How Is A Christian Lady Supposed to Dress?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

emekrus

Apr 18, 2015
Nigeria
Faith
Christian
Country
Nigeria
“In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with braided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; but (which becometh women professing godliness).” 1 Timothy 2: 9-10

At a particular time, as I studied my scripture, this very scripture above, struck a chord in my spirit (witness of the Spirit). But I’m so confused as to why so many Christian ladies neglect its application in their dress code.

Worse of all, so many Christian leaders seem to be silent concerning this particular scripture. You know, we still see so many Christian sisters, dress so worldly in aberration to the above scripture. We still see sisters wear immodest attires around, even to the Church.

We still see Christian women adorn themselves with gold, pearl (Jewelries). Braid (Plait) their hair. Even wear costly arrays, yet no one seems to see anything wrong with it, except a few leaders that I know.

It amazed me the most, that even when I talked to lady minister concerning this scripture, her only defense was that, it was the Apostle Paul’s peculiar perspective. Then she also added, that if I preached that kind of doctrine in my Church, that people will not come.

Yes, sure enough, I believe if I preach this doctrine in its unadulterated form, many sisters (even bothers) will stop coming-although I’m not interested in only quantity, but also in quality-But the question that I’ve kept battling with-and I’m yet to get satisfying answer to is…

These Christian leaders that are allowing the sisters in their Churches to dress as they like, without any form of instruction, especially from the above scripture, is it that God told them, he has changed his mind concerning that injunction from Paul?

Or do they also hold the same opinion with the female preacher I consulted, that it was only Paul’s opinion then, and that it does not apply now?

Well, I’m not here to display any form of holier-than-thou attitude. After all, I want to make heaven, and God has told me that the only way for me to be saved, is to give myself fully to the doctrines of the scripture and also teach them to others to be saved as well (1Timothy 4: 16).

So please, I’m not here for any form of argument. I want you to spiritually and scripturally ponder over this scripture above by the Holy Spirit in you, and give me your opinion.

Please, let’s lay aside other people’s commentaries, unless you deem it fit, by the Spirit. Pls, let’s speak as one who will give account of our words on the Day of Judgment.

Honestly and spiritually, what do you make of this scripture above?

I’m open-Hearted to Learn.

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I suppose a lot depends on how you define 'modesty'. It varies from place to place and from one generation to another.

The same goes for hair. Surely Christian women should be neat and tidy in appearance, so we have to do something with our hair. Does a simple plait count as 'braiding', or does it mean a really fancy hairdo that took hours to create?

Gold and pearls may not be appropriate, but what about jewellery made from non-precious materials?

Doug_E_Fresh

gяελ нατ jεsμs ƒяεακ
Dec 7, 2013
Pennsylvania
dswdoctrine.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The main problem is applying this cross-culturally, and cross-contextually. You have to look at what was done then, and what was capable then, vs. what is done now, and capable now. Back then, gold and pearls and things like that were much more about 'status' and wealth than they are now. Additionally, they couldn't make pearl-like plastic ones at 60 cents each either. Ultimately, I think that's why this issue isn't talked about because we have far more important things to talk about than how someone dresses.

emekrus

Apr 18, 2015
Nigeria
Faith
Christian
Country
Nigeria
Deborah_ said:
I suppose a lot depends on how you define 'modesty'. It varies from place to place and from one generation to another.

The same goes for hair. Surely Christian women should be neat and tidy in appearance, so we have to do something with our hair. Does a simple plait count as 'braiding', or does it mean a really fancy hairdo that took hours to create?

Gold and pearls may not be appropriate, but what about jewellery made from non-precious materials?

For starters, the Apostle Paul defined modesty with stipulations that followed his modesty injunction. Then if you check the dictionary you'll also see the clear meaning of modesty. It means to dress in such a way not to draw attraction (which is lustful attraction).

Then for braiding of hair, the last time I checked my dictionary and the Strong's concordance (for the Greek meaning) Braid or Broid means the same thing as plait. So without any attempt to twist the above scripture, braid means the same thing as plait you can check up the meaning yourself.

Then as for Jewelries, those precious metals there represent all metal in totality( The Apostle couldn't have had enough time to mention all the metals by their names). Though people may want to argue this point. But as for me, to be on the safer side, I think it would be more proper to avoid any and everything that has to do with Metallic content for adornment.

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
emekrus said:
For starters, the Apostle Paul defined modesty with stipulations that followed his modesty injunction. Then if you check the dictionary you'll also see the clear meaning of modesty. It means to dress in such a way not to draw attraction (which is lustful attraction).
But that's the problem - what draws attention in one culture wouldn't cause anyone to bat an eyelid in another.

In some parts of the Muslim world, modesty = nothing less than a full burka. In other parts of the world, bare breasts are normal everyday attire and don't cause the local men to lust.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Perhaps you should quote the whole verse.