How Does the Church today, differ from the world?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Today I pulled out a book I bought a while back (Will the Real Heretics Please Stand Up) and was looking through it. The author states the truth about "liberal" Christians" as well as "conservative" Christians. Here are some excerpts from the book:

"Christians today frequently pride themselves on being different from the world, but in reality they are usually only different from a 'particular segment' of the world."
"...the attitudes and lifestyle of liberal Christians are little different from that of liberal non-Christians"

And, this is quite true as I had unknowingly went to two of the liberal church's! They will hate you if you're not liberal like them. I was not welcomed at either, not so all inclusive after all, lol...anyone BUT a biblical Christian.

He goes on to say that "The same principle is true of evangelicals. Because we cling to conservative American values, we we tell ourselves that we are acting independently of our culture. But, conservative attitudes can be just as much a part of the world as liberal ones. Haven't our attitudes on divorce, entertainment,and other issues in response to changes in our culture? In fact, there is little difference spiritually between molding ourselves after the liberal segment of society or molding ourselves after the conservative segment of society. The reason is that what's considered conservative today, was liberal only a few decades ago." In reality, the Twentieth (and 21st) century church is married to the world. The attitudes, lifestyle, and issues of the world are soon the attitudes, lifestyle, and issues of the church"

He goes on to speak about how christians go to counselors (which is not a bad thing depending on the counselor's worldview). Christians become alcoholics, they have family problems, divorce, remarry...

The only difference it seems between believers and unbelievers is the fact that Christians have faith in God and proclaim that Jesus is the only way to salvation, I agree. But isn't it sad that that is the ONLY thing that seems to separate us?

Back in Jesus day, they were very different from the world then. And you could know for sure they were Christians by their way of life and worship of the one True God.
I worry so for this generation, especially when I see so many kids HAVING kids! And not many young parents of today have had the gospel given to them, or were raised by Atheists and teach the same to generation after generation, what chance do they have really? Unless they have someone in their lives pulling for them, praying for them, directing them in the "way to go".

Please do not think that I'm trying to limit God here in any way but, I believe the time for a true revival within the church, as a whole, today, is not going to happen unless small groups of already saved people can bring it about within their circle. Gone are the days of tent revivals and agape love, and a family like atmosphere within today's church's...this is just my personal experience and belief.

Anybody like to add to this? Pro or Anti...? :)

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When interacting in person with other Christians, keep it simple. Love God and love one another. Anything beyond that risks division. I enjoy doctrinal discussions but most will view another as an apostate for having a slightly different belief. With that said, if I was at a Christian church and they began advocating for same-sex relationships, I would quietly and politely excuse myself and never return.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When interacting in person with other Christians, keep it simple. Love God and love one another. Anything beyond that risks division. I enjoy doctrinal discussions but most will view another as an apostate for having a slightly different belief. With that said, if I was at a Christian church and they began advocating for same-sex relationships, I would quietly and politely excuse myself and never return.
Thanks for the reply Patrick,
"if I was at a Christian church and they began advocating for same-sex relationships, I would quietly and politely excuse myself and never return." And, that's exactly what I did :)

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Perhaps, what is needed is for those who claim that they are the Lord's, is for them to begin praying to the Father and confessing their sins.

God promise to us is that if we, who are called by His name will do this then He has said that He will heal our earth.

The problem is that the "Christians" of this planet believe that they are so righteous, that there is no sin that they need to repent of.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Perhaps, what is needed is for those who claim that they are the Lord's, is for them to begin praying to the Father and confessing their sins.

God promise to us is that if we, who are called by His name will do this then He has said that He will heal our earth.

The problem is that the "Christians" of this planet believe that they are so righteous, that there is no sin that they need to repent of.
Yes Jay, I think we all know a few of those Christians. It's not a one time deal, even Peter had to repent AFTER his initial repentance through baptism. We should HATE our sin but not hate ourselves, because we will stumble at times.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The definition of the word, "Christian", as you have indicated with quotation marks, has been changed. Are they truly followers of Christ, if they pay little or no attention to what He said when walking as a man on planet Earth 2000 years ago?

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Today I pulled out a book I bought a while back (Will the Real Heretics Please Stand Up) and was looking through it. The author states the truth about "liberal" Christians" as well as "conservative" Christians. Here are some excerpts from the book:

"Christians today frequently pride themselves on being different from the world, but in reality they are usually only different from a 'particular segment' of the world."
"...the attitudes and lifestyle of liberal Christians are little different from that of liberal non-Christians"

And, this is quite true as I had unknowingly went to two of the liberal church's! They will hate you if you're not liberal like them. I was not welcomed at either, not so all inclusive after all, lol...anyone BUT a biblical Christian.

