How is Jesus Christ to be sin for us?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“Now then, we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were pleading through us: we implore you on Christ’s behalf, be reconciled to God. For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.”
‭‭II Corinthians‬ ‭5:20-21‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

Read above scripture.

After you have read this scripture what do you think about when you read it?

How did God make He who knew know sin to be sin for us, that we might become right in HIM by faith?

in Christ,
Matthew Gallagher

Last edited:
Reactions: Lambano

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
“Now then, we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were pleading through us: we implore you on Christ’s behalf, be reconciled to God. For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.”

Read above scripture.

How did God make He who knew know sin to be sin for us, that we might become right in HIM by faith?

in Christ,
Matthew Gallagher
Phillipians 2:6-8
who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men. And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross.

Reactions: MatthewG

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How did God make He who knew know sin to be sin for us, that we might become right in HIM by faith
Sin and death have always been interrelated. "On the day you eat of it (the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge), you will surely die" (Genesis 2:17) "Through one man sin entered into the world, and death through sin, and so death spread to all mankind, because all sinned". (Romans 5:12) In His death, Christ became our sin.

Another verse that comes to mind: For what the Law could not do, weak as it was through the flesh, God did: sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and as an offering for sin, He condemned sin in the flesh. (Romans 8:3)

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Read above scripture.

in Christ,
Matthew Gallagher

Hi Matt,
Jesus, who “did not know sin,” was made to “be sin for us,” dying as a human sin offering, to relieve persons of the charge and penalty of sin. Relieved of the charge of sin, such ones could thus appear righteous in God’s eyes, hence “become God’s righteousness by means of him [Jesus].”

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for all three of you sharing with me here!

Reactions: Lambano

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Read above scripture.

in Christ,
Matthew Gallagher

He didn't tell us how- He just told us He did! And that is what I rejoice in that Jesus became all my sin and my Father punished Him in myplace and now I stand righteous before God because of Him!

Reactions: MatthewG and farouk

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Read above scripture.

in Christ,
Matthew Gallagher
This always makes me think of Colossians,

Colossians 2:13-15 KJV
13) And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;
14) Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;
15) And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.

The "handwriting" referred to a handwritten record of debt, like a promisory note. Paul made use of that with Philemon,

Philemon 1:18-19 KJV
18) If he hath wronged thee, or oweth thee ought, put that on mine account;
19) I Paul have written it with mine own hand, I will repay it: albeit I do not say to thee how thou owest unto me even thine own self besides.

I don't know how it was Jesus became sin, but I believe He did, and was nailed to the cross so that the sin He became - that of all the world - would be removed in His righteous death.

Much love!

ewq1938

Jul 11, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2Co_5:21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

Christ wasn't "made sin" he was made to be the [/B][/U]sin sacrifice[/B][/U]. That's what Paul means and this same thing is used in the OT, "sin" being shorthand of "sin offering".

Lev 4:29 And he shall lay his hand upon the head of the sin offering, and slay the sin offering in the place of the burnt offering.

H2403
????? ?????
chat?t?a^'a^h chat?t?a^'th
khat-taw-aw', khat-tawth'
From H2398; an offence (sometimes habitual sinfulness), and its penalty, occasion, sacrifice, or expiation; also (concretely) an offender: - punishment (of sin), purifying (-fication for sin), sin (-ner, offering).

Here "sin offering" is actually just one word that means sin, but it is meant to be understood as the offering for sin not sin itself and Paul being Jewish would know and use shorthand way of speaking of the offering for sin.

The verse should be understood as "For he hath made him to be a sin offering for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him."

(TLV) He made the One who knew no sin to become a sin offering on our behalf, so that in Him we might become the righteousness of God.

(Williams) He made Him who personally knew nothing of sin to be a sin-offering for us, so that through union with Him we might come into right standing with God.

Barnes:

2 Corinthians 5:21

For he hath made him to be sin for us - The Greek here is, ‘for him who knew no sin, he hath made sin, or a sin-offering for us.’

Clarke:

2 Corinthians 5:21

For he hath made him to be sin for us - He made him who knew no sin, (who was innocent), a sin-offering for us.

Matthew Henry:

He was made sin; not a sinner, but sin, that is, a sin-offering, a sacrifice for sin.