plus we have like, 6-7 billion people in the world now so, that much more sin will abound. Ramble on sister...you have my ear.
xxx

Reactions: Rita

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Ac 12:5Peter therefore was kept in prison: but prayer was made without ceasing of the church unto God for him.

1th 5:17 Pray without ceasing.

1th 5:19Quench not the Spirit.

Php 4:4Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice!
Ps 9:2I will be glad and rejoice in thee: I will sing praise to thy name, O thou most High.

Reactions: Azim

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Today I pulled out a book I bought a while back (Will the Real Heretics Please Stand Up) and was looking through it. The author states the truth about "liberal" Christians" as well as "conservative" Christians. Here are some excerpts from the book:

"Christians today frequently pride themselves on being different from the world, but in reality they are usually only different from a 'particular segment' of the world."
"...the attitudes and lifestyle of liberal Christians are little different from that of liberal non-Christians"

And, this is quite true as I had unknowingly went to two of the liberal church's! They will hate you if you're not liberal like them. I was not welcomed at either, not so all inclusive after all, lol...anyone BUT a biblical Christian.

He goes on to say that "The same principle is true of evangelicals. Because we cling to conservative American values, we we tell ourselves that we are acting independently of our culture. But, conservative attitudes can be just as much a part of the world as liberal ones. Haven't our attitudes on divorce, entertainment,and other issues in response to changes in our culture? In fact, there is little difference spiritually between molding ourselves after the liberal segment of society or molding ourselves after the conservative segment of society. The reason is that what's considered conservative today, was liberal only a few decades ago." In reality, the Twentieth (and 21st) century church is married to the world. The attitudes, lifestyle, and issues of the world are soon the attitudes, lifestyle, and issues of the church"

He goes on to speak about how christians go to counselors (which is not a bad thing depending on the counselor's worldview). Christians become alcoholics, they have family problems, divorce, remarry...

The only difference it seems between believers and unbelievers is the fact that Christians have faith in God and proclaim that Jesus is the only way to salvation, I agree. But isn't it sad that that is the ONLY thing that seems to separate us?

Back in Jesus day, they were very different from the world then. And you could know for sure they were Christians by their way of life and worship of the one True God.
I worry so for this generation, especially when I see so many kids HAVING kids! And not many young parents of today have had the gospel given to them, or were raised by Atheists and teach the same to generation after generation, what chance do they have really? Unless they have someone in their lives pulling for them, praying for them, directing them in the "way to go".

Please do not think that I'm trying to limit God here in any way but, I believe the time for a true revival within the church, as a whole, today, is not going to happen unless small groups of already saved people can bring it about within their circle. Gone are the days of tent revivals and agape love, and a family like atmosphere within today's church's...this is just my personal experience and belief.

Anybody like to add to this? Pro or Anti...? :)
Really there are now soo many man-made doctrines, but knowing there is but one that we should always follow, and that is His.

Reactions: Wynona and Nancy