He goes on to say that "The same principle is true of evangelicals. Because we cling to conservative American values, we we tell ourselves that we are acting independently of our culture. But, conservative attitudes can be just as much a part of the world as liberal ones. Haven't our attitudes on divorce, entertainment,and other issues in response to changes in our culture? In fact, there is little difference spiritually between molding ourselves after the liberal segment of society or molding ourselves after the conservative segment of society. The reason is that what's considered conservative today, was liberal only a few decades ago." In reality, the Twentieth (and 21st) century church is married to the world. The attitudes, lifestyle, and issues of the world are soon the attitudes, lifestyle, and issues of the church"

He goes on to speak about how christians go to counselors (which is not a bad thing depending on the counselor's worldview). Christians become alcoholics, they have family problems, divorce, remarry...

The only difference it seems between believers and unbelievers is the fact that Christians have faith in God and proclaim that Jesus is the only way to salvation, I agree. But isn't it sad that that is the ONLY thing that seems to separate us?

Back in Jesus day, they were very different from the world then. And you could know for sure they were Christians by their way of life and worship of the one True God.
I worry so for this generation, especially when I see so many kids HAVING kids! And not many young parents of today have had the gospel given to them, or were raised by Atheists and teach the same to generation after generation, what chance do they have really? Unless they have someone in their lives pulling for them, praying for them, directing them in the "way to go".

Please do not think that I'm trying to limit God here in any way but, I believe the time for a true revival within the church, as a whole, today, is not going to happen unless small groups of already saved people can bring it about within their circle. Gone are the days of tent revivals and agape love, and a family like atmosphere within today's church's...this is just my personal experience and belief.

Hi Nancy, Great post, thank you. :):)

Love always, Walter And Debbie

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Nancy, Great great post, thank you. :):)

Love always, Walter And Debbie
Thank you brother and sister, it is an interesting subject. And when the author speaks of many of the early church leaders it gets really interesting. Those like Polycarp, a student of the Apostle John, Irenaeus, a student of Polycarp...up to 8 early, major Christian writers. Of course it would be too much to type here, lol...but I would highly recommend the book.
There are some things I might not agree with according to either the early writers and the authors own input. But, how simple they were then. Sigh.
"Come Lord Jesus..."
God's blessings to you both!

• Love
Reactions: WalterandDebbie

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

When I used to walk on faith, I moved to California on my own and a Catholic family took me in and gave me a job. I will always remember their kindness to me. On the other hand, at the time I was Mormon. The Mormons eventually treated me rudely, after I had supported the church as much as anyone else.

I'm not really into revival. And I prefer traditional church. But at church we worship God and praise him and learn about him. And the world doesn't teach that, in fact here in the USA they would like to remove God from government and schools altogether.

Church and the world are vastly different. But I guess it depends on which church you attend.

And the true church had all things in common as recorded in the scriptures. All people were given according to their needs. And that has changed in churches from it's original biblical establishment.

