How Easy To Look Past

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

hldude33

Apr 28, 2010
"How Easy To Look Past"
By Zach Wood
Luke 7:39
When the Pharisee who had invited him saw this, he said to himself, "If this man were a prophet,
he would know who is touching him and what kind of woman she is--that she is a sinner."
How nice it is to have some things in life that are easy to do. We like easy things, do we not? With all the hard things we deal with day in and day out, we enjoy something that does not take much effort at times. We get worn out and it is nice to have something to do that does not require a lot of effort. There are also some easy things we can do, however, that are not as great for us to do. Sometimes, we easily say things we do not mean. We have all been there, done that. Many of us catch ourselves saying things daily that are not nice.
One of the easiest things for us, as Christians, is that we look at other's faults far more than we look at our own. (Ouch! I think I just hit a nerve!) It seems one of the worst things we can do in our witness for Christ is cast judgment on someone else without first realizing that we, ourselves, need to have an adjustment. This past week, I was reading this Scripture about Jesus being anointed by a sinful woman. I read over it several times and I was touched in a way I had never been before. When I read this passage above that states what the Pharisee said to Jesus about the woman, I immediately felt like I was in his shoes.
There have been countless times when I have pointed my finger at other people and criticized them without having first taken a look at my own life and sin and dealt with that. Now, I am not saying we never have the right to find and address sin in other people's lives. I am not saying that at all. What I want to be clear about is that we find it much easier to look past our own problems and sins and scold others for their sins instead. Kind of like finding the plank in someone's eye without first removing ours.
My heart breaks seeing this woman who has just come into this house and poured perfume on Jesus' feet only to have a Pharisee say that she is a sinner. I can just feel the harsh tone he uses, with disgust, as he casts this horrible, verbal judgment on her. We have a lot to learn from this scenario. As Jesus showed love toward her, we also need to show love toward others and not immediately cast our stones at them for their sins. We need to love the people and hate the sin. Many times easier said than done. The world needs to see us opening our arms of love and acceptance instead of finger pointing and casting stones. God is Love. We need to model that. The world desperately needs to see it.

Reactions: Streetsweeper

forgivenWretch

Feb 10, 2008
Tennessee
amenbluheart.jpg

truthquest

May 23, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
These are scriptures I try to keep in mind. I have found in other forums and groups that love is viewed as not that important to Christians today. But I believe it is, especially considering the time in which we live where the love of so many has grown cold.

1 Corinthians 13

The Greatest Gift
[sup]1[/sup] Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. [sup]2[/sup] And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. [sup]3[/sup] And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned,[sup][a][/sup] but have not love, it profits me nothing.
[sup]4[/sup] Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; [sup]5[/sup] does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; [sup]6[/sup] does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; [sup]7[/sup] bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
[sup]8[/sup] Love never fails. But whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away. [sup]9[/sup] For we know in part and we prophesy in part. [sup]10[/sup] But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away.
[sup]11[/sup] When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things. [sup]12[/sup] For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known.
[sup]13[/sup] And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.