How is Christmas supposed to feel?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I think when I started this thread I was thinking of the difference between the Christian's view of Christmas compared to the world's. Peace rather than panic. But I am finding it difficult to really explain.

shortangel

Aug 23, 2020
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
that is true, Christmas can be stressful & sometimes people do get depressed, i think everyone feels differnt about Christmas & it's true that it is a time of reflection & celebrateing the birth of Jesus, i just put up our LED nativity scene it's a new one because i have a feeling our other cereamic nativity scene got broken

Hippie

Dec 2, 2022
Rossville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We should see Christmas as a celebration as the birth of our Lord. A time of joy. peace, love etc. But the world in many ways turned it into a pagan holiday. Many have changed it into a time of material things not truly remembering it as a time of celebrating the true meaning of that day. It is also true that we don't know the exact date when he was born because man created time. That is why we think he was born December 25th.

Reactions: shortangel

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
We should see Christmas as a celebration as the birth of our Lord. A time of joy. peace, love etc. But the world in many ways turned it into a pagan holiday. Many have changed it into a time of material things not truly remembering it as a time of celebrating the true meaning of that day. It is also true that we don't know the exact date when he was born because man created time. That is why we think he was born December 25th.
Sorry to ask, but why are your posts underlined\/ It's quiet distracting.

Hippie

Dec 2, 2022
Rossville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry I won't click on the U anymore. I'll text like this. I really didn't think of it as a disturbing thing.

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm thankful for Christ every day. I pray and He listens to me and answers, Halleluiah. I pray even more as I'm older now.

The stores started selling Christmas decorations almost all year and kills the spirit of the special time of shopping with the family. That rush of Christmas shopping within that one month from Thanksgiving eve, was exhilarating for the last minute gifts. The cooking that our Mother's table had is what we miss. The love that was in the food and the laughter as a family vanished when my parents passed away. That may be the cause why Christmas doesn't feel right anymore.

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
by the way, on Thanksgiving eve, it was plan making time for shopping, to stand in line for black Friday deals, no computers then. But the malls were packed and choirs and music filled the malls. You actually met friends and neighbors there and the smell of candle shops as you walked by. Yes, don't forget the movies at Christmas time. Back when movies didn't make fun of Christians. Those times are gone.

Hippie

Dec 2, 2022
Rossville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can understand how that can be very depressing, stressful and frustrating all in one. I am very sorry to hear that. I wish and I hope your friends the church which is also family prays and helps you get through it all.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
You often hear people say it doesn't feel like Christmas. That Christmas feeling! Used to be excitement waiting for Father Christmas and then for the children waiting for Father Christmas.

I was thinking about why Christmas isn't the same as it used to be. It doesn't have the same impact because back when I was a kid and also as a young mum we had to wait till the 24th or the day itself for our festive treats but these days you can get mince pies all year round basically, and nuts, tangerines or satsumas etc. are for everyday not just for Christmas.

The large boxes of Roses and Quality Streets etc. go on sale in the supermarkets early because those clever people in marketing know that if we buy one to 'put away' it won't last till the 25th and we will have to buy another.

Back when I was girl the celebration of Christmas was condensed into a few days between 24th and New Year's day with most of the week in between being work days. And much more importance was given to the religious side of it than there is today. It was simpler and all the better for that in my view.

We never had much in the way of treats at all when I was a little girl - people didn't spend their money on such trivial things and parents were not so indulgent. The odd ice cream in the summer or the occasional packet of crisps or bag of sweets was about as good as it got; so as Christmas approached we had all those treats to anticipate and look forward to over the few days of Christmas. It made it more special somehow that it was a once-a year treat.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Something you said reminded me of this scene with Martha and Mary, Pearl.

Martha and Mary Luke 10

38As they traveled along, Jesus entered a village where a woman named Martha welcomed Him into her home. 39She had a sister named Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to His message. 40But Martha was distracted by all the preparations to be made. She came to Jesus and said, “Lord, do You not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Tell her to help me!”

41“Martha, Martha,” the Lord replied, “you are worried and upset about many things.42But only one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen the good portion, and it will not be taken away from her.”

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are all reminiscing of Christmas past. I know that feeling too. But Jesus has brought us a Christmas future with Him in Glory. Let us look forward and rejoice in the salvation that Jesus died and shed His blood on the cross for us. We are invited to the wedding feast one day. That celebration will last forever.