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've been to conservative, liberal, and in between. God calls me to these Churches to proclaim Jesus. Some liberal churches are in rich areas and politicians go there. These are social and to be seen places, I can't preach Jesus there, it makes them uncomfortable. God tells me to leave and I do. In small towns, friendly liberals is what I call it. Just show up on Sunday then do Flower shows, the gospel message falls flat.
Conservative church's are few, most are in between. Don't offend, but that's what I do. Jesus is the reason for the church. Church Steeples used to have " Jesus saves" on them. Most of the time in bible studies, my excitement motivates them. I like that.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply Patrick,
"if I was at a Christian church and they began advocating for same-sex relationships, I would quietly and politely excuse myself and never return." And, that's exactly what I did :)
That is exactly what a lot of folks do on both sides . THEY sit and justify THIER SINS
and go after only the sins of the others . I SEEN this for a long time sister .
Its why i go after both camps . But its also why most all in both camps cannot stand me one little bit .
THEY LOVE ME when i am exposing the other sides sins , but they no lovey me when i expose their own .
Both sides come with teeth too . Now , however , i gotta remind us of something .
I am noticing a huge false solution that is bringing them together . ONLY IT AINT UNDER GOD sister .
The liberal invasion under the guise of nar , social gospel and etc , IT TOO has invaded the charasmetic
evangelical realm and BIG TIME TOO . THEY FOUND OUT a unifying FORCE
that i warn us all WILL UNITE THEM , ONLY IT WONT BE UNDER GOD . not the one IN THE BIBLE .
Its a unifying force that truly is in the business of UNITING and making the peoples as one .
AND it flat out dont matter what faith it is , what religion it is , whether it be pagan , whether it be anything .
ITS UNIFYING THEM ALL .
Any guesses to what it might be .
It can and does unify the athiest , the muslim , the hindu , the buddist , the new ager , the faiths within christendom .
ITS SOMETHING that works on them all and they all are already becoming infected with THIS UNIFYING FORCE at work .
Now its defintely not anything fundemntal . cause the fundamental beliefs of the religoins WONT ALLOW
them to UNITE with one another . NOPE that keeps them all divided .
SO what can unite a muslim , a buddist , an atheist , a witch , a homosexual , a human being .
WELL THEY CALL IT LOVE . BUT IT AINT NO LOVE OF GOD SISTER .
BUT that is what they do . Everything is now centering on a love that unites , has common ground
believeth a lie . And more and more the muslim joins hands with the jew , the christain , the hindu
the whatever du . And they all holler LOVE . THAT IS THE UNIFYER at work
under a guise that would draw all to BE AS ONE right UNDER HIM . PS , IT AINT GOD EITHER .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you brother and sister, it is an interesting subject. And when the author speaks of many of the early church leaders it gets really interesting. Those like Polycarp, a student of the Apostle John, Irenaeus, a student of Polycarp...up to 8 early, major Christian writers. Of course it would be too much to type here, lol...but I would highly recommend the book.
There are some things I might not agree with according to either the early writers and the authors own input. But, how simple they were then. Sigh.
"Come Lord Jesus..."
God's blessings to you both!
Folks can come in with truths , but many do the work of the unifyer . And i speak of the DARK UNIFYER .
REMEMBER THE GOAL . ITS TO UNITE MANKIND AND ALL RELIGOINS , TO FIND COMMON GROUND .
THEY DID IT . they call it love .
EVERY Religion , EVEN THE FALSE ONES , EVEN ATHEISTS have a common belief in them to DO GOOD
to love others etc . THAT is what they focus on too .
LETS just FIND common ground churches , lets just find common ground as they from within
remove the BARRIERS that WILL CAUSE THEM TO UNITE as one .
Breaking down walls , aka , REMOVE FUNDAMENTAL TRUTHS
Buidling bridges , FIND What they all have in common , FOCUS ON THAT .
THESE people have been at work FOR A LONG TIME SISTER .
FOR A VERY LONG TIME .
HOW , how on earth do you obtain POWER and CONTROL over the world .
WELL , you cant come in and attack all the religions , cause most of the world is RELIGIUOS to some degree .
NO , YOU GOTTA TRANFORM THEM FROM WITHIN . THEY DID SISTER and they still are at work on it .
BUT how on earth do you get a muslim and a christain or any other religoin
to come be as one . KEEP slowly removing their core beleifs and replace it with What they call love .
EVERY RELIGOIN believes in a form of love , as does the world .
SO HOW TO UNIFY THEM ALL . well as i said break down those barries and build up those bridges .
THEY DID IT SISTER . And i am so sorry most are falling for it and fell for it too .

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amigo,

The "God is Love" is in the liberal churches and at the doors and in the pews of conservative churches. I heard a Methodist Woman bishop say, when talking about ordaining gays, that she will choose love over the bible. But , there is something else. I cringe when someone says "I don't know what's in their heart", when someone in the church isn't conforming.

• Love
Reactions: amigo de christo

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amigo,

The "God is Love" is in the liberal churches and at the doors and in the pews of conservative churches. I heard a Methodist Woman bishop say, when talking about ordaining gays, that she will choose love over the bible. But , there is something else. I cringe when someone says "I don't know what's in their heart", when someone in the church isn't conforming.
OH my friend HE IS LOVE . but , that methodist lady could so easily have been corrected .
PS , i cant help see the word bishop too . Thats another topic for another day , OH , well lets just say itreal quick like
SHE OUGHT NOT BE A BISHOP .
okay back to the subject of GOD IS Love . And her response to I CHOOSE LOVE OVER THE BIBLE .
SCREECH the brakes . SINCE WHEN DID THE BIBLE and LOVE BECOME OPPOSING FORCES . SO SHE DEAD WRONG WITH THAT .
And two .
And this is very huge . The devil can quote anything in the scrips . DID YOU Know that .
HE can . BUT , remember his VERSION of what he quotes is gonna have A TWIST TOO IT .
SO lets give an example .
SATAN can say GOD IS LOVE , but the love he brings WONT BE REJOICING IN TRUTH .
And the last time i checked CHARITY REJOICES IN TRUTH , NOT INQUITY .
The devil , in fact , and for a fact HAS BEEN USING many men and many women to also holler GOD IS LOVE
the only problem is , THEY DONT KNOW GOD , THEY DONT KNOW HIS LOVE .
SEE the problem yet . That ol devil aint a dummy my friend . HE KNOWS HOW TO DECIEVE and believe me
HE has been real BUSY decieiving the churches from within .
Now please dont be suprised or mavel . FOR satan himself can appear as an angel of light
thus HIS , as in satans , MINISTIRS SURE CAN APPEAR as men of righteousness and DECIEVE THE HECK OUT OF ALL WHO SIT UNDER THEM .
OH its real . And its gotten big time worse , specially as of late .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rogerduck , you be encouaraged now , cause i didnt say one word in my above written statement that was not true .
The problem is most folks are not wise unto the wiles of satan .
AND WHY .
CAUSE THEY HAVE NOT BEEN MADE WISE IN CHRIST and SOUND DOCTRINE . BIBLE TIME .
THERE IT IS . BIBLE TIME . I suggest we all get GLUED IN THAT BOOK and , FAST TOO .