How important is like-mindedness?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let's say you are involved in a small group or Bible study. How important is it for you to be surrounded with like minded people? Why?

I think am starting to understand an important difference between my expectations and the expectations of the average member of a church small group; I am hoping you guys will help me nail it down. For me, I am most interested in diverse discussion rather than group consensus, but in my experience, this seems to set me up as 'the fly in the ointment' in many small Christian groups - especially BS. I want to discuss as many views as possible and deconstruct and explore all the angles the group can think of to present. Dissecting established Christian world views helps me understand my faith and beliefs.

Here is my idea of why I operate with these expectations - I come from an academic background - I was educated before I fully explored my Christianity and I am extremely curious about what theoretical and applied Christianity look like. I love to think about it and I am not afraid of being wrong or the truth I will discover.

Unfortunately for me, the majority of groups I have joined seem to be most interested in quickly establishing consensus and than celebrating it. 'Jesus wept.' Everyone then agrees that Jesus cried when His friend died - then everyone feels closer to one another that they are all like minded about the subject. As if, consensus, is the entire point of reading the scripture - belief and truth and faith and group identity seems to all hinge on this crucial moment in the examination of the selected passage.

Is this an accurate assessment? Because if it is, my expectations are causing me to introduce doubt into the group and maybe damaging people's certainty - and if it is, it maybe be working against the goal of the group. It is a difficult topic for me to discuss because the natural conclusion is for me to give in to a sinful conclusion - that the members of these groups do not like to think or just want to have a pep rally instead of looking for truth - i realize that this is a haughty and arrogant conclusion and only works to isolate me from the Body so I refuse to give in to it. it is not my desire to derail the group or discourage people from getting what they need from the group. Actually what I am fearing deep down is that I am not going to ever get what I am looking for in a small group or Bible study. BTW, I attend Protestant BS and small groups rather than Catholic. I realize this so I am bring this real concern I am experiencing to all of you for an honest discussion.

So, what are your expectation for a small group?
How do you feel when a person introduces different angles or perspectives?
Is agreement important? Is a conclusion important?
At the end of the Bible study or small group meeting, what makes you conclude that it was a 'good' or enjoyable experience?
Is it important for your thoughts to heard? Is it important for people to agree with your conclusions?

Thanks in advance

John S

Jun 4, 2013
Pennsylvania
People like to have their opinions validated by the other members of a group. It makes them feel more intelligent. IF you want people with differing opinions, you may need to search out other "educated" people, who may not be as insecure. You can determine for yourself what the definition of educated is.

If your definition from Mr. Wink is truly indicative of your beliefs, then you and I have a similar belief system. Almost no Christians want to hear that Jesus was/is nonviolent because they don't want to believe that He was/is.Far too many would rather pull out a gun when a person punches them in the face instead of offering to be punched on the other cheek.
Gandhi, the pacifict of India, said that he liked Jesus but he hated Christians.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah, I agree with you. Not sure why I feel sad about it. Perhaps I feel a bit isolated.

John S

Jun 4, 2013
Pennsylvania
Isolated is probably the wrong word. Lack of stimulation may be the correct phrase.
You and I are probably similar in that when we say something, we don't want 50,000 Bible verses as an answer. We want a discussion, even if it is speculative.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John S said:
Isolated is probably the wrong word. Lack of stimulation may be the correct phrase.
You and I are probably similar in that when we say something, we don't want 50,000 Bible verses as an answer. We want a discussion, even if it is speculative.
Absolutely.

John S

Jun 4, 2013
Pennsylvania
My thread in Eschatology and the first post in the thread "Israel of God" - or something like that - are somewhat speculative. It may not be the kind of speculation that you are looking for, or even agree with, but my beliefs are usually a little different.

My advice - Take some time off from talk sites and let your mind rejuvenate.
Find some people that will have a discussion with you - MAYBE even an atheist - and maybe your juices will begin flowing again.

Mar 8, 2013
diversity for the saek of diversity is just as nearly as mindless as consencuc fot the sake of concensus. Both are focused on the wrogn thing! haha!