Hippie

Dec 2, 2022
Rossville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There has been many families and times like that. Christmas should not be seen as a material time. It's a time we celebrate the birth of our Lord. It's a time of families and friends to gather together love joy peace etc. It's nice to have some of those material things, but put real meaning of church first.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Very true it can be stressful for some
Cooking Christmas dinner for a family can be a stressful time for the cook, especially those who aim for perfection. I was told one year that I had 'cheated' because I served frozen veg instead of spending hours peeling and slicing. That is not the Christmas spirit. The cook/mum should feel able to enjoy the day with everybody else.

A couple of years ago my husband and I were invited to Christmas lunch at the home of our son's partner. The time arranged for us to be collected came and went with no word. Eventually - hours late - we heard that their had been a big row and she had kicked him out. So the festive day turned sour all because she had aimed for perfection and failed trying to do everything instead of asking for help. She had made way too much food - all from scratch - and got mad because nobody was helping.

So my advice to anybody planning to cook the Christmas meal is to know your limitations, ask for help and use frozen if necessary.

TheOneHeLoves

Nov 15, 2022
Houston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's Advent but it doesn’t feel like Christmas yet. But how is Christmas supposed to feel? Perhaps it’s different for everybody.

I usually enjoy the peace and quiet later on Christmas Eve after it’s gone dark and all the shops have shut and the traffic on the road outside is down to a bare minimum, when the TV is showing ‘Carols From Kings’ and there is an air of anticipation. But what am I waiting for? Is it for what I hope Christmas day will bring in the way of gifts or is it for what I hope it will be like as I spend it with family.

I’ve been thinking about these things this morning and I think it must all be a pot-pouri of remembered feelings from right back over the years since I was a child.

Being without my tree and other Christmas trimmings last year has had the effect of making me think less about the preparations and more about Jesus and his place in my life:

• I don’t need fairy lights when I have the Light of the World.
  • I don’t need evergreens to remind me of the hope of everlasting life in Christ.
  • I don’t need chocolate when I can feed on the Bread of Life
  • I don’t need booze when I can drink the New Wine or the Water of Life.
  • I don’t need gifts when I already have the best gift of all – my new life in Christ.
  • I don’t need fancy festive food when I can feast on the abundance of God’s house and drink from the river of delights.
I feel a true peace in my heart as I sit here and I hope you will all enjoy a peaceful and joyful Christmas however you spend it. And I hope the best gift you will receive is a new gift from God; perhaps a word of encouragement or a new insight or a greater awareness of his presence.

God bless.
Love, Pat xx
I stopped "doing Christmas" years ago. It bothers me when people say "do Christmas"- I want to yell you don't do Christmas -you exchange gifts.

Christmas is everyday. Easter is everyday.

I am so thankful God opened my eyes years ago.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I stopped "doing Christmas" years ago. It bothers me when people say "do Christmas"- I want to yell you don't do Christmas -you exchange gifts.

Christmas is everyday. Easter is everyday.

I am so thankful God opened my eyes years ago.

That’s right.

This reminds me of the scripture where Paul says to people in Colossians,

Colossians 2:6-7. So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live your lives in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness.

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They had some kind of tree they worshiped and decorated in Israel too. Jeremiah spoke against it.

These are not Christmas trees, these are idols. But traditions of men started back then.

Jeremiah 10:3-5 -

For the customs of the peoples are futile;
For one cuts a tree from the forest,
The work of the hands of the workman, with the ax.
They decorate it with silver and gold;
They fasten it with nails and hammers
So that it will not topple.
They are upright, like a palm tree,
And they cannot speak;
They must be carried,
Because they cannot go by themselves.
Do not be afraid of them,
For they cannot do evil,
Nor can they do any good.”

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My mom likes to put up a tree, and put up the lights. She just looks at it as something to do and decorations. My mother as professed her belief in the Lord Jesus Christ, had came to this world, died, was buried, and resurrected. That gives me reassurance that all she does is try to live by the spirit, even though she struggles in the flesh just like the rest of us. To become rooted, and share the message of Christ is the answer to all of the worlds problems that come and go especially with the breaking down of our bodies, sickness, and death, that in Him, he has taken care of it all for all the world. Not to condemn the world, but to save it according to what he suggested in John 3:17.

For me, I do not care if people put up a Christmas tree, or cook and gather together and eat food, and christimas lights, and watching the Macy day parade, as the end of the day, do you have faith in God, and do you put him first in your life, and love your neighbor as yourself ; and go about without condemning them but share the Lord as the answer to everything which leads to new spiritual life in faith?

Reactions: Pearl